[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So after enjoying neetdom for a couple years I got offered an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: fseprd536615.jpg (3MB, 1800x1215px) Image search: [Google]
fseprd536615.jpg
3MB, 1800x1215px
So after enjoying neetdom for a couple years I got offered an /out/ related job. Some company contacted me today to see if I was interested in doing forest maintenance work, which I am.

It means leaving my parents house and move to a different part of the country but the company will provide housing, likely shared with many other workers.

I'm kinda hyped and I will drive there by myself but I don't know what to expect and what to bring with me.

I will probably take my bike and definitely /out/ gear since I will be free during the weekends so I will get to explore the place.

Anyway, what should I pack in regards of the job itself? Anyone has any experience doing this?

Thanks.
>>
>>998262
https://youtu.be/Kr4SwxniDVE
>>
>>998262
Only bring what you can fit in one bag. Nobody likes people that are slow to pack up their stuff and nobody likes people with too much stuff.

So you'll basically have only camping gear and a few sets of clothes.

It's a good job, but make sure you are strong enough for the job. Your muscles can catch up, but how good are your joints? You're a neet so, do you believe you have the mentality for this? Not doubting you at all bro.
>>
>>998274
Just to clarify I'm not from the US and I live in a rather small country.
I don't really think I will be working and carry all my gear with me, clothes and that stuff may stay at the housing place, other stuff I can leave in my car.

I'm asking more about what type of gear is essential for that type of job. Leather boots? Helmet? Gloves? Multitool? That kind of stuff.

> Your muscles can catch up, but how good are your joints? You're a neet so, do you believe you have the mentality for this?
I'm a NEET but not /r9k/ tier or any of that shit, I played football all my youth, I also run a couple times a months. And I have done 200km+ hikes for the last two years. I'm not a big guy tho.
>>
>>998287
Some forestry jobs in the U.S. you pack all of your gear with you. Others, yes, you've got some sort of a base camp.

You'll just need to contact the people you intend to work for. A lot of forestry jobs will provide all of the gear you need and just take it from the paycheck later, but the gear isnt always as good compared to choosing your own stuff.

PPE gear is by law provided by company, so thats essentially all safety gear besides your boots.
>>
>>998291
Yeah I will talk with them Monday, I haven't even got the job yet, I'm just thinking ahead. kek. And maybe when I tell them by cellphone that I have not much experience they will just tell me sorry but that I don't need to drive 500km because I will not get the job.

Have you worked on that job before, anon? Any advice?
>>
>>998287
Assuming that they provide the axe/chainsaw, it would be a good idea to have steel toed boots, some pairs of wool or synthetic socks (Don't wear cotton while working because it collects the moisture and fucks up your feet, cotton is good for when you sleep though), a couple of good pants (jeans should do the tri
ck), and some tops... if i were you i'd bring a warm set of pijamas... They will probably provide you with a helmet and gloves because they are essential, but i'd get my own pair of gloves that i know fit me...other than that i'd get a good fixblade knife, a firesteel just in case and a canteen for my water...after all you go there for work not to survive in the woods (but the firesteel, a good knife and a canteen can you get a long way with proper skills if it's necessary)
>>
No advice, but just well done for just going for it especially from a neet. A refreshing change from shitposts, narcissistic whining over trivial shit about getting a gf, what career ect...
>>
>>998300
I travelled 2300 miles to fight forest fires one summer and I ended up doing it for years

But ive also looked into normal forestry work and I have a decent idea of what theyll expect. Nothing super hard, but youll want to have everything you need to maintain yourself. Dont be the idiot that holds back the group. Ultimately, theyll probably help you get everything you need. Just communicate with them. Communications is the most important part of jobs like that.
>>
>>998303
The place where the job offer is has a mild weather during the colder months and it's pretty hot during summer (40Âșc+) so I'm not very concerned about that, water would be a bigger issue.
As for the rest I'm already prepared, getting a bigger canteen it's probably a good idea though. I should have stated that I too am an /out/ist not just a neet. lel

>>998313
thanks mate but as I have said before, I haven't really got the job yet despite me really wanting it. But yeah, enough is enough and it's time to stop being a leach and do something useful with my life. If not this job anything else, I have applied to a couple fruit picking ones too.
>>
>>998315
>I travelled 2300 miles to fight forest fires one summer and I ended up doing it for years
that's pretty neat desu, my dad was a firefighter for years too. Our reality is not comparable to the US one, one of your lower 48 national parks
is probably bigger than all our entire "wilderness". To be fair there's not really wilderness here, just less developed and populated areas.

Also thanks a bunch for the advice, I will try myself to leave some of my neetdom habits out of the workplace. kek
>>
Not op but i'd like to get into that kind of work. Where would i start in the US and would i need any schooling for it or is it more of "if you can come out here and bust your ass then we pay you" kind of work?
>>
>>998386
Google "youth corps forestry"

If you're younger than 24 that will be all you need to see

If youre more of a man then learn how to use a chainsaw and other hand tools and how to climb with a harness and rope, practice yourself, watch youtube videos, take classes for certifications, get hired as a trainee for anything ranging from landscaper to foresty crew worker

It isnt as hard to get into as people think, you just need to have an actual passion for what you intend to do.
>>
>>998392
I'll be 24 this year, would i make enough money to support myself?
>>
>>998303
only a dumbass wears steel toes dont do this get durable light boots
>>
>>998413
Not really
>>
>>998262
>"forest maintenance"
>shared lodging

Lel you are doing the same work the slaves do that North Korea sends to Russia.
>>
>>998262
quality socks
>>
File: geeps_pl.jpg (19KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_pl.jpg
19KB, 550x550px
Don't forget your geeps plushie OP
>>
File: tubbies.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
tubbies.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>998262
Teletubbies are probs the most useful tool for innawoods related jobs. Make sure you pack at least 4 of 'em.
>>
>>998627
You're right, he should stay in his parents basement forever. GTFO
>>
>>998287
>stuff may stay at the housing place, other stuff I can leave in my car
locks for everything. You'll be working with people that are essentially migrants and will help themselves to anything lying around.
>>
>>998629
This ops. Also buy more socks then you think youll need.
>>
do me a favor and answer >>1000497 for me?
>>
>>1000501
>how hard is it to become a park warden? years, edjumications, auxiliary experience etc.

Very. 32,, BS or MA or PHD, yes

>can a contracted hourly "worker" get promoted to salary?

Gibberish question

>literally zero relevant infos on the lines

Yep
>>
>>1000522
contracted hourly worker was in relation to a job posting i found online in relation to park "wardening"
i guess a better way to phrase the question would be "is it possible for a seasonal park worker be hired on full time/year round?"
>>
I'd like to do something similar. I've done a bit of work like that already but the area I live in is fairly bad for it. Or.. Well. Not the kinda work I'd prefer doing. Just ended up trimming bushes on coastal paths 90% of the time. No real /out/ just glorified grass cutting. What are some cool out careers that I could try and work towards?
>>
Hey guys op here. So I called the company and I'm ok with the details, after talking with them seems like the work is mostly operating pic related and chainsaw. The contract is for 3 to 6 months. I will have an interview soon, wish me luck lads.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.