[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

question /p/ when you first became interested in photography,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: Annie-Leibovitz-2016.jpg (177KB, 2048x1315px) Image search: [Google]
Annie-Leibovitz-2016.jpg
177KB, 2048x1315px
question /p/

when you first became interested in photography, was it because you were more interested in pictures--or more interested in cameras?

has that changed for you?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Macintosh
PhotographerMark Randall
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1282
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)120 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Image Created2013:01:17 12:11:17
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length120.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width3520
Image Height2260
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
thrift store 35mm cameras were very nifty looking, after taking the time to learn how to use one and develop my first few rolls it has since turned into a full hobby
>>
more interested in pictures. It occurred to me one time when I was masturbating to a model shoot and wondered about the process behind it
>>
Pictures

I still don't really care about cameras desu
>>
I was very briefly interested in gear, but then it became boring so I started studying how to actually use it besides the technical bits.
>>
>>2941436
pretty much this desu desu sepnai senpai
>>
>>2941521
>desu desu sepnai senpai
well fuck. i didn't realize that f-a-m and t-b-h both have autocorrect filters on this board.
>>
Since doing darkroom stuff in HS, the technical aspects of photography have been my main draw. I tend to be only mildly satisfied with my actual images.
>>
When I was in high school photography class I did not give a shit about gear at all. In fact, I have no recollection of seeing other people's cameras at all. All I remember was that I had some point and shoot. It's a very strange feeling thinking about it now, considering that nowadays I'm a proper gearfriend.

I didn't start caring about gear until we needed a camera for a project and I was doing research into buying one. I was initially just gonna go with a fixed zoom P&S but then I started seeing all these other awesome cameras. I was hooked.
>>
From pictures, and the curiosity of how do they work or the art of it, i dont care of the gear
>>
File: patterns.jpg (613KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
patterns.jpg
613KB, 900x900px
The only reason I got into photography in the first place was because I wanted better compositions and lighting in pictures of things I own for other hobbies. About 6 years ago it was a cross-dimensional gearfag thing, but the gear wasn't cameras. I've still never spent more than $200 on a camera, because new fancy ones are boring as hell and rarely much different at all compared to their predecessors.
>>
The software.
used photoshop for digital painting, got a camera to snap reference photos.
Had fun playing with the photos, got a better camera. Taking photos is fun, but I usually just try to only "get the shot" in camera, and then have fun transforming it into something I like later.

I love gear, but I have too many expensive hobbies so I just read about it mostly.
>>
>>2941434
I remember liking the idea of a "real" camera which meant film camera or dslr, but really it's still the pictures. I can spend all day researching and comparing camera specs but when I'm outside nothing matters but the photo.
>>
>>2941434

I chose photography because I'm very technically inclined and thought it would be easy to learn how cameras work. I was right, it's very easy. I want to do something creative as I've always worked IT/Engineering. I learned mostly all you need to know in a day or two and started to focus of the art.

These days I'll research the shit out of any gear I need, buy it, then completely ignore the gear scene until I feel like my gear is holding me back or I need a change.

If I'm out shooting and I need to give even a glancing thought at my gear I get super pissed. I don't want to think about gear in the slightest when I'm shooting. I want to focus on the scene/subject.

The Fujis have been the best fit for me so far. The X-T2 and X100T have been pretty fantastic at getting out of my way.

I hope that answers your question.
>>
Truth be told this girl I was into is a photographer as are both of her parents. I bought a 6D and a few lenses to then join some local photography groups and squeeze my way in. I found out at the first photography seminar that she's a lesbian.
>>
>>2941959

10/10 story.
>>
File: 1471903959187.jpg (17KB, 192x251px) Image search: [Google]
1471903959187.jpg
17KB, 192x251px
>>2941434
~8 months ago, becouse life is strange
yes'i am aware that i'm cancer

Image Created2016:08:23 12:22:05
>>
>>2941434
i don't.
i just found out there is some profit in buying certain gears.

still photography is easy mode, i can't find a photo that is better than real art.
i can say even chinese cartoons is a better art.
video on the other hand can be artistic in motion.
>>
>>2941970
but you're our cancer
>>
I was interested in making pictures. I never really became interested in cameras...even after shooting for more than 10 years. I found the type of camera I liked and then pretty much ignored the camera industry until I decided I wanted to change things up. Then I got caught up a bit with the industry, found a camera I liked, and ignored the industry again.
>>
>>2941434
I was really into digital art, wanted to try HDR to learn how it worked, read that I would need to get 3 different exposures or more to make a proper HDR image. Then I borrowed my dads camera, and thats , did the exposures, then continued to take snapshits and now I'm all about photography.
>>
I'm only interested in the pictures. Gear fagging is fucking tedious
>>
>>2942031
>Then I got caught up a bit with the industry, found a camera I liked, and ignored the industry again.
I wish more photographers would do this, especially on /p/. When you pay close attention to the camera industry, you constantly want more stuff. You're always chasing the gear dragon. But it's all just a bad habit. If you break the habit, and just shoot and ignore looking at reviews and rumor sites and press releases and gear threads on /p/ and shit like that, then eventually you'll realize that you just don't care about those things. You only care because you're conditioned to care.

The only time to worry about gear is when you run up against a technical shortcoming that you can't get around. That's when you actually need something. Then, you'll know what you need and what to look for.
>>
>>2941959
This would be an awesome movie
>>
>>2941438
kek

similar thing though

images are everywhere and kept notching awful pictures in shops and web and being like why and how teh difference starting googling kept finding the term dslr ect and just went from there

saved a bitta money bought a dslr and a few old lenses and just kept buying gear and taking photos.
>>
>>2941434
I don't know anymore.
>>
Both. I started out taking pictures with my phone and enjoying it, but being dissatisfied with how my pictures turned out a lot of the time, so I decided to invest in a proper camera.

That said, I also have a technology background. Learning how cameras work and how changing around the different variables can affect the image is super fascinating to me.
>>
>>2941959
>TOPPEST KEK
>>
>>2942411
Same, you are me
Ended up going from Chinese phone camera, 550D, FED 3, Kiev 6C, which I found was good for me so I got the RB67 because kiev was not very reliable, now I dont think I'll go for another camera until this breaks or I can afford a decent rangefinder because my like shooting with me FED but its hella unreliable like the kiev
>>
>>2942171
This tbqh. I get all stressed out when I'm trying to figure out what to buy because money is a thing. i just care about the end product.
>>
File: 1322175977286.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1322175977286.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Since I got my first computer ive always loved pic related type of backgrounds, those surreal landscapes that make you want to go there and never come back.

It got me interested in how its done, used my moms old DLSR to get into it, eventually got my own camera and the rest is history. Now i shoot mostly landscape, making surreal backgrounds for other people.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Macintosh
Photographerunknown
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2008:08:27 07:23:55
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length10.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto Bracket
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2942766
how the fuck do you do this? Stacking? So much fucking detail and sharpness at different focal lengths. HDR?

I feel pretty new to all this too even though I've been shooting for a couple of years.
>>
>>2942781
Not him but, 10mm lens, f16. Got to work hard to get that out of focus
>>
>>2942781

it can be HDR but honestly unless its an insanely high dynamic range scene you can get away with just shooting with RAW. Expose to the right without destroying too many highlights and you can create these images pretty handedly.

Just bring it into light-room or camera raw, bring the shadows way up and the highlights down to pull the ends of the histogram out of clipping, (pretty much create a HDR) then apply your color adjustments and all that, come contrast, color filters, HSL, vibrancy and sharpness, maybe a gradient filter across the horizon as well.

Bingo.
>>
>>2942781
Yeah to get the whole scene in focus you gotta close down the aperture a fair bit. This one was shot at f16, you dont want to close down too much otherwise it softens the whole image quite alot.
>>
File: TeAnauBay5resize.jpg (309KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
TeAnauBay5resize.jpg
309KB, 1000x666px
>>2942781
>>2942766

Heres one I took not too long ago.

Queenstown, New Zealand

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 700D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerJames Robertson
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.6
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:01:17 00:56:27
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length10.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width2000
Image Height1333
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2942785
>>2942787
>>2942788
Thanks. What I've got so far is a 24-120mm kit lens and a d750 body. Would using something wider help with this type of shooting?
>>
File: compare.png (1MB, 1342x448px) Image search: [Google]
compare.png
1MB, 1342x448px
>>2942790

Heres the before and after.

Yeah I shot this with a Canon 700D with a 10-18mm.

Wide angle definitely does help get that wide landscape look you're after, this was shot at 10mm.
>>
File: 1455300801394.jpg (165KB, 1280x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1455300801394.jpg
165KB, 1280x1229px
>>2942029
awww... Thanks!
>>
File: DSCF5596.jpg (226KB, 1001x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5596.jpg
226KB, 1001x667px
The photos and the activity of going out and really noticing the world around me instead of just moving from point A to point B.

I could never understand how people manage to find the gear interesting. Maybe if it's something really novel and new, sure, but just comparing charts about sharpness and shit? I just don't get it.
I have to read up on some of it occasionally when I'm buying a new camera or lens but it always felt like a chore to me.

>>
Abit of both desu

My dad has a Stack of National Geographic magazines looking at pictures of people around the world and noticeably Steve McCurry's work.. It was all in my head and how much color and beauty into it. I was only 12 back then i didnt thought of taking up photography because my dad thought i was too young to be touching cameras..

I use to be looking for digital cameras and become a gear fag..

now i quit all that and im retiring back to analog + pictures.. modern gears will only bring down my love for photography even more.
>>
File: ETA2 (23).jpg (115KB, 922x615px) Image search: [Google]
ETA2 (23).jpg
115KB, 922x615px
>>2941434
>>2942962
When I first started taking pictures, my uncle gave me this one lens that he somehow cracked open and destroyed beyond repair. I took the thing apart. Just seeing how the diaphragm worked and the focal length spacing really just made a lot of basic photography concepts click for me. Not really a gearfag and I care more about the final result, but I guess it depends on how you learn. Seeing how images are actually made within the hardware has been super helpful in nailing down a lot of photography concepts over the years.

>>2942970
>My dad has a Stack of National Geographic magazines looking at pictures of people around
Are you me? I grew up with the same thing. My grandfather handed them down to him, then he gave them all to me. Currently own about 400 issues dating back to the 1950's. It's so cool reading history as it was directly witnessed.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3100
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 6.3.9600.17418
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern41948
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)72 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:03:28 18:16:31
Exposure Time0.4 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length48.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4608
Image Height3072
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used100
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested100
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation162111488.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations14473
>>
>>2941434
Interested in the pictures and the travelling you have to do to get them.

The make of camera is irrelevant. I just have 1 that helps me get a good quality image.
>>
>>2941434
I was always into taking pictures on some level.

One day I was browsing 4Chan looking for boards I might find interesting. I found /p/ and wandered in. Once I came across a post that mentioned the rule of thirds, a light bulb went off on my head that photography is a fairly complex and technical form of creativity that I wanted to take part in. I dove into camera research and became a "gearfag" out of necessity - only so that I wouldn't suffer too much buyers remorse later on. Nowadays I still look at camera gear and find interest in it, but my main focus lies in taking photographs and not the cameras behind them.
>>
>>2941434
The two can't really be separated for me. It's like an auto enthusiast, you love cars and how they work and whenever a new muscle car is released you're excited to see it's performance but at the end of the day you still just love to get out there and drive the damn thing regardless of if it's a Porsche or a Neon.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.