[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for suggestions for first kayak purchase. Need one that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170419-105226.png (481KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170419-105226.png
481KB, 1080x1920px
Looking for suggestions for first kayak purchase. Need one that can handle flatwater paddling and can take some bumps against rocks, etc if I go on a river. Preferably one with some room for gear since doing a float/camping trip interests me a lot.

Would pic related be a good choice? Not familiar with brands/performance specs for kayaks. What sort of lengths should I be looking for? Any types to stay away from?
>>
Buying used is the best choice
>>
Do you need cargo? do you want speed or stability? There are way too many questions we need to ask you to find your ideal kayak.

I'll tell you what I know because i'm in the kayak rental business and have access to a ton of different models.

RTM makes good kayaks. Their Tango is what we use. I never need to really fix anything and they take a ton of abuse being dragged daily across sand for years.Not very tipsy and moderately fast. moderately heavy.

Xplor Californias are super light and very stable for their size but arent the fastest. i like the cargo capacity in the back for a big drybag or even a cooler. They are very easy to spin around so if you need a maneuverable kayak, this is a good one to look into.

Future Beach Freedoms are garbage. they are heavy and the moulding is not uniform but they are SOLID in open waters. In extreme chop against 15mph winds and speed boat wakes, they were stable and cut through the waves; albeit at 1mph or less. In no wind, they are decent speed. Plenty of cargo space both in back and inside the hatch. Did i mention how heavy it was?

For tandems we use RTM ocean Duos, Pro 2 Tandem, Xplor Bora Bora, and RTM quatros. The RTMs are too tipsy for my taste but allow excellent paddling from both occupants. The Pro 2s are lighter but i've not used them enough to review properly. The Bora Bora has everything going for it except the length for allowing 2 paddlers not to wack paddles constantly.

Hope some of this helps. Buy used, dont buy retail outlet models as they are almost always shit. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR <<<<< EMPHASIS ON THIS. DO NOT BUY CHEAP!
>>
>>996830
Thanks for the advice anon. I'll take a look at those ones you mentioned.

I would like decent maneuverability and speed, but it doesn't have to be the fastest in the universe. Space for cargo would be a major plus as well.

What are the best places to look for used? Craigslist? Or is there a paddle-specific site kinda like pinkbike for mtb?

Also, how annoying is it to transport without a roof rack? I have seen foam blocks being used but have never used them myself
>>
First visit local kayak shops with no cash on you and no way to accidentally a $4k kayak from jesus salesman. Bonus points if they have test kayaks and a form of water you can float around on. They can get a feel for what kind of hulls and lengths and features you may want for your kind of kayaking.

I have trucks and cargo vans and trailers so i cant help you with transport issues. I'm sure you can figure out how to attach something to something else without blowing up, if not i feel bad for any kids you pass those stupid genes onto.
>>
I got a 250$ Costco kayak. Came with a size-adjustable paddle, cargo space that is water tight, and a built in paddle holder.

For me it was the best deal, and a perfect fit for me. I've had it for 3 years, and use it about 10 times a year. Possibly going to rig it out to be a fishing yak.
>>
>>998491
>Bonus points if they have test kayaks and a form of water you can float around on.
>i feel bad for any kids you pass those stupid genes onto.
Your autism is too high on the spectrum scale.
Are you literally a retard as well? Please answer the question!
>>
File: 00L0L_1ttrXJGag7p_1200x900.jpg (380KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00L0L_1ttrXJGag7p_1200x900.jpg
380KB, 1200x900px
theres a guy on craigslist trying to sell this for 300.

worth it?
>>
>>998711
That shouldn't be your first kayak. Get a basic pelican for less than $200. I've seen them for $125 new in The South two months ago
>>
>>998711

Sit inside, as long as you are in still waters OR get those bib things that fit over top.

A brand new Xplor California costs me 300 and weighs 40lbs. Just spent 2 days on my kayak trip on them in less than 6 inches of water, still floating.
>>
The sit-on-top kayaks can work just fine and most are designed to be self draining. But you're gonna get a little wet no matter what kind of kayak you use, just the nature of the beast.
>>
check out current designs
pretty much the industry standard
https://www.cdkayak.com/Kayaks.aspx?id=36
>>
Any tips for a fishing kayak? There's a lake around here that has some good spots in the back. Getting there is pretty stumpy, stumps lurking inches underwater and once back there you can find down to 6" shallows where you pretty much land your hook on a fish's head .
>>
Would love to buy a chink one, if just shipping wasn´t that complicated and pricey.
>>
>>1002279
Forgot link

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Design-Expedition-LLDPE-Kajakk-450cm_1481476248.html
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.