[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when did the white boarders meme pop up? how to appropriate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 24930137625_614f2a1a18_z.jpg (40KB, 640x463px) Image search: [Google]
24930137625_614f2a1a18_z.jpg
40KB, 640x463px
when did the white boarders meme pop up?

how to appropriate them correctly?
>>
>>2943397
~1800s
>>
File: be_81 144ppp.jpg (857KB, 1224x1584px) Image search: [Google]
be_81 144ppp.jpg
857KB, 1224x1584px
idk, I used to think they were a meme but I learnt to appreciate them and always use them now. They let the photo breathe and you make you appreciate it better. People +100 years ago knew this and that's why prints have white borders
>>
>>2943397
people like to emulate film prints
any other "reason" is just excuses

>>2943670
>and that's why prints have white borders
no, because it was practical and necessary to have borders. why do paintings have frames?
>>
>>2943824
You know you can hang paintings without a frame?
>>
>>2943831
this.
BTFO literally all tripfags that whiteborder
>>
>>2943831
and you can make pictures without white borders too

nice argument, retard
>>
>>2943845
Right, so it was never necessary to have borders
>>
Because it looks nice

quit being so autistic
>>
>>2943397

its a phase that photo newfags get memed into, right after the watermark phase.
>>
>>2943869

It looks childish.
>>
>>2943889
Childish? Childish how?
>>
>>2943890

this is not a gallery. its a nazi memorabilia appreciation forum for photoplebs, hence, you cant run around pretending your backyard snapshits are high art that needs to be isolated from the background to be really understood.

see who uses the borders, its always the plebs. always mediocre pics.
>>
>>2943914
>this is not a gallery. its a nazi memorabilia appreciation forum for photoplebs
>see who uses the borders, its always the plebs. always mediocre pics.

You sure have a winning attitude about this place and art in general

You still never explained how it's childish and only made yourself look more childish
>>
>>2943918
>You sure have a winning attitude about this place and art in general

not an argument.

>You still never explained how it's childish and only made yourself look more childish

i just did. learn to read.
>>
>>2943925
So just because you hold so much contempt for people that 'aren't true artists' using white borders to 'pretend they're putting their work in a gallery' that makes using white borders childish?
>>
>>2943890

It's childish because it's usually done by newish photographers having their first deep thoughtz about presentation. It's like grabbing your dad's empty briefcase and an old necktie and playing business man for the afternoon. You aren't actually doing any business, and white digital borders don't actually help with "neutrality" or "separation" or any of the other bogus justifications you see trotted out time after time.

And, full disclosure, they feel childish because I used them when I was a kid, way back in 1999. I used them, and I even had four or five photoshop droplets that would make different borders depending on my mood. I quickly outgrew them, as did the rest of the Internet design/photography community at the time, so to see them make a comeback is pretty funny.
>>
>>2944026
Yes, but that is just as ridiculous as equating every other time you pick up a briefcase and a necktie as childish

I understand what you're saying but because you've seen people slap a white border around a photo that's probably not good you've associated such a negative bias with that instead of the photos themselves

This is made even more hilarious by you actually disregarding them because you used them as a kid and how you now label them as childish and laughing at people going through what you think are the same mistakes
>>
>>2944026
t. trying to sound non-newf
>>
I think the main reason people post pics with white borders on here is because they noticed these attract a lot of attention. Literally every photo thread with borders will have at least 2 autists arguing over the borders which is, after all, better than no replies at all.
>>
>>2944026
>It's childish because it's usually done by newish photographers having their first deep thoughtz about presentation
You sound like a community college cunt
>>
>>2944046

Nail on the head. It's guaranteed reply bait.
>>
TL;DR
>think photo is shit
>shitpost about ..... the border
RLY.

The usual negative reaction is something a normal person would blurt out when seeing a myspace glitter filter crap, way over the top.

While some plebastic "art lovers" might hang their pictures without a frame,
any reputable frame shop will offer frame and passepartout by default.

Borders in digital media are kind of a passepartout.

Also bait:
I have set my image viewer to display photos at 80% screen size when fullscreen.
>>
I don't hate them however >>2943670 's example is obscene
>>
>>2944087
>I have set my image viewer to display photos at 80% screen size when fullscreen.
Haram
>>
>>2944026
>using colors other than white and black. Kill yourself you old faggot
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.