[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /p/ think of Lomography? [EXIF data available. Click

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: Lomo.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Lomo.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
What does /p/ think of Lomography?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCASIO COMPUTER CO.,LTD.
Camera ModelEX-Z60
Camera Software1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)38 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:08:09 13:04:18
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/3.1
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1600
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
They found a niche to exploit and it's working for them.
Not quite my cup of tea.
>>
>>2894137
stupid expensive for toy quality
>>
>>2894137
what kind of turd world building codes is that? FFS there isn't even any handicapped access. Must be China or SE Asia because of the moon runes.
And look down that alley, they run the fucking water lines along the exterior of the building! And then there's a goddamn drain pipe in the vestibule entrance to the left of the store. Just look at all that mold and scum on the concrete exterior. And are those circuit boxes next to the water drain pipe? Un-fucking-believeable.
>>
>>2894154
You just perfectly described Japan too.

Lomography gets people hyped on film. I'm cool with it.
>>
>Konstruktor is a blast to use
>LCP looks like a dandy film to do a trashy hipster photo series
>Also only company that makes 110 and previously 620 films

They're not as bad as everybody makes them out to be but their cameras are overpriced. Though between you and me OP I bet if they made a full manual Instax camera lots of /p/eople would be sucking the Lomo dingy, including me.
>>
File: Fry.jpg (21KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Fry.jpg
21KB, 500x281px
>>2894178
Oh hell yea Tipsy, i'll be like freaking Fry from Futurama.
>>
A store that sells overpriced plastic
>>
I got the one that takes four shots on a frame as a gift. It was neato until the gears broke because plastic everything. I would never pay the $45 (or was it $65) for one.
The Belair looks cool too, but fuck paying $250 for a zone focusing plastic camera.
>>
>>2894154
Looks like the HK shop, where I bought my first MF camera, a Holga CFN back in 2008. Good times.
>>
>>2894178
>Konstruktor
Can I see some of your shots with it?
>>
>>2894290
It is, the whole area is full of art galleries and trendy bistros. >>2894154 would kak his pants if he knew the rents around there
>>
I'm cool with them. They get people into film and stuff. Their cameras are overpriced though.

I've got a Holga that I shoot sometimes, it's a fun camera and I enjoy using it.
>>
More companies making film stuff is better than fewer companies making film stuff.

>>2894178
is a good point too. They offer things you can't really get elsewhere.

I even kind of dig the lo-fi aesthetic. It's not my thing, but it's a breath of fresh air against people posting about corner to corner edge sharpness who think that "tack sharp" is the best and only valid thing a lens can be. People hate lomography because it undermines their gear whoring, they can't wrap their brains around the idea that people would pay good money for something that doesn't offer perfect image quality.
>>
>>2894345
Yeah, it was p nice back then, probably even nicer now. HK is pretty cool for being "China".
>>
>>2894352
I don't know about people, but photographers who hate Lomography probably hate it because it encourages mindless snapshitting, not because the cameras are low quality.
Lomography is entirely about "this was shot with a shitty camera using shitty film! So quirky!" and has nothing to do with actual photography.
It is the essence of gearfagging.
>>
>>2894367
but why though? Why hate mindless snapshitting? There are going to be bad photographers no matter what, someone shooting slowly on a 5D/L glass isn't inherently a better photographer. I genuinely believe that things like lomography and lo-fi upset the hierarchy a lot of us have built in our heads about what we think of as "good photography", which is literally the point of lomo, a deliberate rejection of those things. I can accept your point that it's still gear related, that's fair. But it takes that same focus and pushes it in completely the opposite direction.
>>
I have a love-hate relationship with lomography.

First of all, I adore the LC-A. The original, USSR-built one. It's one of my favorite cameras. But I would never shell out $300+ USD for Lomography's chinese copy, let alone extra cash for their chinese copy with a russian lens. Although I would love to have me that Lomo LC-Wide.

I used to own a LC-A 120. It's a really fun camera. It's not a toy like most of their cameras and actually has a really sharp lens. The images I got out of it were some of the best I've ever shot. But it's made out of plastic and doesn't feel sturdy or robust. Its weight and build quality made me really question the $400 I dropped on it. Then there was the fact that it doesn't take a full 12 frames, and you had to "hack" the camera to get them. Even then, your first and last shots may not turn out. In the manuals, they even said "we suggest not taking your most important photos on the beginning or end of your roll!". What the hell. That was ridiculous. It was such an awesome camera in terms of the results it gave but I couldn't deal with the fucking unreliability of the thing. So I was very disappointed and was pretty pissed that they were selling something like this for $400 when it had such extreme reliability issues.

I also own a Lomo'Instant and it's my favorite Instax camera ever (next to my Instantflex, of course). No complaints there...Although like most lomo cameras, the results are unpredictable, so you may waste a shot or two.

Overall, I like that they're still making film and film cameras. I would never shell out more than $5 for their shit plastic toys, or several hundred for their copies of Soviet cameras. I'd rather buy the originals.

So I appreciate Lomography, but I'm not super into all their cameras and prices.
>>
>>2894370
I don't hate it but it's not photography.
Same way that beating your fists on a typewriter isn't literature.
If you paid for the typewriter you can treat it any way you want but don't pretend you're not just a child doing a childish thing without merit.
>>
went in once to see if could get my battery replaced for my k1000. they dodnt even know what the fuck i was talking about.

just walked right out of there. what a joke.
>>
>>2894388
So what about pros who use burstmode for everything? Is that photography?
>>
>>2894405
They don't use it for "everything" they use it situations that call for it. They still put effort into subject and composition and after taking the shots they put effort into finding the best one and editing it.
You'd be an idiot to not use burst mode for sports, for example.
>>
>>2894379
Why pay $400 for a plastic 6x6 camera? So many great medium format cameras sit at that price and below.
>>
>>2894370
>>2894352
its literally the same thing as gearfagging, the same as people who spend thousands of dollars for muh perfect image quality and sharpness. its just the opposite, people buying shit for muh colour shifts or muh blurry vignetting

both are concerned with superficial aspects and not about the photography itself
>>
>>2894454
I liked the lens and the images that came out of it. Very idiosyncratic. It's a shame the camera around it is so poorly built
>>
>>2894154
Wikipedia Page says HK.

And this >>2894159 Those 1 inch curbs suck. Relieved my mom didn't trip over them during our trip; I stumbled over a few myself.
>>
>>2894250
This.
But at the same time, hipsters help keep silver halide photography alive.

I've quite mixed feelings about it.
>>
>>2894137
I support anything that keeps plens buying film.
Also I support anything that keeps actual camera factories factoring, even if they are in the 3rd world.
Also, their instax wide camera and the Belair are cameras I could forsee having an actual use for.
Also, making a quality image with a plastic trashcam is quite a satisfying experience.

Haters gonna hate because they can't wrap their heads around the fact that other people sometimes like things they don't like. Fuck them, they're idiots.

t. FGT op
>>
>>2894137
To me, that's basically a shop for not caring a shit about taking decent photos, but paying a lot more than necessary for the privilege anyway.
>>
>>2894832
Like buying FF+L lenses and never leave the house? Welcome to /p/.
>>
File: 19362594743_61d5dd0125_b.jpg (336KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
19362594743_61d5dd0125_b.jpg
336KB, 533x800px
>>2894414
I never used burst once when I shot skating. Learn2time.

Why you so mad people enjoy lomography? The fact they're having just as much fun as you despite having spent a fraction of what you have on gear?

What's wrong with being at the bottom rung in terms of expenses for a given hobby? Do you think Le Mans drivers look down at LeMons drivers the same way? Do you see someone ripping around on an entry level snowboard d feel more entitled to the mountain due to your Burton?
>>
>>2894414
>They don't use it for "everything" they use it situations that call for it.
Also, I've definitely seen/heard lots of dude shooting portraits and landscapes in burst mode.
>>
>>2894870
That's because they are stupid faggots.

It is just as possible to take shit pictures with expensive cameras and it is to take good pictures with shit camers
>>
>>2894870
>landscapes in burst mode.

takes some special type of faggot to do that.
>>
>>2894869
>I never used burst once when I shot skating

real sports you retarded faggot.
>>
>>2894178
Here's a manual instax mini camera http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1258498&gclid=COeNp-KqpM4CFZGGaQodPZMBfQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677442%2C&A=details&Q=
>>
>>2894869
>Do you think Le Mans drivers look down at LeMons drivers the same way?
When they say "I've never used downforce in any of my races, lrn 2 drift faggot" I'm sure they do.
>>
I work at a store that sells this stuff so I have bought and tested out a few of these cameras. I think the people who buy these are looking for something fun, but it is a expensive investment. I like their instant cameras.
>>
>>2894306
As soon as I can find those prints I'll share what has been taken.

>>2894928
Well damn, though really prefer they make one with a faster aperture.
>>
>>2894997
The aperture is fine; still faster than any other instax camera on the market.

It's not fully manual; the camera is aperture-priority. No way to manually set the shutter.

Source: I own one, and it's the fucking shit
>>
>>2894928
Love the look and the photo it takes. Hate the living shit out of the price tag though.
>>
>>2896165
I've been shooting single frames of instax in my Mamiya C220 and then running it through a 102 land camera's rollers in a a dark bag. been pretty fun, some mixed results so far, but I'm getting the hang of it. inb4 "why the hell are you doing that?", I understand its impractical, its more for the fun of it than anything else
>>
>>2894154
Asian Property owners are Awesome
said very few people
>>
>>2896165
If you shoot a lot of Instax and want that control it's totally worth it. Otherwise, look elsewhere.
>>
>>2896299
Dude. Show us how you do this. Sounds awesome.
>>
>>2894869
Yes, they spend a fraction on their gear
Lomo 'Lubitel'-£280
Real Lubitel-£40
Clearly
>>
>>2898235
That's the thing that kills me about people hardcore into it...spending that much for purposefully substandard gear when you could get the same results at a fraction of the price just by buying something old and beaten up or even just old and beating it up yourself.

You can buy all plastic cameras from the 80s and 90s by the literal case for the same price as lomography charges for one.
>>
>>2898235
>Real Lubitel

It even looks better built
>>
File: 271878-lama.jpg (75KB, 880x880px) Image search: [Google]
271878-lama.jpg
75KB, 880x880px
This is now a trendy Lamagraphy thread.
>>
File: 79106592.jpg (415KB, 1024x736px) Image search: [Google]
79106592.jpg
415KB, 1024x736px

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: lomo ad.jpg (174KB, 1058x617px) Image search: [Google]
lomo ad.jpg
174KB, 1058x617px
>>2898235
>Lomo 'Lubitel'-£280
>>
>>2898715
>rounding down from 9

You're every merchant's wet dream
>>
>>2898715
>NOMO
What? Did someone photo shop that so it says HOMO instead of LOMO?
>>
>>2898740
Yep, it totally is, kek.
>>
File: 1470235959726.jpg (43KB, 699x637px) Image search: [Google]
1470235959726.jpg
43KB, 699x637px
>>2894927
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.