[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have 3 acres of grass that I want to turn into a berry jungle.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: blackberrry_row_web.jpg (41KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
blackberrry_row_web.jpg
41KB, 700x525px
I have 3 acres of grass that I want to turn into a berry jungle. Black, rasp, straw... blue?
It'll be planted and maintained in rows, but other than that it'll be wild.

I just want to haul in baskets of barries. Just fill a house with it.

Sound plausible? I live in central ontario btw.

I know rasp and black berries grow easily, and are delicious. Why doesn't everyone have bushes all over?
>>
Use peat for blueberries. They like acid. Can't get them to grow in the states but in Quebec they're everywhere
>>
>>972838
This, the best blueberries I've ever had grow in semi-swampy areas of Alaska.
>>
>>972838
I only entered this thread to say that exact thing.

>blueberries need a pH of 4-5.

They will however grow in the states, there are southern verities that grow here just fine. I just have a syphon injector putting pH down into it's irrigation water.
>>
>>972801
Goji berries are pretty damn easy bro.
>>
>>972845

How would you compare them to the ones already listed? Ease and yield size.
>>
>>972801
>Why doesn't everyone have bushes all over?
I have some relatives that live in the pacific northwest, blackberries grow like a fucking weed up there. They grow in massive wads of thorns, you will get a shit ton of berries but you will only be able to harvest the berries on the outskirts of the plant
>>
>>972852
Easy, almost to the point you can forget about them and they'll grow. In order to get a good cultivated yield from them though you should water them about as much as the other berries.

>drought tolerant, low nutrient requirement, berry bush.
>>
>>972854
Blackberries are actually one of the worst invasive species in the NW, although they did give rise to one of the best businesses. Rent-a-goat.
>>
>>972862
That's a Backpage hookup right there
>>
>>972801
The real question is are you going to make wine with all those extra blueberries

http://www.eckraus.com/blog/blueberry-wine-recipe
>>
>>972801
they have to be properly maintained and watered, a lot
>>
>>972923
They get enough water from the rain and maintenance is primarily so the bushes don't grow all over and make it harder to pick the berries.
>>
Blackberries will get out of control FAST, trim regularly or prepare for their hostile takeover.
>>
>>972838
You can also put cedar mulch around them.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 198x255px
>>972801

Mid-20th century "lawn culture"
A mix of neighborhood covenants, municipal ordinances, property assessment and general attitudes that turf lawns and decorative plants are better than meadow lawns and food bearing plants even though they take more work and resources.

It's starting to change, but it's a slow change.
>>
>>972801
>Sound plausible?
Definitely. Once the plants are established, they'll come back every year, and should produce plentifully as long as they have water and nutrients (you may need to toss down some supplemental worm castings and guano after the first decade or so).

In Central Ontario? Probably because it'd cause a massive grizzly bear turf war.

>>972838
>>972844
>blueberries
Most of what you'll find in the states is bush blueberries, which are very different plants compared to the ground blueberry common in Canadia.

>>972854
>>973111
Can confirm, I have to keep a close eye on my raspberries so that they don't spread too far into the rest of my garden, or my neighbors'. Rubus' are pretty aggressive.
>>
>>972972
they really don't
not enough water = tiny berries

and trimming is more than just about size

I've seen bushes die out after not being watered and maintained well enough
>>
>>973225
I don't know, at least here, the rain gets the job done. They'd grow all over the garden if I didn't mow the lawn and cut up the young ones when I do so. We just trim the really long parts because otherwise the bushes would be all over the place and it would be hard to mow the grass.
>>
>>973239
I try to dig up and transplant the little ones when I see them

I've been cleaning them up in the fall, removing dead vanes and trimming live ones to limit new growth, then doing major trimming in the spring, cutting back to the new growth

so far that has kept the size pretty stable
>>
>>973265
We had two patches, one was just a line of raspberries and the other was a patch of a few square metres. I mow the grass around both throughout the summer so they never expanded much except inwards so they're really bushy now. We started with the regular pink ones and then added a few of the yellow ones.

I guess I could say we also have blackberries. Our neighbours have a vacation home next to our land and their blackberries grow through the fence and onto our side. The neigbours don't ever pick them so there's no need for our own.
>>
>>973126
It depends on how much property you have. I don't have enough to feel comfortable allowing blackberries to do their thing. Those fuckers will take over in a single season. Keeping them in rows is difficult unless you go hack them to bits a couple of times a year. However, that's a good thing because blackberries only fruit on new growth.
>>
>>972838
You can find blueberries in coniferous forests in the US, since pine trees acidify the soil.
>>
>>972923
not really, my cousin planted perfect rows of blackberries in a patch, got lazy, 8 years later its a thicket of the sweetest fucking berries. of course you end up like an emo chick if you try picking the biggestbastards in the middle
>>
Gotta be careful with blackberries, They definitely get out of control quick. I don't know what it's called, but basically if a blackberry vine comes into contact with the ground, it'll burrow, root, and start a new plant a few feet away. I highly recommend buying a single thornless blackberry plant for relatively cheap, and just take cuttings and plant them for more. Thornless taste just as good but they're a hell of a lot easier.
>>
I'd plant them in raised beds. Keep them contained. Berries are aggressive and if they can, they'll take over areas.

If you let them loose, it's very easy for them to become a huge mass of vegetation.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.