[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever hear about/read about the North Pond Hermit? Bee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: hermit.jpg (1MB, 3000x1889px) Image search: [Google]
hermit.jpg
1MB, 3000x1889px
Anyone ever hear about/read about the North Pond Hermit? Been a few years now but dude lived innawoods in Maine just outside town for 27 years never making contact with another soul. Stole all his food and supplies from local families, buried all his trash and books he had finished reading in his campsite. Never lit a fire, ate mostly junk food, always kept his face clean shaven and looked like a normal ass dude (until he got convicted, then he grew the beard) The local towns people got pissed about a phantom always stealing their produce so set up security cams and finally nabbed him. The feds diagnosed him as an Aspie, no surprise. Super intriguing tale, wish I had more info on this guys life. This article is about as good at there is out there, he was a recluse so he didnt tell many people his tale and you can tell he was even annoyed by the interviews. Thoughts on the hermit life /out/?

Christopher Thomas Knight
http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-hermit
>>
File: camp.jpg (49KB, 635x357px) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
49KB, 635x357px
pics related
>>
File: Knight.jpg (208KB, 810x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
208KB, 810x1024px
>>
this just came out if you weren't aware
>>
File: Christopher-Knight.jpg (9KB, 220x297px) Image search: [Google]
Christopher-Knight.jpg
9KB, 220x297px
>>
>last true hermit
>smelly thief
Pick one. Real hermits subsisted on donated food and usually had something to offer the community like spiritual insight or inspiration. This guy was just an aspie leach.
>>
>>979718
Also, I hope Maine has niggers because he's about to find out why people contribute to society and keep their head down if so.
>>
>>979702
Honestly hermit life seems really appealing and I think about it a lot. There's even a lot of forests relatively near. The only thing is though, I like conveniences too much and am still very young to effectively end my civilized life.
>>
>>979720
Unfortunately, the federal government has seen fit to settle a large number of Somalis in Maine.

It's still the second whitest state in the country.
>>
>>979720
>maine
>niggers
kek
>>
>>979702
He is a big /out/ hero .
Last year people were talking about a maine meetup at his camp.
>>
>>979702
Seems like a paranoid schizophrenic.
>>
>>979741
hes not a schiz just really likes being alone
>>
>>979702
I bet you think that one Japanese guy killing innocent flips over 20 years after WW2 ended just because nobody told him the war was over was just a soldier following orders and not a murderer.
>>
>>979792
honestly ya
>>
>>979702
>He just stole produce
He broke into people's houses. They were vacation houses, but don't paint him as some dude living off people's gardens.

People would leave him shit in their backyards with notes asking him to please not break in.
>>
>>979792
Ye. And a true patriot. A real. Human bean.
>>
>I would stay awake at night and move around rather than sleeping because I would freeze to death.
Yeah sounds real fun rather than starting a fire.
>>
>>979792
yes, stealing snacks from yuppie vacation homes is literally the same as killing people
>>
>>979792
Flips aren't real people any way
>>
File: 4897-300x273.jpg (17KB, 300x273px) Image search: [Google]
4897-300x273.jpg
17KB, 300x273px
>>979794
Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat, tell you all about it when I got the time!

I mean its not like he went in and watched people as they slept and jerked off to their kids or anything. When you dont work at all and dont even want to ever see another human its impossible to get by unless you steal.

From the article:
He insists he never encountered anyone during a robbery; he made sure there was no car in the driveway, no sign of anyone inside. "It was usually 1 or 2 A.M. I’d go in, hit the cabinets, the refrigerator. In and out. My heart rate was soaring. It was not a comfortable act. I took no pleasure in it, none at all, and I wanted it over as quickly as possible."
>>
>>979792
He was pardoned, its all good.
>>
>When you dont work at all and dont even want to ever see another human its impossible to get by unless you steal.
Completely false. Kys gypsy. We had hermits for thouadands of years and literally the last thing they thought of was stealing. People of their community would bring them food and leave it at a staging location. If they saw the food was gone the next time they came back they would giggle like a school girl.

Again. Kys.
>>
>>979826
kek youre disillusional if you think this is possible in modern america. Chris Knight hated stealing, and Im sure he would have gladly taken whatever was offered to him for free. But no one these days is going to set out milk and cookies for mr innawoods. To him stealing was a better option than re entering society, and theres no way he could live the way he did unless he stole.
>>
>>979826
>We had hermits for thouadands of years and literally the last thing they thought of was stealing.
You're talking about a time when people were taught from an early age how to source local food from the earth. Take any modern teenager that has no place to go (Knight was 19, I believe)... they don't see any other option except to continue to live off of what they know, packaged food (that they can't afford to buy). Society makes people dependent on societal structure, and then blames them for continuing to rely on it when society fails to help those in need.
>>
>NPH
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>The thief complied, no resistance, and lay facedown, candy spilling out of his pockets.

Kek
>>
>>979824

>He insists he never encountered anyone during a robbery

Oh, well in that case it's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>981086
>candy spilling out of his pockets
>Not spaghetti
You had one job mr. Hermit !
>>
Anyone know what happened to Colton Harris?
>>
>>979702
>Anyone ever hear about/read about the North Pond Hermit
Yes
Here
All the time

He is a loser and a thief
>>
How did he get so based?
>>
>>979736
I'm actually highly in favor of this. "Oh, you niggers want to move from your sub-saharan environment to this country? Sure, let's find someplace you'll be comfy..."

Alaska is wiiiiide open. Jussayin'.
>>
>>979832
No way to live unless he stole? You aren't very innawoods yourself, are you?

Seriously, drop a true innawoods guy in any corner of the continental US, and he'll be fat and happy. This guy just had the raccoon philosophy of survival. That's a valid strategy, but not compatible with people who don't want raccoons pillaging their shit.
>>
His camp was extremely close to other cabins. I don't know how he wasn't discovered sooner.
>>
>>981869
I dont see how thats possible. Remember you can build anything that people might see or you get caught.
There was literally no other way for him.
>>
>>979824
>. I took no pleasure in it, none at all, and I wanted it over as quickly as possible
If he didn't enjoy it, why not learn how to live off the land?

He was paranoid about accepting donations because he thought people would realise he was there and catch him (even though they already knew he was there, and were offering him food, so clearly they weren't about to prosecute him)

Only reason he was caught was because he lived in the woods for 20 years and never once tried fishing and hunting, or foraging from people's gardens instead of their homes.
>>
>>979832
>Im sure he would have gladly taken whatever was offered to him for free
Except he was paranoid and thought it was a trap.
Seriously, people left him donations all the time, right on their kitchen counters with a note to please leave the fridge alone, but he ignored them and raided the fridge.
>>
>>981916
He stayed clean-shaven so people wouldn't know he was the hermit.

He could've easily fished for his food, and nobody would have given him a second look.

If he had to, he could have even stolen nets, or lines and hooks. A rod would be too easy to recognize, but he could've managed without one.
>>
>>982010
He was never spotted once by anyone. Thats how he was able to do it.
>>
>>982002
>Foraging for propane

Yeah he should have tried harder
>>
File: 81Ry87RaDuL._SL1500_.jpg (138KB, 1500x1151px) Image search: [Google]
81Ry87RaDuL._SL1500_.jpg
138KB, 1500x1151px
I met a guy recently traveling by car who just set up pic related at the end of the day.
I was in an RV but he was going to all the cool places I was and saving a fortune on gas.
>>
>>982048
Fuck.
Wrong thread
Wrong board even.
>>
I live in the woods, if this guy robbed my cabin I would shoot him without blinking an eye. There is nothing interesting or inspiring about him. Idolizing him is incredibly stupid. A wise man once said
>I keep it real with a nigga keep it real with me
>cut the hand off a nigga tryin to steal from me
>>
>>979832
>But no one these days is going to set out milk and cookies for mr innawoods
>theres no way he could live the way he did unless he stole
Well jesus fuck, why did he go innawoods at all if he was still planning on living off of mommies tendies forever?
>Oh, poor me, I can't stand living around people!
>Don't you see? I HAD to steal all this free food, booze, and niceties from people! It was the only way!

>kek youre disillusional if you think this is possible in modern america
Bullshit. There is no reason why he couldn't live off the land like every other hermit in history. People do it all the time. Is it easy? Of course not, but going out of your way to put yourself in a shitty scenario and then claiming that you had no choice but to steal from people doesn't make you some kind of hero.
>>
>>981916
>can't build anything people might see, or you'll get caught
You realize he was living in a tent made of trash, right? Literally any other kind of shelter he could have built would have been more inconspicuous.
>>
>>982046
Propane isn't a necessity, its a luxury.
>>
>>982110
>why did he go innawoods at all

You're missing the mark man, this dude living in the woods had very little to do with his love of nature. He wasn't like chris mccandles or other some romantic outdoorsman lusting for solitude in nature, he was an autist who didn't want to be around people. His drive to avoid other humans is what drove his entire life. The "living off the land" line is such a cliche. Suburban 19yo isnt gunna have farming or foraging skills, Sure he coulda bought or squatted on some kind of workable land in a better climate and grew his own food and hunted and all that and eventually been totally self sufficient but that requires interacting with people to travel to that land and buy it, to buy seed and guns and ammo and other supplies,and getting money for that requires some kind of funds. At 19 he had nothing and just left his door on foot and went to the closest secluded place he could and vowed to be alone from that point on.

>hermits have lived off the land for centuries
>hermits have been supported by their local communities willingly for centuries
Pick one
>>
He did his deal in such a unique way.
Maybe you can be angry that he stole but damn , he sure did lead a bizarre existence and to me that is worth something.
>>
>>982258
He didn't really steal anything, it was just unused stuff laying around that was going wasted.
>>
>>982347
He broke into people's houses.
>>
>>982455
Not really they were unused luxury vacation cabins. People weren't using them and didn't live there
>>
File: 1485808105845.jpg (67KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1485808105845.jpg
67KB, 500x375px
>>979702
>Anyone ever hear about that hermit guy /oout/ makes a thread about at least once a month?
Yes I've heard.
>>
>>982138
this is the reality of it. anyone shaming him for not being a 'real woodsman' or a thief is missing the whole point
>>
>>982567
Ok. Then anyone who commits crimes should be absolved of their sins against the whole on the grounds of personal philosophy?
>>
>>982576
No not anyone anon, only a few people and NPH is one
>>
>>982467
>they had plenty - "luxury vacation" - and they weren't using it
>they didn't live there at all times, so they didn't own it
>stealing isn't stealing

t. raccoon
>>
>>982686
Look we get it dude, NPH was a theif. Repeating it ad nauseum doesn't make his story any less interesting. If he wasn't a theif he couldn't have been aprhended and we wouldnt have know about his unusual life. Dude did what he truely wanted to do and thats more than the majority of humans can take credit for. Even the justice system took moral pity on this dude and he got off on a minimal sentence, so let the stealing is for stealers bit rest already
>>
>>979702
This just describes an average person from Maine or New Brunswick.

It's a weird little corner of earth
>>
>>979702
I mean the guy is a scumbag no doubt, but the article was really fascinating. Excellent read.
>>
>>982695

You quit trying to rationalize it away, and I'll quit re-asserting it.

Deal?
>>
>>982713
Deal. If I got stolen from regularly for 20 years i would be mad and I dont deny stealing is immoral. Fascinating tale either way.
>>
>>982713
He was a thief but there are levels, to me he was no worse than a guy how takes pens from work
>>
>>982579
If you don't mind supporting him, he can be your favorite pet.
>>
File: skinnny.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
skinnny.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>982775
>>982775
We can all support him anon. To each according to his needs.
>>
>>982777
Trudat. It's costing society slot more to support him now that he is outtadawoods
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.