[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason why DSLRs don't have adjustable sensors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1456074177963.jpg (285KB, 1163x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1456074177963.jpg
285KB, 1163x1600px
Is there a reason why DSLRs don't have adjustable sensors like medium and large format cameras?
>>
>>2916471
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2916471

because they are toys made for plebs.
>>
File: 1456070438289.jpg (169KB, 1012x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1456070438289.jpg
169KB, 1012x1280px
>>2916476
Tilting and panning the sensor to correct perspective and whatnot like you can do with the film in medium and large format cameras.
>>
>>2916484
what the fuck do you think lens correction in lightroom and photoshop is for?
>>
>>2916627
>out of camera is the same as in camera
>options aren't a good thing
>>
>>2916471 Because, dipshit, modern photography technology is finely engineered stuff where no wastage is allowed. Building a lens with tolerances necessary for modern quality requirements while simultaneously having either large image circle/wide aperture/wide angle (any 2 of the 3) is expensive and requires significant R&D and manufacturing processes. Having tilt shift appropriate for 35x24mm or larger requires a huge image circle, and either quality suffers or the price goes through the roof.

>>but but muh lf film

I like film and film cameras as much as the next guy but you're being a retard and not considering the physics of what makes one lens design make sense and another not.
>>
>>2916471
>>2916484
That's what tilt-shift lenses are for, and they're already available for a variety of formats.
The reason the sensor itself isn't used for shifting is space constraints and the mirror box, you'd need at least 10mm of shift on small format for it to be really useful and it would throw the whole reflex system out of whack.
Most camera lenses are strictly optimized for their intended format size, so you'll rarely have an image circle much bigger than the actual sensor, with some lenses even employing square baffles at the rear of the lens to minimize stray light.
>>
>>2916471
I think some Pentax cameras have a feature to shift the sensor using the mechanism normally used for image stabilization.
>>
>>2916627
>thinks he can adjust plane of focus in photoshop
>>
File: 1266382800000_IMG_151263_0.jpg (87KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1266382800000_IMG_151263_0.jpg
87KB, 750x750px
>>2916471
Because the whole point of a SLR is that you can see what the film/sensor sees.

Good luck framing your shot when your viewfinder sees one thing, but your sensor is angled or shifted to show something else.

Just use a tilt-shift lens.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.