[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ As I type this, I am sitting in Hiker Hostel at the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

File: atloadout.jpg (193KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
atloadout.jpg
193KB, 900x1600px
Sup /out/ As I type this, I am sitting in Hiker Hostel at the trailhead for the Appalachian Trail. Tomorrow I set out on my first thru-hike and will post periodically along my way. Anyone else thru-hiked NoBo before?

I'm going the ultra-lite route, measuring everything I take down to the individual ounce.
>>
>>975856
what a cute pack! Post nudes
>>
File: ashes.jpg (101KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ashes.jpg
101KB, 960x720px
>>975864
It weighs in at a total of 13.8lbs, hiking poles not included. The pack is made out of Cuben Fiber, same material competitive sailing has been using to construct sails for the last decade or so. Tent is made out of the same thing, it's ridiculously light.

Also, no nudes.
>>
>>975871
From here on /out/ this thread is just going to be people shitposting so I'm just gonna get in early and say good luck and have fun. All my friends that did the AT loved it.
>>
>>975875
Yeah, chances are. Either way thanks a bunch, tomorrow morning at 0600 I begin!
>>
>>975871
Pro-tip for cuban fibré- never set it down. On anything ever. It will get holes and you become sad.

Also, get over yourself. Nobody cares how light your bullshit is. Or how much you spent on not carrying an ounce or two extra.

Now that we know you're a trap, you've gotta post nudes.
>>
>>975856
Good luck
>>
>>975880
Honestly I'm just excited for doing it light-weight. Can't get me down for that, also no nudes 4 u
>>
File: traps.jpg (41KB, 357x443px) Image search: [Google]
traps.jpg
41KB, 357x443px
>>975880
Here's some nude traps for ya bro.
>>
>>975856
post your gear then, faggot
>>
>>975856
Did the Great Wall once.
>>
>>975856
Hey when you get to the Whites in NH, take a detour to Crawford Notch and visit the Highland Center. Tell 'em Sam says hi.

Used to work there and met tons of through-hikers at the lodge and the huts. Have a good trip!
>>
File: rad.jpg (87KB, 640x399px) Image search: [Google]
rad.jpg
87KB, 640x399px
>>975856
Good luck!
>>
File: 1444753292517.png (141KB, 2212x2212px) Image search: [Google]
1444753292517.png
141KB, 2212x2212px
Good luck and godspeed little buddy. Hammer down North bound.
>>
hope you die
>>
>>975871
wow fuck me you got hit with the ugly stick
that's ok though the trail wont care dont worry
>>
File: Appalachian Trail 513.jpg (2MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Appalachian Trail 513.jpg
2MB, 2272x1704px
>>975871
I thru-hiked in 2012 I wanted one of those but ended up getting a ULA circuit which worked pretty well. The rain sucks, just try not to get hurt or sick and keep on walking. Good luck.
also, make sure you are very careful with drinking water, I saw a ton of people drop off the trail because of water borne illnesses.
>>
Oh shit! Last I seen of someone posting about a trip was Tourfat. Goodluck!
Also, you need a nickname to go by. Anyone have suggestions?

This is now a nickname thread.
>>
>>976100
She will look better once she loses 30 pounds, or maybe not
>>
>>975856
nice ruck from SpAcE , uh?!

you need
<-------------------- this
tent!
>>
>>975888
i c-came
>>
File: Jemen.jpg (455KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Jemen.jpg
455KB, 750x500px
>>975871
yellow teeth uhm.. chew sum kath
>>
>>976112
Gender bending ginger
>>
Hey I was just at Hiker Hostel a few weeks ago. Didn't start a through hike, just there for a long weekend, but we covered a good stretch of the AT one day. Have a good hike, pet that sweet cat and doggy before you leave.
>>
>>976110
waters fine, pple are just stupid about where they drink. I thru'd in '11 and stopped treating in PA. Only treated/filtered 20% of the time before that. I don't recommend going out and drinking ground water immediately, but tapering off of a treatment method is perfectly reasonable.

If you're close to the top of the mountain, fill up your water
If you're close to a cow field, don't fill up your water
If you see the source bubbling out of the ground, fill up your water
If you see a big muddy river, don't fill up your water.
>>
File: mahBEER.jpg (111KB, 634x477px) Image search: [Google]
mahBEER.jpg
111KB, 634x477px
>>975856
POST NUDES NOW
>>
>>976207
Fuck off and take that shit to /soc/, op is here to talk about hiking not get you off. This board used to be better than this.
>>
>>976208
Sand in bagina? Tits or gtfo
>>
>>976205
I'd say you were just lucky then. It's not thay most water is infected with disease, it's not even all that common in most areas. It's just every single water source has the chance to carry disease. Rather than just playing the odds, you might as well filter. It doesn't take that much longer and filters are cheap.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1473698960456.jpg (124KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1473698960456.jpg
124KB, 960x720px
>>976212
>>976207
>>975864

You do realize this is a work safe board right? Also, OP never even said the ginger pic was her. It could be a guy just posting a pic of a random ginger.

Seriously, /b/ /r9k/ and /soc/ have hundreds of nudes. Go there if you want to beat off. Half you idiotic autistic fucks belong on /r9k/ anyways.
>>
>>975856
What type of tent/bag/pad are you using? Love the pack. Ignore what >>975880 this anon said, your bag in particular is extremely durable, especially on the bottom. Have a fun and safe trip!
>>
>>975895
Been thinking of doing that in the next few years. Legally-speaking, how did you do it? Do Chinese visas last long enough?
>>
Is now a good time to go on a thru hike on the Appalachian trail, how long does it take If I take it slow, and were do I start. Just started hitchhiking with no money, is it possible to dumpsterdive my way through
>>
>>975871
Would tap that, good luck.
>>
>>975856
>>975871
lightweight is for girls proven

heavy pack bros where you at? more weight more gains
>>
>>975856
Can you talk about your cooking kit and food?
>>
>>976409
no. if you are hitching why do the at?
>>
>>976205
You are lucky as shit then or have an amazing immune system
>>
>>976274
I have pics. Wanna see MY nudes?
>>
File: 20170225_095110.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170225_095110.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
awesome I was just there. I'm at blood mountain cabins tonight. are you doing the approach trail? View from the falls is the one of the better views in Georgia. The stairs are torture
>>
File: 20170225_160542.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170225_160542.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
enjoy the view from Springer, stay awhile and soak it in. It doesn't look like much from my pic, but when you're actually there...well, it's breathtaking.
>>
>>975895

Tell us about it, am interested
>>
>>976205

Or just... you know... fill up when you want and filter. Takes 0 minutes.
>>
>>976112
What are you OP? Was pic related? We need a name for you
>>
>>976529
yes post nudes.
>>
>>976257
>>976526
Nah, people and animals have been drinking water like this for a long time. I'm not telling you guys not to filter or whatever, I'm just saying I know plenty of people (me being one of them) who don't always filter or treat their water. Never gotten sick once, honestly think it boosts my microbiome/immune response to expose myself whatever there may be in it. That said, if there's a shred of doubt about the source I definitely treat or filter.
>>
>>978124
>I don't filter unless I don't know it's pure

Sounds like you always filter, not that you ever go out
>>
>>978124
If its clear, flowing, has some lifeforms, and when you fill your cup it doesnt have particles youre 99% of the time going to be fine
>>
>>978127
Lol what is with /out/ and accusing people of never going /out/? Absolutely silly
>>
>>976112
>>976671
Whipsnake
>>
>>978120
>>
File: telemark pack.jpg (45KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
telemark pack.jpg
45KB, 564x423px
>>976445
STEEL EXTERNAL FRAME AND ELK LEATHERRRR
>>
>>978132
oooh yea gurl post moar!!!!!
>>
>>975856
oh look a thread with someone who is actually /out/

>I'm sure this wont have any shitposting
>>
>>975856
I'm preparing now and will be heading out to GA from NC to begin the trek. Plan is to go all the way, but like many online gents that's often just a dream kek. Any tips? Considering mailing ahead large amounts of ramen to post offices along the way. Got water filer, a decent pack, 30 degree sleeping bag, tent, clothes, first aid, light, bear mace, axe, knife, slingshot, metal match, power bank, liquor for bartering. Further load out advice and tips in general?
>>
>>979095
dont mail urself anything until you are already hiking. Theres towns all along the way, and once youre actually on trail you will have plenty of time to think about and plan where you will need to ACTUALLY send stuff. you can get by without send any boxes at all though.

Leave ur ax, mace, slingshot at home. Bears are all black bears on the AT and are little pussies. Slingshot? really? are u 12?? Ax? are u lumber jack? u dont need that shit, most days you wont even feel like making a fire at all anyways, and ur not gunna be buschwacking, its the AT not the Yukon. If you dont have one get some kind of sleep mat. sleeping on the wood floor in shelters is basically impossible without. Focus on what you absolutely DONT need to carry, not what u might need. The lighter your pack is the more miles you will be able to cover a day and the easier the whole adventure will be.

and bring a friggen trail guide, you sound naive. All these things increase your potential for success immeasurable.
>>
>>979174
Slingshot is to discreetly take out small fluffies to supplement my protein. Axe may be leave able. Hoboed about for two years so I'm rather warry of people. Guide,map, and compass will absolutely be coming. Good advice though. Food seems like it will be my biggest concern. Ramen seems like a good choice. High in fat,carbs and protein. Lightweight and cheap. How accessible will towns be along the way?
>>
>>979358
towns are extremely accessible, most are 2-3 days apart and withing walking distance. Hitching on the AT is easy cause people in the area know about the trail and like picking people up. Literally thousands of normies/non hobos hike walk this trail ever year so dont over think it. good luck :)
>>
>>979358
Towns are readily accessible on the AT.

Don't be an idiot. No one is using a slingshot on the AT to supplement protein.

No one hikes the AT with an axe. Again, don't be an idiot.

You're going to need more than just Ramen and pretending to kill rabbits along the trail. You'll get in big trouble hunting without a license, and taking game out of season. Trust me, people WILL report you. I sure as fuck would.
>>
>>979358
forgot a couple things

theres plenty of food besides ramen that is economical and nutrient dense. Ramen is good cause you can eat it dry if you need, but its definately not sustainable as your only food. You can get the Knorr pasta and rice sides at any grocery store. The 7 min kind cook up best, but you dont even really need to cook them, just soak with water in a zip lock for a few hrs while you walk. I like the broccoli and cheese rice. Also Idahoan potatoes and oatmeal dont need hotwater and can be eaten immediately. Get a small bottle and put olive oil in it and add that to ur rice sides for a calorie boost. Tuna in the pouches is good, any kind of trail mix/granola, fruit roll ups, bars, peanut butter is the most calorie dense food in the super market. Stop at chick fil a and stock up on mayonaise packs and texas pete/tabasco packs. You can get most all of this shit at any store that sells food so dont pigeon hole urself into ramen

its worth stating that a guide is more important that a compass and map, but you should have all three. so dont go crazy with the compass, a small one will do. If you have a smart phone this can replace map and compass in most cases. a good guide book will have info on every town along the way and the distances between them, tell you about water sources ect. so its invaluable.
>>
>>979372
Fine. No squirrels.
>>979379
Why wouldn't ramen and vitamins be sustainable other than being boring? Them shits got a decent meals worth of nutrients per pack.
Another question. How crowded is the trail? What's it like? Will a find qt hippie chicks along the way?
Is barter possible? I figured toilet paper and liquor would get me pretty far.
>>
>>976175
>FISTRAL by Heimplanet
is the little one for 460€ worth it?
>>
>>975856
I keep seeing that pack, what is it?
>>
>>979967
Hyerlight mountain gear or something. Nice but very expensive.
>>
>>979849
No, you will not be able to barter. This isn't 17th century Russia you delusional moron.
>>
>>979849
>Barter
I mean you could try but i don't think you grasp how many average Joes walk the AT. Trying to barter with them will just cause confusion.

My go to hiking food is muesli mixed with powdered milk and protein powder. Just add hot water.
>>
>>979849
I tried givin u realistic advice and you come back with this borderline troll level banter. But i dont think your trolling is the sad part. Ramen noodles is BORING yes. But think of this, you walk 15-20 miles a day, youre gunna need hella fuel (like 3500-6000 calories) and if you think your gunna eat nothing but raymond noodles you will need to eat like 10 packets a day. Thats right 10, ramen only has about 400 calories, and carrying ur ax, fur traps, slingshot, musket, handle of licker, lead shot, and all the other BS in your 60 lb pack is gunna burn all 4000 calories of it a day. Walking 20 miles a day for 4 months isnt like hoboing, Youre gunna deal with normies cause its a crowded ass trail, youre gunna want to pack as light as possible, and youre gunna need to eat more than fkn ramen

>>979967
if you like this and are new to utra light took into Zpacks, Zimmerbuilt, the KS 40 by KS ultralight gear(their site sucks but the packs are top notch for the money) and ULA.
>>
>>979999
Glad I'm not the only one who has an irrational hatred for that retarded barterfag hobo scum.
>>
>>979999
nice trips

also, don't bother with that fucker. I don't know why he's posting this stupid ass scheme. Sounds like he never researched a damn thing and doesn't want to actually think things through, so why should you do it for him?

He'll hike for a few days, bother some people at a shelter near a road for a few more and then hitchhike into obscurity.
>>
>>980008
>irrational
>>
>>979967
HMG pack, but its the same basic design as most other light packs, basically a Ray Way pack.
>>
>>979982
my favorite is beans, dehydrated beans with cheese powder is always great. also for breakfast sometimes I use carnations instant breakfast powder and some instant coffee for a meal I can drink on the trail.
>>
Please excuse some of our random idiot posters. You're beautiful, and this is a cool thing you're doing. Keep on posting.

Great that you paid attention to lightening your pack. I'm a big, strong, strapping dude, can hike like a pack mule, but after a long enough hike every extra pound off is something I would pay good money to take off for good.

Take GREAT care of your feet. Every break, every night. Socks, boots, anything around your feet - keep 'em clean, dry, and comfy.

Baby wipes are great - helps with foot care and personal hygiene; just a luxury that will keep you up when you're feeling down - and you WILL feel down on the trail. It's only temporary. As you get in tune with your surroundings, you'll find yourself elated at sunshine, and depressed on rainy days. That's all okay. Roll with it.

Avoid too much interaction with other hikers. A lot of folks on the AT have serious issues, and you'd seriously rather just be a little antisocial than end up with some leech attached to you. It's too easy to pick up a human parasite.

Hope you've mailed yourself a few care packages ahead. It's fun to look forward to.

When I did the AT, I ate a lot of protein and fat and very few carbs - the opposite of what a lot of people do. Carbs are good for bursts, but protein and fat keep you running for a long time. Nuts are your friends (my favorite were "pepitas" (hulled pumpkin seeds), and an omelet every chance you get will keep you going better than a pizza.

I sweat a lot, and for me, I found that keeping some salt packets handy really helped, added one or two to every bottle of water.

Have fun, stay safe, post often, and ignore our resident morons. They're just jealous because the hike from their mom's basement to the microwave is a bit exhausting for them.
>>
>>981892
Good advice but I cringed so hard at your first few words.
>>
>>981892
M'lady
>>
>>981892
Found the AT Stalker.
>>
>>981892
When you're just eating fat and protien, eat roasted pumkinseeds with the hull ON. It holds your shit together and is only slightly scratchy.
>>
>>981892
Jesus Christ, he's not going to fuck you no matter how much you suck up to him
>>
>>981892
Lol. You're not gonna get laid no matter how many foot care tips you post.

When did you thru? I was 2011.

I disagree about many of your points. My philosophy was to embrace the fact that we're animals and try to make better use of this gift of evolution that we hardly touch these days.

As far as foot care went, I brushed the grit off my feet when I took my shoes off. I would also lay my socks out in a way that they would dry- aka not balled up. That was it.

I made a tribe while I was out. I met a good guy two days out and we met two chicks, and the four of us met two other guys, and the six of us met a trio of dudes carrying ukuleles. Sometimes we'd separate. People would drop off and go home or whatever but they'd find us again. They're all still good friends to this day.

One point where we agree is protein. Jerky and tuna were what I looked forward to. It's a chemical thing. Amino acids are more complex, and take more steps to break down in the metabolic cycle, carbs (especially simple ones) go straight to the furnace.

I never cooked. I started with an alcohol stove and tossed it the second day. We made fires every night while we were out and so some mornings I'd rekindle it and make instant coffee. Most mornings I had it "Mountain stream cold"

I only treated the water like 20% of the time at the beginning, and just flat out stopped towards the end. Never got the shits. I honestly think my GI tract is in better shape now because of it. I ate very undercooked chicken with a bunch of people. Everyone got sick except for me.

For what it's worth, whenever I'd find a pine tree weeping sap, I'd rub it on myself. Don't know why, but it seems to help waterproof you. Toughens you up a little. If anything, it smells really fucking good.

Speaking of smells, did you ever smell the civilized people? Somewhere in NY I started smelling people before I saw them. Detergents and deodorants are very strange things when you've been out in nature for a while.
>>
>>978139
M Y F U C K I N G N I G G E R
>>
File: myman.gif (874KB, 400x223px) Image search: [Google]
myman.gif
874KB, 400x223px
>>982124
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.