[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how are these guys setting the perfect neutral grey background

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: greytone.png (807KB, 1486x1186px) Image search: [Google]
greytone.png
807KB, 1486x1186px
how are these guys setting the perfect neutral grey background on all of there images, i mean there must be different light setups for half body model shots and small accessories product shots for example.. that all have identical that warm light grey. Ive always struggled with finding one and the same lt grey without much hassle. for all light setups which in my case is like 4-5 .. someone please help guide me here? i recently bought the x-rite colorchecker hoping it would help me but i think it lies more (or as much as atleast) in lightning, no? help is greatly appreciated as im about to "set some standards" for an upcoming webshhop.. I wish it'd look something like the image ive attached... thanks in advance
>>
>>2967097
Why not just shoot with a complete white background and change its value in post ?
>>
>>2967097
Is it shooting different sized objects at different distances the part thats messing with your continuity?
Maybe light the background continuously, and flash for the subject. That should compensate for the more sudden falloff and darker background at greater shooting distances.
>>
>>2967097

hmm undercover. Too bad Jun has fallen off in recent years
>>
>>2967097
Not sure how exactly you have big problems with this despite using a color chart.

Are you perhaps using many different lights with fairly different light colors and/or poor control and low light output?

> i mean there must be different light setups for half body model shots and small accessories product shots for example
Nothing *must* be very different, no?
>>
This fucking thread again?

You could have literally googled this hundreds of times inbetween threads
>>
Get rid of any light you don't control, make sure the lights are the same color. Use the white balance picker in Lightroom or anything else to select something white or grey for it to calibrate the white balance, then cut the background out in Photoshop and pop in a solid off-white.
>>
>>2967097
okay this is a professional photographer thing so you can be forgiven for not knowing about it
what you need to do is select models with a very specific, neutral gray-friendly skin tone and use them as a color calibration standard. if you have contacts in the fashion world they can refer you, but I warn you, professional quality skin tone comes at a price. it's best if they make the same expression in every shot, otherwise your background gray will oscillate slightly.
>>
>>2967341
On my first professional gig I was a bit of a goof to try and make my model relax but later on when reviewing the photos I realized there was a reason why they froze their face.

God I can still remember the hours spent selectively white balancing the shadows.
>>
File: Amateur-Home-Made-Photo-Studio.jpg (178KB, 1600x831px) Image search: [Google]
Amateur-Home-Made-Photo-Studio.jpg
178KB, 1600x831px

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: 1321682378992.jpg (79KB, 555x557px) Image search: [Google]
1321682378992.jpg
79KB, 555x557px
>>2967348
>God I can still remember the hours spent selectively white balancing the shadows.

So are you pretending to be retarded or are you actually incredibly retarded

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2011:10:05 18:43:02
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width555
Image Height557
>>
>>2967352
Read the post I quoted.
>>
>>2967348
Ouch, anon. I think we've all been there. On my first fashion gig I still thought I would be taking photos of real clothing! Imagine my surprise when the fabrication team showed up...
>>
>>2967097
All those catalog images were shot with the same model under one lighting setup.

>>2967183
And they'd probably do this, especially because it makes it easier to match new catalog images. Rather than spending another 45 minutes on set with talent trying to match the lighting precisely, you just cut him out in PS and drop him on top of fashion_background.tiff
>>
>>2967097
Falloff.
Decent example: The first image, where you substitute your background with the darkest subject.
http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-design-easy-way-secrets-inverse-square-law-light/

Simplest solution is shoot everything at exactly same background-to-light-to-camera distances...and therefore exactly the same light intensities... and *crop* the images to frame correctly.
>>
>>2967661
better example of your issue: same article, scroll down to this section
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.