[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know where I can get vintage-style mountaineering gear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: Edmund Hillary on Everest.jpg (748KB, 5067x3483px) Image search: [Google]
Edmund Hillary on Everest.jpg
748KB, 5067x3483px
Anyone know where I can get vintage-style mountaineering gear?

I want to get into mountaineering, but I'm also autistic as fuck and I prefer stuff like wool and leather to modern synthetics and stuff. Also because I absolutely cannot fucking stand the flashy colors and logos that virtually every sportswear company on the planet uses today. It just screams "LOOK AT ME I'M ATHLETIC."
>>
You could probably go halfway up everest and just take the clothes off of the mummies and have a decent set of gear
>>
>>999191
>It just screams "LOOK AT ME I'M ATHLETIC."
so you'd rather scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A PRETENTIOUS HIPSTER TRYHARD"?
>>
>>999199
Not OP but wool and leather are so much nicer than some weird plastic shit
>>
>>999191
>prefer stuff like wool and leather to modern synthetics and stuff
lol. aside from what may be leather tabs on their pack straps (could also be plastic not sure) all their shit is synthetic.
>>
>>999198
Literally not a bad idea.

>>999201
This is true.
>>
>>999191
> It just screams "LOOK AT ME I'M ATHLETIC."

Bro, you don't have the maturity to be anywhere in the mountains. Have fun breaking 42 bones falling on your hemp rope.
>>
>>999234
>falling
no one takes falls in the mountains nergin
they use ropes for access issues
>>
File: 1458276736997.gif (2MB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
1458276736997.gif
2MB, 300x315px
>>999239
>no one takes falls in the mountains
>mfw
not like sport climbers take falls, no. but when the risk of falling is there ropes are used to lessen the chance of death resulting from one.
>>
>>999191
>I want to get into mountaineering
neat
>but I'm also autistic as fuck and I prefer stuff like wool and leather to modern synthetics and stuff.
Yeah, that's pretty autistic. You're intentionally wearing heavier / bulkier clothing that does not breathe for... fashion? Adherence to being oldschool miserable? Do you also wear leather moccasins instead of shoes?
>Also because I absolutely cannot fucking stand the flashy colors
Get a load of this faggot 2cool for high visibility in inherently risky areas / activities. The bright colors help you stand out against all the snow.
>"LOOK AT ME I'M ATHLETIC."
Wearing grandpa's athletic gear screams "LOOK AT ME I'M AUTISTIC"

>>999201
Until you're soaking wet under layers of non-breathable leather and then stop at camp and end up fucking freezing because you're now soaked and cold at high altitude.
>>
You can get real old time wool shit at www.filson.com
warning:$$$$$$$
>>
>>999253

>getting wet in extremely high altitudes
You dumb?
Also, the wetter wool becomes, the more heat it is able to hold

Man made materials arent as efficient as the real thing. Never have been, never will be.
>>
I'm not into mountaineering, but I also hate the flashy colors that seem to permeate all modern outdoor gear.

I only buy stuff in neutral/natural colors, even if it's more expensive that its fabulous counterpart.
>>
>>999198
Turn this into a business
>>
>>999256
You walk uphill when mountaineering. You sweat. When you wear wool and leather you cannot release this moisture, so you get soaked under the layers. This is one of the great advantages of those evil synthetic materials.

But fuck it if you wanna sweat your ass off like a retard wearing obsolete clothing, be my guest. There's a reason why no one does first ascents of anything difficult wearing fucking wool or leather.
>>
>>999191
>>>/fa/
>>
>I'm also autistic as fuck

sure seems like it
>>
At least they'll be able to find your body if you wear bright flashy colors.
>>
>>999191
They sure we're aesthetic and tough guys but fuck me if you aren't a damn retard to want to look like they did.

>/out/
Nevermind
>>
>>999256
>the wetter wool becomes, the more heat it is able to hold
Not him, but wtf. It'll have more thermal mass when wet sure, but water will degrade the insulating properties of it severely.

>Man made materials arent as efficient as the real thing. Never have been, never will be.
You are retarded.
>>
>>999191
>asks about wool
>posts photo showing synthetics

yep you are autistic.

>>999256
>Also, the wetter wool becomes, the more heat it is able to hold

Just no. it'll retain MORE heat than cotton, but is about comparable to a modern fleece- apart form a modern fleece (pile for example) WON'T be saturated and will dry extremely quickly unlike wool.
>>
>>999350
>posts photo showing synthetics

Rayon is a semi-synthetic fiber, because it is almost pure cellulose. He's wearing a Rayon Down-filled Jacket.

>fleece

Fleece is wool.
>>
>>999201
Nowadays a lot of the high end Alpine gear is merino wool, otter or beaver fur, etc. Earth tones are also the most popular now. Some gear will have the option of bright colours but that's because it's a neccessity for visibility/safety.
No one is using the hard shell plastic nonsense anymore.
>>
>>999261
Used to do this also, but now that I'm older I want them to be able to find my dead corpse after I fall off a ledge and crack my skull. Mom would want to have a funeral and they'll get my life insurance quicker.

However, neutral colors are much more ascethically pleasing. Whenever I find some new gear it has to be a conscious choice to look for a bright color.
>>
OP here. I don't understand why everyone on this board/website feels the need to get so pissed off when they find out that someone takes aesthetics into account when choosing a piece of gear.

High-quality merino wool and furs are just as good as synthetics in their purpose. The only reason synthetics are popular as fuck is because if you want comparable performance to cheap synthetics, you're going to have to pay out the ass. I don't care about this because I have plenty of disposable income.

I also never said that I was completely opposed to synthetics, I said I don't like modern synthetics because it seems like everything they sell has 50,000 zippers everywhere, giant retarded logos, and bright neon orange and turquoise stripes and shit. It's ugly as fuck, sorry, and I will never wear one of them.

Mountaineering might be new to me, but cold conditions aren't. I've done plenty of hunting in Alaska with wool sweaters. No, I didn't freeze to death in them after sweating, and no, I wasn't at risk of dying and never being found because of the neutral earth tones.

Also, stop saying "durrrr the synthetics will help them find your body when you die." I don't give a shit if they find my body if I die. In fact, I'd prefer they didn't. Why would I want my body to be found? So they can cart me back to civilization where they'll pump my veins full of sawdust before interring me in a stainless steel tank that will assure that my body never gets the natural death and decomposition that it deserves? No thanks, most jurisdictions won't even allow natural burials in wooden caskets anymore because the (((morticians))) gotta get their checks.

So far this guy:
>>999254
is the only one that has answered my question. I'm not at all interested in anyone's opinion as to whether or not it's stupid to want mountaineering clothing that looks good as opposed to be marginally more practical. I'm just asking if anyone knows places to get this kind of stuff at.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>999390
> I'm not at all interested in anyone's opinion as to whether or not it's stupid

Well, bye then.
>>
A lot of consumer quality gear has lots of superfluous tabs and zippers.
You don't know enough to buy quality gear that fits your needs. Go back packing more. Go rock climbing more. You will learn.
>>
>>999201
you do realize that those puffy jackets are probably made with natural goose down with the highest warmth to weight ratio of any commercially available insulation?
>>
>>999431
With little baby plastic on the outside of it that tears with the smallest twig
>>
>>999317
underrated post
>>
>>999436
Not true at all. Goretex is pretty fucking durable. Not as durable as leather, but nothing in nature apart from a predator will slice through goretex "easily."
>>
>>999363
t. never been mountaineering. You don't see anyone wearing anything other than synthetics for a reason.
>>
File: Beta-AR-Jacket-Nautic-Grey.jpg (324KB, 1350x1710px) Image search: [Google]
Beta-AR-Jacket-Nautic-Grey.jpg
324KB, 1350x1710px
>>999390
>I don't understand why everyone on this board/website feels the need to get so pissed off when they find out that someone takes aesthetics into account when choosing a piece of gear.
It's mostly because the reasons you give are incorrect, such as
>High-quality merino wool and furs are just as good as synthetics in their purpose.
Synthetic shells are unbeatable because they are waterproof, lightweight, and breathable. Leather is waterproof, heavy, and non-breathable. Merino wool is a great base layer, and a good midlayer, but a poor outer layer. While wool does not swell like cotton with moisture, and while it does wick well like synthetics, it is not waterproof. You want a good outer layer to be waterproof, or at least water resistant. You'll never see someone mountaineering in a wool outer shell, but you'll absolutely see people wearing wool base and midlayers (myself included, wool's only drawback compared to synthetic baselayers is price).
> I don't like modern synthetics because it seems like everything they sell has 50,000 zippers everywhere, giant retarded logos, and bright neon orange and turquoise stripes and shit

Outdoor research, Arc'Teryx, Black Diamond, and summit-series Northface gear all come in normal colors (as well as high viz flashy colors, but again-- you have a choice.) You'll pay about $300-$500 for a good hardshell outer layer, but you'd pay about the same for a wool/leather jacket.

The rest of your post is just autistic screeching so I'll just leave it at that.
>>
>>999390
Why the fuck is this board plagued by ignorant retards who can't bother to use google, and when confronted about their ridiculous beliefs and stupid questions, behave as if they're being attacked. You are objectively fucking wrong, and I hope you fucking die on a mountain, either soaked in sweat or with your back broken from non-elastic ropes and a "vintage" harness. Fucking mong.
>>
>>999484
Where did I ever say I wanted to use non-elastic ropes and vintage harnesses? Also, natural ropes can be just as elastic as synthetics. I would never use natural rope for climbing purposes, but you don't know jack shit about sailing I'm guessing, and in sailing, hemp rope is probably among the best there is. Nylon is better for anchor rope and polyester braid for mooring lines, but on all of my running rigging I only use hemp. I'm not behaving as if I'm being attacked, I'm just pointing out that the retardation of people on here who think that absolutely everything that isn't some molded piece of plastic is complete shit is ridiculous. People climbed mountains and took on the tundra long before synthetics were invented.

I realize synthetics have their place, and I'll use them for that. But if you actually read my OP, you would see that I didn't say I want absolutely no synthetics. They're useful for down jackets, and hard rain shells. But for base layers, there's absolutely no reason that you can't use wool.

I've hunted big game all across Alaska, from the tundra to Cascadia. I know what it's like to hike and climb in wool garments, and I never froze to death because of it. So I really don't give a shit what your opinion on wool for non-rain repellent gear is: I have used it, and your bullshit anecdotes about your sweat killing you or something is just that, bullshit.

Go wear plastic underwear if you want, I really don't care. I just came here to ask if anyone knows a company that makes wool mountaineering clothing.
>>
>>999495
>I just came here to ask if anyone knows a company that makes wool mountaineering clothing.
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=wool+mountaineering+clothing
>>
Sir Edmund Hillary ,, Isnt that the guy that Hillary Clinton says she was named after but who did not become famous until after her birth?
>>
>mfw synthetic leather, synthetic canvas, synthetic down

The new vintage look.
>>
>>999514
Synthetic down is pretty nice actually, dries much quicker. Unless you're in arctic conditions it's good enough.

but I see what you're doin
>>
>>999362
that's a very good point
>>999390
>reddit spacing
you have to go back
>>999363
beaver fur is based
>>
>>999511
Probably. Although he wasn't entirely unknown, he got famous on 29 May 1953 when he became the first man to summit Everest.

The team trained for the trip on Snowdon (most specifically the PYG track) in North Wales just a few miles from where I live.

I actually met one of his team whilst out on the Snowdon range about 12 years ago - and strangely enough given the subject of this thread the guy was wearing tweed and had a canvas and leather day pack.

Top bloke too - very humble.
>>
>>999535
>reddit
FUCKING
>spacing

please, no
not in this board
>>
File: merrypip.jpg (144KB, 750x793px) Image search: [Google]
merrypip.jpg
144KB, 750x793px
>>999191
>I want to get into larping, because I'm autistic as fuck and I prefer stuff like wool and leather to modern synthetics and stuff.
ftfy
>>
>>1000303
What does that even mean you god damn sperg
>>
>>999480
>Outdoor research, Arc'Teryx, Black Diamond, and summit-series Northface gear all come in normal colors

THIS
>>
>>999362
>fleece is wool

u wat m8
>>
>>1000363
I'm not interested in the opinions of retards who think that basic formatting is "reddit".
>>
>>1000320
Let's be real tho, hobbits have a good look going on.
>>
>>999362
>Fleece is wool.
No, felt is wool. Fleece is polyester.
>>
>>1000623
Oh I thought you were calling someone's post Reddit spacing which is why I called you a sperg but you were calling someone out doing it.

My apologies.
>>
>>999390
>why won't anyone answer my retarded question filled with falsehoods and shitty opinions that based solely on emotional reasons!
>>
>>999484
This. Too many people on this board say, ask and do retarded things that could easily be found, fixed or avoided with an ounce of thought. It's how they all act like the victim when people disagree with them and call them out thats the annoying part.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.