[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/06/kod ak-is-bringing-back-the-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Kodak 8mm.jpg (38KB, 633x507px) Image search: [Google]
Kodak 8mm.jpg
38KB, 633x507px
http://petapixel.com/2016/01/06/kodak-is-bringing-back-the-super-8-as-a-film-camera-with-digital-features/

The camera is estimated to be $400-$750.

50ft of film, with developing and digital scanning included, is estimated to be $50-$75.

So, shooting at 18fps, you get 3m20s of footage, and you have to wait however many days for Kodak to process and scan the film to get your results, and it costs you $50-$75, for EVERY 3m20s??!?

Let's think about that for a moment. We'll assume the bottom of the estimate, $50 for 3m20s of footage.

For an hour of footage, that comes to $900.

Who does Kodak think is going to buy this camera?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width633
Image Height507
>>
>>2883980
>january 6th
>>
>>2883980
rich ppl
>>
>>2883980
Hipsters

and boy will they buy this

8mm has always been super un-economical. This isn't a new thing, if you wanted to use the format these were always the costs involved.
>>
It's a meme concept, I mean sure it can shoot digital too but it really has no place considering that hipsters will probably prefer older 8mm cameras that are both cheaper and look vintage
>>
It's for film schools, since they are struggling to buy new super 8 cameras. I have friends at film school that shoot 8mm, that would be even more expensive when you consider the cost of people having to process the film manually too
>>
>>2883980
Rich kids who post #ishootfilm on Instagram, thinking they're elite artists for using analog mediums
Also, you can get cheap expired super 8 film at goodwill or on ebay, as well as developing it yourself
Don't understand why anybody would ever want to shoot super 8
It looks like shit
>>
>>2884127
you obviously don't get it, it's _supposed_ to be shit

duh
>>
>>2884164

Yes, but they will never call it "shit".

It's the magic and warmth and soul that is so wonderful about shooting on film. All in the compact, affordable format that is 8mm.

Honestly, I can't believe anyone would want to shoot on film anymore. It's clear that digital is here to stay. More and more stuff is shot on RED, and ARRI, and even DSLRs.

For the money Kodak wants for this camera, and the cost of film/processing, you could get some basic camera that shoots 1080p, and if you really want that "film magic", just apply a filter in post. Yeah, it's not quite the same, but close enough.

And I think there's no value to learning the old way of doing things. Since it's all going to digital anyway, might as well spend all your time learning THAT, instead of traipsing through the past...
>>
>>2883980
there's a sucker born every minute
>>
>still using film as your means of achieving hipster special snowflake nirvana

It's all about dem' shitty digital camcorders now mang.
>>
>>2883980
You guys are really cynical. There's a niche market for everything. I personally think this camera is really overpriced and that's a turn off. However shooting in super 8mm is something I enjoyed doing just to learn how to do it and to have some cool home movies for my kids down the road of my in my 20's now. It's called a fucking hobby kind of like your pretentious photos you post on here.

I also shoot film because I enjoy it. I like the nostalgic low quality that it provides I also use my dead fathers shitty canon AE-1 I'M SO FUCKING HIP

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I understand the use of (and mostly use) film for stills

outside of specific artistic uses (ie changing formats a-la Grand Budapest) I can't see the point in doing it here. If you want the original experience you can pick up used and working super 8s and BW reels and process them by hand

I mean the physical experience of using film is the big part where the technically lacking cameras come in, no? People aren't shooting street on old folders for high image quality (unless it's a bessa).

it's even worse than the instax cameras
>>
>>2884054
>film school
>8mm

I mean what kind of shitty film school doesn't let you shoot at least 16mm

8mm is literally worse than using your cellphone to make a movie
>>
Pointless. Super 8mm is potato quality.
>>
File: VHS-CAMCORDER.jpg (257KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
VHS-CAMCORDER.jpg
257KB, 1280x720px
>>2884493
>we need to go retro-er
>>2885607
you underestimate old folders or had some bad experiences with them :c
>>
>>2885606
I mean sure there's a niche market but honestly I don't think it's big enough for this camera to make any profit
>>
>>2886096
You're probably right. I don't really buy the whole sharpness craze but I think it's fair to say that most old folders take quite soft images.

then again ppl hype the GW6_0 series and some of those lenses are surprisingly underwhelming so
>>
>>2884481
>And I think there's no value to learning the old way of doing things
Doing things the old way and shooting film is fun for novelty purposes. I learned how to develop film just to see what it's like, and it's kind of exciting to get to the finished product after all the work, but I do agree that there's little to no practical purpose of shooting on a shitty old analog camera that looked bad even for it's day, and I certainly wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a few minutes of 8mm footage.
>>
>>2886227
I use film because using a digital camera makes me feel empty and hollow inside, and they're piss boring to use.

And unlike people who don't have sex, I don't pixel peep and delude myself into thinking I need more than 16MP for anything I'm ever going to do.
>>
>>2883980
Because super 8 is fun!
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.