[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I cracked The bottom of my Canon 5D Mk. II by forgetting to put

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 20160825_154543-1.jpg (1016KB, 2981x1677px) Image search: [Google]
20160825_154543-1.jpg
1016KB, 2981x1677px
I cracked The bottom of my Canon 5D Mk. II by forgetting to put a rubber washer on the screw before mounting it on my Glide Gear 5050... Does anyone know how much this will cost for repairs from Canon?
>>
your soul
>>
Why do you need it repaired?
Patch it up yourself and don't fuck it up again - those things are made like tanks.
>>
>>2910730
>Canon owners
>Shooting video on a DSLR

kek
>>
>>2910745
And how exactly do I "patch it up"?
>>
>>2910762
put a piece of tape on it. Or just leave it like it is and forget about it, that tiny crack is nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2910764
I'm not so sure... I don't want it to get worse over time. I'm afraid that the integrity of the bottom is compromised. I know it doesn't look super bad. But don't want it to get worse!
>>
>>2910769

Just keep an eye on it, if it expand worse consider repair.. but repair for a little is gonna cost probably as much as if it was 2-3x the size.

Or just call Canon and ask them?
>>
>>2910773
>Or just call Canon and ask them?
Shit doesn't work like that. He'll have to send it in, will get charged at least for shipping, and get a quote.

Just smear some epoxy on it if you're worried.
>>
>>2910773
Canon said that they would have to look at it and then call me to give me an estimate on parts, labor. The part itself if I ordered it off of Canon would be $6 but I don't know how to disassemble the body to replace it.
>>
>>2910788
Don't ask for an estimate, give them a fucking instruction you peon.
>"REPLACE THE BOTTOM PLATE. PERFORM NO OTHER WORK ON THIS CAMERA."
$6 part and 20 minutes of labour at $100 an hour + shipping ~$70.
>>
wait!!! all hope is not lost

believe it or not but you can still use a blackrapid style strap (SO ONG AS YOU DO IT THIS WAY) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rrHbJQr9k

skip to 2:40 for what you really need to hear

even with a broken tripod socket like yours this is 100% safe since the weight is never relying on the tripod socket, I use this brilliant mod and it kicks ass

then when you mount your camera on a tripod or monopod just teather it with heavy duty shit so if something snaps it's no problem as long as you have a decent tripod
>>
>>2910762
There's plenty of epoxy type products for this kind of thing. unless you really fucked it up - in which case, you'll pay dearly.
>>
sell it to me for $700 and buy the iv
>>
>>2910788
There will be about a US$100 minimum charge (depending on your currency). If they have the part they will probably fix it at that price.

The last time I took an off catalogue Canon camera in for repair they called me back within about three days. They told me that the shutter was also badly worn and that they had one in stock, would I like them to replace that as well?. "Errr, how much" I asked. No extra cost they told me. Another three days and I collected it repaired and serviced and it is still going strong to this day. And that was just a little G11
>>
>>2910907
they will have a few categories for repairs. The first category will start around $150 (depending on camera) and go up from there. Has nothing to do with cost of parts and labor - they see whats wrong, put it in a category, and charge you for whatever the category is.
>>
>>2910730
/o/ here.
jbweld if it bothers you that much.
>>
>>2910762
Superglue
>>
>>2910730
And this is why I use a Peak Design strap.
>>
>>2911163
This.
>>
I think this could have all been avoided if I just used a runner washer...
>>
>>2911381
*Rubber washer*
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the tripod socket usually connected to the chassis of the camera? I think that plastic bottom plate is essentially just a trim piece and doesn't actually bear any of the load.
>>
>>2911519
I believe that their is a metal plate beneath the plastic which the hole is drilled into.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.