[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is investing in a good 'higher price' knife worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 79

File: image.jpg (39KB, 520x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 520x220px
Is investing in a good 'higher price' knife worth it? Or should I just get a basic mora? I wouldn't mind something that'll last years and remain effective but I also don't want something I'm scared of damaging.
>>
>>989763
Yeah, you shouldn't buy a knife you are scared to abuse. Then you end up like those EDC fags that have a drawer full of knives that they only take photos of.

I know, i went through that phase. We can all tell you to get this knife, or this knife but in the end you're the only person who can decide what knife will suit your needs.

It's all trial and error. I've been through countless ESEE's, Tops, etc. I finally ended up settling with a BHK pitbull. I can EDC it if I want, baton small wood, carve, etc. It works for what I need it for and feels amazing in the hand.

A decent budget knife (was budget anyway) is a Condor Bushlore. I abused the shit out of that knife. It held a good edge, was easy to sharpen and could handle all the task I threw at it.
>>
>>989763
I wouldn't spend much money on 1095 steel knives.
With tops and Esee you buy the name for the most part.
I use a Leatherman for carving and all other fine work and a hultafors 1lb. mini hatchet for chopping and splitting.

Mora HD companion and a hatchet will do everything you need.

But yeah, the cool factor is what gets you going, so buy what makes you happy.
>>
>>989873
what would you recommend instead of 1095?
>>
>>990024
For me the best value is 3V. It outperforms 1095 across the board and it probably the most versatile steel out there. It will patina, so if you really need stainless there are better choices like 20CV or S34VN. Steel is an area where there have been a lot of legit no bullshot advancements.

As far as brands go I think Survive! offers a lot of bang for the buck. Their delivery times are absolute shit so looking on the secondary market is the only way to go.

But there are lots of good fixes blades in 3V these days. Bark River is completely full of shit marketing wank but their knives are breddy gud for the price.
>>
>>989763
Any Mora will easily last for years and remain effective. As a knife collector I can only say you should only buy knives that you love.
>>990024
1095 is fine. It's easy to sharpen, much easier than stainless steels. If you actually use your knife it will get dull all the time and you spend a lot of time sharpening it. If you have a budget, why not try AUS-8 steel. It's almost like carbon to sharpen, but it doesn't rust that easily. If you go for a Mora, buy a carbon steel one, stainless ones are difficult to sharpen. They will get sharp, but not razor sharp, not without special equipment.

Super steels are a lot like Fjällräven, they're great but not worth the money they cost.
>>
>>990024
I am not against 1095 steel, it's fine and extremely cheap. The mentioned manifacturers sell their products for a price that is too high for a knife made of 1095.

Really hot right now is 80crV2, It's hilariously tough, while keeping an edge well.
A cheap knife made out of this steel is the terävä jääkäripuukko, you can get one with a top tier sheath for 55$ at Varusteleka.
>>
>>989763
It depends on what you're doing. If it's just a general purpose /out/ knife, then no, you don't need anything high-end. However, if you are a hunter and will be skinning big game animals for years to come, it definitely makes sense to invest in a good knife.
>>
>>989763
>I wouldn't mind something that'll last years and remain effective but I also don't want something I'm scared of damaging.

that IS a mora. Hell that is any half decent knife.

If you're a noob, buy cheap, learn what you can and cannot do with an edged tool, learn technique, learn what kind of blade shape you like, handle you like, etc, THEN buy a fancy knife if you want, you won't need to ask anons opinions as you will have your own experiences to base from.

I own a $20 mora and a $200 bark river, guess which I take to the woods with me?
>>
>>990185
I do hunt deer and elk so being able to skin game is important. I'll definitely give Mora's a look though.
>>
I own a Esee 3 and a Esee 6, both I use heavily. Honestly I kept on breaking Mora knives (never battened with them) but I was just very hard on them and kept on breaking them so I decided a Esee was the way to go. 4 knives I broke before I went with a Esee.
If you need one get one if not go with a Mora, they aren't a bad knife for the buck but in my honest opinion they aren't what I want/need.
>>
>>989763
>Is investing in a good 'higher price' knife worth it?
depends on what metric of good and worth you are using.
For knives, price is nearly meaningless above 20 or 30 dollars. There are knives that cost $30 that are objectively better in every way than $150 knives.

Pay attention to steel and personal preference, not price.
>>
>>990285
Any suggestions for good knives around $30?
>>
File: PicsArt_03-24-05.18.14.png (58KB, 600x156px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-24-05.18.14.png
58KB, 600x156px
>>990306
You can find a classic American made Western L66 for that price range. They were good enough for your grandpa so they're good enough for you.
>>
File: bushlore.jpg (158KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
bushlore.jpg
158KB, 900x600px
>>990306
I have been thinking about picking up a condor bushlore, I don't really need another knife...but they are cheap and intrigue me. They are 34 bucks, made from 1075 which is fine if the heat treat is done right. The sheath is probably worth $35 bucks by itself.
>>
Anything low priced but with a thick blade like a Campanion and under 4" (so the NYPD can't give me shit for it without a lawsuit in turn)?
>>
so I don't know anything about knives and I don't even think I need one that much , since in gemrany open fires are illegal.

could I just buy some weird coloured one from aliexpress and throw it in my backpack so I have one when I actually need one ?
>>
>>989763

>>989763

ESEE knives are a massive meme.

Great cutting performance for what's average in the industry, and great abuse performance.

However they have shit coatings and shit, uncomfortable handles you'll have to replace.
>>
>>990749
condor mini bushlore has a 3" blade.
>>
>>990910
The coating was always stripped from mine and I always added a patina to it.
The handles were fucking terrible though. I always ended up adding TKC scales. I still have a 3 and an abused to shit Izula. I gave the 3 to my wife and the Izula is just my little bullshit knife.

I ended up getting a LT Wright skeletonkey to replace the Izula and I never looked back after that.
>>
>>989763
Get a nice one. I'm the guy who's going to take it when you're not looking.
>>
>>989873

Esee, you're spending extra for warranty. Seeing as they'll replace it no matter what, even if you break it on purpose.
>>
>>989763

Mora Companion (stainless are better than the carbon IMO) will do everything you realistically need for a knife when /out/

More Bushcraft is a little more buckaroos but it has the best grip you'll ever find

The more expensive bushcraft knives are made to be abused. Replaceable handles and coated carbon steel. It'll last you a lifetime and you won't damage it other than scuffing up the coating on the blade. RATs and BK2s.

I like the F1 survival, but that's just me. I always have a Mora in my pack, which would be fine to replace the F1 with as primary, but I just like the F1.
>>
File: IMG_0550.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0550.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just get something in the 50-100 dollar range. Get something good, but not something expensive.

I just bought a bk-16. And guess what? It do the exact same shit of that $150-$200 dollars meme knifes.
>>
>>991540

Adding, I don't think I've ever done something /out/ with a knife that I couldn't with my Delica EDC (which is a simple lockback)

Cutting up fish, shaving some kindling, shaving some tent pegs and eating.
>>
>>989873
The difference in production cost for a knife made out of 1095 vs the same one in 3V is negligible.
You are literally paying a higher price for exotic meme steel.
>>
>>989763
it depends on where you live but i couldn't get by with a mora in rural Queensland, i love my esee 6
>>
>>991552
3v is much harder to work with.
>>
A guy offered me a hand made knife with d2 steel, told me it's 62 hrc.
Not completely sure about his forging skill so I don't know if he managed that.
60€, should I cop it?
>>
File: jjhh.png (34KB, 278x134px) Image search: [Google]
jjhh.png
34KB, 278x134px
>>991552
>What are carbides?
>What is heat treatment of stainless steel?
>What is powder metallurgy?
>>
>>991541
>Fairly priced
>Really like the blade
>Really dislike that bottom part of the handle
I hope they change it in the future.

Also opie it really depends in what you do /out/ and weather or not you have private land. For example a mora robust or a small sak pretty much do it for me since I mostly hike.

If I were to throw some more serious money on a knife it would probably be a small, fixed edc with a high end meme steel. Lionsteel, Bradford and Bark River all have some models I really like.
>>
>>991769
D2 is all in the heat treat. 59-60 hrc is a better range for it. 62 is generally a little brittle for D2. Lower than 57 and it's spongy. How does he test hardness? Got a pic?
>>
>>989763
>investing
you unwrap it and it loses half of it's value.
one scratch and again loses half.
that's some good investment right there.
>>
>>991983
If you use it for a everyday for a lifetime, it's a very good investment. If it helps save a life once, it's a very good investment. A knife is most always an asset rather than a liability.
>>
>>991983
Not investing in the monetary sense nigga
>>
>>991275
And Tops knives are differentially hardened along the edge making them exceptionally tough.
>>
File: Boker-Plus-Outdoorsman-1.jpg (33KB, 980x600px) Image search: [Google]
Boker-Plus-Outdoorsman-1.jpg
33KB, 980x600px
>>990749
>>990915
What does /out/ think of the Boker Plus Outdoorsman?
>>
>>992358
Why would they make two holes in the blade to make it a weaker construction? Some retard meme function no one use like tread paracord and make it a spear?

Overall nice clean design, they could have made it full flat or saber grind. 12c27 is not too bad. Get rid of the false edge and ricasso, give it a nicer sheath and I might have bought one. I don't know why they always have to fuck up the design.
>>
File: tryhard intensifies.jpg (208KB, 1583x873px) Image search: [Google]
tryhard intensifies.jpg
208KB, 1583x873px
>>
>>991995
yeah but a $10 knife can do all the same tasks a $300 knife can.
>>
>>992456
>Some retard meme function no one use like tread paracord and make it a spear?
you know you can tie a knife to a stick without the stupid holes right? which would only wear the paracord down btw because too sharp anyways.
>>
>>992565
i wouldn't buy that knife ever but i really would want to try out what it can actually do.
>>
File: 21376651.jpg (190KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
21376651.jpg
190KB, 400x400px
>>992565
this is how you begin it.
>>
>>992565
No place on the spine to batonny, shame
>>
>>992565
delete this, this is a blue board damnit.
>>
File: 234433.jpg (193KB, 1156x672px) Image search: [Google]
234433.jpg
193KB, 1156x672px
>>992577
>>
File: smart-longhorn-attire.jpg (16KB, 252x329px) Image search: [Google]
smart-longhorn-attire.jpg
16KB, 252x329px
>>992737
>harpoon
lol
>>
You don't need to buy an expensive knife. It's more of a gearhead thing to buy expensive knives; the worst thing is these types of people buying knives that never see any use, while bragging/critiquing knives online as if cutting 100 ft of rope and slicing paper is a valid test.

That said, I really like knives and actually put them to use. I recently bought a Benchmade Foray and am very impressed with it.

I'd recommend getting a Buck 110 or Buck 115, depending on your use. They are good, affordable knives. I carried a 115 for 5 years as a forest surveyor and still carry it when I'm in the bush

In short, don't get caught up in the hype or listen too much to the gearheads. There are a lot of them around in every hobby/interest, and /out/ is no different.
>>
File: cold steel recon scout.jpg (94KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
cold steel recon scout.jpg
94KB, 960x960px
old man who usually just lurks, but I've got a knife question for /out/

is the tanto knife shape viable? I'm pretty stuck in my ways but a friend of mine asked for my opinion on where to get a good knife for 'shtf' and I told him id give him a few recommendations, IF he would go camping with me to learn the basics, see if he even wants to bother, he agreed and I recommended mora and cold steel
I've used several of there products prior rangeing from cheap stuff like mora 511s and cold steels bushman bowie, up to some of the high end stuff as well, figured between the 2 he would find something he liked

problem being now hes dead set on the cold steel recon tanto, and while it certainly looks mean as a weapon, is it functional as a knife? I thought id ask here to see, I could be wrong maybe it has its own niche to fill.
>>
>>992785
>is the tanto knife shape viable?
it's a literal fucking meme.
the tanto tip can be better in armor piercing due to the mechanics of it. why the fuck would that be a consideration for an outdoors knife?
>>
>>992841
also
>cold steel recon for outdoors
>black paint on blade
>not the san mai 3 blade
what the fuck is wrong with that stupid ass kid?
>>
File: Cold Steel Recon Tanto 3.jpg (1MB, 3263x2367px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Recon Tanto 3.jpg
1MB, 3263x2367px
>>992785
First off, your file name is wrong. That is a Cold Steel Recon Tanto (not scout), an older Carbon V one to be specific, back when they were made in America. They switched to a Taiwanese made AUS8a one and a Japanese made Laminated VG-1 one (I have one pic related).

They just upgraded the line; Now they have Taiwanese made CPM-3v one and a coated VG-1 (non laminated) one made in Japan.

I agree with >>992841, they are not good for /out use. They are more suited for combat use.

>>991953
Second this

>>991552
Errrr what da differents betwen da handle and pointa side agin?
>>
>>992785
btw i think this is the typical bad knife all around.
too small for combat or machete work, too big for bushcraft woodworking and eating.
>>
File: Cold Steel San Mia Recon Tanto.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel San Mia Recon Tanto.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>992858
It's a combat utility knife in design. You don't want a massive knife, there is a reason the Kabar USMC, and most other combat knives are around 7" bladed. It's not like you actually use it to fight, you use it for heavy utility, most of the time as a crowbar.

The American Tanto tip is great for combat utility because it's so strong a durable, not really because of the stabbing abilities. Another thing people misunderstand, it has horrible penetration compared to many other designs, but it makes a massive entry wound. Less lethal, but more incapacitating.
>>
>>992864
Is that hollow grind? I can't fucking stand it.
>>
>>992864
>It's a combat utility knife in design.
i have seen better then, they are usually more geared towards utility for a reason. nobody really thinks seriously knife work in combat is something that should be a thing except for some last ditch hollywood style desperado stuff.

i would go with one of these options instead of a combat/utility knife:

>1) full tang carbon steel 4-5" non coated
full on bushcraft meme knife if you want one knife (which is always better to have more of) but i can respect it as it actually makes sense
>2) big choppa + small neck knife
problem is the big choppa is expensive, can be a kukri a busse or a junglas but at least you get capability
>3) mora companion or heavy duty + a backup folder edc
this is the cheap ass option, it makes no sense to pour money into might bes, if it's for shtf then go with cheap ass blade! cs recon folders with tri-ad lock are in my opinion very good light weight durable folders, not as cheap as i would like them to be tho.
>>
File: It's Complicated.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
It's Complicated.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>>992877
>>992873
I'm not claiming it's an /out knife by any stretch. It's not. I have it because it's one of the knives that got me into knives many years ago, I actually find the design aesthetically pleasing, the hollow catches the light in an highlights the lamination line in a very pretty way.

For /out I tend to carry a light fixed blade, for delicate work, in combination with a medium or large fixed blade, and a Hudson bay sized ax. Or sometimes a machete. Depends on where I am/going and what I plan on doing.

These tend to be my more carried ones, in one combination or another.
>>
>>992883
yeah i never said it's not pretty or i wouldn't keep it if i got it for free. especially a san mai.

but i don't think i would ever use it for anything.
>>
>>989763

Cheap 1095 knife, spend the savings on good sharpening stones, even the meme steel knives are only as good as they're maintained.

I use a medium/fine diamond stone for fixing knicks or dings and three Arkansas stones for when I want it razor sharp or to touch up the blade: soft, hard, then the black stone. No worries about damaging the blade when you use those kind of stones, too, they are not very aggressive at removing steel so perfect for learning on.

A Fallkniven DC4 is a great little stone to carry around for touch ups when you're out and about, it could probably replace the Arkansas stones for 95% of sharpening, I'd definitely recommend a medium diamond stone for repairs, though.
>>
>>992888
the fucking stones i get recommended cost more than all of the knives i ever bought.
>>
>>992897

Everybody knows a knife won't get sharp unless you use a 12000 grit Nippon waterstone mined during the Feudal era!
>>
File: 1492228632103.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1492228632103.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>992785
>>989763
just picked up the big knife from local camping shop for AU$20 from local camping shop, got two so when I break the first one I don't cry too much. Cheap steel, Aus brand, made in Pakistan. Anyone ever seen Sicut brand before?
As for the tanto, it's my edc. Handy edge for use as tool and cutting.
I know the Sicut is cheap but for twenty aussie dollars it was a bargain, inclided sheath. Full tang. I will try it out on a bit of batony chop chop and see how it goes...
>>
>>992841
>>992857
>>992858
>>992983
thanks for the advice all around anon, for a urban edc knife I suppose it would be aright, but I'll keep an extra knife in my pack for when he gets tired of the tanto for the woods, thanks anons! he's just young, everyone wants something cool at that age but some designs are timeless for a reason
>>
>>993069
>for a urban edc knife I suppose it would be aright
are we still talking about the 7" recon tanto? cause that sounds really weird.
>>
>>989763

Dont waste your money on ESEE unless you can buy them for very cheap (50-70$)

Try to buy only the blade, make your own handle.
>>
>>989807
Bushalore seconded.
It's my go to currently.
$45 no worries about abusing the fuck out of it.
>>
>>992983
Surgical tools are made in Pakistan so it might be good.
>>
>>992358
Böker is a shit company.
They make contracts with knife producers to sell their products to them and only them.
Smaller shops have to get their knives from Böker for a higher price and are not allowed to sell them cheaper than them, or else that's it.
Böker has this deal with: CRKT, Cold Steel, Real steel, Al Mar, Master cutlery and Lionsteel.

There newly is some discontent for Böker in the German knife community and some youtubers, who are also sellers, speak about their experience with them.
It goes from ignoring to straight up threats against the small sellers.

TL;DR
Böker is shit

Get the HX outdoors survival straight knife from gearbest instead.
D2 (Yes really)
Kydex sheath (Not really)
And a fire steel that comes with it.
>>
>>993153
fair enough, sometimes I forget people don't edc large bowie knives in urban locations
>>
File: wwHR5018_1.jpg (6KB, 255x188px) Image search: [Google]
wwHR5018_1.jpg
6KB, 255x188px
what do you guys thing of hen&rooster knives?

ive always liked them for edc, never used one for out much.
>>
>>993501

I think they're not good mostly due to design and maybe steel. But if you like them, do what you do.
>>
>>993507
whats wrong with the steel?
>asking for a friend..
>>
So are Esse's worth their price point?
>>
>>993208
I own a Boker tactical folder with a titanium framelock and blade of steel made specifically for Boker. The materials, build and finish is on par with a decent custom knife. I didn't buy it to dig in the dirt though. That's what the 1095 machete's for.

>>993592
Are they a good value? Probably but there are custom makers with better knives for outdoor stuff.
>>
>>993592
For the micarta handles, kydex sheath and life time warranty. Maybe, but you really need those features to cut stuff?
>>
>>993725
Micarta provides traction when your hand sweats from heavy use. Kydex is bombproof, resilient, and grips a knife like nothing else. Warranties are about brand loyalty for companies like ESSEE.
>>
>>993739
great example of justified consumerism.

>b-b-but I need the micarta for traction

yeah because if it wasn't micarta it'd come flying out your hand at every opportunity right?
>>
Posting here to /r/ a good folder.

I need something that I can take to work. I break down boxes frequently, my current blade (1095) loses its edge too quickly.

I don't want a separate knives for /out/ings and edc, so it needs to be Jack-of-all-trades. I'm also pretty finicky about things being in my pockets, so slimness is a bonus.

Any suggestions in the $50-$150 range?
>>
>>994075
The chinese are Picking up at a high pace.

Kizer is a Russian company producing in China.
You don't pay for the brand name (yet)
Take a look at them. The best bang for the buck I can think of.
>>
File: 32402792351_255aeed7f7_k.jpg (625KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
32402792351_255aeed7f7_k.jpg
625KB, 2048x2048px
>>994075
Spyderco Delica Wharncliffe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11duh4bpYsg
>>
>>993929
>provides traction when your hand sweats
>flying out your hand at every opportunity
>provides traction when your hand sweats

>justified consumerism
How is socialism working out for your illiteracy?
>>
>>994302

Micarta itself has nothing to do with grip. The coarseness of the finishing grit will dictate grip.

If anything the reason to buy micarta is because it's inert and won't suffer from climatic effects in the same way as wood or leather would.

Tell yourself whatever you need to justify your gear fagging
>>
>>989763
you need a mora for dirty jobs and a fine knife for fine tasks.
>>
>>994075
a harder blade gets dull too, i prefer a soft steel because they are easier to sharpen, spend money on stones and a sharpening system.
>>
>>994310
>Micarta itself has nothing to do with grip.
It has everything to do with grip. Exposed cotton provides friction when it's wet.
>If anything the reason to buy micarta is because it's inert and won't suffer from climatic effects in the same way as wood or leather would.
If anything it's light weight and tough as shit. Stop buying knives with inferior materials. Your $20 mora is a fishing knife. Get used to it.
>>
>>994325
it probably doesnt matter either way. blade is a blade infinitely better than no blade.
>>
>>994327
moras are more like $10 anon
>>
>>989807
>Main tool
>Abuse
>baton

You know. If you use knife like it's supposed to be used, it lasts pretty fucking long, even if you use it everyday.
>>
>>993208
>HX outdoors survival straight knife
Thanks, that looks super good.
>>
>>995250
D2 varies widely in quality unless it is cryo treated. Custom knifemakers know the process for finding a good batch is a costly one.
>>
File: batonning.jpg (140KB, 561x686px) Image search: [Google]
batonning.jpg
140KB, 561x686px
>>989763
You'll be fine as long as you pay for quality and not a brand name.
>>
>>994460
If you use a tool for it's traditional purpose then you're having it lugged around by your traditional packmule.
People carry a knife out on a day hike, weekend thing, baton the crap out of it and destroy it over the course of however many trips. That's fine.
>>
>>990308
My grandpa gifted me his L66 about a year back, love the knife even if it doesn't hold an edge that long, but way easy to sharpen up. Means more that it's a family heirloom.
>>
>>994149
Spyderco is the biggest fucking meme knife out there.

>>994075
Get a Griptillian or Barrage
>>
>>995488
>if you use a tool for it's traditional purpose then you're having it lugged around by your traditional packmule.
do not understand this metaphor, are you implying knives are heavy?
>People carry a knife out on a day hike, weekend thing, baton the crap out of it and destroy it over the course of however many trips. That's fine.
its fine in that its not my problem, but it is ill advised. im not sure why you would need to baton on a day hike anyways.
>>
>>996960
>Spyderco is the biggest fucking meme knife out there.
how so?
>>
> 10 years ago, hyped by Ray Mears, got Gerber LMF/Prodigy whatever
> got into the woods, the knife was too bulky and shitty to do anything
> got meme mora 2000 before /out/ was made, took it everywhere since, still have it
> forgot about gerber before this thread

Mmememora > tacticshit
>>
File: muh knives.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
muh knives.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
>>989763
>worth it
depends on what you mean by that.

i love my ESEE 6
would i take it over my cheap as fuck Mora classic in dire cercumstances, honestly? no.
is that because i prefer scandi grind? maybe,
do i love how i can BEAT THE FUCK out of my ESEE and it just smile up at me and asks for more daddy yes yes please.

i say give it a good fucking while before you decide. really think about what you want, think about grinds, what you want to do with the knife

stop thinking about the SOMETHING THAT`LL LAST meme, unless you buy off of chinese ebay, anything reasonable will last, abused my mora classic worse then my ESEE 6 and the Moras still fine

> and remain effective
maintainance is up to you, learn it, maintainance gear is almost more important IMO
>>
File: etu6.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
etu6.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
I JUST welded stainless steel plates onto Fallkniven A1 and F1 blades. You will laugh and maybe vomit, but I use these all the time. Original hanldes failed, new wooden also failed, epoxy failed... Now it's time for steel handles. Will post pics after finishing modeling and sandblasting.

Yes, I'm an orc.
>>
>>997421
gezus
>>
>>997421
well that definitely won't fuck up the heat treating of the blade
>>
>>997893
i don't think it will, i'ts not that much heat
>>
>>992883
CRKT MINIMALIST BOWIE FTW

Seriously love mine. (Knife on the far left of pic)
>>
>>992883
That knife in the middle, second from right. Anyone know what it is?
>>
>>997421
dis gonna be gud
>>
>>997421
>Original hanldes failed, new wooden also failed, epoxy failed
Wtf do you do with your knives and how does the handle fail before the blade?

>>998022
Black blade? Looks like a ka bar becker bk15 with micarta scales.
>>
>>998059
>Wtf do you do with your knives and how does the handle fail before the blade?
this it's insane to even make the original handles fail.
>>
>>998063
could be because of his enviornment
>>
>>998059
>>998063
Fallknivens are considered as meme knives here. They are not. I fucking USE them. F1 as diving knife (handles were filled with sand/salt after 1 month, as all-round tool in the woods (wooden oak handles got wrecked by moisture), as kitchen knife (epoxy handles got soften after 3 years for some reason). Man, just fuck this shit, stainless steel it is. I will post pics when I finish them.

Original F1 handle is thinner than normal because it is a pilot knife and it is designed to be used with thick gloves, I don't need that. A1? It's dumb to equip that yuge blade with thin rubber handle.
>>
>>998059
>how does the handle fail before the blade?
you are doing it wrong if it is other way around. only drunktard or retard will waste a blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKtLBtt5PZA

one must be a real ape to trash A1 blade
>>
>>997421
So... rather than destroying the tempering, why not weld the grip together separately and bolt them onto the blade?
>>
>>998068
i think this is the better way. i did make 45 min pause during welding and i protected the blade with thermal paste so tempering remained fine. welded with mig all around a4 inox (marine) it should be really good when i grind off all excess. finish will be sandblasted with glass particles on 20 bar (don't know how much psi that is)
>>
>>989763
After about $100 you start getting diminishing returns when it comes to what youre getting out of it unless you actually need a specialized knife for something.

$250 - $300+ you're just buying your self a fancy toy.
>>
>>992785
Tanto blades are for stabbing shit.
If you regularly need to stab shit then get a tanto blade.
>>
>>990306
Spend a little more and get an Ontairo air force knife
>>
>>989763
I don't know if you already have your answer, but my suggestion is yes, you definitely invest in something expensive. A good knife will last you a long, long time. They perform so much better than cheap ones, even to the point that they are a joy to use. What knife to get really depends on what you will use it for the most. If you intend on doing mostly carving with maybe some other tasks, then I would go for a scandi ground knife such as a condor bushlore, any helle knife, a tops bob, a spyderco bushcraft, benchmade bushcrafter, or a puukko made by varusteleka (they also sell some puukkos from other brands, too). If you are doing a large variety of things, including batoning, shelter making, and just general camp tasks, a flat ground knife such as an Ontario blackbird sk5, an ontario cerberus, a tops pasayten, and my personal favorites, which I think you should get and the ones you have pictured, ESPECIALLY KNIVES. If I were going to be building a lot of shelters, doing a lot of batoning and lots of very tough work, I would go for an ESEE 6 as it is long and heavy enough to chop and baton well, it is able to be choked up on for carving and finer tasks, and it is just great for general camp tasks. If you're not going to be batoning or chopping very much, I would go with the ESEE 4. You also talk about not wanting to damage the knife. A great thing about ESEE knives is that if you break it in any way whatsoever, they have a lifetime warranty, so you just send it in and they will replace it for absolutely free. Great thing! If you go ESEE 6 I would also carry an Opinel to do very fine tasks like whittling, because the ESEE 6 is slightly too big to do very fine tasks, but can still do carving and feathersticks.

BUY AN ESEE, STUPID
>>
>>998297
That should be 'ESEE KNIVES' instead of "ESPECIALLY KNIVES" lol
>>
>>998129
I have one of these laying around someplace. I had no idea it was actually more than just another piece of crap.
>>
File: 1431267078707.jpg (488KB, 1000x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1431267078707.jpg
488KB, 1000x1926px
>>997421
>>
>>998342
They were standard issue in the air force, that alone should be a sign.
But they have a reputation of being build like a truck.
>>
File: trank.jpg (141KB, 1000x883px) Image search: [Google]
trank.jpg
141KB, 1000x883px
>>998391
>>
>>989763
>Is investing in a good 'higher price' knife worth it? Or should I just get a basic mora?

Mora's are a good as higher priced knives.

The Companion, for example, is cheap because they make a billion of the things.

Their new "full tang" one is 4 times the price simply because they've made few of them.
>>
>>994075
I've been edcing an esee zancudo since early 2013 or so lol. It was cheap (probably still is), easy to sharpen, and it cuts things. I used it for general shipyard tasks for a while, now it mostly opens boxes and cuts up food. I'll post some pictures tomorrow if you want.
>>
File: dropforgehunter.jpg (103KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dropforgehunter.jpg
103KB, 600x600px
Lookie at what I got for myself
>>
>>998875
that handle looks uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>998878
It's like holding a thick wrench
>>
>>998878

Those are not made very consistently either, the blade is often a little askew and the grind is also not consistently well done. But if you don't care then whatever, it still pokes stuff.
>>
>>998887
That's pretty much every cold steel product ever
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>989763
I've never had good experience with cheap knives. Then, I've never owned a Mora. I hear nothing but good things about them, so I'd definitely give them a shot if I didn't already have what'll probably be the last utility knife I ever need (which also happens to be the most expensive one I've ever bought). Seriously an awesome knife.
>>
File: cima 1.jpg (74KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
cima 1.jpg
74KB, 1001x1001px
i kinda want to throw the $20 at pic related just because of the product description on amazon
>People who like outdoor sports all want to own a smoothly hunting knife. CIMA-1, which is made of 7CR17MOV steel. It is a whole Tang outdoor hunting knife. It should have 0.5 pounds or so, this kind of flax textured micarta handles, non-slip, wear-resistant. Six six-star screw firmly to the blade and the handle fixed together, feel is very good.Here is its number, each knife number is unique. Like this is a CIMA-1 No. 3782 knife.Here CIMA KNIVES 7CR17MOV, 7CR17MOV is this knife steel model. The hardness can be reached 58-60HRC after quenching. The features of stell are many, hard, toughness, to prevent rust and so on. Full-Tang hunting knife is durable, not easy to damage, and CIMA-1's blade is very thick. The gear is non-slip , can also be used to friction magnesium rods flint. Look CIMA-1 blade, own the perfect blade process and very sharp.Knife's tail has a tactical hole, you can wear a rope made of rejection knife, easy to cut off the high branches . Let us look at the CIMA-1 scabbard, which is a ABS sheath, is very convenient and beautiful. It also can protect the knife and easy to be carried.In addition, the gift box packaging texture is very good .
>>
Mora is not worth money. Why? Because you can use any kitchen knife instead Mora. I like convex blades because sharpening is somehow natural. Some day i will get myself one of them Bark Rivers.

>>997421
SAVAGE MANIAC!
You must post more pic of that monstrosity after it is done
>>
>>998936
It's handle heavy and the sheath is a pos. With a longer blade this knife would be great for its price. I mean it looks and feels like a very well made knife. Too bad it's made of chinese shit steel.

Seriously, save your money for a better knife made of better steel.
>>
>>997421
leather wrapped steel handles cloud be interesting
>>
>>997413
Mora classic 2 is one of my favorite knives.
>>
File: strek.gif (967KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
strek.gif
967KB, 245x180px
>>997907
>not that much heat
>enough heat to melt 2 pieces of metal together
>>
>>998342
dont listen to >>998391
its a meme.

These are combat knives, they're meant to stab the spine is meant to be for tearing through the aircraft skin but otherwise its the equivalent of using a kitchen knife.
>>
File: 20170307_225524.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170307_225524.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>998928
helle is meh. I have a blafjell and the blade started to bend just from regular use. I've never had any other knife bend but this started bending after one day /out/.
>>
>>998391
they have nice steel but it's partial tang
>>
>>999272
You do know what a combat knife is for right?
>>
File: P1051858.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
P1051858.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>999282
If you're doing something that'll break or bend this tang then you're doing it wrong.
>>
If you're looking for a big choppy knife, then I recommend the Schrade F26. It's like $30.

Just remove the hollow grind.
>>
>>998129

I've heard they are decent for the price but the "saw" grooves on the spine are useless and actually hinder some tasks.
>>
>>990275

Just be aware that once you hit about the $150 mark, you won't get much more for the extra money.

ie. The quality difference between as $50 and 100 knife is big, but the difference between a 150 and 300 knife is small when t comes to actual useability.
>>
>>999306
They dont have any real use unless you need to escape from a burning aircraft, but i dont see how they're any kind of problem.
>>
>>999291
>Just remove the hollow grind.

wat.

you realise a hollow grind is the blade stock being CONCAVE in edge profile. You gonna add more metal back to the blade or something, friendo?
>>
>>999288
exactly...unless you are being a complete fucking moron you are never going to break that knife. My only qualm with it was that it came with a pretty shitty factory edge on it, but after a good sharpening it is a fantastic little knife.

>>999272
...I haven't seen many kitchen knives with 3/16 thick 1095 phosphate coated blades. That spine that is only good for tearing through aluminum is also actually pretty good for making saw dust to catch a spark.
>>
File: 1492964440170-1615731406.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1492964440170-1615731406.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>999309
This I'd say. On the same note, don't be afraid of higher priced knives like Benchmade, even if they're not the very best at something. Get what makes your happy! Like this 810 Contego (I wouldn't get a folder as your main out knife, I just like showing my Contego

>pic related, named it Pale Horse because I wanted 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, so far this is the only one
>>
>>999287
you're probably thinking of a Fairbairn-Sykes when you hear "combat knife". Modern "combat knives" are heavy knives such as KA-BARs which serve as multipurpose tools, one of which is being used as a Bayonet, which is used in a stabbing fashion only. due to their multipurpose role, clumsy weighting, and large size, they aren't exactly graceful.
>>
>>999506
I saw a test of that knife that broke the blade around the pivot pin. Great lock, shitty engineering. The test was for the locks, same pressure applied, and a couple others failed, but none broke the blade like that. Cold Steel had the best results overall for abuse.
>>
>>990308
Ah so that's what my L66 used to look like. It's like seeing a pirate when he was 14 and hadn't set foot on a dock yet. My L66 looks like hell and I love it
>>
>>998941
>Mora is not worth money. Why? Because you can use any kitchen knife instead Mora even though the price would be the same and the mora is better designed for the task and comes with a sheath.

As a guy that uses an Old Hickory, you're retarded
>>
File: knife.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
what does /out/ thinks about this knife ?
also . if anyone recognizes the knife , could he tell me what is it ? i dunno the name , bought it off phlea market for 30 eurobucks ... but overall its good
>>
>>999288
you mean like cutting out a fucking plane?
>>
>>1000418
What the fuck is Old Hickory? A burger?
>>
>>1000419
that is judenshatzer mk3
>>
>>1000419
going by the print and design, its an m7 bayonet. its also exceedingly beautiful
>>
File: hmmmm.jpg (13KB, 394x417px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.jpg
13KB, 394x417px
>>1000424
it doesnt got a hole for rifle to attach ... wanna more pics ?
>>
>>1000423
this
>>
File: P_20170424_092112.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170424_092112.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1000425
Here ... you can see it cant be attached to a rifle
>>
File: fällkniven.jpg (128KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
fällkniven.jpg
128KB, 600x422px
>>990078
Fjällräven? Did you mean Fällkniven?

Also, can anyone reccomend a good knife about the shape and size of the S1? (middle of pic related)
>inb4 S1
>>
>>990181
I'm considering the Terävä Jääkäripuukko you mentioned. Got any experience with it?

How does the carbon steel version compare to the stainless?
>>
>>999288
the weak point of these types of knives is the 90 degrees neck. fracture routinely happens there. same shit with kabars.

they should have made it more rounded.
>>
>>1000422
Carbon steel kitchen knives. They're like 10 bucks a piece in burgerland.
>>
File: lolumad.jpg (95KB, 1500x599px) Image search: [Google]
lolumad.jpg
95KB, 1500x599px
meme knife reporting in (?)
>>
File: knoif.jpg (75KB, 575x383px) Image search: [Google]
knoif.jpg
75KB, 575x383px
>>1000603
Your memes are no match for mine!
>>
>>998936
The steal is right shit. I cut lemons with it after I got it because it's the first thing I had to cut. Directly after cutting lemons, I washed it. When I went to use it next time there were rust spots all over it.

Not very good
>>
File: Bushcraft121012-03a.jpg (204KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
Bushcraft121012-03a.jpg
204KB, 950x633px
>>1000610
And one might say all of the knives pictured ITT are meme knives.
>>
File: IMG_20170425_161507.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170425_161507.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>998636
My zancudo. Such a good little folder.
>>
>>989763
go intermediate. do your research. find something that will make your life easier and is well made but at a reasonable price. above all get something that you like and fits your needs. Me, I've used a mora light my fire for several years but it suits my fly fishing in remote areas M.O. I don't think it'd suffice for the uses of a lot of other people out here though. Mora's are quite effective but they're also just generic knives and it's nice to have something nice that becomes part of your identity.

>>999291
unless things with schrade have changed recently I'd avoid anything that wasn't made prior to the china move. There will be a day when chinese steel is considered decent but I think it's still too soon.
>>
>>989763

Garand thumb recommends esee 5. He is also a SERE instructor for the military, so he does spend a good amount of time being /out/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqr59GXuuY
>>
Look, it's a perfectly fine idea to have this

1) one serious piece of metal
2) one super sharp piece of metal
3) one small piece of metal for random unimportant stuff

Camping or hiking may not require even any of them. More specialized outdoor activity may require all of them.

This board is for losers.
>>
>>994149
>Spydershit

These knives are made only for edgy little snowflakes.
>>
>>1001881

What do you carry?
>>
Anyone have any experience with Kershaw knives?

I personally have never owned or handled one.
>>
>>1001891

I just got the Cryo 2 a few weeks ago. I usually carry Aus 8, 1095, vg10 steel blades. The Cryo 2 is 8cr13mov, which is not my go to steel, this shit is easy to sharpen, only takes a few mins to get it from dull to shaving sharp.

Gonna get a dif kershaw in a few weeks, wanted to see how their lower line held up before I did.

7/10, would buy again.
>>
>>989763
Get a decent knife, but those that cost $250+ are for people who will show it off and keep it inside forever. Get something around $100 that you will beat to hell and wear down to fish filet knife from re-sharpening over your life
>>
>>989763
I was gifted a Winchester knife and its been tops for skinning and boning, and works well for splitting wood. Use what you can safely afford but just research a little before you buy. Not a single person camping or on the trail is going to call you a faggot for what gear you are actually using.
>>
File: fiskars k40.jpg (26KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
fiskars k40.jpg
26KB, 800x800px
Is the Fiskars K40 being discontinued? I bought one a month ago in a gift pack and it fit my hand perfectly like no knife ever has done, but now I can't find it anywhere
>>
Are the HX outdoors survival straight knife really that decent and not a meme knife?
>>
>>1001874
somewhat agree
>one serious piece of metal
hatchet or axe
>one super sharp piece of metal
carving knife (optional really only if you want to whittle)
>one small piece of metal for random unimportant stuff
folding pocket knife
>>
>>1001926
I found a few on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-KNIFE-FISKARS-K40-tourism-sport-22cm-hunting-blade-camping-ak-/252760758546?hash=item3ad9b71912:g:OmoAAOSwCGVX3xUm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knife-universal-Fiskars-K40-125860-/182537019495?hash=item2a800de067:g:OH4AAOSwRUhY99Sn
>>
>>992587
sauce pls
>>
>>991541
what knot is that? how would i tie it?
>>
>>994075
D2 steel

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON8867CB/ontario-rat-model-1-folding-knife-satin-d2-plain-blade-coyote-brown-nylon-handles

this is probably the greatest folder under $50. otherwise look into griptillian
>>
>>1002392
>otherwise look into griptillian
shit what am I saying. to hell with the griptillian, get the cold steel recon 1, the strongest folder on earth

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Recon-1-Spear-Point--34828
>>
>>1002152
Diamond knot or lanyard knot
http://www.animatedknots.com/lanyard/index.php?Categ=decorative#ScrollPoint
>>
File: XL Espada vs Apple.jpg (439KB, 2048x1169px) Image search: [Google]
XL Espada vs Apple.jpg
439KB, 2048x1169px
>>1000603
>>1000610
Sorry boys, real meme knife coming through
>>
File: not a lnife.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
not a lnife.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
>>1002872
That's not a meme...
>>
File: rambo knife.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rambo knife.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>1002872
>>1002883
...That's a meme.
>>
File: Cold Steel XL Espada taken apart.jpg (981KB, 2048x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel XL Espada taken apart.jpg
981KB, 2048x1128px
>>1002883
Tis a meme
>>
File: mentlegen.jpg (35KB, 501x365px) Image search: [Google]
mentlegen.jpg
35KB, 501x365px
>>1002889
>Not using the gentleman's version
What are you, some kind of barbarian?
>>
File: features-all.jpg (840KB, 1366x632px) Image search: [Google]
features-all.jpg
840KB, 1366x632px
>>1002872
>>1002888

step aside
>>
File: rawr am shark.jpg (31KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
rawr am shark.jpg
31KB, 600x503px
>>1002892
You make me laugh.
>>
File: Slightly modifide flashlight.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Slightly modifide flashlight.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1002897
>>1002892
>>1002891
I hate not using my own pictures but, this /k/ommando has me beat
>>
File: NORF.jpg (290KB, 528x2712px) Image search: [Google]
NORF.jpg
290KB, 528x2712px
>>1002902
/k/ is good at that sort of thing.
>>
>>990279
>I kept on breaking Mora knives
how the fuck did you manage that?
an esee 6 is only 46% thicker than a mora heavy duty for a much larger knife and also from a steel much less likely to snap than the 1095.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM

i suspect you are making this all up.
>>
>>989763
If you're going to be afraid to use a nice knife don't bother. My edc is a $250 auto fire folder from microtech. The fancy steel holds an way better than the yellow tag big 5 knives I used to carry. I also haven't lost it cause I spent enough to care. I never hesitate to use it though and it's been dropped 7ft onto asphalt beat on and otherwise abused. Holding up great but some photo fag would probably cry about it. I'd post a photo but I literally don't have one...not even sure of the model without taking it out of my pocket...some underwater team serialized bs. I got it cause I liked it and regret nothing.
>>
File: they see me rollin.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
they see me rollin.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>997413
What's that small fixed blade under the leatherman? Looks pretty neat desu.
>>
File: 35842586b86cbdc6cd.jpg (57KB, 578x900px) Image search: [Google]
35842586b86cbdc6cd.jpg
57KB, 578x900px
The Terävä Jääkäripuukko just restocked on Varusteleka, for those interested.

Just ordered one myself. My first knife, did I fuck up?
>>
>>1003298
Literally the best first knife purchase I've heard of.
>>
>>1003414
looks autistic senpai
>>
>>989763

Get a gerber mini magnum
>>
>>1003421
Good knife tho. Autists have good taste in gear.
>>
File: 201704282256.jpg (263KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
201704282256.jpg
263KB, 950x633px
>>989763
>>
I suggest a condor Garuda. I have one of the 5" ones and love the fuck out of it. It's a good in between. 1075 carbon steel 5mm thickness it'll handle anything you ask of it and beg for more. Handle is the tits.

http://www.bladehq.com/?search=Garuda
>>
>>1003808
That must be what passes for leather in El Salvador
>>
>>1003414
Feels good man.

Thanks
>>
>>992587
Sauce by god
>>
>>1003834
You joke, but Condor makes top tier leather.
>>
>>990187
>guess which I take to the woods with me
Buck 110?
>>
File: 1492068447371.gif (3MB, 336x335px) Image search: [Google]
1492068447371.gif
3MB, 336x335px
>>991953
>Noob must go learn proper memes
Lost wax Dendratic Cobalt ftw
>>
File: 1490162630660.gif (676KB, 299x199px) Image search: [Google]
1490162630660.gif
676KB, 299x199px
>>992565
Ebin
>>
>>992897
> recommended stones cost more than all of the knives
As it should be, grasshopper.
>>
>>990312
Got the one with micarta handle. Good knife, would recommend.
>>
>>1004139
I picked up a decent 240/800 combination stone on eBay for 20 quid.

Plus a few quid for some stropping compound that I use on single ply card board
>>
>>997907

Uhhhh...what?
>>
>>1001872
he actually recommends the esee 4 which is a totally different beast from the 5 they are almost inconceivable as being part of the same product line. the esee 4 has more in common with the 6 than with the 5.

the 5 is the same anti-tank type knife that bk2.

if you were getting a single knife from the esee line o would recommend the 4 too. but actually getting the 6 as a choppa and one of the izula/2/3 as the bush knife is probably better. it gives you the minimum redundancy you need in the blade department and the 5 is really overdoing it the 6 will get most jobs better except maybe cutting an armored vehicle open.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (224KB, 1512x935px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
224KB, 1512x935px
>>999419
Have you ever tried it? I have. I fell for the meme once. The teeth on the spine are as thick as the spine itself. So they're good to rip through thin metal but not even useful to saw through wood. Its not sawing through the metal, its catching and tearing it. It can't do that to wood.

and also
>muh phosphate coating
did you come straight from browsing the budk catalog for 15 hours? did you order the mystery value bag or whatever its called?

>3/16 thick 1095 blade
1095 isn't a hugely impressive knife steel. Its good, but its the basic bitch of carbon steels.
Having a super thick blade doesn't make a knife instantly better, it can make it worse for carving because it has to spread the material more... but you're probably thinking, "its better for batony tho!". Again, did you just come from the budk website?

Go slice 3 watermelons and a mountain dew bottle with you're zombie fighting katana, faggot.
>>
File: fkve69.jpg (109KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
fkve69.jpg
109KB, 1024x662px
>>1005265
Its been tested time and time again through the years since the Vietnam war era when it was used as a standard issue knife for pilots, i trust that more than i trust the opinions of someone who actually tried to saw wood with it.
>>
>>1005291
pilots do lots of woodswork don't they.
>>
>>1004958

You know the video is dedicated to the knives he recommends, that includes the esee 5 you dumbass, also have his reasons why too.
>>
>>1005435
What exactly do you consider "woodswork"?
>>
>>1005437
he specifically mentioned 4 or 5 times he recommends the esee 4 for a single blade solution anon did you even watch it? he also featured the bk7 he doesn't seem to recommend that much.
>>
File: tools.jpg (2MB, 3065x4597px) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
2MB, 3065x4597px
>>1005446
cutting, making notches, divots, feather sticks, food prep, that kind of thing.

What is NOT required is a bayonet derivative.

You do not need a full guard - as you do not need to stab things when camping.

You do not need a fuller for the same reason.

Carry whatever works for you, but you'd be much better off with a puukko if you intend to do wood work.

Pic related is what I've been carrying. I am also a fud fan of the mora1
>>
>>1000439

Cold Steek SRK in VG1

Or 3v for more toughness but it's a carbon steel
>>
Is an esee 4 and a junglas a good pair of blades to cover my bases?
>>
>>1002392
Got the Rat, heard good things about it. Gonna give it a go.
>>
>>1005546
It's tool steel, won't surface rust like plain carbon but it will pit if you don't keep your eyes on it, awesome steel though.
>>
>>989763
>>989763
>>989763

I know the feeling being a student still and not being made of money however. I've bought two knives in the past few years both of which I have beat the hell up and still kick ass.

The esee and the other being the Sog Seal pup elite with the straight edge.

Neither will die and both have been put through the paces
>>
Is the mora eldris good? I need a small knife fir opening boxes and shiet but i do not like folders
>>
>>1006997
I like my eldris alot. If all you're doing is opening boxes you'll be fine. It moves through wood like nobody's business.
>>
>>1007001
Is the eldris kit worth it or should i just buy the eldris itself
>>
>>1007004
I got the kit just so I had the extra button snap retention thing. My companion doesn't fit snugly in its sheath after 3 years of use. I figured the Eldirs might suffer the same problem and I primarily use it as a neck knife when /out/. I don't want it falling out. I could care less about the ferro rod (but it works well) & I have gobs of paracord.
>>
File: IMG_0319.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0319.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1007004
I keep a 3" chunk of innertube on the sheath for starting fires if I need it. It also adds to the aesthetic if ya ask me.
>>
>>997421
Considering you're welding dissimilar alloys, one of which is heat treated and you're obviously not doing any heating afterwards to relieve stress, I'd worry about cracking at the weld there.
>>
File: memekniv.jpg (21KB, 652x166px) Image search: [Google]
memekniv.jpg
21KB, 652x166px
>tfw finally gave in to an /out/ meme
>>
>>1008616

It's all you'll really need from a knife when /out/

If you need to clear brush, vines and weeds, then a machete is what you bring along.

If you need to cut up timber (more than just for kindling for a fire, which a Mora Companion can do), then you bring a hatchet.

The only thing the Companion lacks is a 90 degree spine, so you can't get a spark off it from fire starters. Fire starters suck compared to good old lighters/matches.
>>
>>1008626
pretty much what i decided. i have a killer fiskar's hatchet, and i don't even own a fire starter.
>>
>>999506
I got it in m390 steel, the blue and black micarta handle, their heat treat is insanely good on the m390, best knife I've ever owned.
>>
File: 1483911613648.jpg (43KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483911613648.jpg
43KB, 900x900px
>>1001891
I have a kershaw speed safe i bought at tractor supply for 15 bucks, Was on the clearance rack and i felt like giving 4chans meme knife a choice. The pocket clip was sleek and nice, allowed for a deep pocket carry, Knife felt slim against the body, and was comfortable to sit on with it in my back pocket. But the clip caught on a piece of metal while i was at work and it just peened right the fuck off.
Flew across the room and i never found it. So 7/10 annoyed it did that but its a sturdy knife.
>>
>>991541
>dem scales
In love. Yours? Bk-16 is the knife I'm gonna spring for on that magical day when I finally begin purchasing items for my INCH kit.
>>
>>994075
Why wouldn't you just use the proper tool for the job? i.e. a BOX CUTTER. It's also going to be your cheapest and easiest to maintain solution.
>>
>>989763
You will never NEED a knife better than a mora. Want is a different matter.

You will, however, need a better sheath than a mora and it's damn hard to justify spending more on a sheath than the knife.
>>
>>1005291
ok so either I'm not knowledged on the topic and haven't tried to saw through wood or I have tested it and know what I'm talking about but I'm autistic for even trying? You're fucked.

Its a shit knife for woodworking, deal with it.
>>
File: IMG_20170505_191326.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170505_191326.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Just got a CRKT m16-14D as my birthday present to myself.

Copper color is beautiful, but its kinda large and fucking amazon sent it in a plastic baggie, no box, no extra clip or screws or allen key to move it.

Not my camping knife, but im /out/ inna field every day for work and itl come in handy rather than using my benchmade.

Or I can keep this one nice and use it as my "fancy" knife
>>
>>999506
>named it Pale Horse because I wanted 4 horsemen of the apocalypse
how's being 17 going?

also
>black handle
>the pale horse
>>
>>1008616
>>1008626
You forgot to mention that it is a shit knife for food prep. This however is the only quality I've found to be truly lacking in any way shape or form with the companion.
>>
>>994460
what if you want to have a little fun with a 25 dollar knife? like i don't know, maybe you feel like throwing it, or battoning something bigger because its fun or just fucking around in general.

its not a big deal my dude
>>
File: Tanto_blade_styles.jpg (122KB, 800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
Tanto_blade_styles.jpg
122KB, 800x1013px
>>992864
>The American Tanto tip
yeah it's interesting when i looked up tanto historical examples absolutely none had this type of tip called tanto today.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (153KB, 2500x1265px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
153KB, 2500x1265px
Recommend a knife between 6"-7", Wide enough spine to take a beating, full tang with pummel, finger and thumb guards.
Would like to find a knife with a Cold Steel SRK type blade and a guard like a ka-bar
>>
File: right.gif (1MB, 351x324px) Image search: [Google]
right.gif
1MB, 351x324px
>>1008853
Of all the m16s to choose from you got the one with serrations and a tanto point.

It's a good knife, but you got the worst blade.
>>
>>994075

Spyderco Delica

It's all I've used for EDC, and it works fine for such.
>>
>>1008972

You don't want a clip point if you're going to beat it through wood; the Cold Steel has a small one

You want a drop point style blade

Sadly, drop point blades tend to be bushcraft knives that don't come with guards

So, if you want a utility knife that you stab shit with, get something like the KA-BAR
>>
>>1008914
how shit? i don't do much food prep where i'll be relying on it for that. slicing hard cheese or salami, spreading peanut butter, or maybe cutting up an apple or pepper is about all i'll need. i don't fish or hunt, so i don't need anything for fresh meat.
>>
>>1009066
I was specifically looking for tanto/half serrated, my benchmade is the same way. Its been my favorite blade style.
>>
>>1009115
There are more efficient grinds (full flat) that will slice your salami and cheese with less effort. You'll spend less time cutting. Its not that it wont cut the stuff its just slower than other grinds.
A thinner scandi like a marttiini is also more efficient. You'll sacrifice the robustness with a thin knife like that though.
Don't get me wrong. I love my companion. Its just not my favorite thing to use for food prep.
>>
>>1008914

It does a middling job with food prep; better than the prybars and utilities, but not as good as lots of folders
>>
>>1009184
>cutting my salami slightly slower
lol. i think i'll find a way to survive. somehow.
>>
>>1009195
yes.
>>1009214
All I am getting at is there are better knives for food prep that also cut wood very well. So the companion is a bit of a compromise. I'd rather be doing other things around camp than prepping food. The companion is a great all around utility knife. Don't get me wrong. I stopped EDCing it because I found something that has less compromises for what I use my knives for. My companion now lives on my work bench & i still use it daily.
>>
I understand the need of a knife outdoors, but do you guys carry a knife on a regular day in the city?

I've been browsing /k/ knife threads and they all seem like collectors that take pics of their knives and never use them.

I also had a guy telling me he used his 200 bucks Spyderco for opening letters, cut strands from clothes and opening boxes, which I find extremely stupid.

What's your opinion?
>>
>>1009281
>I also had a guy telling me he used his 200 bucks Spyderco for opening letters, cut strands from clothes and opening boxes, which I find extremely stupid.

Why?

>What's your opinion?

I EDC a folding knife all the time and use it daily.
>>
>>1009271
>there are better knives for food prep that also cut wood very well.
that will compete with a $12 price tag?
>>
>>1009281
I used to EDC the companion. Now I EDC a Marttiini Artic Circle. I find having a knife useful in my job also in day to day life. I use it multiple times a day. Also I'm /out/ about 5 days a week so I find it handy to just have it on me at all times. I used to carry folders but I've lost to many of them so I stopped.
>>1009302
Yeah find one at good will. Christ. All I said was the companion isn't great at food prep. Its a fine knife all around though. Falling short on food prep is a legitimate observation I've made over a few years using the thing. It falls short. Period. Also I hate when people bring the price of the Moras into the equation. Its a great knife at $12 and it would be a great knife if it was $30. I think we can all agree that they are an undervalued product.
>>
>>1009285
>Why?

I'm going to elaborate. I said I edc some cheap chink slipjoint, the guy inmediatly went apeshit on me about shitty steel and stuff, then I asked him what heavy tasks did he need top tier stuff for, and that was his answer.

They also suggest high end knives to pretty much anyone regarding their needs.
>>
>>1009307
>find one at good will.
i do 75%+ of my shopping at thrift stores, and i have never found an /out/ knife at one.
>All I said was the companion isn't great at food prep
and all i'm saying is that i'm willing to compromise a bit for versatility and price.
>I hate when people bring the price of the Moras into the equation
why? price is an absolutely valid variable.
>>
How's the stainless steel on the Moras?

I've been debating about what folding knife pack on my fishing back (saltwater) but a Mora Basic seems way better option.
>>
>>1009319
All the knives I've purchased are less than $45. I was gifted a benchmade hunt steep country for my birthday this year. It's nice but sees almost no belt time. For me I feel like if I spent much more on a knife I wouldn't use it as much as I could out of fear of damaging it. That being said if you limit yourself to knives under say $25 you will be missing a whole world of knives. Both in blade shapes and grinds etc.
>>
File: big-siscors.jpg (47KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
big-siscors.jpg
47KB, 700x523px
>>1009319

I think you just had a bad conversation with an asshole.

If a guy wants to open boxes with a $900 limited edition folder, whatever. A knife collector might say "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" but it's the guy's knife.

As for suggesting high end knives for everything... opinions are like assholes. I'd just not engage if they're giving you a hard time you didn't open a letter with a $300 folder, due to it being silly.
>>
What is a good knife steel for cold and rainy conditions, Nothing to brittle, Should be easy enough to sharpen on a stone outdoors, If I encounter salt water do I just dry it well?
>>
>>1009307
>It falls short.
never noticed, it cuts as well as any knife. i don't do elaborate shit with it tho.
>>
>>1009404
Slice a fresh crispy apple with it than use a flat ground knife to do the same. The companion will slice until the bevel stops then the apple will start to split apart vs being cut. The flat grind will cut all the way with no splitting.
>>
>>1009387
12c27 or 14c28. I live in the PNW and use 1095, 1085, 12C27 & CPM S30V. I forced a patina on the 1095 blade and I keep it oiled and dry and have no issues. The 1085 I just use frequently oil occasionally and make sure its dry when I put it away. Ive had no problem when I make sure to do this. Only rust I had was back in march when I was camping. I really was struggling with the fire and neglected to make sure the blade was dry when I sheathed it for the night. Woke up with a bit of rust on the blade. A bit of stropping cleaned everything right off. I wouldn't worry to much about rust. You just have to pay a bit more attention when your using it.
>>
>>1009417
This is the best example I have heard given that explains the cutting difference of grinds.
>>
File: 20170506_165439.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_165439.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Might as well post this here. Does anyone know what specific model this is. Its an old Case knife.

Its do rusted and worn that I couldnt see the model number except that its a "Tested XX."

Googling it others, not this one
>>
>>1009441
Thanks anon. I try.
>>
File: griptillian.jpg (67KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
griptillian.jpg
67KB, 800x641px
>>989763
I got a benchmade griptillian woth $200 for only $70 after hunting around on Amazon for a bit and doing my research. I've had the thing for four years and used it every single day for work and its been absolutely incredible. Other than basic blade maintainence they're super easy to clean, open, close, and the construction is solid as fuck.

Once you go up a bit in price the difference is incredible. Obviously this one isn't mine, and the one I own is a bit more worn, but functionally its as good as they day I first got it. I know I sound like a Benchmade shill but it really is a great product as far as EDC workhorses go.

Tools are built to be put to work anon, use them!
>>
File: IMG_0356.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0356.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Here are all my knives. From most used (companion) to least used (benchmade). They are all good knives. I've got the most use from the companion. Simply because i used it as my EDC for three years. The Marttiini replaced it back in October and it has since become by far my favorite knife I own. It's just a joy to use. I got the eldris so to fill my neck knife gap. It's also a wonderful knife in its own right. Also is shit at food prep for obvious reasons. I got the green river sheep skinner to try out a flat grind. I like it but it's size limits my propensity to carry it. Best food prep knife I've got and it also does a good job of working wood. The benchmade I've only had since the end of February. My only complaint with the knife is the exposed tang. It has ridges on it which make it uncomfortable when you really need to dig into wood. Also the sheath blows so it doesn't see much belt time. I certainly don't feel I need any more knives. When the Marttiini gives up the ghost I'll probably replace it with another.
>>
>>1009281
i carry a skeletool cx edc 99% i use that blade.
i also carry a cs mini recon but that's more for a backup and in case i really have to stab someone in the skull i think i only use it like once a year.

>>1009417
now why the fuck would i cut apples up before eating them?
i usually slice bacon, bread, cheese, sometimes red meat, cut cordage and tough bags, make spits and that's about all what i use a knife for when out.
>>
>>1009497
>It's also a wonderful knife in its own right.
i can only see it good at maybe whittling but a bit too thicc.
>>
File: 911VnwmCSOL._SL1500_.jpg (117KB, 1500x994px) Image search: [Google]
911VnwmCSOL._SL1500_.jpg
117KB, 1500x994px
50.00€
<--
>>
>>1010425
>carry a rope in your neck
i never understood this shit
>>
>>1010433
make the knot slippery and stop sperging. being said, i agree
>>
File: il_570xN.509257534_ofiv.jpg (24KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.509257534_ofiv.jpg
24KB, 570x428px
>>1010433

I usually install a plastic break. They're really inexpensive. I agree I don't want a rope around my neck either. They're similar to pic related.
>>
>>1010440
>>1010452
>Jewelry for $500 Alex
>An object worn round the neck
>What is a necklace Alex.
Seriously though is really is a non issue. Maybe if you're in a fight someone might grab it. The likely hood of it strangling you while /out/ is incredibly low. Don't be so paranoid. And as another anon said slippery knot if you're worried.
>>
>>990306
Mora companion hd for $20
>>
>>990755
Get a mora companion stainless if you don't wanna worry bout rust
>>
>>1011183
generally if unsure what knife to get, get a mora companion stainless!
best fucking advice. i bought one to practice shit with and figure out what i want from a knife before i buy some expensive piece. guess what it has everything i want from a knife. case closed.
>>
File: 1000 hours diagram.png (17KB, 492x809px) Image search: [Google]
1000 hours diagram.png
17KB, 492x809px
>>999351
>You gonna add more metal back to the blade or something, friendo?
>>
File: IMG_0142.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0142.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>1009281
Pic is the sheath I got for it from Etsy but I edc and hike with a benchmade hidden canyon. This and my buck 55 are what I carry. Sometime my benchmade griptillian instead
>>
>>1007012
could you elaborate on that nylon wrap
>>
>>1008616
mors kochanski uses mora which means it will do what you need it too. granted, the woodsman kit is often mora + axe, not mora as a one-tool-option
>>
>>1000566
That's exactly right.
>>
>>1001655
Badass cat.
>>
>>1001655
Badass cat, man. 10/10 for the cat. Knife's alright too.
>>
>>1011985
Owner of that knife here. In which way can i help you out anon?
>>
>>1011986
>woodsman kit is often mora + axe
i have expanded mine with a saw recently. it's a convenience item but you have to indulge sometimes.
>>
>>1012051
saw is a definite, yea. saw and wood chisel and youve multiplied the possibilities
>>
>>1012053
if you have to cut a live branch off it's definitely better with a saw. otherwise it's just faster after a certain diameter and neater.
>>
>>1012061
>>1012053
>>1012051
I often leave the axe at home and just carry the saw. Especially if I'm going further /out/. You can still split wood with it if you need to. Just need to learn the technique.
>>
>>1012218
an axe can do so much more than split wood. but it will split wood ten times faster than your silly saw wank method.
>>
File: IMG_20160606_203929.jpg (1MB, 1956x1151px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_203929.jpg
1MB, 1956x1151px
I own a lot of knives and for the most part I use a mora #2 as my primary bush knife. I don't do anything stupid like splitting seasoned oak, and it's still going on 3 years of use. I like it for how easy fine carving work is. I just use a axe and saw for the more heavy duty stuff. If I'm packing on tool with me and weight isn't a issue, then it's the hudsonbay knife from condor. I believe I gave $50 and I have treated it like a red headed stepchild and it still avails.
Fancy knives are a good investment and can be fun to show off, but at the end of the day you need something that you feel comfortable with. I own striders, benchmades, dpx, and a bunch more high end knives which works great, but some of my favorites are mora and opinel. A
>>
>>1012265
Splitting wood is usually unnecessary. Id rather save the weight of the axe. Carry the saw & only split wood if I absolutely have too. Rarely do i actually need an axe. Sometimes i carry one.
>>
>>1010452
Pls describe how the plastic break works.
Will it break if like 10lbs of force applied on it or something?
>>
File: break.jpg (21KB, 720x206px) Image search: [Google]
break.jpg
21KB, 720x206px
>>1012374
>>
>>1001891
I've owned a couple of the leeks and they remain my favorite light use EDC. The assist open mechanism is among the best with a simple stud you depress. The point tapers too much though so you can't beat it up.
>>
>>1012334
>that fire tin
Does it have a magnifying lense on the top? If so I must say that is a neat design. Can/do you still use it to make charcloth? Perhaps a link to the product or a name?
>>
>>1003298

Just got it. Good knife. Very sturdy and came well sharpened from the manufacturer.
>>
>>1012383

Mine are sort of like that. Same basic concept. They're more like cups, so you stick the paracord, or whatever, through the bottom and knot it. One rim clicks into the other rim.

I have nothing against a good slip knot either, but don't like hard knots on things around my neck. To each his own.
>>
File: anger-management.jpg (31KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
anger-management.jpg
31KB, 600x300px
just in anons:
>gf be bitching about how knives are dull for years
>i see sharpening threads daily on /out/
>see vids about sharpening for days on straight
>think hard about what stones i want to buy fo a year
>finally buy stone
>start sharpening
>shit this thing is hard
>it just doesn't get sharp enough
>nothing is sharp enough
>fuck around for an hour with the blade
>utterly unsatisfied
>later on notice gf does not use the sharpened knife she uses the dull one
>ask her why the fuck?
>she tells me she just wanted a sharp knife not a razor
>she tells me she is too scared to use it
>mfw
>>
What do you guys think of a Mora eldris as a backup / whittling knife? Part of me wants it for the above reasons, but the other part of me just wants it cuz it neat.
I'm comparing it to the Mora 120, which has much better whittling capabitlity but no heavy duty capability.

What do you guys think? Can this serve a purpose as a side kick to my companion? Or should I let my companion carry the weight and get a 120 for carving?

Just look at the thing it's so cute

Also, to stay on topic, I think that there isn't much reason to pay >$100 for any knife.
>>
>>1013062
>he didn't know how to sharped knives and didn't have any stones
were you raised by wolves?
>>
>>1013099
nah it's just we had this pull through fiskars sharpener for the kitchen knives. i got finally fed up with the shit job it did.
>>
File: IMG_20161013_191540.jpg (1MB, 1836x2295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161013_191540.jpg
1MB, 1836x2295px
>>1012860
It does have a magnifier built in. It's a hudsonbay tin. I do not make char with it because it ruins the lense. I have a small altoids tin I use for that. But I keep inside flint, steel, char cloth, horse hoof fungus, fat wood, birch bark, pine resin, sulfur matches, and jute twine.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 585x900px
Just bought into the full tang meme and ordered the pukko 140 over the mora bushcraft black, did I do a goof
>>
>>1013249
Also to keep up the 23° secondary bevel what should I use? Are preset angle ones any good?
>>
>>1013249
A lot of people seem to like it. I'm thinking about getting the 110 carbon steel, looks like good value. Now if only the dollaridoo would go up so I could save a bit more money, fucking hell.
>>
Jesus Christ, the money you morons get conned into spending on snake oil shit like high end cutlery grade steel on camping and rugged use, tool grade knives is just fucking ridiculous. You are a lot of fucking morons.

Buy a good, knife made from a solid, quality, tool grade steel, learn how to sharpen it and use it properly, and you're all set. If you even need it in the first place.

Every man should need a pocket knife, but most of you are boys and you all know it. That's why you get sold on the shit you see in this thread. That's why you seek to be validated with "EDC" nonsense.

Christ, where were your fathers?
>>
>>1015022
Or, you know, some people collect knives? When I go out bush I rely on my SAK, Cold Steel SRK and a Schrade Sharpfinger. But at home I have about 30 knives because I like collecting them.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.