[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've gone a little insane from reading too many adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Borneo rainforest.jpg (722KB, 1600x1073px) Image search: [Google]
Borneo rainforest.jpg
722KB, 1600x1073px
I've gone a little insane from reading too many adventure stories, like an autistic Don Quixote or something. I'm going to put together some gear and a small crew and go off into the jungles of Borneo or New Guinea in search of rare orchids, carnivorous plants, insects, and the like.

I've done a lot of camping but never in the jungle. I've also never had to actually trailblaze. Does anyone have any good tips or resources for learning about jungle survival/hiking/camping? I know the basics. Don't camp near swamps, bring malaria medicine, don't drink the water, only camp in clearings, if you hear everything else get quiet you should too, etc. But obviously I need more than that to go on.

>inb4 hurrrrr you're gonna die

I don't care. There's no blank spots left on the map anymore but there's still some parts we don't visit that often. I'd like to explore the jungle like the explorers of old while there's still a jungle to explore.
>>
sometimes when browsing this board i forget what website i'm on. thanks for reminding me
>>
>>994677
>I don't care.

Remember to use bug netting over your face and such to protect from sand flies which carry flesh eating/ulcerating Leishmaniasis parasite that will literally eat your face.
>>
>>994696
Yeah I mean I know the basics that I need to keep the incredibly deadly insects and snakes and predators away and shit. I'm looking more for information on like which plants to avoid, how to find clean drinking water in a pinch, stuff like that.

It's either this or an expedition to an unclimbed mountain in Antarctica and I feel like I probably have a higher chance of dying on that trip so I'll stick with the jungle.
>>
File: shanghai.png (390KB, 473x319px) Image search: [Google]
shanghai.png
390KB, 473x319px
>>994697
if your goal is uniqueness/trailblazing , why not just commit to some crazy batman-tier UEX shit.

Rather than ending up injured/ being a pain in the ass to rescuers in some jungle region no one in the civilized world gives a shit about, you could be getting millions of youtube views and a cult following for climbing buildings or structures, doing some kind of viewer requested challenge, generally avoiding the same risk of dying alone while actually being on an adventure that people would support or be fascinated by
>>
>>994705
That's like asking why a person who loves restoring old cars why he doesn't just buy a Ferrari instead. It's not the same, it's not something I want to do, and it's not something I have a passion in.

So I don't really care if anyone supports me in what I'm doing or not. I will not sit on my deathbed someday and say "Wow, I sure am glad I never pursued my passions because I was afraid of getting hurt, or getting sick, or getting bit by something."

Not trying to sound like an asshole but I've heard this from people my whole life. First it was my parents telling me I couldn't go explore in the woods when I was a kid, then it was my friends telling me that hiking was a waste of time, then it was my girlfriend nagging me about getting married instead of "wasting" money on a sailboat. I'm sick of it, and I'm not letting anyone keep me from what I want to do anymore.
>>
>>994677
>jungle
enjoy that bub
>>
>>994709
I certainly get that frustration, maybe I was projecting my interests with that idea.

Are you into sailing? There are a LOT of islands that while inhabited, are basically undisrupted by westerners and have volcanos, mountains, jungles etc. Plus you can bond with a crew, meet people, change things up.

The ocean is as unexplored as the jungles of 100 years ago, it really is a sort of trailblazing in its own way, in that you know point a and point b but have to fight your way through the middle.
>>
>>994677
http://www.britainstreasureislands.com/project/series/

The host (Stewart McPherson) goes around to 1,000s of places around the world researching orchids/plants in really out of the way places that most people don't want to walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qmcG2Epaw

The point is that sure, there's no blank spots on the map, but there's tons of places that no one has ever set foot on to do research. That might be an entire mountain or just a single small valley and a cliff plateau where the cliffs make it more difficult to get to.

If I were going to do what you want to do I'd go full autism with botany research and I'd try to get some grants to help with finances for it.
>>
>>994719
Yeah, I have a sailboat now and I do a lot of coastal sailing, but I've never crossed the Pacific before.
>>994876
That's my intention. I collect orchids back at home so it's a topic I'm familiar with and something that would really interest me. The idea of getting some funding for an expedition sounds cool but since I have no affiliations with any universities I doubt it'll happen.
>>
>I've gone a little insane from reading too many adventure stories, like an autistic Don Quixote or something
Good, I'm not the only one. I can go and live the dream of becoming an airbender and not feel too retarded about it.
>>
All I can say is
DO EET FAGGOT!
>>
>>995143
>The idea of getting some funding for an expedition sounds cool but since I have no affiliations with any universities I doubt it'll happen.

All you need to do is call up some of the universities and say "Hey, I'm going here to do this and it may advance science in this manner, anyone know of grants that would fit this to help me help science?" I'm sure someone, in-the-know at a university, can help you with better information. However, if you just say, "I don't think it will work," and you don't do anything then you'll be completely correct.
>>
I've always wanted to do this, but somewhere in Scandinavia or Russia. Fuck the jungle. God's speed anon, you have the type of soul that bards wrote songs about in days gone by.
>>
File: IMGP6960.jpg (643KB, 1800x1191px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP6960.jpg
643KB, 1800x1191px
OP bring me with you I must record Borneo!
>>
You aren't doing any of this OP. It's just going to be a fantasy you fall back on to escape from your mediocre reality.

Are you a taxonomist? So you are just going to collect and improperly preserve/store/transport any taxa you come across? Then what?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.