[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /p/, first time poster here. I only know the bare basics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: road_to_north_korea_32.jpg (563KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
road_to_north_korea_32.jpg
563KB, 1280x850px
Hey /p/, first time poster here. I only know the bare basics of photography, so forgive me if I'm spouting terms I know nothing about, but I was wondering if there's a name for the style in pic related (lots of blue/green, "vintage" lo-fi quality, some sepia tones (I guess?)). I see it a lot in Asian urban/landscape photography and I love it. Is it all done in post or is there a way to capture that "feel" with just a specific lens?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D300S
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)36 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:01:24 23:03:45
Exposure Time1/3200 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length24.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film shoot film
>>
>>2772515
i don't know a name for it but different films have different tones, so you could possibly check out this list of films with examples for each

http://curatingcuteness.com/2013/05/35mm-film-guide/

and then look that up

it has virtually nothing to do with the lens and more to do with the film or the post-processing done to the digital photo
>>
>>2772535
but I'm a photography pleb, I like my shitty D5000 (not to mention the fact that the OP pic was taken with a D300 of all things)
>>
>>2772548

V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O V S C O
>>
>>2772546
Cool, thanks! I'm tempted to just stick with digital because I'm fully aware that I don't have the skill right now to be confident that a scene will turn out the way I want, but the descriptions in that link definitely help with putting my lack of knowledge into words
>>
>>2772554
All that turns up when I Google VSCO is an iPhone app, what are you trying to tell me lol
>>
>>2772560
It's a decent filter set that fools plebs easily.

Honestly shoot film, it's much easier, way more rewarding than you realize.

A good film camera and tons of cassettes (35mm is full frame with 25 mega pickles, and most importantly with slide film more dynamic range than anything out there) is cheaper than a good camera ( Pentax k-3 II, Canon 5d II, Fuji x-t1 ).

I shoot both but I love film so much more.
Film is truly art form. It's used for so many movies and professional instances, I can literally tell at an instance now ( recent star wars was all film ).
>>
>>2772572
I meant 35mm is 25 MP equivalent, and it's full frame by definition.

The only bitch is digitization, but there's plenty of good options.
>>
>>2772556
This is a sensible plan. I shot about 15,000 pics in my first year being serious about photography. I'm shooting film now but there's no way I could have improved at the speed I did if I was shooting film back then. It would have cost way too much.
>>
>not Sony
Give up
>>
>>2772597
Found the shitter using deprecated sensor tech
>>
>>2772548
>>2772560
VSCO will work the same way but part of it is PP.
Don't be scared of using film if you already know how to user a shutter speed dial and judge exposure.

C41 (mostly colour) film has a lot of latitude and is actually more forgiving than you may think.
>>
>>2772605
Color neg is obscenely forgiving (bar Ektar). Accidentally shot a roll of Ultramax 400 at 100 because I forgot to change the ISO for my meter. Came out just fine, really smooth tones.

No way you could consistently overexpose by 2 stops on digital and expect it to come out well
>>
>>2772612
I'm pretty sure digital can withstand 7 stops overexposure.
>>
File: IT-JUST-WORKS.jpg (1MB, 2048x1374px) Image search: [Google]
IT-JUST-WORKS.jpg
1MB, 2048x1374px
>>2772795
>I'm pretty sure digital can withstand 7 stops overexposure

Not really. DR on sensors is more suited towards shadows. Overexposing highlights in digital leads to clipping usually. Film has a lot more latitude for overexposing highlights.
This was a super quick test. When I used Aperture instead of shutter speed to Over/Underexpose, the result of highlight clipping was much worse.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016-02-20T02:13:08
FlashNo Flash Function
Image Width2048
Image Height1374
>>
>>2773327
Digital sensors lose a huge amount of shadow latitude when they are underexposed compared to when you overexpose. You can bring back overexposed areas a lot while retaining shadows by exposing to the right. When something is underexposed, most of the data is simply lost; replaced by noise. However, overexposing retains much more data, giving you much more latitude when editing, along with better noise in the shadows because of how digital sensors work.

Familiarize yourself with ETTR.
http://luminous-landscape.com/optimizing-exposure/

That anon is, of course, completely wrong. On my camera, my default exposure compensation is usually just below or at +1, unless I'm watching the histogram, in which case I could compensate up to +2.

I would go so far as to say that most photographers underexpose their RAWs and lose the ultimate possible picture quality by leaving exposure compensation at 0.
>>
>>2773423
>Familiarize yourself with ETTR.
>http://luminous-landscape.com/optimizing-exposure/
I'm already familiar with it. Thanks for nothing I guess.
>That anon is, of course, completely wrong.
No shit. You can't just overexpose 7 stops and expect a digital sensor to not clip highlights.
>Digital sensors lose a huge amount of shadow latitude when they are underexposed compared to when you overexpose.
This is highly situational and most times there is more details in the shadows than in the highlights. Not every scene is suited for ETTR/EFTS. Noise in the the shadows/black is preferable to lost data in the highlights though.

At the same time, It can also be better to underexpose digital at a lower ISO/Sensitivity and push than to increase the gain of the sensor. Use common sense when under/overexposing.

TL;DR:
Expose your images properly when you can with digital and lose a headache, Pull > push in tough situations and don't over-expose.
>>
>>2773327
Fuck off jojo faggot.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.