[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am i the only one who is having problems hitting focus with 85mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: _DSC6442-Edit.jpg (2MB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC6442-Edit.jpg
2MB, 2048x1367px
Am i the only one who is having problems hitting focus with 85mm lens, or is it everyone else?
f 1.8 or f 2 is almost unusable, not only eyes end up not in focus, but face too in 9 out of 10 shots. Wondering if this is a common problem, or just my camera calibration.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2937913
Dude, resize your shit.
>>
>>2937913
master single point and reframe.

Otherwise, it's the curse of a thin depth of field. Other lenses farther up the chain suffer the same problems.
>>
File: tab_1010158.jpg (158KB, 919x570px) Image search: [Google]
tab_1010158.jpg
158KB, 919x570px
nope
rangefinder is quick and accurate
>>
Nah dude little magnified square with focus confirmation
>>
>>2937913
Get a sony, their focus detection is on sensor so it never misses focus, and it has an "eye af" mode that locks onto eyes. Their 85mm f1. 4 gm is the best af lens in the world.
>>
got any photos of her turd cutter in focus?
>>
>>2937913
Are you doing this?
>>2937938
>master single point and reframe.

Because if you are that's probably your issue.
Or you are just not paying attention to what's showing as focussed when you shoot, and paying too much attention to it after the fact.
Also, standard focusing screens are really only good for eyeballing focus on lenses up to about f/2.8, after that you need a high contrast screen or *shudder* split hemisphere/prisms
>>
>>2937913
Not really a problem with focus peaking and/or AF with face / eye detection (ya, I'm on Sony).

Or the AF point moved onto face or just focus & recompose (what can be done on cameras that don't have either function).
>>
Oh, dont listen to people saying focus and recompose, that's a great way to ensure you miss focus.
>hurr, ive got about an inch deep focal plane, let's focus, then MOVE THE CAMERA
Fucking dildoes.
Move your focus point, or use liveview.
>>
>>2937913
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky#Petzval_field_curvature_-_Why_focus_and_recompose_sucks
>>
File: 00TU0p-138337684.jpg (76KB, 574x600px) Image search: [Google]
00TU0p-138337684.jpg
76KB, 574x600px
>>2938068
That said: I focus and recompose all the time, especially when using telephoto. But I also almost never use the centre focus point. If you understand what it does and why it's fairly trivial to work with it anyway. Less trivial with really fast lenses wide open.
>>
>>2938045
that is exactly my concern with focusing and recomposing.
Thing is even if i put my focus on where it needs to be, for example an eye even then it misses a lot of times, focuses on eye lash, or back focuses somehow. using nokon d800
>>
>>2938045
>crutch autofocus
>doing this with a split prism focusing screen
durrrrrrrrr hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>2938073

That's an exaggeration unless you're regularly taking photos from 4 feet away, the further away you are the smaller the angular change. Also the image raised the camera in the second photo to exaggerate the change and lengthened the green line.
>>
>>2938808
This. Telecreep of all people should understand, his 'subjects' are always 10 metres away at least.
>>2938073
Additionally, the plane of focus almost always curves inward away from the centre with lenses wide and fast enough for the theoretical difference to matter.
>>
>>2938045
The only time you should ever be shooting wide-open, at least with fast primes, is in low-light situations. The wide-open portraiture kiddos are using all the creamy bokeh that can be had as a crutch to hide their lack of talent as a photographer.
>>
File: B0161575-y720px.jpg (32KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
B0161575-y720px.jpg
32KB, 480x720px
>>2938821
>wide and fast enough for the theoretical difference to matter.
>85mm/1.8
try to keep up

>always 10 metres away at least.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)105 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:09:17 20:15:46
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length70.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
With focus and recompose, If you do it enough and use manual focus, you just naturally compensate that tiny little hair needed to hit focus most of the time. Usually just leaning in or back rather than touching the focus. It becomes natural.

If you shoot f1.2, then you need to take multiples. You won't hit every shot perfectly.

Fuck phase AF for such critical applications. Fuck it with a rusty beer can.

Lucky enough to have EVF? Then you don't miss... But you need to compose then focus rather than focus and compose. This takes a bit of practice and a fairly static scene or keeping one eye on the scene and one in the EVF.
>>
>>2938863
Dof is a creative choice faggot
>>
File: 1137-400020-2.jpg (713KB, 965x1624px) Image search: [Google]
1137-400020-2.jpg
713KB, 965x1624px
No problems here.

It's just you.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
I haven't had this problem since the first day I used a mirrorless camera. I can shoot at f1.2 all day no problem. I've been thinking about a chinesium 0.95 for that stopped down 1.4 action
>>
>>2939951
Your photos are so shit
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.