[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently picked up my first DSLR, a Rebel t5, and I'v

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0754.jpg (493KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0754.jpg
493KB, 1000x667px
I recently picked up my first DSLR, a Rebel t5, and I've been trying to take a stab at night sky photography, and haven't been getting any good results.

The only lenses I have are the kit lense, and a 50mm f1.8 (the latter is what I used for this project).

My settings were as followed:
>25 second exposure
>f2.8
>1600 iso

Why are all of my shots coming out blurry? I'm about as new to photography as possible, but I did a bit of reading on the subject, and followed it to the T.

As far as focus goes, it's on manual, and this is the clearest shot I could get.

Any suggestions as to how I can get better results?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.5
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:04 20:03:53
Exposure Time20 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2917399

You missed focus. You can tell because the stars are donuts, rather than pinpoints. The Canon 50 1.8 lacks a hard infinity stop for whatever reason, so you'll have to fidget with the focus manually until you get it.
>>
>>2917399
You forgot to focus.
>>
>>2917402
Alrighty, I tried messing with it, and was only able to get semi-clear shots with the focus all the way to the left, but I'll try some more experimentation.

And for down the road, would you be able to recommend a good wide angle lens that'd do well for night stuff?
>>
>>2917404

Rokinon makes amazing, cheap lenses.
>>
>>2917399
>>2917404
>use live view mode
>zoom in until you see a star in the live view
>focus until the light ball is at smallest size

Also, you will get a lot of star trails if you keep your shutter speed at 25 seconds with a 50mm lens. I would suggest going with the kit instead, set at 18mm, with 20 second shutter speed, high ISO (maybe 1600 is enough for you?) and a small aperture. I usually go with a stop or a half stop above max aperture.

Anyway, google and astro threads should have better information for you.
>>
>>2917407
I'll try this out as soon as I have a full charge, thank you so much!
>>2917405
Definitely be checking these out soon, I've seen quite a few at local pawn shops
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4096x2730px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4096x2730px
I have the same camera and used the kit lense. I used right around the same setting (and a tripod I assume your using one to) then I took the lense of autofocus and went outside in the daylight and focused it on the farthest thing I could then taped the lense in place so it wouldn't move and lose it. You can try that
>>
lens
lenses

>lense
>>
>>2918345
>glass
>>
>>2917399
focus to infinity using manual focus, you cannot autofocus as the camera cant find anything to focus on

maybe use a smaller aperture as well to get the stars sharper

most importantly, you need a clear sky and somewhere with as little light pollution as possible, so go as far out of whatever city you live in as possible
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.