[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck do I charge? I brought my camera gear into wo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: C2.jpg (5MB, 4000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
C2.jpg
5MB, 4000x6000px
What the fuck do I charge?

I brought my camera gear into work yesterday and my boss asked me to snap some photos of the band we had on. He found my photo blog and likes the waterfront pictures I've been taken, he likes the band photos I took for him, and he's asking what I charge.

I have no fucking idea, I'm a total amateur.

Help me please, I don't want to rip my boss off (it's a good gig and management is superb) and I never thought my photography would be anything more than a hobby.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7100
Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1066
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width160
Image Height120
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2016:07:14 20:22:54
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
depends on the gig, and the quality you can deliver.

If it's a simple 1-2 hour photoshoot gig with some 20 delivered edited pictures, i might charge 200€

If it's a longer gig, like ~5 horus documenting an event, and with maybe some 100 pictures delivered, i might charge 350€. But it depends on what type of gig it is. I might charge a student association less than a restaurant. And weddings are like 250% at least.

But this is a real problem in the photo world, inconsistent pricing. Some dude who produced half the quality you do might charge double than you do and be might have tons of clients lined up. Success in photography is really mysterious imo.
But if it's your very first gig and you don't really have that much experience and there's a risk you might fuck up, i wouldn't charge more than 100 dollars. Justify it by claiming it's a days work at 12.50$ an hour. You might only be shooting 1-3 hours but the editing take up the rest of the time. Also make sure it includes cost for travel and food and insurance. Always make a profit.
>>
Well first of all, can you guarantee good shots?

If the answer is anything but "absolutely" then you shouldn't charge much. Even easy gig work can be pretty taxing, thirsty work.

Do you know your gear inside out? Can it handle high ISO work? If not, do you know how to save it?
>>
>>2885544
Well first off FUCKING RESIZE YOUR PHOTO, two, depends on how much time you spend shooting, editing, print or digital. Take all those hours and give yourself a modest $16 an hour.
>>
>friend of a friend asks if I can shoot some of his products
>end up around 30ish photos
>asked for X amount for it all
>he says no and pays me double that amount

Since it was your first time, OP, don't charge too much. Since it's a friend of yours they might feel "pity" and pay you more and from the overall experience you can gauge an amount from what you should charge in the future.

Also, you can make a small collage of all the photos you took to make us all shit on you and estimate a price.
>>
>>2885544
First gig of mine was shooting a friend's sister's formal pre-drinks. Ended up delivering maybe 50 photos, charged his sister $75. 1 hour of my time shooting + 1 hour of my time editing (not really) = ~$38/hour.

Find a local professional and see what they'd charge, then charge a bit less.

Or more simply ask your boss what he would pay a photographer. You work in an entertainment venue, he would know
>>
>>2885544
300% of the cost of the print/frame. You're welcome.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.