[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone redpill me on this? I'm already invested int

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: 01.jpg (83KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
83KB, 920x520px
Can anyone redpill me on this? I'm already invested into another camera system, but I want a small, cheap camera for doing old-school landscapes mostly as my current system is not ideal for this. There is also the APS-H version coming out soon that I may wait for as it may fit the bill better, but at £899 with a Sigma 30 1.4 ART I really can't see a better option. Review here with comparison to D800, spoiler: D800 loses.
http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/sigma-sd-quattro-review/
>>
Gear Thread for gear related questions please
>>
>>2961037

> implying the gear thread is used for any reason other than to religiously promote the Pentax brand
>>
>>2961040
you can be the change anon!
>>
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/impression/vol01/

Sample gallery
>>
>>2961034
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRL_rSyXoY
tl;dw: it's absolute crap.
>>
>>2961034
>http://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd-series/impression/vol01/
You'd probably be happier with the SD1 if you're into foveon.
>>
If you want to go Foveon, bypass the SD Quattro and get a used Sigma DP1 Merrill. The sensor in the DP Quattro/SD Quattro is different than that of the Merrill series. While card write times, ISO performance and battery life are marginally better in the Quattro, the Merrills have better image quality at ISO 100 and perhaps 200, particularly in the shadow areas. I'm not going to get into the details here, but check out some other reviews/forums, as they can explain it better than I can. And it's cheaper.

Yes, when used with a tripod at ISO100-200, the Merrills and even the Quattros can take some stunning shots. But starting around ISO400, image quality begins to decline quite dramatically. And coupled with the somewhat poor battery life, sluggish operation, clunky controls, poor autofocus, low dynamic range, low-resolution EVF (on the SD Quattro), and a number a plethora of other faults, the D800, and practically every other modern DSLR, mirrorless, micro four thirds and even advanced point and shoot cameras are better than Sigmas line of Foveon sensor cameras. That's not even up for debate.
>>
>>2961034
>can't focus for the life of it.
>holee crap that slow write speed.
>>
>>2961034
I would be very (positively) surprised if it would be good enough to use as your single main camera. Usage scenario of course depending, but still.

Personally I don't really care how the SD Quattro H compares to other ILC cameras, but rather how it contrasts to the DP2. I'm particularly intrigued if the higher resolution in the coming SD Quattro H could, together with better processing make up for its lack of true Foveon sensor.

FWIW, I have a DP2 Merrill, and love it to bits.

Yea, it's a very much unperfect piece of equipment and would suck to have as a sole camera, but as a 2ndary side camera for for landscapes and detail shots it is perfect - I don't think there's anything else that outputs the same level of IQ and color fidelity in the same size package.

Exporting images out of SPP is fairly slow, but I kind of don't mind. And for some reason I I feel I need a lot less PP work with the sigma images to get them how I want.
I'm mainly just jonesing if I should get a Quattro H or a used DP3 for use to scan my film. Comparisons with the DP2 and my DSLR are very much in favor of the former, the lens issue (30mm crop) notwithstanding.
>>
>>2961034
I have a DP2M, I would absolutely not depend on it as my only camera. it's a fun second camera to a decent DSLR setup.
>>
>>2961100
>>2961123

Thanks anons. I have looked into the Merrills now and I think the DP2 or DP3 might be good for me. My other cameras are Fuji X which suck for lanscape details, but seeing photos like this really blow me away.

https://outlivingblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/dp2m0118.jpg

The foveon really has that 'slide film' look I've been craving, not an extreme dynamic range, but a fine rendering of details and a natural pop of colors. Sure it will never be the same as 6x7 Velvia 50, but for £400 I'm willing to give one a try. The leaf shutters are an added bonus, I am thinking of getting a DP3 for studio strobe work and product shots.
>>
if cosina ever came out with a digital RF reboot of the RD-1, my dream would be for it to have a foveon sensor
>>
>>2961299
>>2961100
>>2961089
>>2961034
All of you keks are the reason I sold my DP1M that I bought secondhand for a profit just recently.
Geez people are dumb.
>>
>>2961301
There is the Epson R-D1, still excellent image quality and mechanical operation.
>>
>>2961304
>reboot of the RD-1
>>
>>2961314
You don't need to reboot excellence
>>
>>2961301
>>2961304
>>2961314
>>2961316

Can the 6mp rangefinder hipsters please leave already
>>
I have a dp2m

stunning IQ etc.

but for me the biggest limit is raw not compatible with LR, Sigma Photo Pro is pure shit
>>
>>2961317
Can the Smegma faggot dorks please leave already
>>
>>2961319

>'dork'

underage detected
>>
>>2961112

> Using autofocus in a landscape

>>2961088

> Un-ironically using Digitalrev as a source of knowledge
>>
>>2961332
damage control
>>
>>2961088
>kai you have to review the sigma camera
>fuck you i'm not doing that
>it's alright senpai we found someone else who is willing to try to mimic your every mannerism right down to your speech pattern
>>
>>2961592
That guy is much better than Kai. Try watching one of his videos when you're interested in information rather than watching an (admittedly adorable) twink mumble.
>>
Admit it guys, you would go gay for Warren.
>>
>>2961592
haha, this.
But seriously, DigitalRev is some of the very worst camera-related content on the internet.
>>
>>2961614
There is a saying here, don't take every joke seriously. They are fun, good entertainment. That's it.
>>
>>2961619
>They are fun, good entertainment
M8, they have millions of views on youtube and access to the very best video equipment out there and they're the face of a real, functioning business, yet their production values are lower than most mummy blogger vines. Seriously, how long does it take to set up a ronin and some lav mics?
And all the fucking dick and shit jokes, kill me now.
>>
>>2961622
see
>>2961619

Pay attention to the first part.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.