[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a DSLR camera and plan to take lots of pictures, however,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: emperorpenguin1.jpg (118KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
emperorpenguin1.jpg
118KB, 425x282px
Just got a DSLR camera and plan to take lots of pictures, however, I use Linux as my OS.

Any good/decent software for photographers in Linux? Ala Lightroom and such?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS D60
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2007:04:21 11:22:45
Exposure Time1/350 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias1/2 EV
Metering ModePartial
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length28.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3072
Image Height2048
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Darktable, Hugin, Gimp - ImageMagick if you like the console
>>
>>2972968
this >>2973004
plus Rawtherapee, then you can freely get frustrated over them and will be forced to install LR+PS on a Windows 7 secondary partition.
Been there, done that, lost half my shots then went over to Win 7 with my photography schenanigans.
In this business the photo is what counts, no need for /g/ tier OS whoring.
BTW when you DO try to use Darktable don't ever, ever, ever touch the fringing and CA removing modules, somehow the DT coders though it would be wise to remove half the color palette with those modules. Sure it cancels most of the CA and fringing but you will be left with shitty muddy nocolor photos.
And only use profile noise reduction.
>>
>>2972968
AfterShot Pro 3 or Polarr might be a choice if you want a somewhat basic but fast workflow.

Otherwise mainly Darktable - but I'd not consider it great yet.

Rawtherapee / Photivo / UFRaw / Rawstudio are generally pretty weird tools. I don't like them.

Frankly, the best option is probably DXO Optics Pro on a virtual machine and then just use the function to display the program in its own window under Linux in "unity"/"seamless" mode.
>>
>>2972968
chiming in to tell you photo manipulation on linux is a hot mess. for raw processing alone the color calibration of photoshop/official software saves so much time and agony you shouldn't even think twice.
>>
>>2973067
Thanks...
Actually I'm using Gimp, ufraw and dcraw which gives higher definition images.
>>
>>2973004
>Darktable, Hugin, Gimp - ImageMagick if you like the console
this, except:
>ImageMagick for right click context menus of common operations like resizing, exif strip, annotation, montaging,etc
Kubuntu user here, not sure about that with Ubuntu.

Also geeqie for previewing images, system-wide.

Ufraw can be useful, but don;t tell it toopen a directory of hundreds of images, or you'll spend all day telling it to close.
You may prefer RawTherapee over DT, but be aware it's auto exposure and highlight correction has a tendency to reduce contrast and make all your images a sort of pastel homogeneous mass of boring.

DispcalGUI for color calibration.

Testdisk for photorec - for when your sd card dies.

sudo apt-get install rawtherapee darktable ufraw libimage-exiftool-perl geeqie gimp dispcalgui testdisk
>>
>likes taking photos
>Linux sucks for photos
>whatdo.png
>>
>>2973369
install windows. 7.
>>
>>2973372
...and forget about your photos privacy.
>>
>>2973868
That would be windows 10, 7 is the useful standard.
>>
>>2973868
>forget about your photo privacy
>on a locked down dedicated OS just for processing/scanning etc
lmaoing at your faggotry. You just got a DSLR, you plan to take a lot of pictures. Will you take a lot of pictures? I bet not.

Prove me wrong, shoot your camera to death in 1 year and have a large installation.
>>
>>2973868
Your camera runs proprietary software faggot. The Russians already have complicated nude-detecting algorithms to hack into your camera and extract your personal photos. Luckily for you they haven't been able to detect dick sizes under 2".
>>
You can get Lightroom 5.4 or 5.3 to run in WINE. I like LightZone too.
>>
Raw Therapee fpr raw processing
Gimp 2.9.X for editing forget all that turds before this version, since 2.9.X its actually a useable tool for photogs
Photoshop CS2 under wine with MultiCPU support plugin, thats what i used for editing up to now. I recently switched to gimp but am still learning.
>>
>>2973945
Actual useful reply.

>>2973906
>>2973889
Unlike these 2 faggots.
>>
>>2972968
>Any good/decent software for photographers in Linux?
I heard Windows 7 Download Tool is pretty good.
>>
>>2973906
Does Android camera run proprietary software?
>>
>>2974057
Yeah. The drivers and the HAL are proprietary.
>>
>>2972968
Shot in jpeg and use Gimp if you need a little more contrast.
>>
>>2974109
Linux sounds like hell.
>>
>>2974112
well everyone normal just dual boots so it's really not a big deal yet
now that the new OSs are going to shit though...
>>
>>2974186
I deleted window$ partition in 2007 :)
>>
>>2972968
>>>/g/
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.