[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overthink what lenses to bring for travel with me, or, the curse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: primes.jpg (71KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
primes.jpg
71KB, 450x600px
Hey /p/otatoes,

I'm traveling to the Seattle, Vancouver, and Alaska next week and wondering what lenses I should take with me. I need to find a balance between versatility and portability, since carrying all that stuff around sucks esp. considering the number of stops I'll be making.

I've got an X-Pro2 and most Fuji primes:
- 14 2.8
- 16 1.4 (WR)
- 23 1.4
- 27 2.8 pancake
- 35 2 (WR)
- 56 1.2
- 90 2 (WR)

along with the 16-55 f/2.8 and 55-200 zooms. I also have an X100S, which I have been neglecting in favor of the X70.

I'm planning on bringing the following:
- X-Pro2
- 16mm f/1.4
- 35mm f/2
- 56mm f/1.2
- 55-200 zoom

The 16 and 35 are WR, which might come in handy in Alaska (weather seems to be mild in Seattle), and this range seems to cover wide, normal, short-tele for portraits, and a longer zooming tele in case it's needed.

I'm wondering if, instead of the primes, I should bring the 16-55 2.8 since it's also WR, and save myself some space and time switching lenses at the expense of the increased aperture and detail of the primes. I'm thinking I'm willing to bring the extra lenses but two weeks of carrying them around may make me regret it.

What do y'all think? What would you bring with you for a similar trip?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSCH-U960
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationUnknown
Horizontal Resolution0 dpi
Vertical Resolution0 dpi
Image Created2010:08:27 03:29:28
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating0
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.55 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width450
Image Height600
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
>>
16-55
55-200
Then:
56 if I'm going to take photos of people
23 1.4 if I'm not shooting people but still need a low light option

Gear thread
>>
>>2908034
Post in the fucking gear thread.
Xpro and 56mm, and the x70.
Every other suggestion is wrong.
now pls delet this
>>
56 if you really feel the urge to lug a third lens around
>>
Primes are over rated
>>
>>2908256
This
You'll find much better compositions if you move yourself first to align your perspective and fine tune it, then use the zoom to compensate for differences you made moving forwards and backwards to adjust the relative sizes of elements in the frame. I only use primes for low light and specialized applications like macro and studio portraits now.

But if you have to print every picture at 36*24 at gallery resolution regardless of what it is, by all means.
>>
23mm f1.4
>>
>>2908347
This! You don't need anything else.
>>
>>2908256
wrong faggot
the 35mm 1.4L II is the most optically retarded lens in the world and will be for a long time. not even the 50mm 1.4 art or zeiss's 50mm's come close to it. it costs $2000 just for a prime but combined with VSCO it is gauranteed instagram retardedness therefore gauranteed lots of pussy
>>
>>2908437
Are you describing him as wrong, and a faggot, or just saying he is the wrong faggot for you?
Is optical "retardation" a good thing?
Why are you comparing 50mm's to a 35mm?
What is a retardedness guarantee?
>>
>>2908437
this is a confusing post
>>
>>2908442
>>2908453
i am comparing the sharpness of 50mm's which are usually the best for that to the 35 1.4 ii, which is optically insane. it is objectively the most optically perfect lens around. zoom's are much more practical but they just don't have that bite.
>>
>>2908442
and i am calling it retarded because that's what it is. even spastics like https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurelien-buttin/
have succeeded more than you ever will because he is a gearfag and applies the same 800z shitty VSCO preset to every image then fucks up his highlights. it is not about how good you are with composition and subject anymore. the only thing people want to look at is hot girls and be inspired by people who try so hard to make their instagram look like they have a desired lifestyle. this is why a lot of you should just quit.
>>
>>2908458
Dude what. The Leica APO summicron 50mm is measurably the most optically perfect lens in small format, but even it pales in comparison to medium format lenses. I'm guessing you've either never used a 35 1.4L, or you made a really irrational purchase on one and it's your only decent lens.
>>
>>2908493
The Jenoptik CoastalOpt UV-VIS-IR 60mm f/4 laughs at your ridiculous assertion. Hell, the Leica isn't even a true APO lens, just the bullshitty photography use of the term.
>>
>>2908497
>The Jenoptik CoastalOpt UV-VIS-IR 60mm f/4...
Was designed for use with one specific 10mp apsc DSLR known for very soft images due to a ridiculously thick sensor stack. The lens suffers in the visible light spectrum because of corrections in the other spectrums that don't apply, and wasn't intended for photography or high resolution imaging at all. The Leica APO 50 II was designed for their film bodies with ultra low speed technical b&w film, some of the highest resolution imaging possible in small format.

I don't know where you fall on the spectrum but you might want to stop posting
>>
Id take the 16 and 35 and call it good.

Overcomplicated kits are a pain in the ass and will be more of a burden (not talking physically) than actually helpful.
>>
>>2908493
(no one tell him that the EF 200mm 2.8 is sharper)
>>
>>2908493
hahahahahaha
pls stop it
it's worse than the FE zeiss 55 which costs one tenth of the price.
>>
>>2908493
>>2908515
i have zoom lenses sharper than that piece of shit
>>
>>2908034

I went to Seattle and Alaska last month. I only had a 18-55mm kit lens and 55-250mm telephoto with me. If I had your options I would also have included a wide angle lens for panoramic shots and a fast lens for low-light photography. The telephoto lens got the most use because I did a lot of wildlife shots and of a naval destroyer coming into port. I have the feeling my opinion won't be too useful to you though because we have different objectives, most of my shots were stopped down except for during low light conditions.
>>
>>2908559
>wide angle for panoramic shots
>not 70mm pano stitches
retarded m8
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.