[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sure this has been brought up plenty of times here,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I'm sure this has been brought up plenty of times here, but it's my first time on /out/ so forgive me.

Do any of you guys have experience with or know much about solar powered coolers? There aren't many options out there and of course they are all expensive. But I cant imagine spending what people spend on yeti coolers seems you'd be better off spending the extra cash on a solar powered "portable refrigerator"
>>
>>976279
You would need a larger panel and a battery
At least 150 watts and a mar
>>
>>976285
So youre saying the tech is still too far behind for there to be any practicality at the moment?
>>
>>976287
Yes.
Right now it takes a $1000 arb fridge or equivalent and 150 watts solar and a car battery.
>>
>>976279
Wood burning coolers are where it's at.
>>
>>976279
I do diy a lot for various things. A solar cooler would be pretty easy to make. You don't even need moving parts to make one. Just big heat sinks, sizeable solar panel, some wiring, and some Peltier coolers. You'd be making a solar powered, thermoelectric cooler. Just retrofit it into a cheap second hand cooler. You don't even need to solder anything, just use butt-end connectors. If you want to add a battery the costs increase and you'd need a solar charge controller for them.

The biggest thing will be the solar panel itself. A general purpose Peltier cooler panel will need 86 to 96 watts. They are pretty tiny too. Without a battery, you'll need a 100watt solar panel. Check the pricing on those. Pretty high costs unless you buy cheap ebay stuff and solder them up into a panel.

The only good thing about such a system is that there are no moving parts, so nothing wears out very quickly. The down side is that cooling will be very slow since there's only 1 Peltier cooler under 100watts. Thus, the better a cooler you use the more efficient the system can be.

I think you can make a solid solar powered cooler for as little as $200. That's a prebuilt 100watt solar panel and all the rest of the stuff listed above. Maybe $175 if you get ebay PV seconds. For every extra Peltier cooler you add, you need another solar panel. Batteries would up the cost quite a bit, but will extend the use quite a bit too.

I have a few TEC1-12706 Peltier coolers and I do all sorts of stuff like this with them just for experimenting. I even made a thing to hook them to my exercise bike electric generator to make water from the air (horribly inefficient, but worked when the dew point was high enough; would be better on a regenerative breaking system on a real bike).
>>
>>976310
Batonny skilz to keep the beers cold.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.