[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning to do a 800km bike hike in August. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1491057835000.png (628KB, 700x482px) Image search: [Google]
1491057835000.png
628KB, 700x482px
I'm planning to do a 800km bike hike in August. I'm currently averaging about 20km/day. Any suggestions on how to prep?
>>
>>986050
Get you bike and go up in the mountains or just ride it as much. Or just get fitter than a jitter.
>>
>>986050
What kind of bike?
What kind of terrain?
Is it up and down or just up?
Longest you've rode?
>>
>>986050

Bring lots of protein and fats. Your body is going to be torn up.
>>
>>986066
Hybrid
It's gonna be highway mostly
3km uphill, 3km downhill according to google maps.
Around 50km in one day right now.
>>986063
Got any specific advice for that?
>>
>>986050
Ok so for 800km I assume that you're gonna camp and shit. Then you should get really fit since you're gonna be carrying your tent, and all of your shit as well.
>>
>>986070
Not really. I'm not a bike expert but I used to kind of bike.
>>
>>986071
Sleeping bag, one change of clothes, something warmer, two spare tires, 2l of water on me at all times, very basic tools, bike lock, emergency snacks, wallet, phone, keys. That shouldn't weight more than 3-4kg.
>>
>>986070
How many km per day? You need to make sure you can do at least 80% of the days trek comfortably (you don't have to but it will make it easier). One of the most difficult aspects of long endurance rides is being up in the saddle for that long. Get a cheap trainer or something and do 100km in a day.
>>
>>986078
I was planning to hit around 100km every day, yep. Just keep ramping up my max distance? Do you have a guide for that?
>>
>>986050
>I'm currently averaging about 20km/day.
is that all you have time to do, are physically able to do, or have just decided to do? because realistically you're going to want to at least double that before you start.
>Any suggestions on how to prep?
if you don't already have them buy saddlebags for your bike. you don't want to bike 500 miles with a backpack.

>>986070
>highway mostly
enjoy your black lung from sucking car exhaust for that long
>>
>>986080
>20km
It's what I currently ride whenever I go to school and back. I pulled 50km in much worse shape once. I'll try to do an endurance ride this weekend and report back.
>saddlebags
That's a really, really good idea. Thanks.
>enjoy your black lung from sucking car exhaust for that long
Thanks man, you too
>>
>>986079
For me it's not really about distance it is about being comfortable in the saddle. Anyone can do 80-100m (sorry, burger here) if needed, the key is conditioning yourself to do it comfortably.

Training would be different for anyone. Do a 100km and notate when you start feeling uncomfortable. For example in training sessions

1 - 100km (uncomfortable at 80km)
2 - 60km
3 - 70km
4 - 80km
5 - 100km (uncomfortable at 90km)
6 - 90km
7 - Try 120km
8 - Try 130km

This is just an example obviously and would depend greatly on your training schedule, motivation level, hydration/diet and tolerance.
>>
>>986083
How would you define uncomfortable? What should I look out for?
>>
>>986085
exhausted and pushing yourself when you would rather just stop.

This will be different if using a trainer though since you can just hop off and you are already at home.

Only you will know when you are truly uncomfortable. I know when I am uncomfortable as I start having a harder time zoning out and my mind starts making excuses for me to turn around or take a break.

I am different than most though so YMMV. I spent a few years running multiple miles, rucking across mountains and in general intense physical training. Picking up biking, even years after the above training, was extremely easy for me.
>>
>>986050
>20km/day

Wtf dude, you can walk that. Actually get some cycling training in and you will manage at least twice that much.
>>
>>986089
Thanks a lot, this response is pure gold.
>>986092
That's just my passive performance. I just started biking again. I have 3 months to get in better shape, do you think it's doable?
>>
>>986094
3 months is doable.

I trained with a guy that picked up the bike after no physical exercise EVER and he was able to do a 180mile 2 day ride with me after 4 months
>>
>>986075
You don't sound prepared at all.

First, on most of the earth, it rains. You probably don't want to be sleeping outdoors in the wet, sleeping indoors in wet things, or riding exposed in the wet. Prepare for this. I (and a lot of other touring cyclists) use a tent and waterproof panniers. There are ultra-light ways to keep yourself dryish, but weight doesn't matter a whole lot on a bike.

Second, tires should last you 800 km. Bring spare inner tubes, along with what you need to patch them (the kits are tiny and cheap). One spare foldable tire is justifiable, especially if you're heading /out/ into the middle of nowhere, but if you think you need 2, just get better tires and/or eyes.

Third, you're going to want to eat. Food has mass. It may be possible to survive on a couple granola bars and what you buy at restaurants, but you'll probably be happier if you're carrying food, preferably a lot of of it.

With all that said, 800 km isn't an absurdly ambitious first tour, so you shouldn't have tremendous problems finishing as long as you still want to. You may be uncomfortable for the week or so it takes you, but making it through that sort of thing is more about mental strength than physical strength. If you want to be comfortable doing 10 times that distance, there are a bunch of investments you should look into. Luckily you're much more likely to get away without proper food, shelter, clothing, etc on a short trip close to civilization.

Good luck, bro.
>>
why do you need 2 spare tires for only riding 500 miles? What type of shit tires do you buy? Maybe you meant tubes...

Also don't carry a lot of shit. Buy lightweight stuff and carry only what you NEED to not die. Most of your weight will be food unless you have access to stopping at grocery stores or places to eat every day. PANNIERS are your friend, so is a frame bag and a handlebar bag for light but bulky items. Revelate Designs is an example of good bike gear.

Spare tubes, Spare 2-4 sections of chain link, spare spokes / spoke repair kit. Spare brake pad pair, spare cleat if clipless, 2 oz bottle of Stans, valve core remover. Zip ties / velcro straps.
>>
>>986050
20 per day is a fucking joke, even for harsh terrain. thats an hour of biking every day. i did the st. james way in spain (a bit over 900km) by foot, and it took me 5 weeks, mostly mountainous or flat terrain. there are people there who do it in less than a week with a bike. 100km per day is reasonable for a person of average fitness.

i would suggest getting intel on what terrain youre dealing with, what altitudes youre travelling at, can you drink tap water where youre going, stuff like that.
>>
>>986096
ms150 bro is that you?

>>986050
20km a day is good, if you're doing hill circuits.
only training on flat terrain should be a weekly ride that is about 5 times as long as your daily regiment. teach you how to deal with head wind, keep a moderate pace. heart rate monitor is best bet. 140bpm is solid.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.