[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just recently picked up Photography as a hobby and was looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 6.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
6.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I just recently picked up Photography as a hobby and was looking for some pointers. I was also wondering what I could improve upon. Honestly I think these photos look really nice, but I know they aren't perfect and could be much better.
>>
File: l.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
l.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: h.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
h.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>2962724
These are photos of ... nothing, really? It looks like you're just taking photos of your friends, which is fine if that's what you set out to do.

There's nothing to really analyse because you haven't provided us with any content
>>
>>2962724

as they are they are boring, your friends arent the cool type that just need to be in the frame to enhance a photo with their mere presence. 99% of population arent in fact.

but, they could be used as props for some other types of photos. look up for gregory crewdson, philip lorca dicorcia. they have this almost cartoony look that would work great in staged photos. they look cooperative too.
>>
>>2962724
First photo is cool but those close up photos of your friends faces are just not interesting. Remember, tell a story, and get close (but not that close) i think Looking at Pete Souzas work would help you out (he's the guy who's been covering Obama his whole term, he's not like one of those "super mlg pro" Leica photographers but his work is generally really good to learn from)
>>
>>2962724
Fuck you
>>
For once, I'm going to open your fucking giant snapshits. The sad thing is that you're not going to fucking read it.

Anyway, let's get started.
These images mean a lot to you or your friends because they're in them and you know the person, for others they really tell us nothing about the subjects. All I know is that the azn guy possibly has downs syndrome or has taken more muscle relaxants than I have in the past hour.
The middle guy may honestly have taken the same dose, because christ alive he's falling asleep zipping up his jacket. Your third friend's put his hood up in an attempt to hide, because he doesn't like being photographed. He's concerned about his drooping eye and he feels uncomfortable about it so he's turned away from the camera. That's the most I'm gleaming out of this shot, but what pointers would I give you? Well, the EXIF's stripped so I don't know how the focal length used but I'd have to say back up a bit, the shot looks incredibly crowded and is making me a bit nervous lookin' at it. I get that there's a guy on the left next to the asian but just tell him to bugger off if he doesn't want to be in the shot. Even if you don't know him, tell him to bugger off or you'll all gie him a rodgering in the bus shelter.

The second shot works, only for you and only for people who are the subject or know the subject. To me, the most interesting thing is the out of focus woman on the left possibly wearing a headscarf, she looks like she's got some big titties.

The third shot is a shot of the side-> back of a guys head. Not really doing anything for me. I don't need a visual representation of what it looks like when he sucks a dick, or really want to imagine his stubble brushing against my inner thigh but that's what this picture gives me.
Again, a wee bit cramped, no EXIF. I'd have taken a step back.
>>
>>2967122
wow i can't believe what a shitty person you are. i just bought a cam and wanted to look uf there is an decent board on 4chan but i must say after 1h of going threw threads most of you guys are just assholes. must suck to have no friends to take photos of. anyways keep it up op, you friends looking goof, but forget about this board
>>
>>2967122
Imagine if academic criticism was like this.
>>
>>2962724
Were you trying to get some specific pose or did you just snap at some random time? The middle guy's closed eyes are distracting and make it look like you were going for something but missed the moment.

>>2962725
I think a more dramatic lighting is better suited for extreme closeups like this.

>>2962726
They're looking at something but they're not all that excited so the viewer isn't either. Good job on getting the eyes in focus.

The compositions in all 3 look OK to me, it appears like you know about rule of thirds and diagonals. The subjects need to be more memorable for something to share outside your own group of friends.
>>
>>2967981
Art might stop sucking so bad.
>>
>>2967981
What kind of a worthless academy do you go to that criticism isn't this?
>>
>>2967981
>your teacher isn't a balls to the wall insult you til you git gud person
>doesn't know this coupled with a motivation for learning leads to improvement if you're willing
ayy, you may want to leave your community college art class for one that'll help you grow.
>>2967974
This isn't your safespace. 4chan isn't your safespace and if you'd spent more than an hour here you would know this. Take the criticism on the chin and keep it in mind when taking your next photos.
Are details being cropped out? Take a step back.
Are you photographing someone from the back? Take a step to the left or right.
Is someone in your way in a group shot? Tell them to leave the fucking frame.

Grow some balls if you want to improve, you're gonna need a cup for when you start taking pictures of non moving objects and landscapes, because the criticism's gonna be 1000000% worse for you to handle if you catch someone at that right moment.
>>
File: P1280116-2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
P1280116-2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
OP here, I actually assumed this thread faded into obscurity, with no trace of responses. I appreciate all the advice, regardless of how harsh it all is. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't seem like I am failing really on the technical aspect. I have noticed with all my photography in the past couple of weeks, a general lack of value in the shots. Even if the shot looks acceptable, that isn't enough for the picture to be worthy. I think an okay shot picture with an interesting subject is great, but an okay shot lacking substance has no meaning. I guess where I proceed now is figuring out how to get the proper shots? How do you guys know when to seize the moment, is it purely by shooting constantly. I have been doing that lately. Maybe I am not shooting enough. Help is always appreciated.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-GX7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution299 dpi
Vertical Resolution299 dpi
Image Created2016:11:26 03:07:46
Exposure Time1/6 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2972294
Think about what you want people to look at in your images. The focus on the dudes face is good, but I cant help but imagine that this guy hasn't washed his hair in days because that's where the light is and that's where my eyes are drawn.

Use lines to your advantage. Tile floors, curbs, seems in walls, anything. If it makes sense, the lines in your picture will draw peoples eyes to the subject of you image.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.