[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about going full on monochrome... do any of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I'm thinking about going full on monochrome... do any of you shoot only in BW?
>>
I mostly do now. But don't be too strict on it. Shoot RAW. keep the default as b&w but when you're in Lr, always give colour a go too. Some of my shots are better in colour than b&w and vice versa. You don't have to make the colours pictures your mains but its always nice to keep a colour copy on the side.
>>
>>2721893

if I could, I would for professional work. for personal, it's only BW. ilford 400 represeeeent.
>>
I do, both for my own and for work. But I've been thinking on getting back on taking color portraits. Occasionally I still buy some reversal color film.
>>
File: 517816ac1dbeaphoto_high_8803.jpg (154KB, 1137x1500px) Image search: [Google]
517816ac1dbeaphoto_high_8803.jpg
154KB, 1137x1500px
I'm gonna do a year of full BW to experiment.

You probably have heard of Daido Moriyama, but in case you haven't check him out.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2691
Image Height3550
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2013:04:24 13:14:14
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2691
Image Height3550
>>
>>2721893

The last 50 or so rolls i've shot have been tri-x. Shoot enough in black and white and you start to see in black and white.
>>
Was pretty burned out on photo a few months ago and switched my camera to high contrast bw mode. Been shooting in that mode almost exclusively and loving it.
>>
>>2721893
There is a time and place for both b&w and color. Shooting 100% either way is a mistake, IMO.
>>
>>2721893
Carry an 80's SLR constantly loaded with B&W of your choice and a DSLR for colour. If size is an issue just grab a QL17Giii for the B&W, but I use an FM2n with a 50/1.4 and barely notice the extra weight/size in my bag.
>>
>>2721893
>Does monochrome improve this shot?
No. phony ww2 pic. monochrome doesn't matter.
>>
>>2721893
I shoot RAW but my camera displays monochrome so it's easier to see shapes and lines. On import into lightroom all photos are converted into monochrome, and I keep 99% of them that way.

I do mostly city scenes with a wide angle lens, which is suited to monochrome.

Film is a different story. The dynamic range and tones of Ektar and Porta keep me coming back
>>
>>2722004
agreed, I have a AE1P with B&W loaded all the time and my T3i for color work. lots of fun in ether format.
>>
Serious question:
Am I the only one who'd love to go full BW but can't because he thinks that he'll most likely miss out some great shots that'd look better in color? I always get the urge to photograph in color to preserve the moment and the colors that come with it.
Do you (digifags) usually keep two versions of your images (color and BW)?
>>
>>2726521
>Do you (digifags) usually keep two versions of your images (color and BW)?
Nope, coming from a film background I have no desire to have both possible versions. If I feel a shot really calls for color I can quickly switch shooting modes in camera. If I'm walking around with the intent of shooting black and white I will rarely switch to color though.

Even when I'm shooting MF and have two film backs with me, one color one bw, I will rarely switch from the one that is already attached to my camera.

I like the act of shooting to be as simple as possible where all I need to worry about is composition, focus, and exposure.
>>
>>2726583

I do the same with MF backs.
>>
I shoot only b&w and only own film cameras. I develop and scan at home and b&w is easier and cheaper to do. I roll my own film canisters as well.

You learn to take much less pictures, since something that is visually pleasing due to color gets lost in b&w unless there is clear contrast.

Never shoot on overcast days, those make terrible pics.

Photos of ppl in black and white are generally better.

Experiment with developing times and methods along with different kinds of film.

It is so much fun, I don't see myself doing color or digital. (only a srs hobbyist though).
>>
>>2721893
I shoot primarily black and white in 35mm.
I just love the versatility of a B&W negative.
If colour slides weren't so expensive and the choice so poor, I'd probably shoot more of those though.

>>2726657
Carry a red filter at all times niqqa.

But the point you're making is a real one; shooting B&W only will make you appreciate light and contrast a lot more.
>>
good thread. bump
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.