[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gonna be a weird thread but, Anyone got experience with the shelf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: Woodlice, Meal.jpg (37KB, 527x396px) Image search: [Google]
Woodlice, Meal.jpg
37KB, 527x396px
Gonna be a weird thread but,
Anyone got experience with the shelf life of a woodlouse? I have an infestation in my house and I was thinking of changing my situation from an INFESTATION to a FREE RANGE FARM. They're not eating anything in the house- the problem is that they come in and then die near the area they're entering from. I tend to find them on their backs, unmoving.
What I want to know is- how long does it take these bugs to spoil after death? How long do they last in a fridge? I'd like to gather at least 50 of them for a meal and that might take a day or two.
>>
>>983769
just collect them and toss them in a bag in the freezer. you could try and pickle them or soak them in beer before frying.
>>
>>983769
>how long does it take these bugs to spoil after death? How long do they last in a fridge? I'd like to gather at least 50 of them for a meal and that might take a day or two.

>Gonna be a weird thread,

Well said
>>
>>983770
I'm just going to boil them in water and serve them straight with potato. Maybe a bit of butter. They do call 'em potato bugs for a reason.
>>
Fucking hell
>>
File: 20170403_100938.jpg (983KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170403_100938.jpg
983KB, 2560x1440px
For those of you who doubt me - the beginning of something beautiful.
>>
>>983769
If they're dying that fast upon entry, it's probably due to pesticide accumulation around the inner parameter of your home. There are several trapping methods that you could use to catch them, untainted and alive, on the outer parameter.

Boiling doesn't sound good. They'll lose their crunch.
>>
>>983772
>potato bugs

I've never known anyone to call them that; only pill bug or roly-poly. I just call them, "isopods". Also, if you are having trouble with those inside your home, it is time to clean it and make sure you don't have a water/sewer line leaking or have other water issues like crawlspace problems or leaking roof.
>>
>>983782
>several trapping methods
You've got my attention now.
>>
I bet if you mixed them into rice with black beans your guests wouldn't even start screaming until halfway through the meal
>>
>>983769
Oh man, I love these things. Not as good but as pets.
Currently feeling excited for summer as they tend to be easier to find at that time of year. I had a box of them but sadly most of them died, it's quite hard to keep the box dark, damp and cool every day.

Anyway, the shelf life of these things should be quite long. They tend to dry up and shrivel and I've still got some dead ones left from last year, although I'm not planning on eating them.
Funnily enough, I've been told that I did eat woodlice as a young child, but sadly I can't remember so won't be able to give advice on their flavour.

I'll see if I can find a few dead ones I've got and post them later, maybe today or tomorrow.
>>
>>983785
The easiest is to simply bury open mason jars, or equivalent, with the opening level with the ground in high traffic areas. An attractant will increase success, but I have no idea what roly-poleys seek. With some bugs, simply placing a couple of live ones in each jar works. I suspect this is based on pheromonal attraction, and could possibly backfire if the decoys put out a danger signal.
>>
>>983795
Or, alternately, you could simply lift a rock/log and grab a handful.
>>
>>983797
That sounds like it requires effort, though.
>>
>>983797
This would be best. Just increasing the available habitat is a great stategy. Try to replicate the conditions were you find high concentrations.
>>
>>983782
They are dying because they are drying out
They have gills

op you can just farm them
Put some dirt in a lidded container and poke some holes in the lid
Then cut up a potato and throw it in
Then catch a few live ones and throw them in
They are really easy to care for
>>
>>983811
>really easy to care for
What can you tell me about breeding woodlice? I am not sure I agree with putting them in a container- are container farmed woodlice as good as free range?
>>
>>983811
>>983814
He's lying. It's a chore having to constantly keep the box damp, even leaving the box without water for a day can result in most of the colony dying out. Not to mention that you basically can't move the box or the wood lice will get trapped underneath something.
Potatoes are also difficult to give them as they tend to dry out quite quickly, which means that the wood lice can't eat them.
>>
>>983819
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.earthlife.net/insects/woodcare.html&ved=0ahUKEwij1b2Kz4jTAhUD7mMKHRycD_kQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGuXxmqt9WQePC4R9qbqz0m6sjsdQ&sig2=cT1Jj7iSjRMiYDVHRosp9g
>>
Found this on the woodlouce wikipedia page

>Despite being crustaceans like lobsters or crabs, woodlice are said to have an unpleasant taste similar to "strong urine"
>>
>>983821
>trusting some dumbass internet book rather than the experiences of a living, moving, physical human being
Pathetic.
>>
>>983829
How often do you move, senpai?
What's your favorite insect in terms of eating?
>>
>>983822
That's just nitrogen ammonia. Means they're all protein. A little lemon juice, horseradish or Ketchup will make it right.
>>
>>983831
>How often do you move, senpai?
Every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day.
>What's your favourite insect in terms of eating?
I don't eat insects, I keep them for pleasure.
>>
>>983834
By historical definition, it is unnatural to raise livestock and never consume them. Strongly consider ingesting one of your less valuable species as the experience of entomophagy can often be life changing.
>>
>>983822
If you check the cited reference, that description appears to apply to the uncooked flavor.
>>
I have actually tried them cooked.

They kinda taste fishy when cooked.

Would not recommend but a hell of a lot better than slugs
>>
>>983814
>free range

my sides
>>
>>983769
cute. I hear they taste like lobster, because they are actually crustaceans believe it or not
>>
>>983829
yes a book written by a living human being based on their experience and research
>>
>>983819
No, they are really easy to care for
We have a colony at work right now that has been going for a couple of years
We just throw some cut-up potato in there every couple of months
If you put some paper towels in with them, and keep the lid on the container, it doesn't dry out at all
Sometimes, nobody checks it for months
>>
>>983834
>I keep them for pleasure.

Sexual pleasure?
>>
>>984523
I have a bathtub that I've overturned, and I keep moths in it. Sometimes I like to crawl under the bathtub and feel their wings beat all over my naked body.
>>
File: the moth man of out.png (595KB, 1508x2116px) Image search: [Google]
the moth man of out.png
595KB, 1508x2116px
>>984527
have you returned?
>>
>>984523
No, I just like them. They're kinda cute and when I've got enough of them I like to play games. My favourite is 'wood lice natural selection'.
>>
They're little crabs, essentially, and people do eat them in some parts of the world. They taste like crunchy shrimp tails when fried.
>>
What is this board?
>>
>>983829
>trusting some random faggot on a Cherokee knitting board
>about anything
Yeah, I'll go with the guy that wrote a book.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (61KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
61KB, 343x500px
>>984616
>'wood lice natural selection'.
Battle bugs!
>>
>>983829
I dunmo man, maybe you're just too retarded to raise roly-polys right.
>>
>>983784
Funny because I've never heard them called wood lice before, I grew up calling them potato bugs!
>>
>>984527
What the fuck
>>
File: 1489062355340.jpg (14KB, 177x278px) Image search: [Google]
1489062355340.jpg
14KB, 177x278px
>>984527
Pics pls
>>
File: 1455943882081.gif (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455943882081.gif
89KB, 600x600px
>>984527
m-mothman?
>>
File: Jerusalemcricket.jpg (262KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
Jerusalemcricket.jpg
262KB, 500x640px
>>984811
This is what is called a potato bug in western US
>>
>>984527
He's b a c k
>>
>>985139
are those edible?
>>
This weekend I learned on /cock/, (/co/ comics/cartoon board an /ck/ cooking board merger), that Woodlice are actually crustaceans, and from what some anons stated, taste just like shrimp when cooked.

>the more you know
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.