[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've posted a few of my beer shots here before and I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: received_10155027863119622.jpg (220KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
received_10155027863119622.jpg
220KB, 2048x1365px
So I've posted a few of my beer shots here before and I've gotten awesome feedback and advice. I've taken all of it and I have my best shot to date. Here is a 100% unedited shot taken on my nikon d3300 with a kit lense.
>>
>>2891171
post more
>>
also, doesnt matter if edited or not lol its not too much of a big deal; editing.
>>
>>2891171
Man, I can honestly see that you took advice from those previous thread. I think that this is by far the most pleasing shot you've given us.

Since this is unedited, I won't go nuts with comments, but a couple of things jump out at me:

1) That blade of grass in the top right corner cuts off the whole corner. It's weird since it's in the OoF background, but it's still distracting.

2) I'd editing is to that the can is a little bright and the colors on the can a little truer to natural colors. There seems to be some color casts dulling it.

3) The glass in the background is leading. I wish it was straight.

4) I feel like the composition is a little heavy on the left end of the frame. But, I do like the relationship between the can and the glass.

Seriously, though, you've gotten better.
>>
File: received_10155027863119622-01.jpg (586KB, 1819x1365px) Image search: [Google]
received_10155027863119622-01.jpg
586KB, 1819x1365px
>>2891177
I'm still using snapseed to edit (it's free and I can't afford something better right now, I just had a kid) but here is an edited version. I don't like how the beer in the glass turned out I'd like to spend time fixing that up.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:07:27 17:30:24
Image Width1819
Image Height1365
>>
File: received_10155027557549622-01.jpg (455KB, 1461x1334px) Image search: [Google]
received_10155027557549622-01.jpg
455KB, 1461x1334px
>>2891174

Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Image Created2016:07:27 15:28:25
Image Width1461
Image Height1334
>>
>>2891177
Thanks by the way!
>>
>>2891171
Good job, I like what you're doing and you are getting better. I'm really interested in that beer. Are you from Canada?
>>
>>2891195
Thank you so much! I'm not from Canada. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia PA. This beer is awesome. It tastes like somebody pour beer through a cold brew coffee system.
>>
File: 1469664669942-EditEDIT.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1469664669942-EditEDIT.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
>>2891181
>I'm still using snapseed to edit (it's free and I can't afford something better right now, I just had a kid)
Congrats on having a kid. I've got a 9 month old. It's a complete trip.

And don't worry about having a free program. You can learn a ton with free programs. If you really want to play around with a free program and learn some more stuff, you can always check out Gimp.

Here's a quick edit for color and exposure. I didn't crop or clone out anything. I just brought up the overall exposure, brought up the exposure some more on the can, added some contrast on the can, and then fixed the WB with adjustments to color channels (i.e., the whole thing had some cyan issues, so I added red, there was also a tad too much blue, so I brought it down and consequently added a touch of yellow). This is actually a pretty aggressive color change, but I wanted you to see how drastically blue/cyan your shot was.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:07:27 20:43:39
>>
>>2891189
You've got a thing where the left side of your frames are heavy. In this shot, the glass is dead center, and the can is to the left. The right is a big empty space of nothing. It throws the whole balance off. If you've got two main elements, you probably want to try to space them out a little more evenly in the frame.
>>
>>2891198
damn I'd love to try it, will have to look around for it next time i visit buffalo
>>
>>2891206
Everything looks so much more natural in your edit. It's funny beer people, which make up the majority of my audience never notice those things. I appreciate your help. 9 months? Must be a blast. Ours is 1 month, it gets a bit better every day.
>>
>>2891209
I've never taken notice to that. Thank you.
>>
>>2891215
>Everything looks so much more natural in your edit
Yeah, that was the goal.

I'm not at all against odd colors or creative uses of light. But, more often than not, when people are starting out, one of the biggest hurdles they have is figuring how how to just get natural color. It can be trickier than most people think. Once you learn to see screwed up colors, and then once you figure out how to fix them, *then* you're better able to get creative, if the shot calls for it. If you stick around /p/, look for threads by Alex Burke. He doesn't trip, but his stuff is instantly recognizably for its quality. He knows how to get colors right. He's got some tutorials on his website, and while they may be more advanced than you're looking for, even reading through them and trying to understand what he's doing and *why* he's doing it can be really helpful.

And one month, eh? Man. That's crazy town. I was thinking about it the other day, and I honestly can't even remember how we made it all work. The crazy schedule is like nothing else. Night and day don't really mean anything. You just live in 2-4 hour patterns. Sleep. Wake up. Feed. Change. Sleep. Repeat. It really gets a lot better sooner than you think. Newborn babies are cute, but when they start doing stuff and start looking around and figuring out what's going on, it's awesome.
>>
>>2891222
I'll check Alex out. And the rest of those words are so reassuring. Thanks for all your advice, now I just need to find more time to keep shooting.
>>
>>2891171
>lense
I hope you die a 1000 agonizing deaths
>>
>>2891171
>>2891181
>>2891189
>>2891206
>glass completely out of focus
>consuming beer mixed with coffee
>falling for the degenerate alcohol meme
sorry, OP, but you nigged when you should have nogged
>>
>>2891461
>>2891488
K.
>>
Posting in beer thread

These threads (I think we're up to 3 or 4 now?) have been really pleasant to watch because you've been receptive to the overwhelmingly constructive criticism given, which is rare for this board

The background separation/subject isolation is the standout improvement to me, no more distracting stuff behind the subjects :)

>>2891171 I'd get closer to almost fill the frame with the can which would reduce the amount of out of focus elements in the foreground, they are a bit distracting IMO

I do agree with >>2891209 - there's also a bright spot on the table which looks a little weird
>>
>>2891189
I actually like that this one has condensation on the can. It makes it look frosty and cool, despite the fact that IPA's taste like concentrated piss.
>>
>>2891171
>>2891181
>>2891189
>>2891206

Neat posts, OP. Looks good to me. I would be afraid to post my can shots on here.

Sidenote: I live near that brewery and they're excellent. Try the Furth if you haven't!
>>
File: abyss.jpg (4MB, 2703x3966px) Image search: [Google]
abyss.jpg
4MB, 2703x3966px
My latest shot, I really tried to work on my color here. Also I am editing with something other than snapseed. I am using photoscape x now.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwarePhotoScape
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:08:06 18:09:16
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceShade
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2703
Image Height3966
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2897729
now I just need to learn to resize it. What the hell happened here? Anyone?
>>
>>2897729
Rotate the bottle. Center the "The Abyss" and show off that brewery label for dat publicity.
>>
what the hell? Is /p/ actually into this utter garbage
>>
This is very low quality product photography. Dull colors, noisy, not in focus, poor composition.

ITT: OP taking advice from clueless casuals instead of professionals... and it's showing.
>>
>>2893880

>I actually like that this one has condensation on the can

Wow, so insightful, Anon. Good eye. Perhaps this could become a thing.

>when you like virtually every beverage advertisement in history
>>
>>2897993
No they posted here a while ago and got similar advice. I think they just dont look at enough product photography in general as our advice will only go so far if they're not able to visualise the results of it
>>
>>2897729
Yeah, like the other anon said, the bottle needs to be rotated.

Also, apparently this surface is angled, which makes the beer sit in the glass at an angle.

Also, the bottle is too dark.
>>
>>2897993
>>2897996
Oh fuck off with your useless complaining. If you've been around /p/ for more than a few days, you'll have seen that OP has been learning for a while now. He's gotten a fair amount of good advice from when he first started, and he's progressing nicely. You don't fucking become an expert overnight.

Everybody wants to bitch and complain about the quality of /p/, and then when somebody actually learns and grows, /p/ tries to take a shit on him. Y'all are the reason this board died.
>>
>>2898305

This board died because jealous people hated on the good photogs, m8.
>>
>>2898345
More like because shitty tripfags and creating cliques through shit like facebook and IRC, but sure, go ahead and believe what you want.
>>
>>2898362

Oh, yeah... that's what did it. Trips talking to one another made everyone take shitty photos.

Uh-huh.
>>
>>2898368
Yeah, that's what it was and not that the shit stirred up by tripfags/tripfag haters/and the drama of the various cliques helped create a toxic community that most people who aren't in some fundamentally way broken took one look at and then noped the fuck out, but yeah, it's all jealousy of the talented. Yeah, it's definitely not the thing that's still here and still in force and still running people off. Just jealousy.
>>
File: 1st shot.jpg (1002KB, 1418x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1st shot.jpg
1002KB, 1418x1430px
>>2898305
Thank you. I've owned a camera for literally 8 months now and have never used one in my life prior. I'm gonna stick around and keep picking out the good advice I'm getting. Here is an example of where I started, this is the first picture I ever took.
>>
>>2898302
Unfortunately the label was torn, I was trying to hide that.
>>
>>2897993
Alright then pro; how about some real advice?
>>
OP, loving the progress. You're doin' good.

If you want to try another free editing software Nikon's Capture NX-D makes decent results once you get used to the slightly strange interface. It's really great for NEFs too. I used to use Rawtherapee but after putting in a couple hours familiarizing myself with NX-D the results are far superior.
>>
>>2898557
free
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
Nik's now free too
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.