[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I get into photography? I have a camera on my phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1457978486195.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
1457978486195.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
Why should I get into photography? I have a camera on my phone that I can take pictures of shit anywhere I want without having to bring a bunch of peripheral shit. Plus getting a decent camera to start with is very expensive. Yet I'm still interested. What got you guys into photography?
>>
I wanted to buy a nice camera to take pictures of my progress when building guitar pedals so I could sell them easier so I got a dslr and did that

Then I found the negatives/prints I developed when I was in high school and got back into film

Now whenever I get really frustrated with music I can switch to shooting digital or film and then get frustrated doing that and the cycle is born

As for shooting with a phone camera I just find it annoying to hold/focus/control settings
>>
For me it's just a creative thing to do
The pictures from the camera on the phone is like a sketch. Good for conveying concepts but not wholly satisfying. And a proper edited image that was captured with composition and artistic intent in mind is more like a painting. More energy consuming, but more emotionally rewarding to make.

Everyone needs something creative to do imo, photography is easy to get into compared to painting or carving or sculpting. It requires less skill overall, although making actually stunning photos will require a lot of it. However the low entry cost is countered by more restrictions on the things you can depict in the photos. In the end I think its as good a choice as any, the limitations are a good challenge and there is always stuff to learn
>>
>>2885793
photography has nothing to do with what gear your use. a bag full of equipment, or your iphone. photography is the photographs you make. go look at the pictures in the phone photography thread, maybe you'll feel inspired
>>
You guys have been pretty helpful so far. I'm really just looking for something creative to do that will also get me out of the house so I thought photography might be the right thing for me. I was thinking of getting pic related to start off. What do you think?
>>
GTA graphics are getting crazy
>>
>>2885803
No need for an expensive camera, as the anon above said, your phone is quite powerful already. I'd recommend learning the basics of composition and editing with the phone. It's free, since you already have a phone, and you can use the experience to find out what you really want out of photography and buy gear accordingly
>>
>>2885806
Are there any good apps that might make phone photography easier? I've heard you can get lenses for phone cameras as well
>>
>>2885810
Snapseed. It's really nice for fast edits on your phone.
>>
>>2885793
because the pictures on your phone look like dogshit.
The lens is so tiny that every shot is a wide angle that makes human faces look ugly. (No pro portrait person would ever use a 25mm-29mm lens, 85mm+ is standard)

The sensor is so tiny that it's not possible to get pleasant background blurring in-phone, no, they haven't come out with a single solution for this in ANY phone model. Using two separate lenses with two even tinier sensors in a single phone just makes even uglier photos because it's preferable to have everything un-blurred than poorly-blurred.

The low light performance is usually also complete garbage leading to ugly grainy shots in low light and as phones never have an aimed flash to bounce sideways off walls or anything, you're always getting ugly natural-light grainy shots in dim areas instead of beautiful ones from a proper lighting set-up.
>>
File: KodakEktralite10.jpg (55KB, 477x640px) Image search: [Google]
KodakEktralite10.jpg
55KB, 477x640px
Back in the film days lots of people used cameras like pic related. If you were a child in the 70s, 80s, or early 90s your childhood family photos were taken with something like this, unless your parents were photography hobbyists.

Cameras like this, with their fixed focal length, fixed aperture, focus set to hyperfocal at the factory, plastic lenses, flash either on/off and that's the only control.. these are what phones replaced, and replaced very well. Phones are significantly better.

But if you're the kind of enthusiast that would have had a 35mm with interchangeable lenses in the 80s, you're still going to want to have the digital version of that today..
>>
>>2885793
Competition. I had a canon rebel t3i that I bought on a whim and was collecting dust. Then my buddy bought his own, a t6i i think, and asked if I was interested in learning along with him and keeping each other motivated. It's all friendly, but it helped give an incentive to learn the technical.

Then I learned that a bunch of women will take their clothes off without even to go to dinner, and I was hooked.
>>
I wanted my /mu/ instrument pictures to look as good as other anons. I started learning and figured out that I wanted a longer focal length and a tripod mount, so I bought a real camera. Years later, it's somehow become an integral part of the way i view the world. If I don't have a device capable of recording light on me I feel off.
>>
>>2885803
I used to shoot with an Olympus pen and I cannot recommend it. The metal body feels awesome, and the screens are great. It costs a lot of money but the controls, speed, and picture quality are under it's price range.
I can recommend a Panasonic alternative, those are usually cheaper and better value, while still being able to natively use the great Olympus lenses with autofocus and exposure.
>>
>>2886992
My parents (not nerds by any stretch) had a Nikon FE2. 80% of out pictures were taken with it and the remaining were shot on polaroid. I still have the FE2.

Now they use their phones, like good normies.
>>
>>2886992
I don't agree with this. Almost everyone I know (who lived in this era) owned a 35mm ilcs with a 50mm lens at one point.
>>
>>2885793
>What got you guys into photography?
I started off when I was 12 doing a pinhole photography class at a local museum, and absolutely loved everything about it. As a kid, capturing an image with a cardboard box seems like magic, and I was hooked instantly. Also I have an uncle who's super into film and digital, so he really helped me along with purchasing decisions, editing, technique, etc. It's a lot more fun when you have somebody to share it with.
>>
>>2887083
the only cameras I ever found in my parents or grandparents house were point and shoots. I only remember seeing 35mm compacts, instamatics, 110, polaroid and brownie box cams. I think I might actually be the first person in my family to ever own any kind of interchangeable lens camera.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.