[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

newfag lurker here. came to out for some comfy camping pics and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: mountain stream.jpe.jpg (54KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
mountain stream.jpe.jpg
54KB, 550x366px
newfag lurker here. came to out for some comfy camping pics and i fell in love with what ive seen.
im planning a 5 day backpacking trip and need gear, i thought about buying what walmart has (ozark trail and coleman brands), not sure how these brands would hold up for innawoods, so id like some input from anons with experience on what to buy. i have about $300 cash to spend on all the gear i need, excluding food.

location im planning for are the smokey mountains, but im open to any suggestions somewhat close to So,indiana

tl;dr
>newfag wants to go backpack/cammping
>needs gear
>iare ozark trail/coleman brands good?
>has 300 dollaroos
>location is smokey mountains, or any suggestions around so indiana
>>
>what time of year?
>are you planning on hiking every day, or setting up a basecamp to explore out of?
>cheap gear=heavy gear
>cheap tents ventilate like shit
>decent shoes/boots are top priority, most everything else can get by on budget versions.
>thrift/consignment is your friend
>>
Building your first kit on Amazon is way better. Read reviews, watch videos on YouTube of reviews, and make the decisions for yourself.

When I got Into backpacking I spent about 300 on a kit I've almost entirely upgraded.

I would do it again. The best way to learn what works for you is by going /out/. Even now I hone my kit after ever trip, and I'd say I'm moderate as far as experience goes.

Build your kit for what you want to do. If you want to distance hike each time, staying at a different location every night, I suggest looking to make your kit as light and minimal as possible.

For me I like to hike in on day 1, set up camp, and day hike the rest of the days, always coming back to the same camp. I don't mine huffing a 45lb pack 10 miles for the comforts you can bring with more weight. I also recommend a good hatchet and folding saw if you do this style. It's so comfy it almost feels like cheating. But God Damn do you feel connected with nature by staying put in the same spot.

Take lots of pictures to make your first adventure thread on /out/. Even though they never get decent replies, tons of people lurk in envy. (a while back when anon posted pictures from all over Patagonia, the thread maybe lasted a week?)
>>
>>991435
>what time of year?
june or august, not definite but definitly summer months
>are you planning on hiking every day, or setting up a basecamp to explore out of?
daily hiking anon, unless my parinoia of someone stealing my stuff is false
>cheap gear=heavy gear
ill keep in mind,

thanks for the other tips, anything you would recommend?

>>991437
thanks for tips, is there any cheap yet reliable gear you would recommend?
>>
The Smokies were hit with a terribad wildfire back in November, forcing Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge to evacuate. I wouldn't recommend it due to the scenery being fucked from what I hear.

Falls Creek Falls has nice scenery/backwoods camping and the trails give gorgeous sights. It's maybe an extra 1-3 hours I believe, unless you take a different route.
While I'm not the most proficient gearfag, I seriously doubt Wallyworld's camping gear.
>>
>>991440
>any cheap yet reliable gear you would recommend?
Boots: Merell
Sleeping bag: look on Amazon. I have a Kangaroo Rocky Mountain, and it's decent
Knife: Mora, Opinel
Tent: I like milsurp, they're really not that heavy. If you want to go ultralight, might as well get a bivvy
Water filter: Sawyer mini or Lifestrpaw
Lamp: Petzl frontal + a small handheld (Maglite is good but a little heavy, you can also get the little cheap ones on Amazon. Don't get the heavy tactical ones)
Fire: a dumb Bic lighter
Mess kit: You can go cheap and get stuff from walmart, or you can go milsurp. I like the Swedish mess kit.
Backpack: So many options. Just look on Amazon for a backpack you like that has good reviews. For a beginner, 35-45L should be good.
>>
>>991440
My first pack was a high Sierra Appalachian 75. I would get it again at the 60$ I paid for it. I now have a Gregory baltoro 65.

My first tent was a eureka midori 2. I absolutely would get this again. I still use it, even though I have a big agnes 3 person UL that weighs less and is more compact.

My first sleeping pad was the alps self inflation pad. It's garbage. I now have an exped 7r pad. It's like sleeping on clouds.

First sleeping bag was a Kelty cosmic 41. I still use this for warm weather/summer camping. I also have a Slumberjack - 20 down bag.

I've never really had quality headlamps or flashlights. Honestly a Headlamp doesn't need to go past 40 lumens or less for tasks at camp. Maybe for night hiking, but I also have a hand light that's 3000 lumens (mostly for security. Imagine freaking out a bear at 3k lumens in the dead of night. Whether I die or live, it's going to be an awesome story)

I have a good camp knife. I spent $40 for a bk2. Honestly, with an axe and saw, I hardly use it.

For a cooking kit, I use a $6 amazon backpacking stove. Not the eckticity one, the cheaper one. I have both, and only use the cheap one. I also have an msr pocket rocket I like less. I use a Klean Kanteen 40z for my "pot" it fits well on the stove, or in a fire.

I can go on with my kit, but that's really the basics. And all you need to get started. This by no means recommendation on the gear you should get. It's just the route I took. I did mild research on most of the things I got.
>>
>>991428
>newfag
>lurker
>makes a fucking thread

One of these things is incorrect.
>>
File: IMG9513821.jpg (173KB, 1080x1235px) Image search: [Google]
IMG9513821.jpg
173KB, 1080x1235px
>>991464
He lurked before he posted, no shame in that. It's the newfags who post without lurking we need to get on.
>>
>>991457
>>991460
thansk anons, ive been looking at the stuff you recommended and the beginnings of a set aer ebeing put together

>>991464
promise not to shit up the board anon
>>
A 5 day hike with new gear is a mistake.
>>
>>991481
i have a few months to gather these things anon and i plan on having a few short outings close to where i live before my big trip in the summer. not stupid enough to buy stuff and go innawoods
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-31-03.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-31-03.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>991485
Once you get a tent and sleeping bag, you should do a solo car camp with what you think you'll bring.

Worst case scenario, you go home.

Work on your fire lighting skill. Even with a lighter. It can be a challenge in wet conditions. Great skill to have. You're always the hero if you get a fire going when nobody else can.
>>
>>991460
The way I see it, high Sierra packs are knock off ospreys, and Teton sports are knock off keltys. I'm glad you like the high Sierra, I was looking at the 55l , but I ended up with the Teton.
>>
>>991487
That's exactly what I planned on doing, minus the fire practice. I'm pretty good with flint/steel and magnesium. edgy teenager days
>>
Other newfag, Recommend me a camp stove why doncha?
>>
File: IMG_20160507_121250025_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160507_121250025_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>991510
You can bodge one togeter with a paint tin a bean tin pretty easily.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.