[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you anons been at Chattahoochee National Forest and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: GA.png (466KB, 1510x556px) Image search: [Google]
GA.png
466KB, 1510x556px
Have any of you anons been at Chattahoochee National Forest and went through the Appalachian Trail?

How was the experience?

I live in FL and thought it would be nice to go there whenever I have a chance.

I am also doing a bit of research on firearms in that state, and carrying in that national forest. I would probably take one if I could. Just because you never know what could happen on a trail, and your a long way from help.
Another thing I am thinking about is actually getting there. If I went in car it would have to be parked there for a week or two.

Would appreciate some advice, thanks.
>>
File: 1465244520960.jpg (727KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465244520960.jpg
727KB, 1920x1080px
Bump
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68zS-LKn60

Just watch this.
>>
>>993014
Not going through the whole trail, just the part in the GA, and probably not even all of that.

Anyways, watching right now.
>>
>>992913
Yes, It was hotter than a hoochie coochie.
>>
>>993038
No doubt. Used to the heat though, it's hot as fuck in FL.

How was it?
>>
>>993038
Really pretty. I went through by canoe. Definitely in my top 5 SE floats. Only bad thing was when I found a fat tick under my balls on day 3.
>>
>>993043
>Only bad thing was when I found a fat tick under my balls on day 3
LOL! Got to be careful with them ticks, fuckers can give you lymes disease.

I don't plan on doing the whole trail, or all of the trail in GA but maybe quite a bit.

Did you actually go on the trail or just canoed?
>>
Not sure how much of AT is in Chattahoochie NF, but I have hike all of the trail in GA.

Day 1 Springer mt to Sassafrass mt. 11 miles. Nice trail but limited water sources. Take advantage of any water you come across. Hard steep climb to end day.

Day 2 Sassafrass to Woody Gap. 10 or so miles. No big climbs. Very limited water hopefully ranger trucks with water at road crossings.

Day 3. Woody Gap to Neel Gap. 12 miles. One big climb over Blood Mountain. Easier going up than down. Resupply available at Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap. Recommend stay at Blood Mountain cabins shower and laundry.
>>
Day 4 Neel Gap to Low Gap. 12 miles. Several big ups. Good camping at Low Gap shelter.

Day 5 Low Gap to Blue Mountain 8 miles easy trail. Went additional 3 miles to Cheese Factory camp site hard down off blue mt and climb out of gap.

Day 6 Cheese Factory to Dicks Creek gap. 15 miles tough trail hard climbs. Got shuttle to Hiawasse GA Holiday Inn Express.

From Dicks Creek it is about 12 miles to Bly Gap and the GA/NC border. There isn't really a good road access until another 10 or so miles where you can blue blaze down to Standing Indian Campground.
>>
My advice as far as travel logistics would be to leave your car at either Hiawasse or Helen GA hotel and pay for a shuttle to Springer Mountain. Shuttles there are common and reasonable. You can get an easy hitch to Hiawasee from Dicks Creek Gap and either hitch or shuttle to Helen from Unicoi Gap just north of Blue Mountain shelter.

As far as I know you are fine to carry firearms throughout the trail in GA.
>>
File: index.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
And while you're there...
>>
>>993210
>>993213
Sounds a bit rough honestly. If it's beautiful then I wouldn't mind at all.
I think there are like one hundred miles of the AT in GA.
How easy was it to follow the trail?

>>993214
Why would it be better to leave the vehicle in those places? One of my issues would be someone breaking in and taking something.

If I keep the weapon in a vehicle I don't need a CC license but if I plan to have it on me then I probably do.
I guess I'll keep it on me anyways, need to stay safe, and the chances of getting caught are very slim.

>>993266
What is this?
>>
File: 1485460053102.jpg (85KB, 1024x624px) Image search: [Google]
1485460053102.jpg
85KB, 1024x624px
Bump
>>
>>993274
I don't have all my stuff in front of me, but I think there are 70 miles. Yes it is rough. The AT in Georgia is no joke. That day plan I listed was just from memory, but yeah Georgia kicked my ass.

I had trained hard for three months prior to starting my thru hike and I wanted to quit that first day.

I stopped on top of Sassafrass mountain not because I planned it, but because I just couldn't go any further. I stopped the 2nd day at Woody Gap because there were people there at the highway cooking hot dogs and giving out Cokes and Gatorade.

I recommended the parking because yeah, you don't want to leave your car at a trailhead where some redneck will come break into your car. You could park at the Springer parking lot safely because it is heavily trafficked, but then you would have to make your way back there when you are finished.

I don't know or care why you want a firearm with you and don't want to get into that argument. Over the past 10 years I have hiked the entire AT and the only places south of New York with firearm restrictions are the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Shenandoah National Park. No problems in the various National Forests, Wilderness Areas, or Recreational Areas. No problems in any State Parks of State Gaming Lands.

Never had to draw my pistol either.
>>
>>993704
Fuck. I am not experienced at all at this, and have gotten a bit out of shape lately. How difficult is it and why? I'll probably fucking die haha.

I don't live in GA so I am not really aware with that area. Is the Springer parking lot close to or within the park?

I would be carrying for self defense, and only if I absolutely needed it. I would probably be carrying some bear mace also.
>>
File: 1471041057993.png (39KB, 633x973px) Image search: [Google]
1471041057993.png
39KB, 633x973px
Shameless bump
>>
>>993708
Ok. It is now obvious you are just trolling. You want some sort of debate about carrying a firearm in a National Forest. I have told you several times you can carry any gun you want up and down the AT in Georgia. Go for it

It is difficult because you are hauling 30+ pounds of equipment and food on your back on a trail that constantly takes you from 1500 to 5000 feet in elevation. Up and down. Up and down. Over and over. If you are out of shape don't bother.

Thanks for wasting my time making an effort post for someone I thought was actually interested in backpacking.
>>
>>994674
Dude I am not trolling, or trying to start an argument. I was just letting you know why I would, and you obviously carry also so you shouldn't have an issue with that.
I am not THAT out of shape, I just haven't been doing much exercise lately.
>>
>>992913
I parked at the trail head on route 78. I live near Atlanta. Met a guy who walked most of the USA on my first day, he was basically homeless but cool as fuck. He had views that iron age people would have had. I carried 40 lbs of gear 15 miles into NC, a big fucking revolver was not needed and it got some surface rust. Best bet, drive up to to any of the trail heads, if you carry, carry something small. You're used to it being flat in Florida. My piss went from orange to clear, to orange, to clear in 15 minute intervals in some portions. Drink lots of water. Those sawyer filters will let you refill at streams no problem. I got away with one canteen, and a reserve I didn't need. All n all, I did a three day hike, met some awesome people, had some coyotes come by a shelter during one of the nights, but it was no problem. Travel lite bro
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.