[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody here have experience in the Glen Canyon National Recreation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Coyote Gulch.jpg (521KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote Gulch.jpg
521KB, 1600x1067px
Anybody here have experience in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area? NPS denied my backcountry permit for King's Canyon and my backup has been Coyote Gulch. I've never been to Utah but I'm pretty experienced outdoors, if my buddy can't make it would it be a dumb idea for me to go alone? I'm in good shape, 21 years old. I know not to underestimate the desert.
>>
>>998410
Why'd they deny your permit?
>>
>>999130
They only have 1 party permits available for Rae Lakes Loop
>>
Bump

Really looking for any suggestions for a nice 3-6 day backpacking trail within a 15-20 hour drive from Southern California.
>>
Consider Salt Creek in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. It's got arches and Indian ruins/pictograms and a steady water supply. Or Grand Gulch in the new Bears Ears Monument. I've been to Utah 40 times or so and mostly by myself, so you should have no problems--just don't do anything stupid. Give a holler over to the folks at bogley.com--lots of Utah enthusiasts there and they re really nice about helping folks out. You might have to arrange for a shuttle--bogley folks are good for that. There are other trails in the Needles district that you could string together for several days and not have to worry about a shuttle (Chesler Park). Wherever you go, you are in for an adventure--southern Utah is one of the most amazing places on Earth.
>>
>>1000376
I'm back again OP. Don't know what your vehicle situation is, but the Maze District in Canyonlands would be another possibility for you. But it's about 80 miles on dirt road to get there, and you have to bring your own portable toilet--there is a ranger station there that will check it. BUt there are plenty of loop hikes for you there. And this is about as remote a country as there is in the lower 48. Sadly, I have never been there myself. You will have to drive through northeastern section of GCNRA to get to it. But you're young--you might want to try something less demanding on both your vehicle and you for your first trip--cause I'm sure once you wet your beak, you will be back to Utah more than a few times in your life. One more thing about bogley.com--go to the Trip Reports section. People post short reports with photos about there journeys. Really great for a novice.
>>
>>1000384
I'm familiar with both insofar as I've read a lot of Abbey and Craig Childs. I'd love to check out the Maze District but it's so isolated and I've never been to Utah, so that'll be later on for sure. What are water prospects like in June?
>>
>>1000384
I checked out Salt Creek a little bit and to be completely honest, this looks like it may be a winner. I'll check out bogley and see if I can arrange a shuttle. Appreciate your help man.
>>
>>1000642
>What are water prospects like in June?
Not sure in Maze as I've never been there, but I agree that you should save it for a later trip. Salt Creek should have water year round. Should take you 3 days from up in forest near Cathedral Butte to paved road down in the park if you take your time. You could just turn around and head back if no shiuttle. Shuttle will cost you some $$$ as it's a long drive and a lot of dirt road. That dirt road along Bridger Jack Mesa out to Cathedral BUtte should be in good shape--been years since I've been on it but last time was in a Chrysler LeBaron and I had no problems. Like I said earlier, if no shuttle, you can easily string together a multi-day trip in the Needles themselves starting at ELephant Hill trailhead. Check Chesler Park, Flint Trail, Druid Arch, Molar Rock, Devil's Lane. But there will be no water here and not much in the way of archeological interest.
>>
>>1001284
I've got a 2wd 4runner, I can offroad a little bit, so I'll ask around about road conditions. I can't see me having that much of an issue unless the road is completely washed out.
>>
Pretty much got the answer I was looking for, but bump in case anybody else has some info.
>>
>>998410
I haven't done a ton of trails down south but I can say that what the anon above was posting about Needles is pretty spot on. It's gorgeous out there, and there's is plenty of room to explore. The Needles can be pretty desolate, especially if you're planning to go in June, it gets really hot down there.

Water is scare, I'd recommend having a camelbak with 70-100oz and then another waterbottle with 24oz. Another piece of gear you might think to include is a HAM radio, a little baofeng with an extended antennae would work fine. There's a TON of jeep crawlers out there that have HAM on their rigs, so just in case you find yourself in trouble you've got a least one way of communicating over long distance.
>>
>>1002802
It *can* get desolate, but if you're out on a weekend you will likely see others out there, sometimes quite a few at the big scenic places. Elephant Hill is a fun little hike that can get you into some cool places.
>>
Ever seen that movie 48 hours or some shit? Yeah don't go alone.
>>
>>1002802
Appreciate it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.