[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>David Gilkey, a photojournalist with National Public Rad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: BN-OI443_GILKEY_M_20160605180852.jpg (113KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
BN-OI443_GILKEY_M_20160605180852.jpg
113KB, 1280x853px
>David Gilkey, a photojournalist with National Public Radio, and his Afghan translator were killed in an ambush in southern Afghanistan on Sunday while traveling in an Afghan army convoy, according to the news organization.

RIP :(

http://www.wsj.com/articles/npr-photographer-david-gilkey-killed-in-afghanistan-1465165311
>>
>David covered war in Afghanistan and Iraq, the earthquake in Haiti and the Ebola epidemic in Liberia. He spent time with Syrian refugees in Toledo, Ohio, and captured the stories of schoolchildren in Kabul.
>>
>His work added the visual to an organization devoted to sound. David's images presented the atrocities of war, the destruction of nature — and most importantly, their impact upon people. His photographs and videos were haunting in their beauty and poignant in their nuance. Every person and every scene was captured with care, moving beyond the news to the personal struggle and perseverance of the people who lived it.
>>
>"It's not just reporting. It's not just taking pictures," he said about the work he did in Haiti. "It's, 'Do those visuals, do the stories, do they change somebody's mind enough to take action?'
>"So if we're doing our part, it gets people to do their part. Hopefully."
>>
>>2857417

looks like a nice fella. RIP.
>>
[F]
>>
>>2857426
Damn, that's a great quote. Rest in Peace, David.
>>
>>2857417
warzone, expectations, danger, etc...
>>
>go to afghanistan
>get blown up by the taliban

Am I supposed to be sad or surprised?
>>
sad... RIP

didn't know you nor your job, I will search for it now. It's sad I only knew his job after his death sunday...
>>
>>2858001
>>2858050
Guys I'm sure he knew it was in the job description, but surely that doesn't mean that we can't think "damn, that sucks"?
>>
heavy vignette
>>
>>2857417
and water is wet
>>
File: gilkey2-master1050.jpg (144KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
gilkey2-master1050.jpg
144KB, 1050x700px
Here's a NYT gallery of some of his pictures

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/06/06/world/david-gilkey-npr.html
>>
>>2858280
>centre AF point
>shooting wide open
Seems like "photographer for a radio service" was about right for him.
>>
Vignetting is ridiculous
>>
File: 1465233432352.jpg (265KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
1465233432352.jpg
265KB, 1300x866px
>>2858143
>>2858351
I know this is a pretty bad job but I did in about 5 minutes. I tried to remove the vignette on this one because it seemed like it was the worst here. How did I do?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1300
Image Height866
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution1 dpi
Vertical Resolution1 dpi
Image Created2016:06:07 16:37:47
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1300
Image Height866
>>
>>2858289
>shoot in the very last dredges of light in the evening
>not shooting wide open for every last bit of light
>not using the centre AF point for confident autofocusing
Do you even shoot?
>>
Why would anyone choose to go to these hellholes?? Honestly..

Here is some breaking news, the west is so desensitized to this shit we could not give less of a fuck about it (human suffering) if we tried

I imagine he probably thought his images were making some kind of differences (protip: they werent, maybe some old folks are weekend activists donated some money to a charity that uses the donations to pay their own wages)

OR he was just a thrill seeker and got off on the fact that he was documenting a spoiler/ WAR

I do not understand why you would put your life in danger for this shit, not only is it inherently dangerous you are automatically an enemy to both sides because you are foreign and fucking different from everyone else.

Good on him for trying I guess?

Has anyone seen the Nachtwey documentary? Obviously a fantastic Photographer who I imagine wants to make a difference in the world.... Then you see his shitty fucking apartment and shitty life, and what happens to his images? He prepares them with absolute care and thoughtfulness to only have them utilized in magazines with stories that no one cares about anymore and displayed in high caliber art galleries where a bunch of elderly fucking snobby cunts and failed artists in the art community who have not left the city and the highly critical shitty fucking art scene critique his images.

Its the most depressing shit I have ever seen, I cant imagine how depressing it must be for him to stand in thse galleries and watch the art community critique his composition.
>>
>>2858061
Ignore the edgelords.
>>
>>2858398
They're not doing it for the art community. They're doing it for themselves.
>>
>>2858289
>he made a living doing what he loved but I can't even take decent photos with muh custom manual settings

Stay mad senpai
>>
>>2858289
Set focus punch the AF lock button - snap.

Ain't no dancing with damned CPU logic - I'M TAKING COMMAND
>>
>>2858289
Guess why he was shooting in Afghanistan while you're teasing your asshole with a dragon dildo in a basement?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.