[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best national park in America (besides Alaska)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: --.jpg (208KB, 990x626px) Image search: [Google]
--.jpg
208KB, 990x626px
What's the best national park in America (besides Alaska) to visit. I like mountains and trees, so don't recommend any parks in deserts. Currently I think The Grand Teton Park is where I'm going.
>>
>>971746
Alaska is a state, not a national park.
>>
>>971820
It might as well be.
>>
File: DSC_0439.jpg (1MB, 1800x1205px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0439.jpg
1MB, 1800x1205px
Glacier for sure for mountains and trees
>>
>>971746
Denali for sure
>>
>>971830
That looks amazing.
>>971836
Alaska's off limits.
>>
File: DSC_0522.jpg (1MB, 1800x1205px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0522.jpg
1MB, 1800x1205px
>>971839
It's cool, fairly diverse landscape too, crystal clear lakes, burnt out pine, some big trees, then glacial peaks above treeline. NW portion of the park is fairly low traffic, especially last summer I was there since the road in the park was closed, had to drive pretty far on dirt to get up there.
>>
I liked zion national the most
>>
>>971851
The less people the better.
>>971859
It looks like a really interesting landscape, but I like the north.
>>
>>971864
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZQQ52fOOs

that part specifically
I think we went 18 miles up the virgin river, it's really the nicest hike ever because it's 100 degrees outside and the river is nice and cool
>>
>>971883
Was it a dry heat? I can't stand hot weather. I'll slowly overheat in 70 degrees some times. My organs will start to feel too hot, and then I'll get really tired. It's Never happens when I'm doing something though. It's like my body doesn't know to dissipate heat while idle.
>>
Isle Royale.... Duh.
>>
>>971891
Yes, 4 corners states rarely see any humidity

I die at around 75-80F heat, if it's humidity forget about it.

but there it was amazing, the water had to be around 60 or 65 it was a nice cold not a super cold like I get in colorado. but with the insane heat it was good
>>
>>971892
That's actually decently close to me. I'll have to go their some time this summer.
>>
>>971820
Didntgetthejoke.jpg
>>
Grand teton is amazing, dat tent camping next to jackson hole.
>>
>>971893
>75-80F heat
seriously?

mid to upper 70s is perfect outdoor weather...80s are even fine as long as it's not too humid
>>
>>972193
50s-60s are perfect no bugs, and most of the underbrush is dead.
>>
Canada is nicer, why the fuck would anyone want to travel the US
>>
>>972037
>>971746
>2017
>not going the third week of aug
>not being there Aug 21st

Why do you hate the most photographed /out/ event to be, in all of human history?
>>
>>972195
only in the early spring

there were still mosquitoes out last fall even when it was in the 40s/50s

at least warmer temps help to dry things out faster and reduce standing water
>>
>>972193
pls no
>>972195
this
colorado weather best weather
highest it's ever hit at my bison ranch is 73F record..
sun of course will fucking kill you in an hour at 10k feet above sea level
>>
>>971898
It is in all honesty an incredibly beautiful place, not mountainy at all, but it's pretty hilly. The Greenstone Belt trail is a great 3 or 4 day hike (~40 miles I think), up to a week if you hike both ways. It's not the most difficult trail system, but it's not the easiest either. Or there is the new "Iron Belle" trail thing here in MI; and in the eastern UP you can pick up quite a few miles of the North Country Trail network, I think thats over by Tahquamenon - which is another great North MI hike; and then we come to the Porkies. Nothing beats the Porkies, but I'm biased.
>>
>>972215
>going to a national park that's in the path of totality that day
>not going a full day's hike out into an obscure national forest
it's like you WANT to be miserable being trapped in traffic with 100,000 other people
>>
>>972200
US has more variety, syrup slurper
>>
Olympic National is recommended at least once in your life.
>>
>>972298
Higher population, more crime and filthy Americans.
>I'll pass
>>
>>972383
Planning on moving to Washington soon and Olympic is one of the first things I'd like to do.
>>
>>972383
It has some of the best off trail stuff of all the western parks. It gets 3 million visitors a year but it's not hard to go a week in peak season without seeing anyone if you want solitude.
>>
>>974324
*tips*
>>
File: glacier.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
glacier.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Glacier NP is great but has some busy parts.

My vote:

Cirque of the Towers or The Palisades. Scenery is just as impressive and a lot less people to deal with.
>>
Yellowstone. Shocker. The remote parts are still lightly traveled. Tremendous chance to experience wildlife. Many different areas in the park so can get a different experience each time.

The best places to go though are Wilderness areas
>>
>>974561
>The best places to go though are Wilderness areas
This. NPs are beautiful but too many casuals.
>>
>>974561
A Teton-Yellowstone doubleheader is probably the best way to go. They're closely adjacent and uniquely gorgeous.

I drove to Jackson this past summer from the south and the Grand Tetons peaking over the horizon from what must have been 100 miles out was magical.
>>
File: rainier2400.jpg (755KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
rainier2400.jpg
755KB, 2400x1800px
>>971746
you can hit mt. rainier, olympic, and north cascades in one trip to northwest washington

rainier (pic related) is pretty crowded with normies in the summer, but the other two are mostly deserted except for the most accessible trails
>>
File: adks9.jpg (137KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
adks9.jpg
137KB, 1000x667px
>>971746

Adirondacks are pretty awesome.
>>
>>974324
You goddamned canadians can't get enough of the US. Don't even try to pretend you don't all flock down here.
>>
>>975788
Uh huh...
>>
File: 1464082028323.jpg (21KB, 336x336px) Image search: [Google]
1464082028323.jpg
21KB, 336x336px
>>974324
>>
>>971746
>don't recommend any parks in deserts
faggot

All of Utah's parks are amazing.
>>
>>976414
I live close to the border. You guys are everywhere. You literally come down here in flocks.

You buy your gasoline here. Groceries here. I know of multiple sick canadians who couldn't get in to see their doctors and had to come to the US for medical treatment.

And yes, every trailhead parking lot has a shit ton of canadian license plates.
>>
>>976774
You mean like how you Americans also flock to Canada?
>>
>>976774
Multiple sick Canadians eh? I'm willing to bet plenty of Americans also go to the many private clinics in Canada.
>>
>>976774
How does it feel knowing your american countrymen have to take out massive loans and often lose their house when they they get sick?/ this kind of thing interests me as a german
>>
>>976777
I'm sure it happens, but I've never heard of it.

I do know of two different people, friends of a relative, who have had to come down to the us to be seen in a hospital because they couldn't be seen in a timely manner.
>>
>>976778
Even before obamacare you could afford bare bones insurance to protect from massive debts like that.

I'm not saying our healthcare system is great and I'm not trying to start a political argument here.

Just trying to bring the snooty canadian down a peg who scoffs at anything in the us as if his country is perfect.
>>
>>976800
Friends of your sisters step cousin's dog you say?
>>
>>976801
Far from perfect bud, but better than amerifats.
>>
>>976908
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
Isle Royale in Lake Superior was pretty aesthetic
>>
Yosemite is quite beautiful when it isn't crowded
>>
Bump. Will have a full post in the morning.
>>
park suggestions needed for weekend trip, must be within 5ish hours of chicago. and have camping spots im thinking of going to mammoth cave
>>
>>976989
I don't need to, the rest if the world is in consenus with me.
>>
>>978244
Looking to go on a road trip out west from Minnesota.
Day 1. - Travel ~9 hours to Teddy Roosevelt National Park
Day 2. - Travel the ~7 hours to Yellowstone National Park
Day 3. - Spend another day at Yellowstone
Day 4. - Travel to Grand Tetons and explore
Day 5. - Travel ~8 hours to Black Hills somewhere
Day 6. - Finish ~ 9 hour drive home

Any suggestions on side journeys or other things to look at.

Aiming for middle May to avoid the crowds.
>>
>>978832
I think you're a bit too optimistic with your times. Maybe try to fit 2 or 3 parks into that time frame.
>>
>>978251
if you're looking for an n.p. it looks like your choices are there or cuyahoga valley. and cuyahoga looks like fucking garbage, so i'd head to mammoth caves.

>>978832
>6 day trip
>4 days with 7+ hours of driving
>looking for sidetrips
i honestly hope you're trolling and not actually a retard. just go to yellowstone or grand tetons (or rocky mountain might be in range) and spend 3 days there.
>>
>>978903
When I visit Teddy Roosevelt and Badlands I'm mainly just looking for a campsite with some rad scenery.

>>978942
I really wish I could stretch into a two weekend trip for 9 total days but I'm not sure if I can do that with other commitments on weekends in May.

When I say sidetrips I was thinking maybe Little Bighorn Battlefield National monument is about an hour off route from Teddy Roosevelt to Yellowstone or Devil's tower is about an hour and half off Grand Tetons to Badlands. Also looking at Minuteman Missile National Monument because it is right on the interstate in South Dakota on the way back. Should I just skip those places?
>>
Chicago -> Western Nebraska
Western Nebraska -> to Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Black Canyon -> Arches National Park/Canyonlands
Arches/Canyonlands -> Bryce Canyon via Capitol Reef (mostly just driving through)
Bryce Canyoon -> Zion National Park
Zion -> Western Nebraska
Western Nebraska -> Chicago

I have a week off in early June. How does this look? Too many parks in too little time? How to trim it up
>>
>>979194
>Zion -> Western Nebraska
Why not go from Zion to Teton/Yellowstone and *then* back down to western nebraska
>>
>>971746
The most amazing place in the lower 48 that I've ever been to is Yosemite. Close second is the Sierra Nevada.
>>
>>971892
>tfw applied for a job on isle royale
>still haven't heard anything back
>>
>>978832
>>979194
>spending an entire vacation looking at national parks through a car window
sounds like you faggots want /o/, not /out/
>>
>>979354
I'm going with someone who has bad hips so we won't be able to do much hiking. We're kind of limited to scenic drives and sites close to parking lots. It took a lot to convince them we could camp rather than just stay at hotels.
>>
>>977019
When is the best time of year to visit? To avoid the crowds?
>>
File: sd view.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
sd view.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>980566
any time outside summer vacation. june-august are too hot with too many mosquitoes, anyways.

pic from november a couple years ago.
>>
>>979187
I live an hour from the black hills and I can tell you that your in for an amazing trip. The badlands aren't going to be as exciting as you expect, plan on driving through, snapping a few photos and moving on. Make sure to stop at devils tower too, same deal. The black hills has so much going on, you won't even scratch the surface, so I would plan on spending some time there if I were you. If nothing else, make damn sure you drive through spearfish canyon (Highway 14, starts in spearfish and makes a big, beautiful loop back to the interstate.)

All three of these things are like 30 minutes from the interstate and it would be a shame to miss any of them
>>
Oh yeah, and it might go without saying, but Yellowstone and the Tetons are out of this fucking world, so make sure not to spend all your time in the black hills, even though it'll be tempting
>>
Any good parks out east?
>>
>>977019
This is true. I went yesterday and it was relatively empty. Summer time is way too packed for my liking. Feels more like Disneyland than a wilderness. If you can find empty areas, it's easily the most beautiful place in the world in my opinion. Pic related taken yesterday.
>>
>>979194
Take me with you, anon
>>
>>980632
Do places close in the winter due to snow? Considering an off season trip. What's the climate like?
>>
>>981439
valley no, high country yes. well, the roads close, but you're still free to ski, snowshoe, or hike anywhere in the park.
>>
I'm at natural bridge currently, any tips for an adventure. I've never been before so I don't know how /out/ it is
>>
>>982292
Update, the Native American live exhibit is great. When I asked what plants they used to make rope she not only told me, she got some and walked me through the process of turning hemp into rope.
>>
>>982358
"She" being the moneican woman working there
>>
>>980618
no
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.