[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to climb denali this year? How do I prepare? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: url.jpg (8KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
8KB, 318x159px
I am going to climb denali this year?

How do I prepare?

What should I bring?

I paid a $7500 deposit to reserve my spot.
>>
>>997622
>I am going to climb denali this year?
yes. is good
>I paid a $7500 deposit to reserve my spot.
you got good one? close to top? is good.
>>
You have to pay to climb a mountain?
>>
>>997638
Yeah, seriously, wtf?!
And a shit-ton, at that
>>
>>997638
Registration fee for climbing the mountain is $365, probably due just in case the park has to rescue you.

Sounds like OP is going on a paid expedition if he's paying that much.
>>
>>997622
I hope this is a troll, because if it's not....

if you need to ask you're not ready.
Denali is a serious climb, physically and technically exhausting.
Did you recieve proper mountaineering training?
Avalanche search and rescue training?
How to build a snow cave?
What is your fitness level?

Denali is tough.
>>
>>997799
Unfortunately, I'm sure he's not as this seems to be the way this industry is going. Since the mid 90's you've been able to find "guides", for lack of a better description, that will practically carry you up. Read "In Thin Air" to get a good idea as to how bad it is. In 2005 a helicopter was able to land on the top of Everest so it won't be long before you will be able to pay to fly up and say you've been to the top.
No offence OP but to seasoned climbers this is an insult. If you've never been in the DZ then it is impossible to tell you on /out/ how unprepared you really are.
>>
>>997799
>>997806
I'll post another thread later this summer after I get back!
>>
>>997622
If you paid for a guide I'm pretty sure they tell you exactly what you need to bring and what you should do to prepare.
>>
>>997806
>denali
>death zone
you know how i know you're an armchair mountaineer? (and a shitty one at that)
>>
If your net worth is above 1/16th of a penny don't ask for advice from /out/
>>
>>998323
So basically only people who are literally bankrupt post here?
>>
>>998337
It's more like if you have any amount of competancy at all then you're already vastly more qualified than the people here critiquing you
>>
>>998337
Pretty much. 99% of the gear recommended is borderline garbage.
>>
>>997622
If you've already put down $7500 for guided expedition they should tell you exactly what to bring--they might even be outfitting you. Each item in your pack is essentially a matter of life and death. A little chocolate is nice.

Prepare by training your ass off for endurance. Strengthen your legs. Google alpine training regimens. I'm assuming you've had some experience on steep snow/ice/glaciers but if you haven't, read about it. Efficient and deliberate movement is very important.
>>
Carry a Koran.
>>
Where do you live right now OP
are there any smaller mountains to train on?
>>
>>998538
I live in Canada. The nearest mountains are a 10 hour drive from here.
>>
>>997806
That helicopter you speak of made it under exceptional circumstances and was piloted by an exceptional man.

I really don't see this becoming the norm anytime soon.

Oh, they also removed the passenger seats to save weight.
>>
>>997622
Ask the company you're paying to. Also sort out with them what gear are they providing you and what kind of gear you're expecting to bring yourself.

training well is extremely important.
If you have the time and want to dramatically increase your chances, you should free up the 1-2 weeks prior to departing for the expedition and go do easier climbs in your vicinity. (assuming you have any kind of experience and it won't be too dangerous for you).
Getting some acclimatization going in advance will reduce the chances you're a slow acclimatizer and will not be able to keep pace with the group, I have seen quite a few people in guided groups fail summits because of this.

Frankly you need to post some kind of summery of your skills, past experience and fitness level (and the gear the company provides you + gear you have) for us to provide more advice.

I want to summit Daneli one day, but this summer it's some 7k's in central Asia.
Good luck.
>>
>>999295
people carrying lightweight drones are around the corner.

there will be a restaurant at the top before you know it.
>>
>>1001455
Thank fuck national parks have already banned the use of drones.
>>
>>1001390
What mountains are you doing this year?

Even 7k is massive.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.