[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /p/, newfriend here, ive asked this before at the gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 41EynAi-QeL._SY355_.jpg (18KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41EynAi-QeL._SY355_.jpg
18KB, 355x355px
Hello /p/, newfriend here, ive asked this before at the gear threads but no one replies so ill try creating a thread about it.

I want to purchase some monolights and ive decided for the beginners flashpoint 300watts, here comes my real problem, i want to take them outside so i need a power pack but i dont know anything about them (ive been searching but i havent managed to find an answer probably im not searching hard enough).

My current budget is $150, is there something decent i can get for this?
>>
I cannot recommend avoiding those off-brand monolights enough. For $150 you'll have a hard time getting a head and power pack but an old Alienbee and Vagabond might pop up on Ebay. If you can come up with some more to spend but not enough for Bowens etc. the best cheap option if you're in the US will always be Paul C Buff Alienbees
>>
>>2973808
Honestly, OP, you're asking a lot for a strobe *and* a powerpack for that price point. I agree that it's probably not worth it to you.

Here's the biggest problem I see with your price point: Power.

I'm not talking about the power pack, I'm talking about the power you need to shoot outdoors.

Generally speaking, it's a metric fuck ton brighter outside than it is inside. It a lot brighter than you think it is. Unless you're shooting at night, a outdoor strobes need to be powerful. You need *at least* 300W, but more is preferable.

At $150, you're just not going to get that, unless you can find some old beat up used strobe and powerpack being sold together. Generally speaking, using regular AC powered strobes is a ton cheaper and will give you the power you need.

If you really want to shoot outdoors, then just carry an extension chord. Even then, though, you're on the edge for afforability for a powerful enough strobe.

Otherwise, just save up your money and buy in the future.
>>
>>2973836
>>2973840
Sorry my bad, i fucked up real bad (english is not my main language), i have $150 for just the Power Pack but i don't know what PP is compatible with those flashpoint lights.
>>
>>2973930
I guess what im trying to ask is for a PP that is compatible with said strobes and my budget is $150 per PP.
>>
>>2973935
As far as I know, a cheaper power pack (Leadpower or Paul C. Buff for example) for studio strobes are at least 2-4x as much.

Bigger brand name packs usually are >$1k.

Though you can usually attach multiple strobes to one.
>>
>>2973840
Unless you're trying to overpower the sun or strobe a sporting event, this advice is bullshit. Even a decent flashgun will have enough power for outdoor portraits.

I'd be more concerned with overall reliability and consistency.
>>
>>2975306
If you think taking fucking 100W strobes outside in daylight is useful for anything you're fucking insane.
>>
You can't buy anything new at that price that isn't a waste of money.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.