[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I'm new here, shooting for around 5 months. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1610.jpg (188KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1610.jpg
188KB, 736x1040px
Hey guys I'm new here, shooting for around 5 months.
I saw a thread by Alex Burke who shoots large format.
Can I take Alex Burke tier photos using a D750/D810 or a 5D2/5D3 or is the look (not colors) only achievable by large format?

My D3000 just broke and I want to buy something I want have to sell or replace for a while. I'm looking for best quality, I just haven't seen any photographs like Alex's from a 35mm sensor

> pic unrelated

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:09:11 16:42:51
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width736
Image Height1040
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
At web res you can probably get very close with a tilt shift lens. But the large format movements, if and when he uses them, aren't available with any old camera.

A d810 stands no chance against the large format camera in large prints.

I recommend trying 4x5 if you get the chance, it's really fun and for a shot like that you're going to be on a tripod and waiting for the light anyways, so you'll only have to carry it while you're traveling.
>>
Nah. Not only does Alex shoot 4x5 with a full-on view camera (with all the movements and then some), he's also got well over a decade of experience. It's also not apparent from the pictures at first glimpse, but he works his ass off for each and every shot.

So for the OP, the way to go to get good is practice with any old thing. You can always go film and view camera and what-not in the 2020s. (hopefully colour 4x5s will be around at that time as well.)
>>
>>2932827
Well I mean, I'm not too concerned about quality of large prints, but just the type of photo with the background compression and flattening of image and so on.

Thanks
>>
>>2932830
>background compression and flattening of image and so on
If you want to have a very wide depth of field without much effort you can try focus stacking.
Photoshop has a built-in feature for it, so it's super easy.
>>
>>2932830
You can do most everything but the extent of the movements via focus stacking and stitching, but it's a royal pain in the ass if you're trying to pull off a proper LF look (think on the order of stacking at least three differently focused images and stitching 4x3 different framings, so 36ish shots that have to be taken quickly enough that the light doesn't change).
>>
>>2932836
Any tips on how to do the simulation of movements
>>
>>2932843
Realize that depending on what kind of movements you're talking about it goes from being practically impossible to being not really worth the effort.
>>
>>2932843
Just tilt the camera and fix the distortion in PP.
>>
just buy the damn camera and shoot glorious large format.

getting the shot on 4x5 slide film and seeing them with your own incredulous and amazed eyes is way better than spending 10+ hours tweaking a raw file until its filtered and messed up to fuckall.
>>
Barring camera movements and the large peintnissues, I'd say it's possible. Alex is super knowledgeable about exposure and metering so that'd be your first step. next step is to get yourself some filters (grad ND filters particularly). Finally you need to slow the fuck down. Alex isn't taking s walk through the forest and snapping away. I imagine each of his shots involves quite a bit of set up and fine tuning of the composition. Then he probably waits around for the perfect lighting (shadow placement, highlight placement) and for a particular composition of clouds, mist, etc. I would be ne surprised if when everything is said and done he spent up to an hour in one spot for one photo, with some examples taking multiple hours.

Landscape photography is a very slow paced and technical process that involves lots of patience and a chunk of luck. It also takes planning (looking ahead at weather forecasts, sunset/sunrise times, tide schedules) and scouting locations to come back to at a better time.

You scan shoot killer landscapes on any camera. The camera probably matters the least actually. Filters, knowledge, patience, and luck are far more important.
>>
>Alex Burke tier photos
fuck off Alex, and take your millhousing with you
>>
>>2933013
he's amazing as far as photography goes
especially in terms of /p/

>>2933001
is 4x5 film even sold in stores anymore?

>>2933010
thank you anon, I think I'll just buy the cheapest 35mm, probably 5D/2 or D700
>>
>>2933033
>is 4x5 film even sold in stores anymore?

yes
>>
File: 20160904-IMG_5101.jpg (491KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
20160904-IMG_5101.jpg
491KB, 2048x1365px
>>2932820
>muh details
>muh deep tones
>muh depth of field
Having a fast car doesn't make you win races...
Having shoes on your feet doesn't make you run fast...
Drinking alcohol doesn't give you fun at parties...
Having an expensive camera doesn't make you an artist...

But i fucking help.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6.1 (Windows)
Photographerdavid mornet
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:18 13:52:57
Exposure Time1/2500 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.