[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get this painterly look of film with digital? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

How do you get this painterly look of film with digital?

I don't have good editing skill so I can't put my finger on what exactly creates it. It's not the grain. It's not the lack of sharpness. It's something else but I don't know what.
>>
just find some good pre-made filters for light studio and voila
>>
>>2948691
The digital look almost always shines through these filters. I think some more sophisticated editing is required.
>>
>How do you get this painterly look of film with digital?

u cant.

that glow you see there is light leaking through the positive film. real soft light fusing with the actual image. cant fake that

>inb4 digiplebs claim to be able to emulate that look
>inb4 digiplebs wont upload a single picture proving that claim

michaeljacksonpopcorn.jpg
>>
>>2948684
What you're most probably looking for is not just any "look of film", but pretty specific look of the Kodachrome process.
And as far as I'm concerned there's no concrete tool for emulating that one, it has to do with film's physical and chemical properties and processing.
No preset will give you that.
You can get pretty close with emulating colors with heavy editing though, with right original files, but there's no real point in that.
>>
File: 20161002-DSC04597.jpg (299KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
20161002-DSC04597.jpg
299KB, 2048x1365px
>>2948696
>that glow you see there is light leaking through the positive film.
>real soft light fusing with the actual image
That's not how it works.

>>2948684
Use a camera with a good dynamic range, shoot in raw, underexpose and use VSCO.
Using a lens with spherical aberration may help too.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7M2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6.1 (Windows)
Photographerdavid mornet
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:03 21:14:53
Exposure Time1/8000 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Brightness6.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
What you are seeing here is horrific colour inaccuracy from the film. The reason you can't put our finger on it is because every colour in the image is wrong. If that shot was taken with C41 or even E6 it wouldn't look that dreamy either
>>
>>2948693
then go paint in the light yourself with photoshop.

People would edit film photos in development as well, not like the digital counterpart is cheating
>>
>>2948701
>Use a camera with a good dynamic range, shoot in raw, underexpose and use VSCO.
>Using a lens with spherical aberration may help too.

That's not how it works.

Your example file is hilariously bad, too.
>>
>>2948684
Learn to seek out the right light, that's the first step and without the right light no amount of editing will help you.

Then learn to color balance your images to your liking.
>>
>>2948797
>just bee urself
>>
>>2948684
Consider using vintage lenses on your digicam for one, modern lenses are generally really nice compared to vintage lenses and will be noticeably digital from how the lens handles flaring, ghosting, optical resolution, etc.
You can download a Lightroom preset and camera profile for your RAW file, to emulate the specific film stock OR you could make a preset and profile yourself
>>
>>2948684
It has nothing to do with light that's for sure
>>
>>2948744
it might be wrong but it looks so right.

>>2948701
You're really, really wrong.

>>2948699
(You)
>>
>>2948684
Its called the sunset buddy
>>
>>2948684
Shoot older film either expired or rollei cn 200.

Shooting film won't give you cancer, digipleb. Stop acting like it will.
>>
>>2948684
it seems like the specific feel of that photo comes from blooming, colours from strong light sources or coloured objects that leaks onto other elements in the photo, not because of light bouncing around in the real world, but because of colours leaking over into eachother in the lens or the film.

i sort of managed to simulate this in photoshop by cutting out main elements of the image, either light emmitting or with distinct colours onto new layers, then applying heaps of gaussian blur to them, making the colours bleed across the photo, i then used luminosity masks that makes the blur only affect the area around the colour emitting objects.. finished off with recovering some contrast and clarity, and some colour balancing to make a quick and dirty velvia-ish filter.
>>
File: reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (26KB, 378x176px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
26KB, 378x176px
>>2948907
>>
>>2948696

>light leaking through the positive film
>real soft light fusing with the actual image

I don't really want to argue, but you sound suspiciously similiar to the "activated almonds" guy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.