[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hiking and camping alone when you're new and don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

>hiking and camping alone when you're new and don't have anyone to show you how

sup /out/, i have no friends, and want to try hiking and camping.

i've been hiking only two times, once was at "breakneck ridge" in new york when i went on vacation there. near the end i felt i might have been lost since i was the only one for a while on the trail

i've never been camping before
how do i not get lost?
how do i make sure i know how to get food, set up camp, and avoid dangerous animals?

how do i not be afraid of falling off a cliff? pic related, looks dangerous, especially without anything to hold on to
>>
Where are you from anon? The easiest way is to find a decent trail system in a recreational reserve and start hiking there until you feel comfortable moving further away from people and get a feel for being outside.
>>
>>987622
i'm from toronto

i am worried about getting hurt, if i'm not with a friend, what would i do? just wait to die, or for someone to find me?
>>
>>987583
>how do i not get lost?
GPS.
>how do i make sure i know how to get food?
Bring what you need or learn to hunt/fish/forage
>set up camp?
Bitch, you trollin'
>and avoid dangerous animals?
camping is the best way to avoid dangerous animals, the ones in the woods are pretty tame compared to the ones in the city.
>>
>>987679
>i am worried about getting hurt
You're more likely to get hit by a car than you are of getting mauled by a bear; stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>987680
>Bring what you need or learn to hunt/fish/forage
>set up camp?
no one has ever shown me how to do any of this

>>987682
what if i break a leg or something and can't walk?
>>
>>987688
Man up, learn first aid, and avoid accidents.
>>
>>987688
>no one has ever shown me how to do any of this
>bring what you need
Peanut butter, trail mix, ramen, oatmeal, Spam, cheeses, summer sausage are all calorie dense (light for the energy)
>hunt/fish/forage
You could spend a lifetime learning this and still not know everything. Stay away from mushrooms.
>what if i break a leg or something and can't walk?
Unless you have BBD, it's not something I'd worry about.

Get yourself a copy of the boyscout manual and the US Army field guide. Read them cover to cover enough times to ace a test. That'll be a good starting point.

Don't start any more threads until you have the capability to ask a more specific question than "how do I /out/?"
>>
>>987682
I disagree. I mean in just raw statistics yeah, but if you think about it , me for example, I drive a about two hours per day. I drive every day. I spend maybe 6 hours in the woods , however I'm not in major bear country, there's been sightings and tracks in the past but that's it. I rarely go to bear country, so that's maybe an average of 1/4 an hour every week. Not to mention when I do, only half of that is spent with food strapped to my back. I don't know if when I am with food strapped to back , in bear country, more likely to be killed by a bear then a car. But the odds are probably a lot closer of not the other way around.
>>
>>987688
chance of injury lowers with experience. so you can start with easy and well trafficked trips. And test your skills, like navigation in a safe environment and break in your gear. (avoid blisters with new boots etc)

for example go for a short walk in your gear in bad weather. you can just walk the city park and drive home after 1 hour. but this will teach you about your gear when wet and more.

then when you go somewhere more remote you can inform relatives, friends, or the local ranger station that you will do a trip.

just basic:
Trip: 3 night camping in national deathtrap forest,
departure: parking lot #3 Pine ridge sunday 9th at 8:30 am
expected return: wednesday april 12th. afternoon - evening
Car: blue 2007 range rover licence plate NY GT 331

route:
1 day: following hiking path 7 color green, direction snowfall peak, descent from snowfall peak via red Trail 3 to waterfall lake night camp at shore.

2 day: continue along waterfall lake on red trail 3. till crossroads with national long distance path E2. Westwards on E2 till grass knoll camp a storm shelter.

3 day: E2 westwards, north onto ridge line pass trail,
camp at old harris lumber mill or bear cave campground depending on weather.

4 day: return to parking lot via either path 7 color green or path 8 color blue depending on previous camp.

Attachments: map with included route, emergency contacts,

some areas even forms you can fill out
>>
Wtf
Bring trail mix
Bring a tent
Bring shoes

Use your shoes to walk somewhere
Use your tent to cover your body
Use your trail mix for eating

Go home the next day

There, now you have no excuse. Get off the computer.
>>
Id fucking kill to be able to hike alone again. Enjoy it, one day you'll have a wife and kid that love the outdoors and you will never be alone in the woods again.
>>
>>987583
Angels landing is piss easy. I did that shit in my merrel sandals with a slight rain.

Just go out there op

Alternatively, find a local state park and enroll in any of their volunteer programs. I was a state park trail assistant volunteer for 3 years
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.