[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here city trapped? Anyone /NYC/ here? >Live in glorious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 1365153710545.jpg (11KB, 202x194px) Image search: [Google]
1365153710545.jpg
11KB, 202x194px
Who here city trapped? Anyone /NYC/ here?

>Live in glorious PNW for a few years
>Live in southern Nippo for a few years
>Used to all those amazing, accessibly hikes
>Move to NYC for career gains
>tfw haven't had a good hike in over a year

Anyone know any good, commuteable hikes? I don't have a car to drive up to the real states above me. Please rec, /out/, being a cityfag is suffering.
>>
>>988056
This entire stretch of the AT is can be access from 42nd Street. There is a bus to the PA/NJ from Port Authority and a train to the Appalachian Trial station (NY/CT) border from Grand Central.

In between there will be any number of NJ Transit buses and trains to North Jersey but you'd probably have to use a ride hailing app or taxi to get out of the suburb in question. There's nothing monolithic to be had, but Bear Mountain is a nice gateway to the Catskills. There are some urban "day hikes" around that are charming is a gritty sort of way:

Bay Ridge down to under the Verrazano then around to Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst - if you get tired you can grab a bus down to Brighton Beach for some Russian food in the late afternoon.

In Manhattan, the Hudson river park above 125th goes under the GWB and then either across to the Palisades or up to the Cloisters.

I've done Chinatown-Downtown Brooklyn and WTC-Downtown Brooklyn several times each.

Riis beach and Neponsit out on the Rockaway peninsula are pretty cool too. It's hard to believe you can be that remote and still in NYC proper. You can get out there on foot if from as far West as Coney Island via a footpath around to Floyd Bennet Field and then over a bridge. Eventually you'll get to the end of the A train.
>>
File: mnrmap.png (138KB, 2590x2299px) Image search: [Google]
mnrmap.png
138KB, 2590x2299px
>>988108
The sharp right-hand bend near the NJ/NY border is Port Jervis which is accessible at the end of a the West-of-Hudson train line at Penn Station.
>>
>>988056
>amtrak.com/northeast-train-bus-stations
You can also get near Lake Placid, VT and NH on Amtrak if you are taking a long weekend or something. ...at least until Dear Leader zeros out their operating subsidy as promised. Dartmouth College is in Hanover, NH so there are probably buses to that transit station too.
>>
Los Angeles here.

I'm fucking miserable.
>>
/out/ opportunities > career opportunities
>>
>>988108
>>988112
OP here, wew lad never imagined I'd be getting actual protips. I appreciate it, m8. I've done most of the 'urban' hikes just by lieu of walking a lot, but I'll take your other advice down. Thanks.

>>988273
t. starry-eyed babby
[But for what it's worth I actually really like what I do, isn't, and isn't leading to wageslavery.]
>>
little background jam for this thread

https://youtu.be/cpk8ym8iqWU
>>
My truck broke down on I95 when I was hauling equipment to long island. I ended up stuck in the bronx for 3 days, and met a few people that said they had never been out of the city. Is that shit common? Blew my mind.
>>
File: Pharaoh_Lake_Wilderness.jpg (638KB, 1021x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Pharaoh_Lake_Wilderness.jpg
638KB, 1021x1275px
>>988056
Dude, you live only a few hours away from the Adirondacks
>>
>>988130
Los Angeles here too.

There's a ton of great hiking around here (and no Griffith Park does not count). Just drive up highway 2 into the Angeles national forest and you'll see a bunch of great scenery and hikes. I recommend Josephine peak via Colby Canyon (trailhead is just off the highway).
>>
>>988108
+1 for bear mountain
>>
>>988817
>I actually really like what I do
What happened to "being a cityfag is suffering?" Sounds like you made your choice mate.
>>
>>988913
I can't say I have a clue about the East Coast proper, I moved here last month. Nice to hear.

>>989082
I'd say there's a huge gulf between enjoying your career and enjoying your outdoor time. I may enjoy my working hours, it's not having that good /out/fix in a while that's been killing me.
>>
>>988056
>move to "advance" career.
>can't afford car for some reason.
>sounds like you got tricked son.
>>
>>988056
My buddy lives in syracuse and has ro drive an hour for woods. Sorry. Try a park?
>>
>>988130
Go to pilot truck stops. Find the one with the bar next door and lids all over the lot. Walk up to roach coach. Tell him was the best chicken burrrito i have ever had. Tell him thank you for me.order chicken burrito and report back
>>
>>988839
Stuck in the bronx. Of all the shitholes. ...me too.
>>
>>989291
>car
>nyc
lmao

>>990148
read the thread and find a nice hike, anon
>>
>Toronto
JUST
>>
Fellow cityfag here,
>>988108
>>988112
>>988913
You're a lifesaver, anon.
>>
File: 1482785559288.jpg (92KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1482785559288.jpg
92KB, 1024x576px
>>993560
I picked Vancouver over Toronto for grad school for this exact reason, even though the opportunities given to me at Toronto were far better. Your anguish validates my decision thanks anon, just get out there bud
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.