[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /p/. I wan't a vintage/film camera, and as it stand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

Hey /p/.
I wan't a vintage/film camera, and as it stand right now im either buying a canon ae-1 or pentax k1000, which camera do you guys suggest?
Im mostly into b/w pictures, and i like the grainy effect on these pictures.
>>
Get a Nikon F2 and a 50mm.
>>
>>2979194
Why, is it better or easier oooor?
>>
>>2979191
do you want a meter built in? id say dont and you will get better bang for your buck. you can use a phone app for meter and after 2 rolls you will have exposure down. or use your digicam if you need spot meter
>>
>>2979191
There is literally no differences between the two besides the superficial.

I have a Canon-AE1, works like a dream and is very usable. I don't know anything about the K1000 as I've never shot with one.

The Canon-AE1 uses FD lenses which are completely useless for digital Canons as they switched to the EOS type. BUT - this comes at an advantage as FD's are usually cheap and are widely available. So getting a 50mm 1.4 is not hard at all.

But mirrorlessfags (myself incl.) are snatching up analog lenses since they can be used - so prices are varied.

But if I had to choose again, I'd go with >>2979194

Nikon F2 is just sex. Pure unadulterated sex. More expensive, but it's built like a tank and has an all mechanical build with very very good parts. I would jump at the prospect of getting my hands on one, but I have an AE-1 so I don't care much.

With the Nikon you have access to an entire arsenal of lenses which I'd argue are very well built.

It's just expensive and as a newb it might be wise to stick to a cheaper brand and model.

Have a built-in meter to save yourself headaches, the AE-1 meters well.

Also use 400 speed film for that grainy look.
>>
>>2979204
thx for tips, think im going for ae-1 ;)
>>
>>2979191
bentax mx
>>
Neither. Get an OM-1/2.
>>
File: 2016110909.jpg (557KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2016110909.jpg
557KB, 1280x960px
>>2979191
Pentax K1000 is an uncoupled center-the-needle metering camera, entirely mechanical and built like a tank like many of its kind. The meter tells you the camera's opinion on your selected exposure settings, but you must make the corrections yourself. Personally I've found this sort of system far more educational than using a more modern camera with aperture priority auto mode, because you'll end up remembering what kind of lighting conditions match with which exposure settings as you'll always need to set them by hand. Haven't used a Pentacks though, my sexy instructor lady was the Konica Autoreflex.

Other than that, film SLR systems don't generally have world-changing differences, especially for a newbie. Opposed to digital, changing systems in film isn't super expensive if you find something not working for you. I went from Minolta to M42 to Konica AR and now I'm warming up the old Minolta flame again, although Konica AR will likely remain my main system because of the sexy lenses.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M10
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.18
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Color Filter Array Pattern1308
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:11:09 16:39:34
White Point Chromaticity0.3
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1280
Image Height960
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2979256
are you the guy that was complaining in the film threads about not being able to find a working Konica T
>>
>>2979191
Neither, olympus om 10,20,1,2,3,4 are goat, smallest best looking body, biggest viewfinder, best lenses, super smooth action.

You say you want to do b&w, you do know that 99% of photo labs don't do b&w process developing, so you will probably also need all the kit & chems for developing, and a way of scanning (dslr scanning rig is the best way by a mile).

Sorry for just fucking your budget hard in the butt.
>>
>>2979576
>OM-10
>goat
>super smooth action
Kek. No manual control at all and the only way to even compensate exposure is to change the ISO setting.
>>
>>2979577
>change the iso setting (exposure comp)
>change the aperture
>no way to change exposure
>manual adapter came with every om10 to have direct control of ss

I've got a collection of about 10 135 slr bodies, including nikons, canons, pentax and m42 models. The only thing that beats my om10 for smoothness and build quality is my om2sp.

And their lenses are spectacular, especially the 20, 50 and 85. The only legacy lenses that get a similar level of attention from me are a fantastic copy of a pre ai nikon 50 1.4 and a nikon 105.

I bet you've got a junky old pentax and their shitty 50/55mm.
>>
>>2979579
>he thinks pentax 50mm are bad
>>
>>2979191
neither.
You want a Nikon, FM, FM2, FE, FE2, or FM3a
>>
>>2979195
ive done almost all my photography on an ae-1 with a nifty 50
>>
>>2979576
Compared to the earlier OMs, the 10 is a piece of shit. It's essentially the Olympus version of an AE-1, but even cheaper and lacking in manual controls.
I know you can get a dial that snaps into the sync port, but there's no real point when you can get an OM-1/2 for around the same price.
>>
File: 146781163566758.jpg (138KB, 800x402px) Image search: [Google]
146781163566758.jpg
138KB, 800x402px
>>2979579
>junky old pentax and their shitty 50/55mm.
HAHAH

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 20D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Photographerunknown
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2008:09:24 20:50:20
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length60.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height402
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2980786
wait pic related has the f2 not the based f1.2, the f2 is indeed trash
>>
>>2980786
but the f2 is junky.
>>
>>2980788
Are you blind m8? >>2980787
>>
>>2980786
I have the 50 1.4, 50 1.7, 50 2 and 55 1.8

They all suck compared to the nikon 50 1.4 pre ai, the minolta 58 1.4, oly 50 1.8 and canon fd 50 1.4 are also better, the only 50 i have that's beaten by the pentaxs is a centon 50 1.4 with a stuck aperture.
>>
hacky javascript is hacky, so let it load then hit f5
http://oh-hi.info/tech/50mm_compare/
>>
I have both. In my opinion canon for the cheaper but very good lens
>>
>>2979191
>>2979225
AE-1 is kind of a piece of shit, very cheap and plasticky feeling

I like my Minolta XE
Very high quality and a pleasure to use,

the MC ROKKOR-X 1.4 50mm is god tier, reasonably cheap body and inexpensive lenses but very good function

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_XE
>>
>>2979250
ye boi
>>
>>2982458
>AE-1 is kind of a piece of shit, very cheap and plasticky feeling

This is exactly why this board is fucking shit. Idiots who have never actually shot with a specific camera, or basically thought they have go on about how bad it is.

You're like the dipshit at school who watches game review videos and based on that, tries to tell people if a game is good or not without even touching it.

>plasticky

You've never actually held a AE-1 have you?
>>
>>2982512
>s-someone insulted my favorite camera
The Canonikon cancer from digital is spreading over.
>>
>>2982512
fucking lol, I own one, it's not that good at all, and yes

"In keeping with its cost-cutting philosophy, Canon designed the AE-1 to use a significant amount of structural plastic for a lighter and cheaper camera at the expense of being less impact resistant. Canon went to great effort to disguise the use of plastic - the injection-molded acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) for the top panel finished with ether satin chrome (or black enameled) to give the look and feel of metal."

ABS Plastic feels like shit
>>
>>2982512
Dude the AE-1 is what the Rebel is now. At least get an A-1 if you can't afford an F-1.
>>
>>2982512
The ae1 was the rabble of its day, and everything about it is janky and cheap feeling next to an lx/om2/f3/etc

Oh and fd was a shit lens lineup.
>>
>>2982930
While I agree that the AE-1 is trash, the 50mm 1.4 SSC is a great lens.
>>
>>2983109
>>2982930
>>2982867
>>2982892
>>2982515

y bully?

Had this camera for 10 years, took some great shots with it - travelled around the world with one and it never gave me any trouble. Not once did I give a solitary shit about the "plasticky" feel or that it was mega popular in it's day - I took pictures instead,
>>
>>2982892
it's not comparable at all, in film photography the body is one of the most meaningless things, what matters is basically the lens and the film. In digital there is a sensor attached to the body. So while the AE-1 may have been an entry level camera, it will work as good as any other camera with the same lens and film.
>>
Last film Camera I used was a Pentax p&s I took to boarding school to document the customary and inevitable burgeoning homosexuality of my housemates.

Would a Hasselblad 500CM be beyond impossible for me to try and use if I managed to get a hold of one?

Digital only for years now.
>>
i owned ae-1 fm2 and x-700 and i love x-700 the most.

Nikon's lens feels like cheap asses and their focus rings are very loose.Their camera bodies feel good and sturdy.

Minolta's camera bodies are okay and light, their lenses are built like tanks and highly usable.
>>
>>2983972
I love the controls on Minolta cameras. They're really easy to use with gloves on which is important to me as it's cold as fuck around here most of the year. And they have some ebin lenses, most importantly pic related. Going to grab the XD-7 once I get a little extra cash to replace my ded X-700.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-L10
Camera SoftwareACD Systems Digital Imaging
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.6
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)100 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:03:24 20:58:44
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Image QualityStandard
White BalanceAuto
Focus ModeManual
Spot ModeOn
Image StabilizerMode 1
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeNight Scenery
AudioNo
Flash Bias0.00 EV
Color EffectOff
ContrastUnknown
Noise ReductionStandard
>>
>>2983109
Compared to what? Because it's a pos next to the nikon from the same era.

>>2983113
Because an ae1 often goes for om2sp prices, a nokia 3210 can make great calls, i wouldn't advise it over a google pixel tho, especially not at the same price.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.