[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there jobs like the ones in the video game 'firewatch'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

Are there jobs like the ones in the video game 'firewatch'? I would love to live in a tower surrounded by nature with nothing to do but read a good book, listen to some good music, and just watch for forest fires. How does one get into this occupation? Does it pay, or is it merely volunteer positions?
>>
>>991522
The USFS still operates fire towers, but they are mostly as hiker attractions. The rangers that staff them are expected to educate visitors on local history, fire prevention and ecology.
>>
>>991526

Damn, that sucks. Do they stay in the towers to live, or what?
>>
File: global_fire_map.jpg (15KB, 330x162px) Image search: [Google]
global_fire_map.jpg
15KB, 330x162px
>>991529
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_lookout_tower#United_States_2

>Today hundreds of towers are still in service with paid-staff and/or volunteer citizens. In some areas, the fire lookout operator often receives hundreds of forest visitors during a weekend and provides a needed “pre-fire suppression” message, supported by handouts from the "Smokey Bear", or "Woodsy Owl" education campaigns. This educational information is often distributed to young hikers that make their way up to the fire lookout tower. In this aspect, the towers are remote way stations and interpretive centers. The fire lookout tower also acts as a sentinel in the forest attracting lost or injured hikers, that make their way to the tower knowing they can get help.

>In some locations around the country, fire lookout towers can be rented by public visitors that obtain a permit. These locations provide a unique experience for the camper, and in some rental locations, the check out time is enforced when the fire lookout operator returns for duty, and takes over the cab for the day shift.

>Fire lookout towers are an important part of American history and several organizations have been founded to save, rebuild, restore, and operate fire lookout towers.

Everyone uses satellites and programs to automatically spot fires now.

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/earth-observation-data/near-real-time/firms
>>
I had an interview as a fire watchman in northern Alberta. Reading Kerouac's Desolation Angels and Big Sur filled my mind with this notion.

Interview went well and I got a call back. Watch tower position was filled and they want to know if I wanted to be part of a rapattack fire crew. I thought about it and said no... I wanted to be alone in a fire tower all summer, not rappel from a chopper into a fire lol

Still, could have been fun.
>>
>>991605
aw that sucks. played the game last year and thought it would've been an amazing gig. i would've volunteered every other summer.
>>
>>991630
>Reading Kerouac's Desolation Angels and Big Sur
Pleb
>>
>>991645
You missed the boat by about 50 years.
>>
Around Oregon, you can rent firewatch towers for the night.
>>
Theres some towers on the off road trails by me in Big Bear Cali. Mostly old people that volunteer. You have to know quite a bit. The instruments are cool to pinpoint a hazard
>>
>>991666
I read lots of fiction, non-fiction, and research papers. I don't worry about how my reading habits are viewed by others, period. That's the point of reading, to get different ideas and viewpoints, not to simply select what already jives with your beliefs.

Also, I wrote Big Sur but I mean Dharma Bums in the context of watchtowers.
>>
>>991522
If I volunteered for firewatch I think I'd end up living there year round.
>>
>>991630
>not wanting to rappel from a helicopter into a fire
What are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
>>992102
>Dharma Bums
I love that book
>>
Since the EPA is getting cut and shit is getting defunded even though it's necessary in order to fund a billionaire's family's lifestyle I wouldn't imagine it's going to be a hot field.
>>
File: 1487479013399.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1487479013399.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>991668
yeah, i know
>>
>>992200

CTR please go. Wasted digits.
>>
Former Firewatch in BC AMA
>>
>>992414

Yes, I am a part of CTR. You got me. I was paid to tell you what is going on and that you can verify yourself.
>>
>>992421
Are the Beatles overrated in your opinion?
>>
>>992421
Where at in BC?
>>
We still have fire towers in NJ. You can work for NJFFS to staff them
>>
>>991522

Buy a lot of land in the middle of nowhere and build your own tower to live in, then call in fires you see.
>>
File: 1491175651723.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1491175651723.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
bump for interest
>>
>>992421
did you work the puggins mountain firetower? outside of tumbler ridge?
>>
>>992379
I feel the same way about being a lighthouse keeper.
>>
>>992421
how many tourists do you deal with in a day? If it's less than 20, how can I sign up?
>>
>>992414
You're an idiot for claiming that someone caring about the mission of the EPA is automatically a shill

>>992200
You're an idiot for thinking that the EPA runs fire towers

Have fun
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.