[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does garlic work against ticks or is it just snake oil? Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 12

File: deer-tick-adult-female_med-2.png (59KB, 242x283px) Image search: [Google]
deer-tick-adult-female_med-2.png
59KB, 242x283px
Does garlic work against ticks or is it just snake oil? Is there anything that DOES work to get ward off these fucking parasites?
>>
>>996281
I've heard Tea Tree oil and DEET works well. I just got bit and Im on antibiotics for Lyme disease. I'm going to have to try the tea tree and DEET soon and let you know
>>
I think DEET works okay but I wouldn't trust garlic or tea tree oil much.

One time I had ticks crawling up my pant leg and I sprayed a line of OFF (DEET). They wouldn't cross it.
>>
ticks don't really bother you. i had one try and crawl in my ear. he did in the wax barrier and i got him later(months)
>>
Garlic works against mosquitos pretty well
>>
>>996281
deet works but it's not supposed to be on your skin for long. it's very toxic.
>>
Spay your clothes with permethrin. Ticks get on you, but they die in like a half a minute. Works for up to two weeks. Just don't get it directly on your skin.
>>
>>996281
I had lyme and it fucked up my nervous system
>>
>>996385
yea that'll happen. East coast right? up to 50% of black ticks there have lyme
>>
>>996351
I got cats so I cant.
>>
Some people say garlic works, but several tests have disproved that. In fact garlic in some tests was shown to actually attract more mosquitoes.

DEET is the worldwide standard in insect repellent for a reason.
>>
>>996281
Deet confuses ticks' sense of smell so that they don't think that you're food, but the allicin in garlic and onions makes your blood unpalatable to them, so they're more likely to seek something that will taste better. If you're really worried, you can use both, but I've never had tick issues when just using garlic.

Unfortunately, most studies are sponsored by companies that would stand to lose money if garlic was proven to be more effective than their product, so any positive results just get buried. Never trust the word of someone who wants your money.
>>
>>996406
What is the effect on cats? How dangerous is it? I have a cat but I just keep my permethrin soaked clothes in a closet and had no problems.
>>
someone working for a vet told me they have lyme vaccine now and she just got vaccinated because it's easy to catch from infected animals.
>>
>>996434
Not him, but permethrin is toxic. The reason it's not good for cats is because they rub against everything and then lick it off of their fur. Humans don't have that problem, so we really only have to worry about washing our hand before we eat.
>>
>>996436
Well then it's only a matter of keeping your out clothes in a separate place and not wearing them at home. I've read that it is only a mild irritant to humans, so I'll probaby risk it since now I'm building a house in a place where those eight legged fuckers are crazy.
>>
File: vomit knight.jpg (87KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
vomit knight.jpg
87KB, 621x621px
>>996301
>>
>>996494
haha
>>
>>996436
So keep your permethrin treated clothes in a place where the cat can't get to them.
>>
>>996568
I'd rather just not spray myself with poison.
>>
>>996388
yup. virginia.
>>
>>996436
Numerous studies have shown that permethrin is perfectly safe when its dry. You don't absorb it through your skin, and it's only toxic to animals because they absorb it quickly and can't metabolize it. Just don't rub it also over yourself while it's still wet, spray it on your shit outside, and don't take it back inside until its dry.
>>
>>996435
Your friends an idiot
>>
>>996593
Known to be fatal to lice, mosquitoes, scabies, bees, birds, cats and fish, but totally harmless to humans who have credit cards.
>Numerous studies
Who do you think pays for those studies to be done?
>>
>>996569
OK, then don't use permethrin. Problem solved.
>>
>>996281
Long pants and brush gaiters.
>>
>>996281
Ticks are bad here.
Where can I get the snake oil op says works?
>>
>>996349
>it's very toxic.
[citation needed]
>>
>>996281
DDT is still the best stuff around. DEET is just a cheap copy and a play on the more effective acronym.
>>
>>996761
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

Faggot.
>>
>>996775
The toxicity of DEET is quite a bit lower than West Nile or Lyme disease, Zika Baby
>>
>>996775
>muh 1 in 100000000 potentially related seizure rate
>muh rare cases of skin reations
Nowhere does it state it is "very toxic"

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1756-3305-7-173
"Toxic" doses are stupidly high. In humans there are no real risks. Reports of seizures/deaths related to DEET exposure are not conclusive.
>>
>>996281
I work inna woods here in nc. I dont spray myself except in really bad areas. The best way to ward tocks are with 98.2% deep woods. Nothing else really works. Some days in the not bad areas i pull 10-15 ticks off a day. You faggots worried about lyme are hypochondriacs. Ive been working this job for 5 years and feel just fine, even with multiple tick bites on my body right now.
>>
>>996796
Some people are just carriers. It can go without symptoms for 20 or more years. If you're lucky, there will be a solid cure by then.
>>
File: 1491280442658.png (51KB, 504x258px) Image search: [Google]
1491280442658.png
51KB, 504x258px
>>996796
sorry but the changes of you being a bear are way too high, i dont trust bears.
>>
File: map18.jpg (95KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
map18.jpg
95KB, 500x386px
>>996796
>It never happened to me, so it never happens to anyone else
Do you have to try to be this stupid, or does it come naturally?
>>
>>996970
MN here...looks like we are fucked!
>>
>>996670
Permetherin is on the WHO list of medications list of essential medicines. It has nothing to do with permethrin companies losing money. It is perfectly safe when dry.

It is known to be toxic to cats is all, but even then is usually considered safe when dry.

Fucking idiot conspiracy theorists in this thread.
>>
>>996984
Bro dont even start, I live in Pennsylvania. Its all over here. I know like 6 people who had Lyme disease in the last few years.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23KB, 500x327px
>>997019
this. and being toxic to cats is irrelevant anyway because even kindness, joy, and delight are toxic to cats.
>>
>>996287
Holy shit
>>
>>996388
Holy shit x2
>>
>>996670
Man the garlic sellers are all up in this thread, shilling for their untested and potentialy dangerous product.
>>
>>996632
They do have a lymes vaccine, it's just not produced.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (87KB, 620x399px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
87KB, 620x399px
>>997019
You do understand that at one point doctors recommended cigarettes as a cure for respiratory illness because they got kickbacks from the tobacco company, right? People will say anything if they're offered enough money; believing that spraying yourself with chemicals is safer than eating food just means you're gullible.
>>
File: 19c8ow5z6i588jpg.jpg (107KB, 636x996px) Image search: [Google]
19c8ow5z6i588jpg.jpg
107KB, 636x996px
>>
File: 19c8oyevbtotkjpg.jpg (153KB, 800x1094px) Image search: [Google]
19c8oyevbtotkjpg.jpg
153KB, 800x1094px
>>997314
"Made specially to prevent sore throats!"

Just because something hasn't been proven to be toxic yet, doesn't mean that fifty years down the road it won't. Garlic on the other hand has been eaten for centuries as a food and medicine.
>>
File: 19c8oy506ksf6jpg.jpg (68KB, 556x325px) Image search: [Google]
19c8oy506ksf6jpg.jpg
68KB, 556x325px
Trust your study-fed, doctor reinforced propaganda.
>>
>>997195
Because it doesn't work. It was shut down because the vaccine gives people the disease instead of preventing it.

And Lyme isn't contagious.
>>
>>997326
>vaccine gives people the disease
That's what vaccines do, albeit usually weaker strains. But someone had something to sell and didn't care who they hurt, much like the people that produce permethrin.
>>
>>997328
>But someone had something to sell and didn't care who they hurt

What the hell are you talking about? The vaccine didn't work as intended, so they pulled it.
>>
>>997019
>Permetherin is on the WHO list of medications list of essential medicines.
Would you say that you're qualified to recognize an office supply if you saw it?
Now what if I told you that i picked an object up off my desk, and was holding it in my left hand as I clicked 'post'. Would you know what it is, or even I actually picked something up, simply because you're qualified to make that distinction, or does the fact that you didn't see it mean that you can't tell if there's an object in my hand or not?
Because it sounds to me like permethrin has been studied, but no one has found anything toxic about it. That in no way proves that there isn't something toxic about it. See my point?

So what DO we know about Permethrin?
-Permethrin kills neurons in the brain of many different kinds of animals.
-The brain is capable or rerouting nueronal pathways around damaged areas
-These studies looked for obvious side effects, but no one had their brain cut into to see if there was underlying damage.
Sounds to me like they weren't able to see something, so they just assumed it wasn't there.
>>
>>997343
They manufactured and released a drug without proper testing because there was money to be made, the fact that they stopped producing it because people found out it was harmful doesn't detract from that fact they were more interested in the money than the people.
>>
>>997346
tl;dr
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
>>
>>997350
TY
>>
>>996281
Yeah, only snake oil works against ticks.
>>
>>997346
>Permethrin kills neurons
So the people who use permethrin can't comprehend the potentially damaging effects of permethrin.
>>
File: IMG_1441.jpg (29KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1441.jpg
29KB, 640x446px
>>996796
I wonder who could be behind this post.....
>>
>>996434
It's a nerve agent.
I know somebody that just saw "Tick Repellent" and put a line of it down their cat's back. That cat is very very dead.
>>
>>996761
We use it to clear the yellow haze on aging automotive headlights.
Works better than the actual kits.
Spray on, wait ten seconds, wipe off.
If its capable of that, imagine what it does to living organisms...
>>
>>996670
>lice
which weigh like, one microgram

>human
weighs 100lb min

if you swam in a pool of pure permethrin for 12 hours you would die.

Irrelevant comparison.
>>
>>998432
>imagine what it does to living organisms...
Not much if you read the literature.

>We use it to clear the yellow haze on aging automotive headlights
Thanks for the tip! Never thought I would find a use for the solvent properties of this already wonderful chemical.
>>
>>996301
>>
File: BP809010-2.jpg (123KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
BP809010-2.jpg
123KB, 500x500px
<<<<< this stuff

I work outdoors all day and play outdoors on weekends. I use this stuff on my hair, body, clothes, doggo, kitteh and bedding. No fleas, no ticks, cuts down on the mosquitoes (Florida, nothing stops the bastards 100%).

Plus it makes you smell like a lumberjack.
>>
>>998432
I use dihydrogen monoxide on my car to dissolve salt build-up. In seconds, it eats right through the salt. Imagine what a horrible, dangerous "chemical" like that can do to your insides!
>>
>>998480
So you're saying that permethrin is only capable of killing an insignificant number of neurons in humans, as opposed to all the neurons in a tick. What if I want to keep all my neurons instead of just most of them? Then is it okay to prefer garlic over neurotoxins?
>>
Ticks are just like every other animal on the planet, they evolved to have preferences for certain foods. For a tick, their preferred food is deer, which is primarily grain fed. If you eat a lot of corn and rice, you smell like good food, if you avoid grains and/or eat garlic which covers up the grain smell, you don't smell like good food. It's not foolproof, they'll eat anything if that's all that's available, but their instinct tells them that if you smell more like garlic than grains, you're probably not something they want to eat.

It's really that simple; would you eat food that smelled like it might be rotten? Probably not if there was anything else available.
>>
Pet store pro here

1. peppermint/clove/tea tree oils
2. brewer's yeast + garlic pills
3. permethrin bonded to fibers on a scarf for when you absolutely need to not get bit by any bugs
>>
>>996670
1. cats' metabolism does not handle permethrin well, just from a physiological standpoint. they quickly get too much to safely pass, get blood toxicity, and die. Cacao can kill dogs, but nobody is freaking out over kids eating chocolate,

2. it causes "hot foot" in insects, which is essentially their nervous system committing suicide, causing death after ~2 contacts with it. tick jumps on you, ZAP, tick jumps off but lands on your pants, ZAP, ded

3. go for permethrin that has bonded to fabric at a fiber level, such as the ones sold by "insect shield". unless your dog/cat literally eats the fabric, they will not be harmed. they have earned the highest level of safety certifixation.

in irder to earn this cert, they have people do repeated studies where they are draped in clothing by the company, which is completely covered in permethrin, then engage in physical labour for 8 hours without removing the clothing. the sweat is collected and repeatedly tested for permethrin, yet the permethein levels were a HUNDRED TIMES LOWER than what is REQUIRED for the product to be marketed for pets, let alone humans

you could put it on a cat and it wont do anything, you would have to cover a dog in 100 pants before they got a rash

t. insect shield rep
ps buy 100 pants
>>
>>996281
befriend an opossum
>>
>>1000394
1. So you're saying that it's toxic, but the body seems to manage it well it most cases? That's not terribly reassuring.

2. Humans have a lot more neurons, I get that; still don't want to kill off any of them.

3. I still think those studies are paid for by companies vested in the product who would throw out any results that negatively affected their bottom line.

Your pro-permethrin argument is that they've done extensive testing on animals? I'm no hippy, but I'll still pass, thanks.
>>
>>1000420
>1.
dude if you eat too much salt you will die. if you feed a dog 90% cacao chocolate they will die. if you inject a cat with permethrin they will die. in all of these cases, there is simply too much shit for the body to handle and it shuts down.
you would have to wear 100 jackets made with permethrin coated fibres, then work out for 8 hours, and THEN there would be enough permethrin in your body to be at a safe level for use in dogs.

>2.
fleas die from diatomaceous earth and borax salt. you can eat 5lb of diatomaceous earth and the only result will be extreme thirst from eating a bunch of dust. humans can drink beer, but if you pour it on a plant, the plant will die. permethrin does not cause brain damage or the death of neurons in humans as far as we are able to tell, as in there are no negative effects observed in dogs even at levels that would not occur unless you either injected the dog with permethrin, or let them swim in a literal tub full of it.

>3.
dont know what to tell you dude, it's been used for a very long time. the permethrin does not come off of the fibers due to being bonded to them. you dont come into direct contact with it regardless, as its usually worn as a scarf.

if you dont want to use permethrin, again, use clove+peppermint+tea tree oils/extracts, take brewers yeast+garlic pills, and dont crawl in bushes
>>
>get bit by several ticks
>feel under the weather after a month
>go to the doctor
>lol you're paranoid you'll only see if it's lyme disease after many years, come back then once your body is fucked up
FINLAND FUCK YOU
>>
>>1000330

>deer
>grain fed

Oh good lord...
>>
>>996351
Correct answer is here. In The South, Permethrin has been the only solution for me. Tucked pants and shirts plus that stuff has worked great.
>>
>>1000536
TIL ticks evolved to eat deer who have always roamed around eating rice and corn.
>>
>>1000394
>t. Insect shield rep

You have my interest. How often do they have sales? If I see some of that stuff on the clearance rack I'll buy it.
>>
>>996281
I remember reading that the Swedish military did a study where one platoon got garlic pills and one got sugar pills. Then they compared the number of ticks found on all the soldiers. I believe the garlic had a statistically signifiant effect, but not huge.
>>
Rural southern Kentucky, Garlic pills everyday. Never had an issue with ticks biting me.
Grandmother also always said that using some SkinSoSoft lotion would help. Hardly ever had anything bite me.
>>
>>1000536
Wild grasses are a grain, dipshit. I was only noting the fact that they're extremely genetically similar to foods like rice and corn that people eat on a regular basis.
>>
>>1000392
this.

essential oils sprayed on you (peppermint, lavender, citronella, some others), garlic, and tucking your pant legs into your socks, shirt tucked into pants. permethrin is fine, if you're paranoid of toxicity just put it on your boots. Most of the things are on high grass so having your boots covered should deal with 90% of em.
>>
>>1000672

You are aware of terms like herbivore and grass fed? Aren't they a bit more suitable?
>>
Ticks are fucking scary. Apparently here in Poland they already unhibernated and there are tons of those fuckers due to mild winter.
>>
Make sure you guys buy lots of DEET! The world's number one insect repellant. Nobody should be forced to live with awful scary big bad ticks. Why, everyone keeps saying the ticks are bad this year! You don't want lime disease do you? Garlic is gross! Permethrin kills cats and we need their toxoplasmosis! Make sure to pick up a bottle of DEET(™)

Also, don't forget your McNuggets(™) from McDonald's! Mmm, I'm lovin' it!
>>
I grew up in a heavily wooded part of New England and pulling ticks off of us was just part of daily life. I feel like 1/4 to 1/3 of my childhood friends had lyme disease and not a single fuck was given. Seriously, who cares? Why are ticks such a big deal? And nevermind the cats and dogs, a lot of days we'd pull a dozen ticks off those fuckers after they ran through the woods.
>>
>>1001800
get lyme and see how sick you get with no cure.
>>
Ticks are worst of animals.

When I walk my dog, that poor thing sometimes returns with 10-20 ticks crawling all around it.
>>
>>996281
you should also sprinkle pepper, salt on yourself then stick your dong out like bait to try to catch a bear
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.