[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: sombrebeings-20160926-0001.jpg (73KB, 750x937px) Image search: [Google]
sombrebeings-20160926-0001.jpg
73KB, 750x937px
>If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough
>(Robert Capa, before he stepped on a land mine)

What did he mean with this?
>>
>>2933829

he obviously wasnt close enough
>>
>>2933829
he meant
>get closer get gud fagget
>>
What he ment was you shoot buy a zoom.
>>
File: file.png (544KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
544KB, 640x428px
>>2933829

>>2933847
On the contrary.
Capa was from an era when zoom lenses were virtually unheard of. His quote suggests using your feet to move in closer, fill the frame and isolate the subject.

The majority of us these days own zoom lenses, mainly for their convenience, but they can make us a little lazy if not complacent about our compositions. When we zoom in on a shot, the perspective of the shot does not change, only the field of view. However, if we replace that zoom lens for a wide angle prime and move closer, the entire perspective of the scene changes. We move close and tight on our subjects and this perspective makes the image’s viewer feel close to the subject matter too, more engaged. Compare a similarly cropped images, one with a wide angle and one with a telephoto. Because we are further away with the telephoto, the perspective of the shot is flatter, we feel less connected with the subject. With the same crop using a wide angle, we feel we are there, amongst the action. The ability to change the perspective of a shot is a vital part of basic composition and can only be done by moving position.
One of Capa’s cameras was the Contax IIa with a 50mm f1.5. Getting close was important when using high speed film as there was not much room for cropping
>>
>>2933850
>Capa was from an era when zoom lenses were virtually unheard of. His quote suggests using your feet to move in closer, fill the frame and isolate the subject.
I know, but my comment was more a joke than to be taken serious. I own only two zooms that I got for free but never use.
>>
>>2933838
so he should get closer like eggy?
>>
>>2933838

I disagree. He was so good and so close that he got blowed up, thereby securing his legacy as the goodest and the most close.
>>
He meant that /p/ isn't good enough and that you'll get closer to being good when you kill yourself
>>
I hope it's a metaphor for getting out of your comfort zone. Otherwise it's stupid as fuck, being closer doesn't automatically result in good shots. However if you're in a rut, a safe space which will yield the same crappy pictures until you leave it.
>>
File: photo1.jpg (41KB, 661x424px) Image search: [Google]
photo1.jpg
41KB, 661x424px
>>2936150
It means literally and figuratively get closer. Do you think Capa's photos would have been as good if he had gone to visit Normandy on his own the day after D-Day instead of embedding himself with the troops and taking part in the invasion? What if he had just stayed on the boat taking photos with a tele lens instead of jumping onto the beach with the soldiers?
>>
>>2933829
Why didn't he do macro photography then?
>>
>>2936198
Because his pictures were good enough.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.