[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm relatively new to photography and I'm wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7323.png (65KB, 1694x424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7323.png
65KB, 1694x424px
I'm relatively new to photography and I'm wondering why everyone here seems to shoot in Aperature Priority. Seems like whenever I view the exif data on an image, 9 times out of 10 they are shooting in AP, why is that?
>>
>>2936631
Aperture priority is the pro auto mode, if it's a shot I care about I use manual, if not I use aperture priority.
Generally the wider your aperture is, the softer the image will be. And once you go past a certain f stop, you'll lose quality as well from diffraction.
Aperture priority is basically an auto mode where your camera won't change your lens to dumb f stops.
>>
Good question. I wondered the same
>>
Because shutter speed has little to no effect on most scenes unless there's motion, so it's similarly of little consequence to let the camera decide the appropriate shutter speed for the f/stop you've chosen.

I mean, you could go to all the effort of choosing 1/320 or 1/640 or 1/500 over and over again, but why? What does it gain you?
>>
File: _MG_4642.jpg (5MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4642.jpg
5MB, 5184x3456px
wide open is awesome

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:29 18:31:44
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length22.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I would much rather keep control of my aperture and let the camera decide on shutter and ISO for most stuff. Unfortunately I shout largely on film so full manual is the only way.
>>
>>2936635
How new are you?

>>2936631
Aperture priority is primarily for the control of the DoF, be it paper-thin or massive for landscape. When you want control on movement, freezing or blurring you use shutter or timing priority. If you want consistent exposure on a series of shots you use manual. It is that easy.
>>
>>2936726
Unless you buy a camery with apertue priority like all eos cameras for 35 mm film
>>
>>2936805
I'm an M42 fanboy.
>>
>>2936742
but bruh he shoot MANUAL
>>
>>2936866
I usually go for a canon body and a m42 lens to have the best of both worlds. Works kinda well :)
>>
File: 20160925_102903.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160925_102903.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2936726
full manual is just aperture priority you have control over, knee grow. There's nothing unfortunate about being fully aware of the exposure conditions for your medium of choice.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSM-P605
Camera SoftwareP605XXUCNF2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:25 10:29:03
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.4
Brightness0.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.40 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image IDE08QSGG01OE
>>
>>2936631
PAS is for people that can't do simple math or memorize a simple table.
>>
>>2936631
It's just a good way to shoot if you're not shooting something super important, it's fast and pretty much effortless and still gives you a pretty high amount of control over the camera settings, I put it in manual Iso also so the only thing the camera has control of is the shutter speed which I can indirectly control through aperture and Iso if I want to
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.