[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /out/ think of Bear Grylls? I really enjoyed Man vs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: bear-1.png (359KB, 651x373px) Image search: [Google]
bear-1.png
359KB, 651x373px
What does /out/ think of Bear Grylls?
I really enjoyed Man vs. Wild as a young lad. Who else did?
>>
I love that show. You just have to understand not to do what he does, because it's really just him bragging about being a sas commando
>>
File: Ray Mears.jpg (73KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Ray Mears.jpg
73KB, 615x409px
>>998664
Reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Never been a big fan of Bear Grylls. He just comes off as the Gordon Ramsay of /out/; over the top and obnoxious. Good for a laugh, but gets stale pretty quickly. I've always been a bigger fan of this chubby Britbong when it comes to outdoors/survival shows.
>>
Who doesn't enjoy a good old ficticious adventure every once in a while?
>>
Its a show with staged situations and he is just an actor. He doesn't even sleep outside while filming.

Even the argument that its informational for outdoor-interested people altough the situations and events in the show aren't authentic is not true in my opinion. He often takes highly risky actions like climbing down a canyon with selfmade rope when in a real survival situation you should minimize your risk of getting injured.
Having said that its still entertaining if you don't take it too serious. He probably also knows quite good what he does outdoors but he sells himself. In the last episode i saw he was somewhere in south-east europe with some NFL-player. It was sooo staged and pathetic to watch.
>>
>>998669
muh ray mears. muh survivorman
the fact that it's staged doesn't make it a bad program. its fucking tv. of course it's staged. still s/k/out as fuck
>>
>>998666
Seconded devil trips
>>
>>998664

As a Scout in the UK, (hes our Chief Scout) I think we should have a new on with better role model qualities. Don't get me wrong, he is highly skilled and has many leadership qualities, however everything to do with him is money. He won't turn up to any Scouting event without getting paid. I once went to an awards day in London for some high up stuffs, and they said he couldn't come because they couldn't afford him. Peronsally I would appreciate a man who turned up to events more for his good will, not money.

His equipment range may be top quality, but there are many compainies that make the same quality equipment but for lower prices.

He is just too commercial, Ray Mears is a much better representation of going /out/.
>>
>>998696
Thanks for that 'insider'-info man!
This attitude explains why he plays along with every stupid idea the producers have.
>>
>>998664
he drinks piss. watch your piss around the man. he will drink it straight from the tap!
>>
>>998838
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VH8tFDd7g
he is like a fucking reindeer.
>>
File: Better_f4e8e5_2381831.jpg (87KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
Better_f4e8e5_2381831.jpg
87KB, 600x608px
>>998664
>>
>>998664
He is a fucking idiot
>>
>>998664
Survivor man is far better than Man vs. Wild.
Les Stroud is a good guy, actually goes out all alone as opposed to pretending. He actually does the stuff. Put it this way, when he lands in wherever he is, he does the job of an entire film team as well as surviving. The first episodes were the best. Bear just does stupid shit like drink his own piss and repel down mountains, things that if lost, would be the last resort. Les is more practical and informative. Plus he's Canadian
>/Oot/
>>
Did his survival instructor class, was fun but didnt give me any earth shattering knowlage I didnt have, did learn about the the triangle of death, but little else
>>
>>999663
>Survivor man is far better than Man vs. Wild.

Agree.
Man vs. Wild is entertainment.
Survivor man delivers useful knowledge.

I enjoy watching both, but Les Stroud is the better one.
>>
>>999663
Seconding this to a degree. When he was younger, he did everything himself. As time went on, he started getting help on some of his more difficult shoots and adding some setups to his more boring ones.

However, even with that said, he still kept things more authentic than Grylls ever did.

In an of way, I'm also a fan of Dual Survival. At face value, it seems to fall just short of Man v. Wild gimmickry, but to me it does have some meat.

They show the two dominant attitudes towards survival; tough, stubborn, high speed and high energy asnd slower, more passive, low energy.

They illustrate that there is more than one way of doing things, each has their pros and con's. I like that.
>>
>>999663
This
>>
>>998664
mixed feelings

he certainly got a lot of people into the outdoors, but that lead to a lot of commercialization

some people say he's a phony, but I don't think so
there are just inherent requirements with filming, sometimes license or access issues, sometimes you just couldn't get good footage
he films near a road, who cares
David atenborough probably did the same, who is going to say "this monkey is too close to a road let's not film it"

he sells a lot of shit, nobody likes that
but the outdoors stuff he sells isn't junk; it's just overpriced

I think people are foolish to critisize him for filming set-ups
that would be like lambasting your math teacher for using hypothetical questions.
"you're a fake sir, there is no woman called sally who wants to buy 6 oranges and only has 4 dollars"

bragging about being in the SAS is basically half of being in the SAS, a lot of those guys are allowed to make leaks, publish books and be jack-asses because it helps enlistment
I have no doubt the army drops cash into his bank account every time he uses the word "SAS"
it's the same in america with marines and SF in general
>>
>>1000369
This is a good post, although Sir David Attenborough is esteemed for his narration and contribution to natural life, not off-grid survival, his proximity to a road is irrelevant. Grylls onitially tried to pass his show off as him actually surviving, it wasn't the staging, it was the attempt to cover it up. Having said that, he does teach usuable survival skills and promotes and is overall a force for good in the /out/doors. I don't even mind him marking up gear with his initials on it, there's nothing wrong with capitalising on your name, it got Trump to the White House.
Les Stroud is still better though
>>
>>998664
I watched his show all the time with my friends in high school. It was pretty entertaining, people get too hung up on behind the scenes other than enjoying the content.
>I know he probably didnt just eat what he found and caught, but the man drank his own piss and ate from animal shit.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.