[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you make money off of photography? If so how much and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2618.jpg (59KB, 400x296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2618.jpg
59KB, 400x296px
Do any of you make money off of photography? If so how much and how?

Should I consider getting it as a hobby?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width400
Image Height296
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I do wedding photos and video for money to feed my gear hunger. I wouldn't try to do it full time since my regular job pays well and has normal hours.

18k last year on photo jobs
>>
>>2979466
Oh I was wondering if anyone ever sold their photos online for websites or so
>>
I do weddings, corporate functions and portraits for $$$ and creative shoots for fun. I make about 20k a year and still have a normal job. Make someday Ill get to quit it
>>
>>2979308
I shoot real estate and make 40k a year. been doing it for 6 months.
>>
>>2979543
I'm guessing by northern California you don't mean 10 miles below Oregon?
>>
File: tree_small.jpg (1MB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
tree_small.jpg
1MB, 1000x667px
>>2979308
>>2979495
You're not going to make money selling photos (prints) online unless you're a hotshot that's been in the industry for years and have a name for yourself. Or... unless you shoot cosplay photos and charge the cosplayers money to have a non-watermarked image (hint: they usually don't care and will just repost your shit watermarked because it "gives you more exposure")

You make money doing photography by taking jobs from craigslist and facebook classified groups and if things work out and you do good work then people will keep hiring you and that's how you move up.

Should you consider photography as a hobby? ABSOLUTELY!
There are few hobbies that you will take part in that make you grow as an artist and as a creative person in general. As soon as you learn how photography works and get into it the world suddenly becomes a whole lot more beautiful and you start seeing beauty in things you only saw as ordinary before.
Combine knowing how to take good photographs with knowing how to edit those photographs and you've got yourself the know-how to start making some serious money.

But this must all come from a place of passion, do not expect to pick up a camera gain the ability to charge people to take pictures of their pets. It all requires hard work and dedication, just like any other creative field.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4272
Image Height2848
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:12:08 08:03:51
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/13.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2979495
The economics of this are rough. You need to be efficient and prolific to profit.

I only have met people who tried with various levels of success and they all were hugely discouraged.

You can strike gold now and again, but it really is a shit business model.
>>
>>2979656
Doesn't shutterstock buy them if they're good enough?
>>
>>2979660
For pennies.
>>
>>2979308
Some musicians make millions.
None of them consider it a "hobby", all of them have been practicing for 10+ years before starting to make money.

Just like any artistic pursuit there's money to be made, but you have to be good, and the fact that the skill required for a technically perfect photo has dropped to nil, means that you have to be exceptional at what you do.

Pick up a camera, have fun, but don't plan on making a dime until trumps out of office at the earliest and you've shot at least 100k photos.

Yeah, you get people picking up a $500 kit offering to do weddings straight off the bat and they do a terrible job, and will never make a business out of it, only scam a handful of plebs.
>>
>>2979671
>>2979656
>>2979668

Hey, not op
I'm from Lebanon and I could easily travel to Egypt, or even some parts of Syria

Could these interesting places be worth more than a few pennies?
>>
>>2979679
Not without 10+ years of experience under your belt.

You think egyptians and syrians don't have cameras, and dont have better access to "the real story"? You think you have something to offer that no egyptian/syrian tog can offer? You think you're better than the legion of photo journalists already out in war torn areas?

Imagine you had as much practise on guitar as you have on photography. Do you think anyone wants to listen to you play, let alone PAY to hear you, Nope.
>>
>>2979308
I made like $300 on print sales the past week or so, and it wasn't really intended. I don't shoot for pay. I'm not averse to selling my shots, I just don't shoot with that in mind.

I do it as a hobby, first and foremost and it's going to stay that way. I have zero interest in shooting weddings, people's kids or pets, portraits, events, people's cars. Those things just don't enthuse me and the money made wouldn't feel worth it. I have everything I need from the job I work now and can afford to travel and enjoy photography at my leisure. I consider myself my own "client" and I do my best to please myself before anyone else.
>>
>>2979308
Impossible without being raped in the ass by the tax authority and having to charge such huge sums per print that nobody would buy shit. I have contacts and possibility to do photography work for civil engineering consultancies, but the gear required is high-end FF with fast long zooms, which I have no other use for.

Abandon all hope and live on benefits, random odd jobs and canned pea soup like I do.
>>
>>2979759
I live off benefits and have a full frame camera and plenty of pro lenses.

just lay off the booze and nmd's
>>
>>2979768
I don't need a full frame for anything because I'm primarily a film shooter and only use digital for casual shittery and dicking around. I'm not going to save up a decent car's worth of money for gear I only need for a few gigs that pay pocket money.
>>
>>2979771
I paid off my FF body with my first job...
>>
I make around 15k€ shooting baby swimmers. At the moment I have I think around 30 days of photography per year. +editing days so it makes around 70-90 days of work. I could be more efficient if I wouldn't procrastinate as much (as I'm doing right now). Theoretically I could edit the photos in the same day as I do the shoot but meh. But relatively easy money anyway, I do have to do other stuff also (biological field work and digging with my excavator) as sitting here in my office with my friends lightroom, photoshop, filemaker and spotify makes me crazy if I do it too much.
>>
first few months shooting 'professionally' made about 2k doing small events and selling prints. about1.8k after cost of prints
>>
>>2979776
>I paid off my first FF with my body...

fixed
>>
File: 0800 00 1066.jpg (82KB, 680x373px) Image search: [Google]
0800 00 1066.jpg
82KB, 680x373px
>>2979768
>>
>>2979308
For me, it's a side job, i make 200 bucks, sometimes 400 a month.
>>
>>2980561
>not being a drunk is benefit fraud

People on bene's are allowed nicer stuff than you buddy. Think how cheap life would be if you can cook all your own vegetarian meals, have zero transport costs and your housing was paid separately to the rest of your income.

Couple of new gaming rigs, 3 decent camera bodies, 40+ lenses, couple of 47" tv's, im halfway through building some speakers using about £900 worth of materials, and a custom 24" bmx.

Lolz. Stay frosty
>>
>>2980554
I paid off my first F job with my body.
>>
How do you get started?
>>
If you make money off of photography, you are a most likely an uninspired hack who takes generic pictures that the trash consuming public likes.
>>
>>2980803
>professional disabled person

Congratulations, you are working the system.

Donate a bag of mung beans to the local food bank and your conscience is clear.

>frosty
Toastie
>>
>>2980872
I'm not working the system, the system is working for me.
>>
>become model
>gain instagram following
>get paid for people to shoot you
>start patreon
>double-dip and charge pledges to see photos that other people took of you

seems to be the state of things unless you're a wedding photographer or teaching a workshop
>>
>>2980844
Or you agree to do generic photographs, to finance your more artistic projects...
>>
>>2981258
wtf I hate being able bodied, healthy and a productive member of society now.
>>
I met creative directors/art directors through past jobs and now freelance for client work through them. Being new I am their cheaper option, starting at $4500/day. They have hired people in the past for $20k/day
>>
>>2979308

>Should I consider getting it as a hobby?

Should you have even considered making this shit thread?
>>
>>2979533

>40k a year
>for 6 months

Mathematics education in the US, everybody.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.