[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you eat on the road as a poor traveller/backpacker with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: foodlist-day4.jpg (89KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
foodlist-day4.jpg
89KB, 575x431px
What do you eat on the road as a poor traveller/backpacker with no access to a kitchen?

I'm tired of bread, cheese, ham and fruit.
>>
hummus and crackers
nuts
peanut butter and crackers
powdered milk and cereal
>>
>>986294
>>
>>986294
Jerky
Hardtack
Pemmican
Water
Salt, Cumin, Black Pepper, Hot Pepper
Dehydrated fruits
Dehydrated vegetables
Kombu
Dried beans
Rice
Lard
>>
>>986294
try soups, like beef stew and prepare over stainless cookware/cup. It's what I do when I'm tired of the norm, yet still has the carbs, proteins, and fats. Stay away from junkfood on the trail. I'm a moderate fatass and it leaves even me feeling like shit.
>>
>>986294
Oats, musli, powdered milk, powdered potato mash, assorted soup mixes, salami, coffee, tea
>>
>>986315
beans take for fucking ever to cook. Do Lentils if you want some thing fast
>>
>>986294
A couple of jars of peanut butter go a long way. I like honey roasted.
>>
nuts, energy/our candy bars. doritos. tuna in a can, trail mix. try take it easy on heavy sugar/pure candy. can corn, green beans, pork rines, viannea sausage
>>
>>986668
sketios, slim jims, carrots, celery,spam,pork n beans, raviolies, sardines, that bagged already popped popcorn, tomatoes, lettuce, yeah you could always just get some dressing and eat salads. thats most the store.
>>
>>986315
>jerky
i like this option but wouldnt call it cheap or for the poor traveler. I also like summer sausage and my favorite are the dukes meat sticks, or any other similar meat stick with a "snap" that isnt mushy like slimjim

inb4 Raymond Noodles
less than 50 cents and you can eat em dry
>>
>>986666
checked satanic quads
>>
>>986564
A day later I use a thermal cooker to cook them while hiking or doing something else. They soak and cook in it. My interaction with the beans takes all of 10-15 minutes not including time to eat them. You should look into thermal insulation cooking. There's even a "Thermos Vacuum Insulation Cooker" for an expensive amount. You can easily DIY one with a container and some insulation (foam peanuts, towels, fiberglass, straw, etc). Google up:

Thermal Cooker
Haybox Cooker
Insulation Cooker

I suggest you make one for home testing from a pot with lid and about 5 bath towels. It is EXTREMELY simple to make. Just fold 2 towels up and set them on a table. Get some rice or pasta. Bring the rice or pasta to a roiling boil and place the pot with lid onto the 2 towels. Place the remaining towels on top and around the sides so there's a thick layer of insulation. (Note that this will work better if you wrap the pot in aluminum foil first.) White rice will take about 40 minutes while pasta and egg noodles take about 8 mins. Cooking times will vary depending on a number of factors.

Keep in mind the store bought thermal cookers are not as good as the DIY ones for efficiency and speed. They are however, much smaller and lighter than what most people make. I mean you could make one using Aerogel blankets and it would be small and amazing, but very very expensive.

FYI, any vacuum insulated carafe will work as an insulation cooker. The glass lined ones are better than the metal lined ones, as the glass ones transfers less heat out of the container at the neck. Meaning you can make rice in your Thermos/Stanly bottle. I use my vacuum insulated, glass-lined, Diamond brand carafe for that when hiking/camping. It takes practice to get a good system going, but it is well worth it. Be very careful you don't overfill these or expanding beans/rice could break them with disastrous results! I've never had that happen for the ten years I've been doing it.
>>
>>986675
>i like this option but wouldnt call it cheap or for the poor traveler.

I make my own. It is very simple. You can make jerky or biltong depending on your equipment/method and environment humidity. You can do this with any type of meat that isn't fatty.

Where I live and travel Ramen costs about $0.19usd per 2-serving packet. I break one in half and only use half of it per meal. I also add dried veggies and a bit of dried meat to it. I normally make my own egg noddles since I have chickens. I dry the egg noddles and have them for camping/hiking trips instead of store bought noddles or pasta.
>>
You should try to cut down on the processed shit if you can OP. Those preservatives and trans fats are not good for you. Dried fruit, nuts, jerky, cheese, packed veggies especially roots that can keep like carrots or radishes. Oats are pretty good too. Get a sterno and a pot and you can upgrade to potatoes or rice which keep for a long time. Raw fruit and veggies are pretty much the best food you can keep in terms of energy, but they are hard to use as travelling food because they're relatively quick to spoil, but somehow people don't realize that apples and oranges can keep for a week unrefridgerated.
>>
File: eVPiTo7NSEGG._UX970_TTW_.jpg (97KB, 970x600px) Image search: [Google]
eVPiTo7NSEGG._UX970_TTW_.jpg
97KB, 970x600px
get cho one of these for cooking . uses any twigs or leaves you can get your hands on
>>
>>986677
Those dubs tho. Peanut butter for the Road Gods.
>>
Tuna sealed in foil thats also soaked in virgin olive oil has a literal god tier mixture of calories to protein and also has omega and potassium and other stuff.

$50 worth of it will probably feed you for a month, too.

On top of that, dehydrated beans will hydrate in cold water in about an hour. $25 of these will provide about a months worth of food.

Bring multivitamins for calcium and other things, you onlu get about 10% of the nutrients they advertise but any added margin is a good thing especially when doing heavy physical activity.
>>
>>986668
>>986672
>canned anything
>on the road
>traveller/backpacker
You're not too bright, are you?
oz...lbs...pain
pack it in, pack it out
>backpacking with empty cans
>>
>>987326
uh, bury it?
>>
>>987331
besides empty cans are super light
>>
>>987326
>>987331
>>987332
Repackage everything my negro
>>
>>987331
Fuck you
>>
>>987380
haha joke guy.
>>
>>986564
dehydrated bro
>>
>>986294
instant oats in the morning and instant rice with a can of beans or tuna at night. some kind of cereal bar in between
>>987326
just squish em down with a rock, put it in a plastic bag and carry it out. if thats too much they sell tuna and chicken breast in little bags.
>>
>>986698
>That guy
>Woman
>Two kids

He ain't starving for shit in the wild.

Long pork all day.
>>
>Breaky - Muesli mixed with powered milk and protein powered, coffee or tea
>Lunch/day eating - fruit and nut, jerky, cured/dried meats
>Din dins- cous cous, powered eggs, anchovies
>>
>>986294
Unironically chewing on lollies or chocolate for a bit can give you massive energy boosts when you're fucking exhausted. When I went for a hike in the Australian Alps for about a week, I lived largely off dried fruit, weetbix (sort of like hardtack/cereal biscuits), and tuna preserved in lemon and oil.

Powdered anything is good, but bringing a bit of powdered gatorade is good for hydration and as a motivation because you can make several drinks out of a bag that weighs next to nothing and takes up no space. Dried and vacuum packed pasta and rice are pretty good as well, so long as you have sauces to mix them with.
>>
>>986762
Longlife tuna products and carbohydrates are probably the best foods in terms of what you get for your money and how much it weighs.
>>
>>986294
a combination of nuts a whole bananas
>>
the idea of pemican sounds intruiging to me but I can't buy it here for a fair price.

could I cut up some sausage and dried fruit and maybe bacon and make like a pemican inspired meat trailmix ?

or would this go rancid real fast ?
>>
Coffe and HOSTES COFFEE CAKES

They are so fucking delicious I bring them on every trip.
>>
File: IMG_5110.jpg (80KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5110.jpg
80KB, 480x480px
>>989028
I tried getting into pemmican too but it's either not real pemmican or too expensive to be worth it, even homemade. Smoked and salted pork sausages are just as good if you don't mind the sodium and can be added to soups, stews, ramen, powdered mashed potatoes etc. Forget pemmican unless you hunt yourself
>>
>>989028
Btw the purpose of trail mix isn't getting in your daily protein, so forget it unless you like the taste of adding smoked salted pork sausage bits
>>
>>989302
Most trail mix has nuts in it. A serving size is 1 cup and has 21g of protein.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5377/2

You only need 46-56g of protein a day.
>>
>>989305
You're still having regular meals, right?
>>
File: 20170410_204208.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_204208.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I'm on the Appalachian Trail now, this is basically what I eat most days.
>>
>>987974
How do you eat that much tuna without going as mad as a hatter?
>>
>>986672
>Celery

Why, are you trying to lose weight. Celery takes up space in your stomach and in your bag but doesnt offer any calories.
>>
>>989028
I read a book by Tom Brown and he said some of that stuff is still edible after 300 years or so from the natives.
>>
>>986294
Get a gas cooker?
>>
>>989314
>trucker's diet
>>
>>989648
You can eat anything when you're hiking all day
>>
Sunflower seeds are a gift of the gods.
Also raisins
>>
>>987383
I can see how it wouldn't be taken as such
Fucking fools dump garbage anywhere and everywhere. That episode of Trailer Park Boys where Ricky is dumping shit in a lake seems to be an actual mindset
>>
>>989648
>Hiker diet
>>
>>986294
red meat, peanut butter, and high concentration sugar items
>>
>>989314
>all those single use plastic wrappers
>>
>>987974
chub mackerel is cheaper at a larger quantity, and better ferda ocean
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.