[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vid/ Video General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 40

File: img-1395985054-176.jpg (214KB, 1103x800px) Image search: [Google]
img-1395985054-176.jpg
214KB, 1103x800px
Tricky sticky:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk

Talk about cinematography and stuff

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5616
Image Height3744
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2011:12:27 15:30:40
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/20.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/19.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.00 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length70.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1103
Image Height800
>>
A6000 vs A6300. Is the A6300 a lot better? Or would I be better off getting the A6000 and using the money on glass? Looking on youtube and vimeo I definitely prefer the look of the 6300 but maybe it's a placebo, or people using it are just better/more professional.
>>
Is there anyone here familiar with ffmpeg/iffmpeg who might be able to help me
I'm trying to downscale a 4K 4:3 clip from my gh4 to 1080p 4:3
What's the best way to go about doing this in order to get the highest possible quality in the 1080p file
will post screenshot of different options available
>>
>>2910553
>>
>>2910557
>>
>>2910559
>>
>>2910561
>>
>>2910562
>>
>>2910565
that's all for now
will post more if necessary

please help, i'm quite desperate
>>
>>2910553

generally you should convert into a lossless format.

but if it must be h264 then the only crucial parameters for quality are the pixel format and the bitrate. yuv444p is good and wise when scaling 420 down, >= 2048kb/s will be sufficient.
the scaler algorithm should be bicubic or better. you can convert into a mp4 container. all other parameters are more important for compression ratio and/or for replay aspects.

so it actually depends on what you will do with it. for editing/grading/etc. consider lossless. for playback it's the question of where, why, for who blabla.

consider also to convert audio to pcm little-endian, since for further processing it's more common.
also notice that 1080p 4:3 is not 1920x1080 but 1440x1080. unless you recorded anamorphic and want to desqueeze. (still pixel aspect ratio should always be 1:1)
>>
>>2910553
depends, you want to create a smaller res file for editing (including grading) or to produce a master to distribute?
>>
>>2910598
doesn't have to be h264, I just want the best possible quality, which I guess in this case would be lossless then? How would I get that?
>>2910609
this is for editing but I don't mind having a large file
>>
>>2910640
the pro variant is to convert into an image sequence like dng, tif or exr. but you also can convert to rawvideo in an avi or mov container (which is basically bmp bgr24 then). I personally prefer tif rgb48 with an additional toc file and no (lossless) compression (lzw, deflate is also ok .. zip is too slow).
but for you most likely a rawvideo avi is the best (easiest) option.

a ffmpeg command-line would be e.g.:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt bgr24 -r [your fps] - s 1440:1080 -ac pcm_s24le -ac 2 -ar 48000 output.mov

or for sequence:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -f image2 -vcodec tiff -pix_fmt rgb24 -compression_algo 1 -an ./afolder/%06d.tif

seperate audio by:

ffmpeg -i input l.mp4 -vn -acodec pcm_s24le -ac 2 (if stereo) -ar 48000 output.wav
>>
>>2910650
thank you
i've tried ffmpeg a few times before, but each time i came to the conclusion that i am far too retarded to use it
is it possible to do this process in iffmpeg too?
>>
>>2910661
I won't give you support for a front-end software of which its developers sucked in the 'apple spirit' and dare to sell a software based on open-source libraries.

but you surely can setup a uncompressed format for output somewhere.
>>
>>2910718
>but you surely can setup a uncompressed format for output somewhere

if i knew how, i would
>>
are there any decent gimbals out there? all the DJI ronin footage I've seen looks robotic and janky as fuck
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjSxVBW3Vx8
>>
>>2910888
That guy is an idiot. If I was there I'd smack him right in the face as hard as I possibly can.

Also checked.
>>
I've got a dilemma with my G7... It has a horrible fucking problem where the mode dial just flips shit and changes modes on me randomly. It does it constantly when I'm recording video and it just stops the recording so I've been losing shots left and right. Contacted Panasonic and they said to ship it to them to investigate. Well before shipping it I wanted to record a video of the issue and send that along with it. I guess since I moved the mode dial back and forth so many times trying to recreate it I "fixed" the problem. Maybe it's a contact oxidation issue in the rotary dial or something but now it isn't doing it and I was going to ship it to them tomorrow... Not sure what to do here. Warranty is up in September.

Also every single day I wish I had ponied up the extra cash for the GH4. This thing is not ready for lots of use.
>>
File: 71ISAn9y0tL._SL1000_.jpg (163KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
71ISAn9y0tL._SL1000_.jpg
163KB, 1000x1000px
Lighting discussion. I'm a web developer that also does photography for my company. I'm starting to work on some shorts etc.

I've been doing some research and I think I'm gonna go LED for the battery option so I can use them outdoors without a generator. I'm working with a $600ish budget. I already have lightstands from my photography work and umbrellas so I should be okay in that regard. I was looking at these two specifically:

https://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Amaran-AL-528W-LED-Light/dp/B00CBAVWG8

https://www.amazon.com/Aputure-HR672W-Amaran-Video-Light/dp/B00N1RK5U4

First off, are these decent? They're what I keep seeing recommended online but wanted some additional opinions. Should I get two of the 672s or one of them and two 528s or some other combination?

Are there better options out there in this price range?

Thanks anons.
>>
Serious question:
Does it even make any sense to buy a DSLR for video?
Because the flange distance, the mirror/liveview and the often unarticulated screens make it look as if it's an inherently flawed hardware for video.
>>
>>2911370

As with most things it depends on the DSLR. If you're talking about a D3300 then it doesn't really make sense. But if you're talking about a GH4, G7, or an A7S II then it absolutely can be worth it.

There's some phenomenal power in extremely reasonable price points with those cameras.
>>
>>2911378
>But if you're talking about a GH4, G7, or an A7S II then it absolutely can be worth it.

Which are not DSLRs.

Oh the irony.

>>2911370

The only DSLR which is good for video at least in some sense is a cheap Canon with dual pixel AF - because of MagicLantern and good AF.
>>
>>2911437
Dude. Leica S. Nuff said. MF video ubermensch.
>>
>>2911443
>MF video ubermensch.

Line bining makes it worse than A7r II.

Lol.
>>
>>2911437

Though not technically DSLRs I think most people tend to group them all together colloquially. Throw a 5D on there if there needs to be a DSLR listed.
>>
>>2911456

5D (mark 2-3) is not utter shit only because of ML.
>>
>>2911451
nah, it crops to s35, so no binning/skipping.
>>
>>2911603
>MF video
>crops to s35

my sides
>>
>>2911116
Anyone got answers for this anon? Just getting into vid myself and haven't dealt with the lighting aspect yet. Never really thought about getting power outside. What are the best solutions? I'm guessing a power generator is incredibly expensive. How can you tell if a power generator is suitable, or are they just unnecessary trouble and it's better to go the led with battery route like the anon above?
>>
>>2911693
The watt rating of a light is how many watts it burns per hour (not watt equivalence on like LED panels or CFLs which describe brightness, not consumption, but the actual wattage). Likewise, you should be able to find the electricity Add all of this up, and you'll need a generator that can put out at least that much electricity.

But, gensets are terrible for video. Basically all of them that aren't the stupidly expensive honda quiet generators are really, really loud, and even the hondas are a lot louder than you want. They're also often pretty noisy (signal wise) power sources which matters for some equipment.

Battery packs are one of the better routes. You can buy one or make one with something like some deep cycle automotive batteries and an inverter.
>>
What do you guys think of Caleb Pike or Andyax and Eskild? Do they know what they are talking about or should I not be learning from them?
>>
>>2910553
>>2910557
>>2910559
>>2910561
>>2910562
>>2910565
>>2910568
please is there anyone here who can tell me what to set these values to to get the best quality output
>>
>>2911802
>the best quality output

Stored as 1440x1080 10bit 4444 ProRes. But do you really need that? What will you use the file for after conversion?
>>
>>2911870
Yeah but how do I get it to that?
What scaler do I use?
What 'multithreading type'?
etc
>>
HEY Guys. I film urbex with a alpha 7s mk II with s-log 3 in 4k without stabilisation except the base stabilisation of the alpha. I want to stabilize,edit and calibrate the rushs. But i editing on premiere and calibrate with davinci. For export my job on premiere i use a XML file but its does not take the stabilisation of premiere. So i export each videos stabilized from premiere in DNXHD and i import them on da vinci. Here my prob : My workflow is optimal or not?If not what can I do for keep a better quality? If yes: What is the best export setting for: My Stabilization videos in 4K from premiere to Davinci ( i work on pc) and for the final export (who are in 1920*1080 for Youtube)?
Thanks Anons !
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuIJtX9nMM
what camera was probably used for this?
>>
Is it still at all possible to shoot a short film in 16 mm?

I really want to experience editing with it.
>>
What other edutainment channels like Cinefix are there?
>>
>>2912311
pretty sure Kodak just launched some kind of thing to help indie cucks shoot on 8mm and 16mm, check it out on their website
>>
>>2912330
super 8 is shit and not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>2911928
Set scaling algo to sync and punch in the settings that I told you.
>>
>>2912311
yeah, it won't be cheap though and will require you to scour ebay for used cameras and call random shops for film-stock
>>
>>2912343
he also said 16mm you retarded fuck
>>
>>2912575
he could pull it off for $4000 (depending on the length) which isn't expensive at all. unless you're 18 years old living at home I guess
>>
>>2912674

Spending 4 grand on a side project is a lot to the majority of people. If you make 40 grand a year (after taxes, so you have to make even more) you're spending 10% of your income to make that short. That's money that could be spent much more usefully on digital equipment or, you know, rent.
>>
>>2912674
Considering one could buy a BMPCC and supporting rig for that and still have money left over, yeah that's quite expensive
If you've had to work for your money you'd get that. But since you don't, I'm guessing you're a trust-fund baby?
>>
>>2912711
>>2912713

spending money on equipment alone is retarded (unless you're a CINEMATOGRAPHER and not an aspiring director). the people who get far in this industry are the ones who spend $4000+ on a single project, not a cheap toy camera and some shitty still lenses
>>
>>2912715
I really, really hope that you're not trying to imply that buying $4000 of film isn't somehow not spending it on equipment because that is how your post sounds.
>>
>>2912715
How stupid are you?
Professional productions don't buy equipment, they rent Arris or Reds and film quickly and efficiently
And they're funded by multiple sources, not one guy with money to burn

Spending 4 grand on a film camera is a lot
>>
>>2912816
>Spending 4 grand on a film camera is a lot
Negroid, he's not talking about 4k on a film camera, he's talking about around 4k on FILM.
>>
>>2912821
Even still, he's being an idiot to imply 4 grand isn't a lot for someone to spend
No one spends 4 grand of their own money, they spend lots of people's money combined into 4 grand +

4 grand still isn't cheap
That would be over half a decent short film's average budget spent on film stock
>>
>>2912839
No we agree, I just wanted to point out how much we agree. Hell, even if you dropped all of that on a camera system, you are at least not hardstop limited in how much filming you can do.
>>
>>2912842
*digital camera system

whoops, left out an important word.
>>
>>2912842
>>2912845
Oh apologies, it's been a long day
>>
>>2912255
Red Epic
>>
Hey, /p/. What's the best audio recording app for android, if any?
>>
>>2912311
It is, just gotta find a good rental house and contact Kodak.

A good rental house will rent you a decent ARRI 16mm camera, and if you contact Kodak you'll get a much, much better deal than buying stock from B&H.

>>2912330
They did, but it's still a problematic medium (I think they are doing it to test their cloud-based delivery system).

>>2910888
I was there, but sadly didn't get to see this - I did see someone almost drop an ursa mini though (was shooting interviews :\ ).

Panavision DXL demo was sooo pretty.

>>2911370
It does, however it depends on what video, budget, and ecosystem you're looking into.

Say, if you have a $500 budget, it's better to buy a used t2i/t3i+tripod/lenses than blowing it on a low-end camcorder.

Again, it depends on what you're doing with it, but at this point you could get a t2i for less than $300, so I'd say why the hell not.

>>2911705
Caleb Pike is ok, but his business does more work in the Promo/Corporate world than he does in the narrative/MV/commercial world.

Most people know what they are talking about technically, most of the info is 'out there'. Simon Cade knows what he's talking about too to an extent.

Remember, all methods are subject, and there are many ways to accomplish a similar task.

>>2912323
Rocketjump Filmschool has some good stuff, IndieMogul, FilmRiot (not a big fan [too much advertisement/attempts at being funny]), DSLRGuide.

there are tons of decent ones out there depending on what you want to learn.
>>
>>2912916
>I was there, but sadly didn't get to see this - I did see someone almost drop an ursa mini though (was shooting interviews :\ ).
A camera operator was talking to us about this on set the other day. He said he didn't feel bad because the guy was a dick apparently
>>
>>2912158
That seems really overly complicated.
2 Workflows I can think of right now:
If Mac - use ProRes, if PC - use DNXHD

1) Import into premier, Edit the footage, XML to DNXHR/DNXHD (4k DNX compression) or ProRes422LT --> Grade---> Roundtrip back to Premier and Stabilize before export (rather than spend the time stabilizing it and re-stabilizing it).

The other method, which is much shorter, is complete your edit, export as ProRes/DNXHD/DNXHR, Import in Davinci-->Run AutoScene Detect (check if its right, Fades tend to bug it out)-->grade-->Final h264 finishing@1080P in Davinci

>>2910499
Pros:
4k, good AF, good high ISO performance, E-mount
Cons:
Massive rolling shutter, Battery Life, Overheating (newest firmware helps I think)
>>
>>2912920
Who can i export my grade to davinci at premiere? I know i can use lut files but it dont take mates or some specials corrections. I use the second method but i dont like to do 2 exports.
Thanks for your advices
>>
If I wanted to do a music stream like boiler room what would I need?
>>
>>2912311
Yeah, in fact I might even sell my K3 to put forward to an Arri S.

Just look for deals on film stock and processing. You could probably shoot a decent 20 minute short for about $400-$600 including the price of the camera.
>>
Quick question that I'd really appreciate an answer on as I can't find it anywhere online,
Does the Canon 5Ds shoot video with full-frame?

I ask because, of course, we've all heard that the 5d mkiv will have a 1.76 crop on its video
And even the 1dx mkii has a 1.3(i think) crop when it shoots 4k
>>
>>2914335
if you want fullframe video, go Sony a7s.
and hope it doesn't corrode away in your hands.
>>
>>2914265
boilerroom is so shitty you probably could record it with smartphones and broadcast-edit it with a laptop as an access point, while uploading it via lte.

a decent broadcasting setup would actually be a little more expensive and effort. on budget look at blackmagic broadcasting options. most likely everything else will explode your budget.
>>
I'm currently looking for a camera to start shooting some short films. I have been reading the sticky and done some research. The two favorites are the Panasonic Lumix GH4 and the A7s.
Which of these would you recommend for a beginner?
>>
>>2914695
I personally recommend you don't blow your budget on a camera, that you make sure to leave over enough to purchase stuff like lighting equipment (which, depending on what you're doing can make up for lower performing sensors), good glass, and a good audio recording setup.
>>
>>2914697
I already got the lighting and recording equipment covered since i can rent most of it for pretty cheap.
I got around 2000€ as a budget for camera plus lenses.
I mostly wanna do horror shorts so low light performance is important i guess.
>>
>>2914335
yes it does
>>
>>2914697
firstly this was not his question and secondly you still need a decent camera among all other atuff.

>>2914695
People here like the gh4 but will still get crazy about sony. for reasons. both are okay-tier, the question is what a crucial argument could be for you.
>>
>>2914695
>GH4
>for a beginner
NOPE
Get the G7.
Virtually same hardware, almost a third of the price. Differences:
>not weather sealed
>no 96fps recording
>no headphone out
>no Vlog
Those are MINOR points if you want to get into 4K recording.
If you absolutely MUST; wait for Panasonic to announce the GH5 later this week. if it has in-body stabilization, get it.
The A7 cameras seem promising but have a bad reputation with moire, rolling shutter and corroding while you hold them. Those are big problems for $2k-3k cameras.
>>
>>2914704
Low light performance is quite important. I was thinking about buying the gh4 + speedbooster + Sigma 18-35 1.8
From what i read the gh4 is easier to handle and thus maybe more suited for a beginner like me, but i dont know if the camera + speedbooster can compare to the low light performance of the sony.
I wont be shooting with anything higher than 24 fps.
what i like about the sony is that it is a full frame camera.
>>2914712
I was thinking about going with the G7 since the price is a good selling point. I guess I'll wait for the gh5 announcement.
>>
>>2914704
>firstly this was not his question and secondly you still need a decent camera among all other atuff.
It's the question that needs answering instead of what he asked. Had he given us his total budget and goals, a more direct and informative answer could be given. Depending on the goals of what he wants to do a "good" camera can easily be the last of his concerns. Paying for talent, getting good lighting, and sound are considerations that people new to this do not realize the importance of, especially sound. Add into that how a run and gun setup for doing shows has different needs from something like an over-the-shoulder interview setup, and good gear recs become even more nebulous with the information provided.
>>
>>2914731
I second everything you say. still I believe one should answer the question somebody have and let them trail and error.
why? not because I am mean (well, I am), but because in this process they can find creative solutions and if not, they still know exactly afterwards why something is more important than something else or not.
on the other hand if you are spoon-feeding people then they develope no creativity and never understand completely.

also, if I would inform people about things I experiences and know but they did't ask about, I would have to say many things nobody wants to hear ... you know, I'm happy I didn't know the things I know now, when I started. otherwise I wouldn't have started at all ...
>>
>>2914702
thanks senpai!
>>
>>2911928
http://superuser.com/questions/375718/which-resize-algorithm-to-choose-for-videos
Except for Nearest Neighbor, any downscaling algorithm will do no harm.

Is it your final export by the way? Because, if you can afford it, you should just export it to a high bitrate preset, I think those codecs perform just well. Otherwise, there's no "universally good" settings and you should do test encodes of certain parts of your project, compare and pick the settings you like the most.
>>
>>2914716
NOTHING is going to compare to the low light performance of the sony. The sony can blow out a picture of a black hole. It's unreal. You don't need that though.
>>
>>2914941
plus, Sony doesn't have any proper environmental sealing.
And:
larger sensor => larger lenses => higher weight => less convenient transport and harder to stabilize
For a beginner, that can be cumbersome.
The A6300 might actually be a good compromise for 4K. The A6000 might be an even better one if 4K isn't necessary. it also is an E-Mount camera, so if you ever upgrade to an A7, you can keep the lenses.
>>
>>2914701
>I mostly wanna do horror shorts so low light performance is important i guess.
Not really. Horror films are generally well lit.
>>
>>2914701
>2000€ for camera and lenses
And microphones? Recorder? B-Cam? Lights? Stabilization? Tripod? Glidecam? Bags&Cases?
Trust us, buying camera+lenses is by far not enough. 50% is sound anyway, so better invest around 400 into sound alone. Get several mics for several hobs, get a decent recorder, maybe even radio transmitters
>>
>>2914701
https://youtu.be/RPLgVj2PLjo?t=5m26s

This video will show you everything you need to know to make your decision.
>>
>>2914974
>>2914701
Note:
If you consider the G7 or the GH5, that Panasonic are steadily improving their video-noise because they actually use a LiveMOS sensor rather than CMOS.
The G7 already has way better Noise perfomance than the GH4.
Panasonic does some serious techno-trickery, while Sony puts all their money on pure hardware advantages.
>>
>>2914971
don't forget a nuclear reactor. you need this also.
>>
>>2914979
not even you seem to work at panasonic's development department, you also must had worked at sony's .. impressive ..
>>
>>2914941
NOTHING? really? in UPPERCASE! so, nothing can compare to sony blackhole senor (tm)? NOTHING? yah? you think this sony low light performance will also work in the endless darkness of your anus?
>>
>>2914983
It would work VERY well there actually.
>>
>>2914988
noice. then you can "actually" film all the shit you are full of.
>>
>>2914989
Well, I COULD have before these stupid new monetization changes! I bet that would be considered not "advertiser friendly" content.
>>
>>2914990
>advertiser friendly
>advertiser
>er
well, sure. we want to be very friendly to the advertiser. the advertiser is king. let's all look that the advertiser feels treated friendly.
>>
File: At first but then rage.jpg (43KB, 299x722px) Image search: [Google]
At first but then rage.jpg
43KB, 299x722px
>>2914990
God damnit, i am still boiling over those changes.
How many YT creators will have to beg for money now? How many serious talented people will have to go for patreon now? How many people with important shit to say will now not be able to do these videos as regularly?
My dreams of becoming a FUNNAY YT-comedian are now crushed before they began.
Plus, the definitions in the rules can be stretched over almost anything if the censors want to do so.
>>
>>2914997
if it effects two best friends play i'll riot

what the fuck am i going to watch for all of my life now?
>>
Looking for an ideal recording setting on my Lumix G7 so that I don't have to grade.
Currently using Cinelike V with decreased contrast and Saturation. Still i get a lot of yellow/orange skin on people, should I adjust whitebalance manually? I nromally do a WB on the scene, but it doesn't seem to help.
>>
>>2915006
I've had no weird skin tone issues with Cinelike D. Just adjust the saturation a bit to your tastes.
>>
>>2915001
thank of people like TomSka or JonTron or the slingshot channel.
If you take some videos, you could even prevent Weebl from monetizing videos.
>>
>>2914335
You've got your tech stats wrong, the mkIV crops down to almost super35 when shooting in 4k, and uses the full sensor when shooting 1080
>>
>>2914996
The ad industry is cancer and depending on how heavyhanded youtube is this could be the end of them.
Enjoy Facebook Video, lol.
>>
>>2915167
Interesting, didn't realise it still shot 1080 with full-frame
As for 4k though

http://resourcemagonline.com/2016/08/in-defense-of-expecting-more-why-video-shooters-feel-rejected-by-canons-5d-mark-iv/70104/
>The 5D Mark IV records with a crop factor of 1.74x
I was off by 0.02
>>
>>2915184
My idea for breaking the market force would be:
>create a distributed platform for videos similar to GNUsocial
>enable individual hosts to do their own advertisement policy
>create a video search-platform and account-management site to act as a "meta-YouTube" that finds videos from all over the internet
>>
>>2914971
>>2914979
>>2914965
>>2914941
>>2914974
thanks. i guess i'll wait for the GH5 announcement and decide then.
>>2914980
yeah i'm building one currently.
>>
I'm looking for a 10-12mm Video lens for my MFT cam.
What's a good one for less 500€?
>>
GH5 announcement when????
>>
>>2915425
longest fucking blueballing.
The IFA runs until 7.9., so expect them to drag it out that long.
They already talked about "the benefits of Lumix G cameras" though.
>>
Anyone on here have both a Nikon DSLR with video capability, and a mirrorless Panasonic like the GH4/G7/GX85?

While my G7 is in for warranty service I'm seriously itching to pickup an APS-C Nikon as a second angle cam and also to fill in while I'm waiting to get my camera back. I'm just worried that they are a gigantic terrible pain in the ass to film on. I know you can't change aperture while it's recording. What's the haps yos?
>>
>>2915663
>Nikon
>video
>ever
No

>can't change aperture while recording
>aperture rings
>touchscreen
>smartphone apps
>decent fucking dials
If none of this is possible, don't get that fucking camera.
Just get an A6300 used or a A6000 if you don't care about 4K for your second cam. They are great stills cameras as well.
>>
>>2915674
The D5100 shoots 1080p @ 30fps and costs 100$ on eBay. I also have all Nikon glass. The A6000 would be a new system and an investment in new lenses for the system.
>>
>>2915677
There's a reason why every people use Canon for DSLR shooting.
If you want to stay Nikon, prepare for shitty encoding, bad bitrate, bad codecs, problems with natural colours in video.
You do not want a significant jump in quality in your overall footage.
Also, investing in an E-Mount system might not be that bad of an idea.
E-Mount has great lenses and they can easily be adapted with a speedbooster. Getting the 18-55mm 1.8 is a popular alround setup for the GH4/G7
>>
>>2915684
Well for a while I was contemplating picking up a GH2 as a second angle camera and then when I started looking at the used prices I found that you could get a lot of Nikon for the same price as the GH2. Since I'm already adapting lenses from Nikon to m4/3 I thought maybe I should just grab a Nikon and give it a shot. The encoding and bitrate though is not something I was looking at previously. I normally shoot 4K 100mbps and then downsample it to 1080p. I don't do any kind of grading currently and just use either the standard or natural picture profile in camera.

As for the E-mount lenses I don't see an 18-55 F1.8. I see an 18-55mm F3.5-5.6.

My other options for shooting for the time being are a Lumia 950XL at 4K but with jellotastic stabalization, or a SJCAM M10+ for not very good quality fish eye vision... I'm trying to weigh whether picking up something like a D5100 or a D3200 or even a D7100 would be worth it to have a second camera and also to use while I'm waiting for the camera to come back. I'm not opposed to Sony but even that A6000 looks to be like 600$ used on eBay.
>>
>>2915674
>>2915684
It's glaringly obvious that you've no idea what your talking about. People only shoot on Canon because it's what their friends have and what they see being advertised. Canon video has been lacking for awhile now when compared to the competition. Nikon has gotten much better at video than they used to be back when the D5100 was around. All the newer base model Nikons put out very good looking video that surpasses the stuff you get from Canon DSLRs save for the 5D.
>>2915692
What kind of lenses do you have? If they're full manual vintage Nikkors, I suggest grabbing a D5200 or D5300, since you won't need to worry about the whole "electronics holding you back in video mode" thing that Nikons usually have. Here's a sample of some video shot with a 5300, www.cinema5d.com/?p=23465?p=23465
If you know how to work around it, shooting video on a Nikon is no more difficult than shooting on a Canon.
>>
>>2915724
I have two full manual Nikon lenses, one AF G lens and one AF-S G.
Even if I shoot with the AF-S lens though I can just put it in MF mode and then the only thing I'm being "held back" on is adjusting aperture while recording right?
>>
>>2910467

Hey guys. I've directed a few shorts and a feature (nothing of note) but I feel like my visual direction is lacking.

I'm looking for something to help improve that but it has to be something I can do on my own (since I can't have a cast/crew at my every whim).

Would photography be a good help? Since I'm using a camera and focusing on composition/framing/lighting it seems as though there's good crossover for that. Thoughts?
>>
>>2915834
Of course DoP is related to photography. It is photography with an additional dimension.
But in order to not blast random photography advises, you better show some of your work and we can tell you why it's hideous crap.
>>
>>2915834
Maybe learn a bit more about how a DoP works, and then just watch movies.

See how they visually create a world and copy that. Then you'll gradually find your own style.
>>
>>2915724
>It's glaringly obvious that you've no idea what your talking about.
And then you follow that up with a statement that shows you don't have the first clue why people have been shooting Canon for video.
>People only shoot on Canon because it's what their friends have and what they see being advertised.
Not in the slightest. Seriously. You really need to avoid preaching about topics you know nothing concerning.
>blatant nikon fanboyism
Ah, that's why you don't know dick about video or why things are how they are/have been how they were.
>>
>>2915724
>If you know how to work around it, shooting video on a Nikon is no more difficult than shooting on a Canon.

Or you could just cut the crap and and shoot on a Sony or a Fuji.
Because they actually know their shit around video rather than "trying to catch up to 4th place".
ALso, Mirrorless is way better for video for various reasons, such as flange distance, adapting lenses and liveview.
Why walk with a crutch if you could just choose not to? There's no point in getting a DSLR as video other than "they're really cheap used"
Yeah, so are Sony a6000. And they are actually good cameras. Better to invest 700 bucks into a halfway decent system now than to invest 100 bucks and have massive quality jumps in your stitched material later on.
>>
>>2915834

Watch movies and try to break down why the director and DOP made the choices they made. Why the camera moves in a certain way, why it doesn't move in some scenes, what the compositions are telling you, how the scenes have been blocked, how the lighting adds to the story etc etc.
>>
>>2915836
>orientate on the work of others
>find an own style
... choose one
>>
What's a good starting lens to use with the A6300? Are there any main cons against the camera besides the rolling shutter? (from what I've heard the Overheating issue is no longer an issue).
>>
>>2915858
>What's a good starting lens to use with the A6300?
The standard 18-55mm is going to cover 90% of video work.
Consider getting the 1.8 if you got dosh to spare. Or buy a set of fast primes.

>Are there any main cons against the camera besides the rolling shutter?
Yeah, it's made by Sony, so as soon as that thing corrodes away in your hands, Sony is gonna go "Oh btw, when we said 'SEALED' we didn't mean ACTUALLY WEATHER SEALED!"
>>
>>2915874

Probably should have said that I'd be working 95% of the time with video. Will take into consideration, thank you. How much is the 1.8 fetching for at the moment?

Wouldn't just good proper care of the camera result in it not getting destroyed by the weather or is it THAT much of a problem?
>>
>>2915876
>Probably should have said that I'd be working 95% of the time with video.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. for an ASPC-Sensor, 55mm is going well into Portrait category. SO unless you want to do Zoomed footage a lot, the 18-55mm still covers most of your stuff.
>How much is the 1.8 fetching for at the moment?
Just realized that's actually a canon lens.

>Wouldn't just good proper care of the camera result in it not getting destroyed by the weather or is it THAT much of a problem?
There are cases with the sony A7 series corroding from breath and sweat only. Dunno how the A6300 deals with it, but the way that Sony handles this has damaged their reputation immensely.
>>
Anyone have experience with XLR Adapters? Was considering buying the Beachtek micro pro to connect various mics directly into my camera. Wondering if there are any better alternatives.

Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
File: ZoomH4n.jpg (63KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ZoomH4n.jpg
63KB, 800x800px
>>2915923
XLR adapters are a more solid connection and they can give phantom power, which enables you to connect way more powerful microphones. But it also means that the recording device will suck more power. Not all XLR microphones require phan tom power though. SO you can get a 3,5-XLR adapters and use them even on your phone.
When buying a recorder with XLR ports you should look into the "cross-shaped" ones like the h4n has. they can still take a 6.35mm connector, so you still have the option of using the more commong plugs.
>>
>>2915923
>Beachtek micro pro
At that point, just buy a separate recorder like the Zoom H5n that has xlr ports, which gives you a massive advantage of not having the position of the mics tied to the position of the camera, and I promise, syncing video and audio is not that hard.
>>
>>2915937
All cool but don't get the h4n if you're using it with shotgun mics.
>>
>>2915937
The mic I have needs phantom power so that's why I was looking at those. Plus the beachtek ones run off of their own battery so it would completely kill my camera's when I use it.

I'll keep an eye out for those cross shaped ports though anon thanks.
>>
>>2916083

Adding on to this post I found a Saramonic SR-PAX2 for under £100 and from what I've seen it functions almost identically to the beachtek but it's considerably cheaper.

Thanks for all the help everyone have a good night.
>>
>>2915946
why?
>>
What's a good app for android that allows me to cut video? Just basic stuff like recording/adding audiostrips, cutting Clips and stiching them together?
>>
File: issue.png (838KB, 859x434px) Image search: [Google]
issue.png
838KB, 859x434px
Anyone know what this is called? I'm going over a recorded livestream and the video sometimes gets weirdly banded like this. It's on and off, I presume it has something to do with the livestream's lag at the time.

Looking to get some more info on it since I'll be livestreaming in the future and looking to prevent it. Thanks
>>
>>2916146
google:
interlaced video
>>
>>2916154
Thanks!
>>
>>2916154
>>2916158
actually it's call video combing or mice teeth or saw tooth type edge distortion. It's a result of not properly deinterlaced half-frames. (or actually the fault is to not record in full-frames [progressive] .. as nowadays there is no need for interlaced video. actually the opposite case is present.)
>>
>>2916096
he's talking bullshit, it does not make any difference which characteristic the mic has which is connected to the (any) recorder. how could it even? as if the recorder could distinguish what mic is connected.
some (real) shotguns (which means the really long ones, not that rediculous rode ntg5 shit) are recommended to use with higher voltage which a small recorder may not supply, but that's nonsense, every condensor mic can work properly with 48V, the more when they are small membran, which every shotgun is.
>>
>>2916162
Thanks for the clarification. Would you happen to know why it would start/stop occasionally during a livestream broadcast? It was saved in the output as well.
>>
>>2916185
Sounds like it was interlacing and the feed was lagging.
>>
>>2916185
It will be more apparent in motion. Artifact of scaling interlaced content without deinterlacing first. Outside of a few specific cases you can't really fix the video in such a state.
>>
Hey guys hope this is relevant:

I have some 30fps mobile phone footage that I want to export to 25fps (over cranked? I don't mind if the footage is slightly slowed) but I'd also like to put it through a stabilizer.

Can any one recommend me a good piece of software to do this? I want as much smoothness as I can possible eek out of this material, that's why I'm happy to have it run at a slower framerate.

I'll also be cutting it into some 1080p25 DNxHD clips, so that may affect how I export.

Here's the deets on one of the videos:
>Resolution: 1920x1080
>Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
>Frame rate: ~29.694234
>Planar 4:2:0 YUV
>Bitrate: ~17.6mps

>inb4 don't source on a mobile phone ever.
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>2916319
Oh, sound not an issue. Just using the vision.
>>
>>2916185
You most likely recorded the badly deinterlaced stream as full-frames. So the edge distortion is now 'hard-coded'. As mentioned before it will be most noticeable present in motion - the quicker the motion the larger the distortion.

There are some algorithms to fix badly deinterlaced material afterwards. They detect the distortion and displce the assumed half-frames and try to smooth the edges. It's an unpleasant thing to do and you will lose quality.
The only proper solution is to deinterlace well before streaming. .. or to record non-interlaced.
>>
>>2916319
You can edit your creep-shot of your aunts walking ass in any NLE software. Nearly any NLE will give you the option to replay the footage at a different framerate and export it like that.
For stabilizing you may have to use some more advanced software. As open-source there is VirtualDub for Windows or generally blender (cross-platform) which has a mighty motion tracker, but can be complicated. (... I don't recommend commercial software ... since, u kno, nobody pays me to do...)
>>
Help me make a personal little ad hoc market research:

Would you be interessted in purchasing 3D-printed cine-mods for your lenses?

Like those re-barreled/re-housed mods which out there but for a sane price (these mods cost a good 10x more than the lens you mod ...)? Ofc they wouldn't been of metal, but black ABS with colored marks.
The benifits would be a larger housing with a big front diameter, in-house focus, 15mm rings for follow focus and the scales readable on the sides (aka look at my profesionel lens).

If you would by one (for a price around the lens or a bit cheaper), which lenses would you like to be modded?
>>
>>2916371
Ha! No, actually it's some candid footage from a performer's pre-show shenanigans. I'm incorporating it into a video for them.

I do have a long time till the deadline, should I use Blender and use the motion tracking part of it? Like I'm willing to do a long learning curve for quality results. or is Virtual Dub just as good for stabilization?

there's a lot of walking and following, slow pans, not much in the way of rapid movements.

it's just a pity I can't recreate the footage.
>>
>>2916375
the re-housing mods replace the focusing helix with a fully-manual, longer-throw version that is the big plus to cine lenses.
unless you're planning on 3d-printing those, clip-on follow focus gear rings are the next best thing, and they're injection moulded by the thousands.

tl;dr, dont bother except as a proof of concept
>>
File: Bee collision.gif (1018KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
Bee collision.gif
1018KB, 400x227px
>>2916121
anyone?
>>
File: a happy little gondola.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
a happy little gondola.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
Pulled the pin on an A6300

been years since I shot video, wish me luck noongahs.
>>
File: 1371354382613.jpg (28KB, 984x688px) Image search: [Google]
1371354382613.jpg
28KB, 984x688px
why do people spend so much money on gimbals to get footage that looks worse than $99 chinese steadicams?
>>
>>2916371
>>2916386
Just want to add a tack on question:
Colourgrade before or AFTER stabilization?

What would you do?
>Edit in NLE
>Colour Grade
>Export lossless
>Into Stabilizer
>Export lossless
>Slide into 'Vision Lock' EDL

Or would you
>Convert lossless
>straight into stabilizer
>export lossless
>Edit in NLE
>Colour grade

I'll probably just fuck around with a test file to see if pre- or post- colour grading looks better
>>
>>2916814
noice.
What lenses

>>2916833
Because they don't know how to use them properly?
>>
>>2916375
I would be if they are reasonably priced (say, under $250USD/lens).

Personally, I'd say pre-ai nikkors. It's less about the look of the product, more or less due to the fact that older stills lenses have the issue of the helicoid physically moving a few mm's in either direction of the focus rack it'd be great if that issue was solved, particularly on the normal to telepohoto range (28mm through 205mm [the UWA's usually hit infinity very early - so I don't see much of a need to mod those ])

However, I suspect that the development of this would be at a considerable cost, and it requires some good engineering & physical modification of the lens to enable the ABS rehousing to work correctly.

The other tricky thing I can think of is that if you add a focus scale to it to provide for a longer focus pull (like a proper cinema lens) you deal with the fact that every focus measurement would change slightly, and the backfocus will certainly be a bit off (unless it's a full PL Conversion [PL has a standard flange distance, stills manufacturers sort of fudge theirs from camera to camera or don't release the precise specs, along with material variations in different conditions]). One would have to test the lenses and determine the precise distances of each marker - which will be even more difficult on most of the lenses we want to rehouse as the distance between marks is highly imprecise (say, 1-2mm's separating 2ft from 5ft).

tl;dr I'd highly suggest talking to a good lens technician/craftsman (the more experienced the better) as part of your research.

>>2916833
over-reliance on the technology, and assumption that it makes up for poor skill as an operator.

>>2916814
good luck, bring lots of batteries, and a tripod.
>>
>>2916932
any suggestions for >>2911802 ?
>>
>>2916923
just the 16-50 for now.

>>2916932
fluid head tripod is my next purchase, I don't like the look of shaky shit handheld footage anyway.
>>
File: frog.jpg (45KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
45KB, 709x765px
I updated ML on my canon 6d and decided to give raw video a go again. Then I saw the moire..
>>
thoughts on blackmagic ursa?
>>
I am considering (for weddings and stuff) the GX8 for 4k video. Should i go for it or not?
>>
File: fuckpeopleman.png (67KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
fuckpeopleman.png
67KB, 700x600px
So I shoot everything, concert videos to boring interview type shit to hipster artsy videos that make most of you cringe so theres a lot of shit i need to get and im researching like a motherfucker

already have 5D3 w/ RAW magic lantern
schatler ace tripod
24-70 tamron
70-200 IS II canon
50mm USM canon
Rode XLR shotgun mic + boom pole kit
H4N Pro

I definitely need a hotshoe LED, so any suggestions on that would be great

I'm looking to find softbox kits. I was thinking about getting these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SC0DRW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A03520373CLC1YCCGTYBI

And mounting a triple hotshoe mic + LED with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FN6K3S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ISCC5HPW8KU9

Biggest thing is what is a good gear option for keeping the shoot still - like a glidecam or a shoulder rig but something more portable, I was thinking maybe a monopod but that would get in the way a lot. Maybe just grab a shoulder rig
I do need a good hotshoe mic to record direct to the camera, as I'm trying to use my H4N on hot shoe and then tie audio together with pluraleyes

I'm also looking for a good slider (motorized? DIY motorized?), focus ring/puller.
>>
>>2917146

Godox LED308C 3300K 5600K Adjustable LED Video Light Lamp Panel Canon Nikon Sony
>>
>>2917034

outlaw plaid shirts, chain link fence, and red brick
>>
File: A6300 ISO 3200.jpg (491KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
A6300 ISO 3200.jpg
491KB, 1920x1080px
this guy again.

>>2916814

Jesus christ the kit lens for the a6300 must be the worst piece of shit I've ever used. It is soft as hell out wide. I was hoping to just skim by on the kit for a while but it's the worst kit in history.

But whatever, video is pleasing so far, still need to figure out how to grade it though.

Battery life isn't so bad for the style I shoot, bit disappointed to discover you can't charge the battery with USB while shooting otherwise my 10,000 mah phone powerbank would be very useful.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution95 dpi
Vertical Resolution95 dpi
Image Created2016:09:05 23:55:01
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
>>2917211
That schadenfreude when you watch the news or catch an infomercial and someone has a fine pattern on their clothing.

>>2917702
I realize I could do my own homework, but what format are you capturing to?
>>
>>2917702
>Battery life isn't so bad for the style I shoot, bit disappointed to discover you can't charge the battery with USB while shooting otherwise my 10,000 mah phone powerbank would be very useful.

That would probably cause that camera to catch fire.
>>
>>2916416
>>2916121
Seriously. need some help with this. None of the reviews/lists I find online give a conclusive statement
>>
>>2917702
How does the color compare to A6000? If there's not much difference then the 4k is the only major difference?
>>
/vid/ is so comfy (but slow)
>>
>>2918165
well it has a new s-gamut I think? dunno what to say about the colour to be honest with you.

https://vimeo.com/181501469

here's some footage of it in Slog-2 with no adjustments other than bringing down the exposure (I've read you're meant to overexpose it by about 2 stops)

I don't have any experience with the A6000 but it shoots 120 fps, and has pretty exceptional low light I guess?
>>
Any tips on working as a videographer? Thinking of starting a small business.
>>
>>2918265
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-u35tyZTM
>>
>>2918288
thanks based anon.
>>
File: Common Sense-1.png (2MB, 1197x694px) Image search: [Google]
Common Sense-1.png
2MB, 1197x694px
Hey /vid/ how can I improve the lighting of my video and eliminate the shadows, it's a very cramped area I should add
>>
>>2918315
Why are you filming inside an igloo cooler?
>>
>>2918316
Lol it is pretty small
>>
>>2918315
Diffusion. Reflectors.
Have you tried place the lighting source ABOVE the camera?
>>
>>2918318
That might work
>>
>>2918315
Are you a Keemstar correspondent
>>
>>2918315
get a decent camera and a more attractive location
>>
>>2918315
Go as low as you can, try sitting on you bottom or legs.
>>
>>2917702
>Battery life isn't so bad for the style I shoot, bit disappointed to discover you can't charge the battery with USB while shooting otherwise my 10,000 mah phone powerbank would be very useful.

How do you figure? I do it all the time. I did it just yesterday. Just because the side light goes out doesn't mean it isn't charging. Look at the actual battery indicator for the plug icon.
>>
What's the best way to do animation if you want a basic hand drawn, stick figure kind of style?

I'm thinking something where you see some of the lines being drawn in the video (no hand visible, just as if the drawing is coming from nowhere). Never done animation before, so don't have a clue where to start.
>>
>>2918956
Also, sorry if this doesn't really fit for vid, but animation is sort of vid so I thought I'd ask here.
>>
>>2918956
The clue is in your question
Hand drawn
>>
>>2918956
wow... that's a really hard question
it's akin to asking what's the best editor to use to make something like the true detective opening

It can be done in a thousand different ways
The most obvious one to you is probably the best way to go about it
Since you've never done any animation before then flash is probably the best place to start - or even powerpoint if you want something simpler
>>
>>2918315
What are you filming? It looks kinda interesting
>>
>>2918956
Hand Draw your frames, then take something you can add marks on (this way you place the paper in the same place each time), place a camera (phone camera, dslr, slr etc), take a shot for every movement/additional frame used - just make sure the paper is in the same place each time/fills the frame. Rinse repeat.

>>2918315
Take a step back with the camera/find a better place for one, second put a fill light between the wall and your subject.

Also, >>2918316 made me laugh - and yeah, it looks like you're in an igloo cooler.

Also, you need more light, lotta ugly chroma noise in there.

>>2918186
so much work but so little time :\

>>2917124
Big Ursa
Pros:
-Great package if you have a tripod head that can handle the weight.
-user interchangeable/upgradeable sensor+mount
-the huuuuuge screen
-images it produces
-screen for 1st AC/Focus Puller
-all-in-one package
-huuuuge colored audio meters
-new firmware is very nice
Cons:
- not made for high ISO performance
-expensive battery upgrade for budget shooters (vmounts/AB batteries are a good chunk of cash)
-heavy
-It's huge, same size/weight as a RED One
-cfast is pricey still
>>
>>2918956

>Never done animation before, so don't have a clue where to start.

For what you're describing, you can tape paper to a copy stand, or onto the wall and then use a tripod. Set your camera to manual, light your paper and expose correctly. Take photo, draw line, take another photo. Continue until done. Don't bump your camera.

If you want to do actual line animation, with a moving figure, buy a $4 pegbar and animation paper. Tape the pegbar to a light table and draw your figure at the start point of the movement. Then draw the figure at the endpoint of the movement. Then place them over top of one another and trace as many frames as you need to fill in the intermediate movement. Use some system to keep your pages ordered. If you want the movement to take one second, the first frame can be 1, the last 24. Whatever you do, It's just important you keep all your shit in order since 1 minute of animation can be like 1000+ hand-drawn pages.

Take all the photos into photoshop, import them as layers, put them on a timeline and export it as a video. Google how to do that since its been awhile since I used photoshop for it.

If you're really enthusiastic, you can buy a rotating animation light table with registration pegs. You can also buy Dragonframe, which allows you to operate your camera by remote and superimpose frames over live view, which is really slick for stop motion (which is about 100000x more enjoyable than autismo line animation). This is really unnecessary for what you're describing but hey, if you get interested, there it is.

http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/content/acme-pegbar-plastic
http://www.dragonframe.com/
https://www.nfb.ca/film/animated_motion_part_1/
>>
>>2918965
True.

>>2919096
Yeah. I thought of just drawing and taking photos like >>2919132 recommended. I guess flash is more along the lines of what I was hoping for, tech solutions to avoid the laborious process of drawing it frame by frame, but I don't like the look of most flash animations.

>>2919147
Thanks. Pretty helpful. After looking into it more I'm leaning towards stop motion. Could maybe pull off the drawing/line animation style using AE. I think you're right though, the line animation stuff is a bit autismo. What I had in my head worked but the numerous youtube examples have taught me it probably won't work without an incredible amount of skill.
>>
>>2919331
It's time to stop posting gearfag.
>>
File: daga6.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
daga6.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>2919411
how did i do?
>>
File: daga6b.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
daga6b.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>2919412
>>
>>2919411
>profitable youtube-tier

Honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at.
Colour scheme is surprisingly consistent.
>>
>>2919425
i lut it in avisynth to make it flatter.
>>
>>2919434
Very subtle, but the bottom one looks nicer because the saturation isn't as strong.

Then again I'm very fond of low-contrast, so I'm biased.
>>
>heard the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 + Speedbooster is best for MFT video cams
>the speedbooster costs more then the superbright, wide-angle zoomlens
Whelp...
Are there any superbright Fully MANUAL lenses for the same range?
Or should I get Rokinon 12mm + Pana 25mm + Pana 45-200mm instead?
>>
File: Chamber of understanding.gif (2MB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Chamber of understanding.gif
2MB, 300x400px
>>2919464
Ok I'll give some more background.
I currently have a Panasonic 25mm 1.7 and a 14-140mm 3.5-5.6
I am creatly displeased with the perfomance oif the 14-140 and want to sell it. I can still get 400-500€ for it online.
I could replace it with 3 different options

Option A:
>Rokinon7Samyang 12mm 2.0, fully manual, non-declicked
>Panasonic 45-200mm 4.0-5.6, Mega-O.I.S.

Option B:
>Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8, Power-O.I.S. (better than Mega)
>fuck long range

Option C:
>Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 + Electronic Adapter

Option B is a bit cheaper (I can get the lens from Amazon for 450€ but wouldn't be as bright. Option C would be the securest but wouldn't include wide-angle and it would cost the most by a far margin.

What would be your recommendation?

Option D:
>buy a steadycam for 100€ instead and try to live with the horrible LowLight perfomance and background separation of the 14-140mm
>>
What specs would a good-enough-to-edit-video computer have?
>>
>>2910553

...why are you shooting 4:3... in 4k...

...1080 is a 16:9 aspect...

Blowing my mind right now.
>>
>>2919649
depends. some programms use GPU and some others don't find out what your software uses.
Generally, a Radeon 280 or Geforce 760 are the medium area that's enough but not superfast
>>
>>2919660
Because I prefer 4:3
>>
>>2919649
Technically you could edit on anything if you use proxies, however rendering/vfx work/grading will be heavily limited.

I'd say:
Any GPU Past a 500 series GeForce + an i5/i7 system w/a minimum of 8gb of memory would work. You also want to make sure you aren't editing/playing footage back off of the same HD that your software/OS is using (tl;dr read/write speed bottleneck, Preferably run SSD for software, jbod/RAID for storage/archive)

(I personally use a 2008 mac pro 3.1 w/dual 2.8ghz Xeons, it runs davinci/AVID like a champ, I also have a 1.1 that I use as a server that can run Davinci as well w/a decent GPU).
>>
>>2911693
If you're just getting into vidya I would recommend LEDs as they're the easiest to use. They're dimmable, lightweight, able to run on small batteries and have variable color temps with a relatively large light source, so you don't have to work with reflectors/bounce cards/filters/softboxes as much as you would with tungsten lights (and to a lesser extent fluorescent)
>>
So question about the iPhone 7 Plus camera I'm not sure if anyone can answer. They showed the simulated depth of field being applied in real-time - does that mean we might get 3rd-party apps giving us low-dof video since we aren't getting it out of the box?
>>
Have a G7 and going back and forth on lens options here. Thinking I might scrounge every gift card and all my Bing rewards and go big. Two things I'm going between are the Panasonic 12-35 F2.8, or the Sigma 18-35 with Speedbooster. If I go cheap on the booster and grab the Zyhongi Lens Turbo II I'll end up with a 29-57 ~F1.1 in 4K FF equivalent. The Panasonic would be 27-80 F2.8.

I like that the Panasonic is wider and has OIS. I like that the Sigma is ridiculous. However, F1.1 is probably not all that useable except shooting in a bar or club or something. F1.1 outside is going to require ND filters to stay at 180 degree shutter. Or obviously stopping down but then you lose that shallow depth of field anyhow kinda negating the lens.

Right now with the 14-42 Kit I'm having a lot of trouble with space. I can't get far enough away from subjects at 14mm with the 2.3 crop factor. My back is against the wall and I'm cutting off most of the subject and that sucks. Both lenses offer a decent reduction over the 32mm equivalent of the 14-42 at the wide end. What ye think /vid/? I do talking head type stuff, instructional videos and lately have wanted to expand out some more.
>>
>>2919903
the zhong yi doesn't have electronic connection.
so you will have to shoot the smegma at 1.8 all the time and you have to set it from a canon camera first.

i'll just say, go native or the even wider metabuns speedbooster, XL?.
>>
File: tv1342054391425.jpg (72KB, 800x1094px) Image search: [Google]
tv1342054391425.jpg
72KB, 800x1094px
>the cost of your set up will always be higher because you have to consider the extras, like batteries, SDcards, etc.

Just how many extra things do I need for an average, not over-demanding shoots?
Let's say you have a mirrorless, a zoom lens, one SDcard and a tripod/mono.
What else do you need to have with you?
>>
>>2920010
Reflector (I mean you could just carry around a big A3 sheet of paper, but comeon.)
A second SD
>DO NOT only carry one. You never know when you'll need the extra space.
a lens protector/filter
a carry bag
a third party supplier backup battery
>You never want to be "whoops sorry guys, can't film anymore, camera is out of juice".

There's a few $'00 there.
>>
>>2920025
Just how much 4K video does a 128GB SDcard fits?
Should I get 3-4 64GB ones instead of 2 128GB just for safety?
>>
>>2919660
most cinema cameras open gate is 4:3
very useful for vfx tracking, stabilising and reframing in post when outputting in widescreen.
>>
>>2920032
More important than size is the writing Speed. Make sure they are category 10 class 3 cards.
How mich fits depends on the Codec and Bitrate of your camera. You can calculate from there.
>>
>>2920032
>Just how much 4K video does a 128GB SDcard fits?
Maybe 20 minutes depending on the codec/bitrate?

>Should I get 3-4 64GB ones instead of 2 128GB just for safety?
Absolutely. And get a proper case to carry them in.
>>
>>2920056
>20 minutes
I can fit around 45 minutes on 64GB with 100mbits H.264
>>
>>2920083
>H.264
I was assuming ProRes. I get 45 minutes of ProRes onto a 64GB SD.
>>
does the blackmagic ursa mini 4.6 looks very good or is there something i am missing?
>>
>>2920104
They're great...

If you know what you're doing and know what all else you'll need.
>>
>>2920056
>>2920083
>>2920089
>>2920032
"A 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 file will run you 5 to 6 GB a minute"

Fuck this is a big file.
>>
>>2920104
good camera, easy run and gun with the shoulder kit and v-mount batteries
fucking expensive memory cards you need a shitload of because only 3:1 raw
>>
>>2920135

4K is good at slaying poorfags
>>
>>2920105
>>2920137

you are correct about that. i found that you can add an ssd kit with 120 dollars but i am not familiar with the vmount plates and battaries.
>>
>>2919503
really could need some help with this.
Currently considering the Panasonic 12-35mm the most, because it is the cheapest (unless I luck out on the dual-lens setup), has all the advantages of Power OIS and autofocus.
>>
>>2920240
>>2919503
>see the 12-35mm 2.8 for 425€ on Amazon
>think about selling my 14-140mm for almost a week
>finally decide to do it
>10 minutes after I put up the ebay auction in hope of getting around half the money I need
>the price jumped back to 870€

Well it seems that decision just made itself.
I'll just hang onto my 14-140mm, have no bright wide-angle option and maybe invest in a canon EF + Speedbooster setup down the line.

BTW, does a wired speedbooster allow control of aperture and Autofocus through the camera or am I better off buying one with inbuilt remote control?
>>
>>2920104
It's a good camera but "15 stops of dynamic range" is kinda false advertising. Expect 13 at most, more like 12. Definitely not a $5000 Alexa by any stretch.
>>
File: question.jpg (19KB, 296x320px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
19KB, 296x320px
What Stabilizer for below 150€ would you guys recommend?

PhotographerMiyomo
>>
>>2920733

warp stabilizer and/or suicide

a glidecam is pretty much the minimum and even that isn't very effective
>>
>>2921138
oh yeah warp stabalizer is a great option. 30 second clip? 4 hours to analyze. 6 hours to render.
>>
>>2921174
in 1999, yes
>>
>>2921174
so then spend the $600 and stop being a cheap fuck
>>
File: kit.jpg (120KB, 640x584px) Image search: [Google]
kit.jpg
120KB, 640x584px
Thinking of getting the sony 55-210 4.5-6.3 for my a6300 to experiment with tighter video, any opinions on the lens? The international version is like 200 bucks. If that lens is shit any vintage zoom i should look at instead? This is for incredibly amature stuff.

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-L10
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)148 mm
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:03:26 18:33:48
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/14.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length74.00 mm
Image Width640
Image Height584
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2921138
>Warpbstabilizer
>Glidecam isn't very effective
I came here for some Insight into Budget Hardware, not Adobe Shilling.
>>
At what point in my post-production workflow should I grade? I'm doing this for the first time now and I'm not sure. Should I do it before or after I assemble my separate clips into my final short film in my NLE? That is, do I grade individual clips and then edit them in the NLE, or do I edit first and then grade the finished montage thing as a whole?
Also, if I grade individual clips, how should I export them from Resolve so that they are best for editing?
>>
>>2921686
use a roundtrip (xml, omf, whatever your NLE does) to resolve after your editing
if you feel uncomfortable editing the ungraded footage you can throw some clips to resolve and export a handful of LUTs from there that you slap on your proxies while editing
>>
File: vlcsnap-error735.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-error735.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>2910467
Can someone post me in the right direction to learn about color correction and grading?

This is a still for the doc I'm shooting.

Could someone correct it to something decent, just to see how it shoud look like
>>
>>2921701
>grading 8 bit non-log footage with blown highlights
have fun doing damage control instead of color work

look at the resolve manual and getting started thingy, also the adobe tutorials for speedgrade are pretty good but of course a bit software specific
there's loads of good other tutorials around the web. if you're new to this I really recommend looking around them instead of just fucking around yourself, which might be really frustrating, especially with really complex software like resolve
>>
>>2921695
This.
Also: always do the grade a whole, because slight differences in lighting conditions can cause each shot to have drastically different contrast and colour.

The name of the game is usually 'consistency'.
When you have the final, or near final cut all in one place it's orders of magnitude easier to know how smooth out the variance.
>>
>>2921695
>>2921712
but if different scenes have different lighting conditions etc then how do i grade that as a whole?
>>
>>2921695
>>2921712
also in what format should i export the whole thing from my NLE into resolve?
>>
>>2921726
as a whole means not as one file, but the whole film as it is edited and ideally you grade it in one go - no going back and forth in between grading and adjusting edits or you'll fuck up your consistency

>>2921729
what ever the round-tripping wants you to
mxf container'd dnxhd/hr sq (don't blow up bitrate that was never there) if you have the avid codecs, prores 422 if your NLE has the codecs for that
doesn't matter on resolve's end mostly because it'll eat everything, important things are intermediate codec and 10 bit 422 at least, but don't make your life extra hard with using super high bitrates and 444 if your footage comes from a canon h264 anyway, you know
>>
>>2921733
yeah i understand that it means the whole film rather than the whole file, but i mean will i be applying the same grading changes to every scene or will i be able to select different clips?
>>
>>2921739
No that's the point grading.
You try and make it all look the same even though each shot is graded different. Different shots will need more red, less red, more green in the high end, less green in the high end.

May I ask? If you don't know that: why are you grading this?
>>
>>2921743
I see
>May I ask? If you don't know that: why are you grading this?
Well as I said I'm doing this for the first time for my first short film, footage looks like shit otherwise without colour adjustments as it's just flat
>>
>>2921739
both, you want to match and grade each scene and each shot because what would be the point of the whole thing ohterwise
and maybe you want to apply some general look or even just some output sharpening on the whole timeline as well
I think you should really take a look at resolve's manual now and watch some tutorials
>>
>>2921701

dat btfo
>>
>>2921701
For a documentary try to correct the shot for any lacking or overdone exposure first. Skin tones is the best indication for this. For example in your shot the shadows could use some gain, as most faces are in shadow.

While grading exposure be sure to follow waveform monitor to make sure you aren't losing any detail. Use of simple brightness or contrast filters can easily result in lost so at times use something more refined, like a curve filter to accurately compress or expand areas of different exposure. You can make selections based on exposure and then grade them separately.

Another good thing to know is that cameras can store slightly more exposure than what they show. In a waveform monitor it's the area between 100% and 109%. When video color format is converted to rgb the 100% becomes pure white, the rest 9% are thrown out, but you can still use them by bringing down the exposure in the highlights and thus revealing more detail.
>>
>>2921701
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX45Yi1spY4
>>
>>2921726
>but if different scenes have different lighting conditions etc then how do i grade that as a whole

First grade for a neutral "correct" look for no emotional bias. This involves correcting white balance and exposure. Underexposed or overexposed footage will also usually have less saturation so correct that too. At tis step it's important to not lose detail.

Following grading stage is about making film specific edits, coloring specific scenes for an emotion or context. You make selective and then overall grades.

In documentary you can get away with the first edit only.
>>
>>2921892
>You make selective and then overall grades.
ah thanks, this is what i was asking about
>>
Familias, what's the cheapest camera I can get that has all the bells and whistles and amateur filmmaker may need?
>>
>>2921960
gh4
>>
Tell me some surefire ways to make money shooting video /vid/

besides weddings and porn
>>
File: 1.jpg (228KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
228KB, 1000x750px
>>2922449
-image spots for mid tier companies
-freelance and assistant/consultant work for social media division of companies and youtube networks (f.e. here in germany a big one is studio71 which is actually a daughter company of a huge ass tv station but they cut corners and outsource EVERYTHING - the work is painful, though)
-getting to know the right people

the last one is the most important, as always in this type of business
f.e. right now I'm shooting a series of cooking shows with a (at least here) relatively famous tv chef who's no longer interested in working with the big tv channels and wants to set up his own space for content creation
knowing a lot of people at least in your city helps to find out about opportunities like these and personal recommendation is much more efficient and important than a strong portfolio, sadly
>>
>>2922455

if you had the option of getting a bmpc (1080p) or a panasonic gx80, which one would you choose?
>>
>>2922536
blackmagic pocket
log and 422 10 bit is a must
>>
>>2921830
>While grading exposure be sure to follow waveform monitor

as in external recorder? i am confused.
>>
>>2922541

you seem to know an awful lot so i will ask you another question.

What is the cheapest external recorder that can fully utilize the bmpc?
>>
>>2922554
the built-in one, actually
the SD interface is fast enough to record even the DNG raw or HQ set prores files so why not use it that way
the blackmagic video assist is really cheap and on sale where I live atm so if you don't have an external monitor (which you really really need for the pocket because form factor and the internal one sucking balls) then I'd just go for that, it doubles as a 10 bit 422 recorder as well if you want redundant recording
>>
>>2922536
I would get a used G7 instead. Or, splash a bit more cash and get a used GH4.
>>
>>2922557
>so if you don't have an external monitor

Well i was thinking of getting a used shogun 4k or shogun flame because of the hdd/ssd cost savings in the long run. Also i am seeing bad reviews for the video assist.
So, should i get a used atomos shogun variation or think it over.
>>
>>2922631
i see what you are saying but i used g7 will save me something like 50 pounds here. Compared to the used bmpc (~400 pounds) / used gx8 (~450).

So, what do?
>>
>>2922637
the shoguns are good devices, almost everything atomos is great but you don't really need half of the featureset for the pocket

>>2922638
be aware that the pocket camera still needs:
-loads of fast sd cards
-a shoulder kit or at least a cage with top handle and rigging options for your screen/recorder and your:
-v mount or anton bauer mount power plate and batteries to power the camera and your monitor because the nikon batteries are a joke
-some emergengy nikon batteries and charger
-lenses and lens adapters (the metabones speedboosters specifically made for the pocket's sensor size are great but really costly if you use lots of different lenses)

the bare minimum to operate that camera including the thing itself is at about 1200 pounds if you go with a lot of cheap stuff and get good deals and that's without an external recorder
>>
>>2922638
Where are you getting a used Bumpic that cheap?
>>
>>2922652
ebay or amazon used
>>
>>2922644

same guy btw.

i have ordered the rig. I am considering the used atomos because i want to avoid the cost of the multiple sdxc cards e.g. 128gb lexar is 35 pounds in the UK, whereas a toshiba 480gb SSD can go as low 80 pounds.
as far as energy requirements, i am not sure what to look for or what are the costs (Some help with that would be more than welcomed).
As far as adapters as concerned i was thinking of getting aputure wireless follow focus used.
just i disclaimer, i want to move away from photography.

any thoughts on that?
>>
PANNAMASANIC!
WHY YOU NO ANNOUNS GH5?
WHY YOU NO ANNOUNS 20MM MKIII?
WHY YOU NO ANNOUNS 12-35mm MKII?
WHY YOU NO LIEK MONEY?
>>
File: 1467930042498.jpg (40KB, 467x433px) Image search: [Google]
1467930042498.jpg
40KB, 467x433px
This has gotta be the slowest general in history. wtf
>>
why are you people always only discussing technicalities and not the actual work you're doing?

finished this couple days ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jMP1YTFjo
>>
>>2923632
I have no fucking clue what happened in it, but it looked nice and seemed well filmed / constructed. I felt like the guy looking so hard into the camera while pulling the petals at times was weird and seemed wrong. Also the little goofy like "uh oh" when he ran out of petals. Other than those critiques though, good work. At least you're out there making stuff. I'm always advising people for YouTube stuff that no one is watching a video you didn't make, so the most important thing is to make stuff and get it out there.
>>
>>2923633
well i wanted to make something like from dusk till dawn (in a sense that the movie completely changes its course midway with no warning) but in way smaller scale, and i had two good looking people to use and no budget so i came up with this
>>
>>2923636
Well it definitely changed tone. I just couldn't figure out what actually happened. As soon as she gets in the apartment she's just rolling around on the floor and the guy isn't doing anything. It was like she was having a two year old tantrum or something.

Also she is very pretty.
>>
File: chickendance.gif (755KB, 221x158px) Image search: [Google]
chickendance.gif
755KB, 221x158px
>>2923632
uh, much artsy. many kino. so twist. wow.

*fart*
>>
>>2923602
I made the last three generals and they had a good flow. Then OP decided to take over and make the new thread. Too early btw. And he seems not to understand that he has some responsibility to keep the thread going. .. But what to expect from someone choosing a canon as the intro-pic 8^[
>>
When connecting a FD-lens to MFT via a wired adapter (not a speedbooster necessarily) can it still autofocus and aperture and stabilize or only receive EXIF data?
>>
>>2923723
Aren't all FD lenses plain mechanical? Did you mean EF?
>>
>>2923780
Yes. Dunno why I typed that.
>>
>>2923723
But seriously, can EF lenses be Controlled via MFT and a wired Adapter?
>>
I editing some 4k footage who has shoot for being in 2k 2:35 crop in post-prod. I work on Premiere what can i do that? At the export or at the creation of the sequence?
thanks Anons
>>
So, when is Black Magic gonna update the BMPCC for 4k?
>>
i have a t2i with ml

is it worth shooting raw? for it to work i have to crop to some fairly tiny resolution and its a pain in the ass to shoot with.
>>
>>2924037
I wouldn't
You can decent results from the mov compression
>>
>>2924001
Is the 4K also 2:35?
>>
Is it worth shooting a simple feature film on an a6000?
>>
File: Sakura_Trick_Art_06.jpg (907KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sakura_Trick_Art_06.jpg
907KB, 1920x1080px
>>2924367
So... your question is, is it worth shooting a feature film? No it's not. Regardless of gear. What would drive someone to ask such a question? Make a film because you want to not because it's "worth it".

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:02:15 18:54:02
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
Should I film on 30fps or 24fps? My dslr only has those options
>>
>>2924369
>Make a film because you want to not because it's "worth it".
Yep.

>>2924571
Which one do you like the look of more?

Where do you hope to exhibit?
>>
>>2924599
Youtube? Maybe a local theater. Nothing fancy.
>>
>>2924603
Youtube say you can upload 24,25,30 -- so that's not an issue.

If you expect to have multiple theatrical showings I'd probably show 24. But if Youtube is your primary medium and you like the smoother look of 30, I'd do 30.

Really think about how you want it to look and how people will be seeing it.
>>
>>2924257
nop it's standard 4k : 3840x2160
>>
File: Whats the deal.jpg (15KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
Whats the deal.jpg
15KB, 400x343px
Any flycams/steadycams/glidecams for below 150€ you guys would recommend?
I'm not entirely sure with the supercheapo ones.
Needs to be a central-pole design that can be put down on a table, instead of that weird crescent-design.
>>
>>2924811
I got a neewer glidecam for like £60
It's decent, I'm having trouble getting the balance right, but the structure itself is solid
>>
is there a way to record from a sdi output camera e.g. URSA to atomos ninja flame (hdmi input)? Maybe some kind of adapter.

Thanks
>>
as a photographer I'm going to a a 3rd shooter for a videographer for a wedding next month.

I probably wont be shooting anything directly but more like carying gear and setting things up.

Anything I should learn beforehand ?
>>
I need to record some video of a laboratory experiment in visible + IR. Any good camera bodies for this?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLm_q5J7D8
>>
>>2925116
Use what body you have for visible and I want to say you can rent an ir modded body from borrowlenses and/or lens rental...know focus will be a little off from the scale though
>>
>>2925101
Talk to who you are working for and find out what tasks they'll likely have you doing/what they expect out of you...there's literally no telling beyond just the basics of vocabulary, operating sound gear, and video gear
>>
File: 1467514585951.png (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467514585951.png
18KB, 600x600px
bump for the worst general on earth
>>
>>2924616
Ok. Then I would recommend making the sequence 2:35 from the beginning, so that you can see what your final output looks like while editing and recompose/chose which areas to crop out if needed. OR you can create a sequence with the original AR and make a 2:35 grid/overlay if that's easier. What matters is that you have control over your crop while editing.
>>
>>2925093
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters

I don't have any personal experience with this particular scenario, but blackmagic make like hundreds of different converters so there's def a way to make it work. If it's a good solution is a different question.
>>
Any analog or glitchfags here who can recommend me a good workflow to simulate glitchy video tape.

I'm not sure if I want to simulate it digitally, or spit out a analog signal into an old VHS and upres it once I reconvert it.
I've done this before through a very complicated workflow, but is there any USB plug-ons that can simply it?

If I could get my hands on a 1080p component video converter, theoretically I could wire up a glitchbox and keep the video at a higher resolution while still getting an organic, and very real looking analog glitch.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2926284
Do it the real way, experiment. Better and more interesting results. Glitch art is super fun
>>
I need a cheap stabilizing lens for my a6300 what do you recommend? (I have an active ef adapter too if there is a better canon option)
>>
>>2926461

>spent too much on the body
>has to buy a cheap lens

tale as old as time. you fucked yourself.
>>
>>2926461
35mm f2 is is the best and cheapest stabalized lens i can think of.
>>
>>2926284
It'll be faster doing it straight to a VHS.
>>
>>2926284

doesn't red giant have a plugin for that?
>>
>>2926236

thanks senpai
>>
whats the latest torrent for davinci resolve studio for windows? Also torrent where (i am currently in version 10)

thanks
>>
>>2926980
Just download the free lite version if you can't figure this out.
>>
>>2926461
Spend 300-400 bucks on the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8
Dunno if they have it for E-Mount. But they do for EF.
>>
>>2927030

i cant find anything in the public trackers since everything closed down. So, do you know?
>>
>>2927030
canon 17-50mm 2.8 has better IS
>>
>>2927129
And costs twice as much. For slightly better IS and a slightly less noisy AF
>>
What is the cheapest pro style video camera with interchangeable lenses that still shoots at least lets say 1080p30? Something like the FS-5 or FS700 but not insane bucks.
>>
Best tripod I can get for under 100 dollars?
>>
>>2927297
A used canon eos 1100d costs £120 after a quick google check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPe7pWclmog

That's a dslr, not a mirrorless though
There are probably sony's for a similar price if you use google
>>
I am using google but the problem is trying to track down cine/camcorders from all makes that have 1080p and aren't retardedly expensive. I've been recursing through the manufacturer trees trying to find that sweet spot where they are cheap but aren't shitty SD on MiniDV.
>>
>>2927341
>pro style video camera

FUCKING READ
>>
>>2927382
If you'd made your question clearer in the first place, I'd help you. I don't have the effort to check which cameras you're referring to. Don't say 'syle' in the future, just say 'professional video camera with interchangeable lenses'. But fuck that shit now
>>
>>2920104
I have one. It's really good.
>>
>>2927404
That was not me (the question asker). That was someone else who was sure upset about your answer though.
>>
>>2927348
>cine/camcorders

Do you understand these two are no interchangeable? They completely different markets and have different pricepoints.

>aren't retardedly expensive

What is your price point?
>>
>>2927419

did you have any blackmagic cameras before? if yes how does the change feels like (image wise)?
>>
whats the most hipster-handheld vcr recorder i can get that will still hold up today?
>>
>>2927297
BMPCC is the only thing that meats your requierments. They still cost like a thousand bucks though
>>
wtf is wrong with black magic editing tools? I can't open any of my footage in resolve or fusion. Standard mp4s here.

Just keep getting Loader1 failed at time 0
>>
sjhouild I buy the black magic ursa or the alexa arri?
>>
>>2928038
>standard mp4
... dear lord, how new can one be. Firstly mp4 is a container and not a codec. So most likely you mean h264. And sexondly there are dozens of "standards" for h264. Aka 'profiles' and 'versions'. So, make sure your file specs meet the requirement of yoir software. Or consider to work in pro formats and with pro software.
>>
File: Untitled.png (219KB, 1201x801px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
219KB, 1201x801px
Here we go.

http://www.panasonic.com/gh5/
>>
File: Front.jpg (241KB, 1280x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
241KB, 1280x1023px
>>2910467
I have a Canon 7D, which is alright for film in the right settings and lighting environments but it still doesn't look quite professional enough to the standards I want it.

I'm on a budget and would be happy with something thats similar quality to a C100 or so, but I want to know if there is something I can get for a bit cheaper? or even if its lenses I should be investing in?
>>
Can someone tell me why the lumix G7 has different cropfactors for FHD and UHD?
And what these Cropfactors are and what focal length would be considered "standard" for them? (to be more precise, what the sensor diagonal is)
>>
File: 0P34nEe.png (373KB, 673x848px) Image search: [Google]
0P34nEe.png
373KB, 673x848px
I was just given 6000 feet of 250D 35mm (15 400ft rolls). I have a 16 minute short film no audio (voice over and music and ambient only) so it could be shot on MOS, and KitSplit has a 35mm Arri from Du-All for $3k a month, should I do it? I have never done motion besides RED and Canikon bullshit.

Pic only mildly related.
>>
https://vimeo.com/183329665

slowly getting used to Slog-2 and resolve and what not.

Need to get rid of this 16-50 and get a fluid head tripod too but SOON.
>>
File: 1470506865538.jpg (46KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470506865538.jpg
46KB, 576x1024px
Sigma Cinema lens pricing w h e n
h e n
w hen
>>
>>2929444
Considering the concurrence Xeen, CP.2, Xenon, Veydra aso. the price for a prime cannot be > 3k and not < 1k.
The zooms will be around < 10k and > 3k. So the zooms will be the actual market competitor, because e.g. 5k for a zoom cine lens is incredibly cheaper than from other manufacors.
If you are hoping for 600$ for a prime and 1400$ for a zoom then you will be disappointed.
>>
>>2928787
the question is was are you unsatisfied with. maybe post an example.
>>
>>2929180
panning is hardly the problem with your shots or something which would make them better. only the last shot has somewhat atmosphere. the others are very dull.
and don't make lame excuses. testing shots, no money and living in a boring location are no reasons to bore.
>>
>>2929174
It is clear that your project will be for testing purpose / reference or the like. So you easily can go and give it a try. You'll learn a lot and then you will know why not to make commercial projects on film ... unless you have insane budget and a farty audience.
>>
>>2928103
I have a feeling you should buy a logitech c160.
>>
>>2927657
>vcr
>hold up today
choose one
>>
>>2929541
I know this is /p/ but you're trying a little too hard.
>>
>>2929550
trying what?
>>
>>2914695
Get a BMPCC or a blackmagic micro. It will teach you color grading etc. The gh4 barely has any good film like footage. The bmpcc has a shit ton of amazing footage that blows out the competition. And it's $995 instead of how expensive the gh4 is
>>
What's about this?
i did it.
very cheap!
>>
>>2928769
Seems like a video capture improvement over gh4 but there's really not much to go at this point in time.

The presentation video could've been handled better. There are blown highlights at places and visibly poor stabilization. The final camera lightning was pretty uninspiring.
>>
>>2929871
The G8 is looking to be a bit more pricey than the G7, but its additional features will probably make it dominate the entire Video Market up to the GH/A7 tier. Unless the GH5 comes out with amazing features, this Photokina will have been more of a "midrange upgrade" for Panasonic.
I wonder what camera will take its place as the new "cheapest 4K video camera".
>>
>>2929608
what are you smoking check out this incredible action film shot on the gh4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70sIWkjYyYM
>>
>>2929608
You're forgetting the GH4 has Vlog.
BMPCC:
>only FHD at 30fps
>no slo-mo
>battery lasts for like 30 minutes
>shitton of extra equipment required to make it work
>no buttons
>unergonomic
>shit crop factor
>>
>>2927643
No I didn't, but I know someone who has worked with the cinema camera extensively, and owns a big URSA. I let him try out my cam and he was very pleased with it.
>>
>>2930413

screw that guy i have a bmpcc and can't wait to snatch a gh4 as a second once the gh5 comes out.
>>
File: 1466495411030.jpg (74KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
1466495411030.jpg
74KB, 500x707px
Bump for the worst general on 4chin
>>
>>2931017
u can't bump at >300 posts aanymore, moron.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.