[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding Depth of Field: The search for a lense's "sweet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

File: resizedforp.jpg (592KB, 1332x1000px) Image search: [Google]
resizedforp.jpg
592KB, 1332x1000px
I've been trying to learn depth of field and thought taking some photos of plants would help validate some technical basics.

I'm shooting in a variety of modes, but trying to stay within Manual settings, toying with aperture. Am I correct that as I dial aperture from f.17 to f8, for instance, I'm using less light, but reaching higher depth of field.

Am I wrong that when my aperture is small, its as if I'm "sniping" my subject with a cone of moreso in-focus, higher details?

And as I increase the aperture, I'm broadening and flattening this cone of high-detail capture?

Am I understanding this correctly?

I'll post some examples I've recently taken with an LX100, some with a tripod, some without.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-LX100
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
Image Created2016:09:10 16:29:01
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length10.90 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: resizedforp2.jpg (557KB, 1332x1000px) Image search: [Google]
resizedforp2.jpg
557KB, 1332x1000px
Slightly larger aperture on this photo, I think.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-LX100
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.10
Horizontal Resolution94 dpcm
Vertical Resolution94 dpcm
Image Created2016:09:10 16:29:50
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length10.90 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: D3S_6584-1200.jpg (123KB, 1200x655px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_6584-1200.jpg
123KB, 1200x655px
>what is a dof scale
>>
>>2922072
Basically yes, a larger aperture has a narrower depth of field, but doesn't suffer from diffraction, while with a small aperture more becomes in focus, but set it too high and details begin to blur.

To be specific, given infinite resolution, even f/1.4 would cause diffraction at some point, but realistically your typical camera sensor is not diffraction-limited until around f/10 or so, although some cameras can show diffraction as early as f/5.6 as in the case of the 7D.

This is just talking about detail loss on the pixel-level, whether or not it will be visible in print is a whole different ball game, and is the basis of hyperfocal shooting, which is setting the aperture and point of focus in a way that makes everything seem optimally sharp within the visible constraints of a given medium.

>>2922078
The DoF scale on most lenses new and old is based on criteria that was standardized in the film days, and is not really suitable for digital. The terribly short focus throw of modern AF lenses makes it hard to use as well.
>>
>>2922080
>DoF scale
>not really suitable for digital
It's 2016, I seriously hope your not shooting APS-C.
>>
File: P1000192-01-02.jpg (213KB, 1238x1366px) Image search: [Google]
P1000192-01-02.jpg
213KB, 1238x1366px
OP here, bumping with a photo I took before I understood DoF.

Are the pictures of the rosemary plant in the original post a sound example of DoF, whatever other issues they might have?

Please correct me if im wrong
>The reason pic related sucks is you want a DoF that captures everything from the condensation to the olive, etc, assuming your subject is the entire bloody Mary.

Am I understanding this right?

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-LX100
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:09:12 16:51:03
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length10.90 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1238
Image Height1366
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: pattern obsession.jpg (470KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
pattern obsession.jpg
470KB, 675x900px
At f1.7, you will have less in focus areas, and detail in your in-focus areas will be mild.
At f5.6, you will have expanded depth of field, and the central part of your in-focus area will be SUPER SHARP. Depending on your scene and light, this could extend over the whole image if you focus carefully. You don't flatten the cone, the whole cone gets bigger and higher. How much higher depends on the lens.

At f16 you're spreading the cone out even more but you introduce a ceiling which lowers eat time you stop down, clipping the top of the cone off and softening the whole image.

Which you want depends on your artistic vision for each shot. Whether that's a dreamy blurry picture of your hot new gf or a hypercritical sharpness across the frame for product images for your business' new website.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.